• Wanyama
    • Schneiderlin
    • Davis
    • Tadic
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Pelle
    • Isgrove
    • Long

I thought victor was class, was talking to some scousers in the ship and mitre about their 3 signings told them they should have signed victor to replace Gerrard . They laughed at me, so I'm glad he completely bossed the midfield.

Thought the left worked well before Tadic tired. Jose looks like he stepped up to the plate and Yoshida did ok . Around me there was quite a bit of moaning about Pelle , but he was up against a solid pair. He started to win some flicks second half. Tough game for him , and I doubt if Lambert was playing he'd have got much change from those 2. I have a feeling he will bully poorish players but struggle against the best.

I thought victor was class, was talking to some scousers in the ship and mitre about their 3 signings told them they should have signed victor to replace Gerrard . They laughed at me, so I'm glad he completely bossed the midfield.

Thought the left worked well before Tadic tired. Jose looks like he stepped up to the plate and Yoshida did ok . Around me there was quite a bit of moaning about Pelle , but he was up against a solid pair. He started to win some flicks second half. Tough game for him , and I doubt if Lambert was playing he'd have got much change from those 2. I have a feeling he will bully poorish players but struggle against the best.

Even if JWP had weighted the ball perfectly, don't think Pelle would have had the pace to go through alone.

The first run was into the channel and Pelle was a little behind Lovren but he checked out and ran away from goal creating some good separation from Lovren who was fully committed to the channel run. I suspect Pelle would have been clear in goal if JWP had seen it.

Even if JWP had weighted the ball perfectly, don't think Pelle would have had the pace to go through alone.

The first run was into the channel and Pelle was a little behind Lovren but he checked out and ran away from goal creating some good separation from Lovren who was fully committed to the channel run. I suspect Pelle would have been clear in goal if JWP had seen it.

I think based on what I've seen there is no reason to be bitter at all.

Likewise Koeman said the points will come if we keep playing like this.

I'm really impressed by James Ward-Prowse he played superb, Tadic also played a proper game.

I'm hoping that Southampton will buy some good players and that Schneiderlin will stay in Southampton, what players do you like to see? I hope Depay, maybe not realistic but I think it'll be a good step up for Depay to play in a EPL club where he is sure he is a starter.

For the central defender spot I'd say Fonte and Yoshida are actually ok and good enough, I don't know what central defender would be an ungrade on them. Maybe Vlaar but I don't see him leaving Aston Villa.

I'm really impressed by James Ward-Prowse he played superb, Tadic also played a proper game.

I'm hoping that Southampton will buy some good players and that Schneiderlin will stay in Southampton, what players do you like to see? I hope Depay, maybe not realistic but I think it'll be a good step up for Depay to play in a EPL club where he is sure he is a starter.

For the central defender spot I'd say Fonte and Yoshida are actually ok and good enough, I don't know what central defender would be an ungrade on them. Maybe Vlaar but I don't see him leaving Aston Villa.

Not sure Depay is too realistic for us! I think James really came into his own when it was tactically altered in the 2nd half, he was moved just behind Pelle and got much more involved in an advanced role. In the first half he was a lot deeper and didn't have the space to operate in.

I wonder if we finally have a manager who is able to get the best out of James? I think in space with the ball, he can cause all sorts of issues as he's agile has a very good brain and is technically very gifted....but throwing him into a congested midfield 3 isn't always the best for him, so allowing him to roam in an AMC position may bring out a side of the game we've not yet seen from James.

Not sure Depay is too realistic for us! I think James really came into his own when it was tactically altered in the 2nd half, he was moved just behind Pelle and got much more involved in an advanced role. In the first half he was a lot deeper and didn't have the space to operate in.

I wonder if we finally have a manager who is able to get the best out of James? I think in space with the ball, he can cause all sorts of issues as he's agile has a very good brain and is technically very gifted....but throwing him into a congested midfield 3 isn't always the best for him, so allowing him to roam in an AMC position may bring out a side of the game we've not yet seen from James.

Cheers - how strong or credible is the Spurs/Depay link?

I don't really believe that he will go to a big EPL club like Manchester United, he is a young player and he needs to play every week as starter.

I rate the chance that he will leave 50/50 and when he leaves PSV I think he will go for a club like Southampton or Spurs, but he will cost you at least 20m pounds, I'm afraid.

Otherwise an attacking line up with Tadic, Pellè and JWP is good enough.

What players do you want to see to come?

