Jos Hooiveld to Burnley?

Saint-Armstrong

If he goes it suggests another centre back coming in, or Koeman thinks Stephens is ready to be 4th choice.

Burnley really have shown a lack of ambition with their incomings, Hooiveld would be another signing seemingly preparing for life in the Championship next season.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Worth bearing in mind that while Hooiveld isn't the best, he was a first team regular in 2012/13 and we stayed up.

It was with Fonte and Yoshida we stayed up in that season, Hooiveld was out of his depth. He has never risen above Championship level.

He's a great character and important part of the promotion season, but Saints progressed beyond Hooiveld.

Without having seen him play, I know he's better than Wayne Thomas. :rolleyes:

What are Burnley doing? Trying to sign players who will improve the team and getting knocked back on fees, wages, or outbid - that's one. And strengthening the squad in areas where we don't have any strength in depth - that's two.

We've only got three proper centre backs, and one of them hasn't been a first team player since he went on loan to Accrington Stanley, so we need cover. I think that's where Hooivled would fit in. And as he probably thinks he can force either Shackell or Duff (the mighty, but elderly, Duff has actually looked more comfortable than Shackell in limited play so far) out of the team, then hopefully this at least is a transfer we can make stick.

Without having seen him play, I know he's better than Wayne Thomas. :rolleyes:

What are Burnley doing? Trying to sign players who will improve the team and getting knocked back on fees, wages, or outbid - that's one. And strengthening the squad in areas where we don't have any strength in depth - that's two.

We've only got three proper centre backs, and one of them hasn't been a first team player since he went on loan to Accrington Stanley, so we need cover. I think that's where Hooivled would fit in. And as he probably thinks he can force either Shackell or Duff (the mighty, but elderly, Duff has actually looked more comfortable than Shackell in limited play so far) out of the team, then hopefully this at least is a transfer we can make stick.

The only problem is that he's not a Premiership player, he is truly out of his depth at this level. He's a great lad, a great personality to have around the place, but he's so out of his depth in the premiership. I kind of felt sorry for him at times.

It was with Fonte and Yoshida we stayed up in that season, Hooiveld was out of his depth. He has never risen above Championship level.

He's a great character and important part of the promotion season, but Saints progressed beyond Hooiveld.

Fonte missed a couple of months that season and Hooiveld stepped in and did okay. Had a really good game against Man City I seem to remember. By the end of that season he was keeping Yoshida out of the side.

Granted, he wasn't great in his few appearances last season!

He played 28 games in our first season back in the premier league, including games which we won against Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City, as well as keeping clean sheets in important games such as Everton, villa, Reading and Swansea.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=53176&season_id=142

Mr.Wrong.gif

Fonte missed a couple of months that season and Hooiveld stepped in and did okay. Had a really good game against Man City I seem to remember. By the end of that season he was keeping Yoshida out of the side.

Granted, he wasn't great in his few appearances last season!

You forget he scores in midweek St Mary's games as well.

He played 28 games in our first season back in the premier league, including games which we won against Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City, as well as keeping clean sheets in important games such as Everton, villa, Reading and Swansea.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=53176&season_id=142

Mr.Wrong.gif

:lol:

Was about to say the same thing.

Schoolboy error(s) by Mr Wrong.

:lol:

Was about to say the same thing.

Schoolboy error(s) by Mr Wrong.

Has Turkish still not realised I've had him on ignore for roughly the last 15 months? Is he really that slow to cotton on? Its only you quoting him that allows me to see it.

As you think the same thing, I'll say it to you, he was found out in a lot of games at Premier League level - pretty much every game (even those in which we kept clean sheets). Are you suggesting he is a competent Premier League level defender then? Would you be happy to see him play a lot for us again? Do you not think he is slow, lacks positional sense at a high level, weak in the air, a poor passer and is uncomfortable on the ball at Premier League level?

You've had a nightmare night mate :lol: quit trying so hard to correct people :)

On Jos, i think he simply needs regular football to be a success. When he was a regular for us he did great, when he wasnt he didnt. Simples

Hooiveld played when we beat City 3-1 no?