I don't really believe that he will go to a big EPL club like Manchester United, he is a young player and he needs to play every week as starter.

I rate the chance that he will leave 50/50 and when he leaves PSV I think he will go for a club like Southampton or Spurs, but he will cost you at least 20m pounds, I'm afraid.

I would be happy with Depay, a lot of pace and quality that we're missing in certain area's at the moment - but he's probably slightly out of our level at the moment.

Using my football manager geekness here, but what is Luciano Narsingh like in real life? Seems to have bags of pace and skill, could be an option.

I would be happy with Depay, a lot of pace and quality that we're missing in certain area's at the moment - but he's probably slightly out of our level at the moment.

Using my football manager geekness here, but what is Luciano Narsingh like in real life? Seems to have bags of pace and skill, could be an option.

Then I'm afraid there is no chance :lol:

I'm not sure what players I want in frankly, a rb is I think needed and I'd rather retain Rodrigues and Cork than sign anyone else. A young gk as cover if Boruc leaves would also be top prize as I do not think Gazzaninga is good enough and super Kel, whilst a Saints hero, is also I feel not up to scratch beyond squad depth at this level.

Then I'm afraid there is no chance :lol:

I'm not sure what players I want in frankly, a rb is I think needed and I'd rather retain Rodrigues and Cork than sign anyone else. A young gk as cover if Boruc leaves would also be top prize as I do not think Gazzaninga is good enough and super Kel, whilst a Saints hero, is also I feel not up to scratch beyond squad depth at this level.

Just watched the extended highlights and on that basis have voted for Clyne as our MoM, not just for the goal but for overall performance. Wanyama was good but his mis-hit shot took him below Clyne IMHO. Worried about Davis, who was one of our best players on many occasions last season, but in this game his performance seemed to be peppered with errors just when it mattered, although the foul on him by Sturridge, in the area, that Dave Merrington points out in his commentary, should have resulted in a penalty.

Going forward Clyne was decent but defensively he was very poor. In the first 30 minutes he was the worst player on the pitch. The only things Wanyama did wrong all day was the mis-hit shot and the poor header that led to their second. Apart from that he was absolutely brilliant.

On another topic Yoshida seriously gets a bad time on here. Maya is prone to the odd moment of clumsiness, but any error is immediately hounded out on here with a page's worth of "Yoshida is ****" etc. and anything good he does (like a crucial well-timed tackle on Coutinho) gets barely a few posts of acknowledgement.

There were even people trying to blame Yoshida for their first goal yesterday, despite the fact he was 20 yards away covering Sturridge's run on the right flank. The replay shows that Fonte got his positioning wrong and played Sterling onside, where Clyne and Yoshida were in-line playing him off.

Davis had a mixed day, he made some good forward runs and interceptions but that chance. . . .

As for Gerrard though, jeez. I completely get the "****-poor Pirlo parody" comments on here. I've never seen a player fade so much in 5 years or so. I watched the highlights again this morning and he looked gassed after 55 minutes.

Just watched the extended highlights and on that basis have voted for Clyne as our MoM, not just for the goal but for overall performance. Wanyama was good but his mis-hit shot took him below Clyne IMHO. Worried about Davis, who was one of our best players on many occasions last season, but in this game his performance seemed to be peppered with errors just when it mattered, although the foul on him by Sturridge, in the area, that Dave Merrington points out in his commentary, should have resulted in a penalty.

Going forward Clyne was decent but defensively he was very poor. In the first 30 minutes he was the worst player on the pitch. The only things Wanyama did wrong all day was the mis-hit shot and the poor header that led to their second. Apart from that he was absolutely brilliant.

On another topic Yoshida seriously gets a bad time on here. Maya is prone to the odd moment of clumsiness, but any error is immediately hounded out on here with a page's worth of "Yoshida is ****" etc. and anything good he does (like a crucial well-timed tackle on Coutinho) gets barely a few posts of acknowledgement.

There were even people trying to blame Yoshida for their first goal yesterday, despite the fact he was 20 yards away covering Sturridge's run on the right flank. The replay shows that Fonte got his positioning wrong and played Sterling onside, where Clyne and Yoshida were in-line playing him off.

Davis had a mixed day, he made some good forward runs and interceptions but that chance. . . .

As for Gerrard though, jeez. I completely get the "****-poor Pirlo parody" comments on here. I've never seen a player fade so much in 5 years or so. I watched the highlights again this morning and he looked gassed after 55 minutes.

Well, Narsingh is after a long injury period not the same player as before, he isn't even a starter for PSV.

He won't be a good singing for any EPL team at the moment, maybe next year when he probably reach his old level.

Well, Narsingh is after a long injury period not the same player as before, he isn't even a starter for PSV.

He won't be a good singing for any EPL team at the moment, maybe next year when he probably reach his old level.

Good post.

Yoshida hardly put a foot wrong yesterday, other than a couple of poor cross-field passes in the first half that could have been punished, but weren't. It really is amazing how some people on here were blaming him for the first goal, you really wonder whether some people actually watch the game or know what Yoshida looks like. Its worth remembering as well that he has hardly played since about March when he was injured apart from 3 games in the World Cup. He was a bit rusty and it showed early on with those passes, but thats all. Much like Morgan was a bit rusty and off the pace and made a couple of mistakes that normally he would not make. Davis' chance was poorly taken, but he did work the keeper and you could see what he was trying to do, i.e. place the shot, again perhaps some rustiness and a reluctance to shoot from range being a hangover from the Poch era, he should have just leathered it and Mignolet would not have stood a chance.

Good post.

Yoshida hardly put a foot wrong yesterday, other than a couple of poor cross-field passes in the first half that could have been punished, but weren't. It really is amazing how some people on here were blaming him for the first goal, you really wonder whether some people actually watch the game or know what Yoshida looks like. Its worth remembering as well that he has hardly played since about March when he was injured apart from 3 games in the World Cup. He was a bit rusty and it showed early on with those passes, but thats all. Much like Morgan was a bit rusty and off the pace and made a couple of mistakes that normally he would not make. Davis' chance was poorly taken, but he did work the keeper and you could see what he was trying to do, i.e. place the shot, again perhaps some rustiness and a reluctance to shoot from range being a hangover from the Poch era, he should have just leathered it and Mignolet would not have stood a chance.

i only watched the match live on tv , but it seemed that Anfield was really quiet during virtualy the whole match, apart from the last 10 mins. You could here our fans more.

to you lot that were there, what was the atmosphere like? I've heard from others that the place has lost all of its past reputation.

good place to go out on the town before hand?

anyone spot Adam around the ground? or was he in disguise maybe?

See also: any away game at a big club.

I've pointed the quietness out to the locals, but they say "it's only Southampton" in return.

Think I preferred it when we were big time charlies in the lower leagues. Hate-lined faces in Oldham were much tastier than the prawn-flavoured indifference of the big club fan.

Not even a new thing either. I remember going to Old Trafford over a decade ago and it being whisper quiet apart from the goals. Called the Theatre of Dreams because their fans are all asleep.

"Would sir be so kind as to awaken me when we win our next trophy?"

"Absolutely, old bean!"

etc, etc.

i only watched the match live on tv , but it seemed that Anfield was really quiet during virtualy the whole match, apart from the last 10 mins. You could here our fans more.

to you lot that were there, what was the atmosphere like? I've heard from others that the place has lost all of its past reputation.

good place to go out on the town before hand?

anyone spot Adam around the ground? or was he in disguise maybe?

See also: any away game at a big club.

I've pointed the quietness out to the locals, but they say "it's only Southampton" in return.

Think I preferred it when we were big time charlies in the lower leagues. Hate-lined faces in Oldham were much tastier than the prawn-flavoured indifference of the big club fan.

Not even a new thing either. I remember going to Old Trafford over a decade ago and it being whisper quiet apart from the goals. Called the Theatre of Dreams because their fans are all asleep.

"Would sir be so kind as to awaken me when we win our next trophy?"

"Absolutely, old bean!"

etc, etc.

Just watched the full match after having seen the highlights yesterday. Very impressed by almost everyone on the pitch.

Pelle has taken some stick and I can see why, but I am still hopeful that he can score goals in this league, as well as setting them up, as you could see from the great chest down for Morgan when Mignolet made the wonder save to stop us from getting a point.

I hope Gardos will be an upgrade on Yoshida because he really does make too many silly errors, even if he is excellent 90% of the time.

Clyne made a few errors early on, but that was a stupendous goal and he learned from the early part of the game to carry out his defensive duties better. He is definitely better than Johnson of Liverpool and I wouldn't have picked Chambers ahead of him, either. I'd be worried if he gets injured, though, as Cork isn't nearly as good a right back as he is defensive midfielder and looking at the U21s, their best defenders seem to prefer CB to RB as their best position.