Just quadruple checking as I'm not sure your word can be trusted.

Hooiveld played when we beat City 3-1 no?

So what? That doesn't mean he had a good game.

He was found out in a lot of games at Premier League level - pretty much every game (even those in which we kept clean sheets). Are you suggesting he is a competent Premier League level defender then? Would you be happy to see him play a lot for us again? Do you not think he is slow, lacks positional sense at a high level, weak in the air, a poor passer and is uncomfortable on the ball at Premier League level?

So what? That doesn't mean he had a good game.

He was found out in a lot of games at Premier League level - pretty much every game (even those in which we kept clean sheets). Are you suggesting he is a competent Premier League level defender then? Would you be happy to see him play a lot for us again? Do you not think he is slow, lacks positional sense at a high level, weak in the air, a poor passer and is uncomfortable on the ball at Premier League level?

You get so precious when you get challenged, chill out, take a holiday or something.

Has Turkish still not realised I've had him on ignore for roughly the last 15 months? Is he really that slow to cotton on? Its only you quoting him that allows me to see it.

As you think the same thing, I'll say it to you, he was found out in a lot of games at Premier League level - pretty much every game (even those in which we kept clean sheets). Are you suggesting he is a competent Premier League level defender then? Would you be happy to see him play a lot for us again? Do you not think he is slow, lacks positional sense at a high level, weak in the air, a poor passer and is uncomfortable on the ball at Premier League level?

Oh i know and I knew someone would quote it Mr wrong. You said we stayed up due to Yoshida and Fonte. Jos played in over half our games. You are wrong.

Mr.Wrong.gif

Agree he's out of his depth, though as a factual statement it's simply wrong to say he wasn't involved in us staying up.

He's always good for an error but mistakes are often due to rushes of blood to the head rather than persistent poor play. It didn't help that for long stretches that he and Fox played on the same side; unsurprisingly, he was much more confident when Shaw was around (his performance last season at the Emirates was pretty decent IIRC).

Agree he's out of his depth, though as a factual statement it's simply wrong to say he wasn't involved in us staying up.

At no point did I say he didn't play a significant number of games, what I said is that he was out of his depth in the Premier League. I think we stayed up in 2012/13 despite him playing, rather than because he did. He was the weaklink whenever he played in the Premier League and was someone opponents would look to exploit, even in games we won and/or kept clean sheets.

At Championship level his defienciencies can be glossed over and he showed himself to be effective in our promotion campaign. The Premier League is a different matter and he is a signicant weakling that makes extra work for his team-mates to cover his lack of pace, positional awareness and distribution errors.

Edited by Matthew Le God

At no point did I say he didn't play a significant number of games, what I said is that he was out of his depth in the Premier League. I think we stayed up in 2012/13 despite him playing, rather than because he did. He was the weaklink whenever he played in the Premier League and was someone opponents would look to exploit, even in games we won and/or kept clean sheets.

At Championship level his defienciencies can be glossed over and he showed himself to be effective in our promotion campaign. The Premier League is a different matter and he is a signicant weakling that makes extra work for his team-mates to cover his lack of pace, positional awareness and distribution errors.

Mr.Wrong.gif

Oh **** it. Turkish is off ignore for the first time in 15 months. I've read his last post.

Those two posts he quoted of mine do NOT contradict each other.

I think we stayed up in 2012/13 despite Hooiveld playing, rather than because he did. He was the weaklink whenever he played in the Premier League and was someone opponents would look to exploit, even in games we won and/or kept clean sheets.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Oh **** it. Turkish is off ignore for the first time in 15 months. I've read his last post.

Those two posts he quoted of mine do NOT contradict each other.

I think we stayed up in 2012/13 despite Hooiveld playing, rather than because he did. He was the weaklink whenever he played in the Premier League and was someone opponents would look to exploit, even in games we won and/or kept clean sheets.

You do see the irony that you take pleasure correcting all and sundry, relentlessly and annoyingly all the time. That if you slip up ...