Bertrand was better than I expected and hardly put a foot wrong, as well as being a real threat going forward. Just needs to find that killer ball in for Pelle.

Wanyama did one thing wrong all game, which was the weak header in the lead up to their winner, but otherwise was superb.

Morgan also was a bit weak in the tackle with Henderson before he put Sterling through for the first goal, but we really need him to stay if we're to finish anywhere near last season's position.

I was impressed with Ward-Prowse playing further forward. I'm not sure if that's where he'll be all season, but he showed promise there.

Tadic is going to be one of our key players without any doubt. Not everything he does comes off, but his record last season for creating chances was incredible and he looks like the best hope we have for unlocking defences most of the time.

Fonte was showing real captain's qualities and lead well from the back.

Davis did his usual thing - not much to criticise further back, but a bit more composure in front of goal could have given us a winner.

Forster was solid and couldn't be blamed for either goal. Distribution looked decent, too.

Long and Isgrove didn't seem to improve them team when they came on. They may have provided fresh legs, but I didn't think either looked likely to have the quality to make something happen. They were the most disappointing, although neither had a great deal of time. I would have liked to have seen Taider given a little time on the pitch as his shooting and passing look more likely to cause problems.

Overall, well done Ronald Koeman on shaping this new team in time to make such a positive impression for the first match of the season. I am sure we won't be near the bottom of the table come the end of the season.

Just watched a few of the highlights again and I am not so sure Long's header didn't glance off the back of Johnson before it went out. Clutching at straws maybe and I do think he has to prove his value, but I'm not prepared to hang him for one miss under pressure.

Just watched a few of the highlights again and I am not so sure Long's header didn't glance off the back of Johnson before it went out. Clutching at straws maybe and I do think he has to prove his value, but I'm not prepared to hang him for one miss under pressure.

I thought that at the time and shouted for corner.

No doubt, comparisons will already be made with Diego Costa and Leonardo Ulloa who scored on their debuts, and Pelle, who didn't.

Diego Costa cost £32m, Ulloa £8m, so you can't say you get what you pay for.

Some have already weighed Pelle off as a No-shot striker, but neither did not have the sort of chance that fell to both Diego Costa and Ulloa.

It's probably not Pelle's fault he did not have any chances created for him and it would have been interesting to see what would have happened had Davis's chance fallen to him.

I think we'll have a better idea of what Pelle is about when the first clear-cut chance drops his way and how he deals with it.

This tickled me on a Liverpool blog:"Southampton were not to be out-foxed by Liverpool and they too have had their fair share of heartache majority of it caused by Liverpool. Ronald Koeman also opted for the modern day classic 4-3-3, his very own version of a dark grey suit. With Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Davis acting like the three buttoned slim fitting dinner jacket. Whilst Tadic, Pellè and Ward- Prowse were the perfectly lined lapels to this little number, they looked dangerous. Once again the defensive lineup was the fashion equivalent to a cigarette cut trouser but they too had a chink in their armour, a badly hemmed trouser leg that goes by the name of Yoshida."

This tickled me on a Liverpool blog:"Southampton were not to be out-foxed by Liverpool and they too have had their fair share of heartache majority of it caused by Liverpool. Ronald Koeman also opted for the modern day classic 4-3-3, his very own version of a dark grey suit. With Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Davis acting like the three buttoned slim fitting dinner jacket. Whilst Tadic, Pellè and Ward- Prowse were the perfectly lined lapels to this little number, they looked dangerous. Once again the defensive lineup was the fashion equivalent to a cigarette cut trouser but they too had a chink in their armour, a badly hemmed trouser leg that goes by the name of Yoshida."

Funny, but odd considering that Yoshida wasn't at fault for the goals :-/

If you pass the ball directly to the opposition unnecessarily enough times in a match, you're going to justifiably get some of the blame. We conceded possession in our own half way too many times following Yoshida touches.

True, but he was all over the place first half and its a fair comment by the blogger that he's the weakest link in our team at the moment imo. Seems fans of other teams can see it too. I didn't post that to have a pop at Maya though I just liked the way he wrote that piece.

If you pass the ball directly to the opposition unnecessarily enough times in a match, you're going to justifiably get some of the blame. We conceded possession in our own half way too many times following Yoshida touches.

Agreed, but I think everyone saw that, and expects that every game from Yoshida (looking forward to Gardos coming in). I was just surprised a Liverpool fan picked up on him as a weak link in that game, as he wasn't directly responsible for any goals.