Is the Capital One cup still beneath us?

Turkish

Did you not enjoy Wembley in 76 or going to Cardiff in 2003?

I wasn't born in 76. Yes I enjoyed Cardiff aside from the result, but even in the last ten years or so the importance of the cups has diminished a lot imo and I certainly don't get the same rush of adrenaline as when we win a league match.

I wasn't born in 76. Yes I enjoyed Cardiff aside from the result, but even in the last ten years or so the importance of the cups has diminished a lot imo and I certainly don't get the same rush of adrenaline as when we win a league match.

But you have never experienced winning a major trophy, how can you say it has diminished?

Who can forget the unforgettable thrill ride of the last five games of last season.

Clearly the cups have no magic anymore, and you can see why. No magic whatsoever. Wembley day out? No magic. Trophy win? No magic.

In contrast, the thrilling climax to our season last year, culminating in the unforgettable last weekend knife-edge clash with Man U, and the "We finished eighth" street parties that celebrated that truly magical achievement.

Easily the most magical time of my life that was, even above the birth of my children.

Edited by CB Fry

or wembley 78 in lc

It's more than that. As Cup Finals they were all great, great days but I have to say the Johnstone's Paint Trophy final was pretty special in itself and in 1992 when we lost in extra-time (a magnificent game) to Forest in the Zenith Data Systems Cup Final (Cloughie's last trophy win) before a packed Wembley. I am sorry but even that one - in a competition some of you will never have heard of - is more prominent in the history books and the memory than any single league game, although 6 goals against United does push it close. 5 finals in 57 years is just not enough so yeh I am for putting some effort in in the Cup competitions.

So, over 100 posts, and nobody thinks that the competition is beneath us and a bit Mickey Mouse for a club of our stature. Nor I think thought it last year.

Few differing opinions on what will keep players here, a cup final or 4th finish.

I can see argument that champions league finish makes us more attractive to players and makes more money, so in reality probably means more to the progress of the club than a cup win.

However, I would get more pleasure from a cup win than 4th and a few erupoean ties, personally much more interested in domestic football.

Incredible that you weren't alive the only time we've won a major trophy (Neither was I) and you're happy to go through life seeing saints never win a major trophy, as long as we win a few league games a season. Baffling, truely baffling.

So, over 100 posts, and nobody thinks that the competition is beneath us and a bit Mickey Mouse for a club of our stature. Nor I think thought it last year.

Few differing opinions on what will keep players here, a cup final or 4th finish.

I can see argument that champions league finish makes us more attractive to players and makes more money, so in reality probably means more to the progress of the club than a cup win.

However, I would get more pleasure from a cup win than 4th and a few erupoean ties, personally much more interested in domestic football.

There's a quote on this thread that specifically mentions Mickey Mouse, so you're wrong there.

But then you think 9 points from 10 games is "the level of performance needed to finish 5th/6th", so you're wrong about a lot of stuff.

100% this, but also add in LC final, ZDS 1992 or JP Trophy win. All very very lacking in any buzz? Wow

Exactly. I don't care if the wider football public won't remember a League Cup trophy and a Europa League jaunt, because I and the rest of our fans will.

100% this, but also add in LC final, ZDS 1992 or JP Trophy win. All very very lacking in any buzz? Wow

Nobody said that, you've just conjured it out of thin air.

Sure there is a buzz following a cup win but how long does it last? A few days, weeks, a couple of months? I think I would get more of a buzz out of playing in the Champions League if we could qualify.

Supposing we had a European campaign with two trips to places like Madrid, Barca, Roma, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG and Porto. To some that is as good as, maybe better than, a Wembley cup final. Maybe not to you, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

The people who would prefer a couple of decent European away days to a cup win should at least be respected, not met with the tedious, flippant, condescending sarcasm that CB Fry and Turkish seem to revel in.

Sure there is a buzz following a cup win but how long does it last? A few days, weeks, a couple of months? I think I would get more of a buzz out of playing in the Champions League if we could qualify.

Supposing we had a European campaign with two trips to places like Madrid, Barca, Roma, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG and Porto. To some that is as good as, maybe better than, a Wembley cup final. Maybe not to you, that's your opinion and you are entitled to it.

The people who would prefer a couple of decent European away days to a cup win should at least be respected, not met with the tedious, flippant, condescending sarcasm that CB Fry and Turkish seem to revel in.

I think your comparison of us winning the League Cup this season - a realistic achievable aim - with a fictional European campaign where we go on a unparalleled tour of every major team in Europe in one season deserves no more than sarcasm quite frankly.

And you've "conjured" that bulls h it comparison "out of thin air" yourself as the debate on here is about finishing sixth or fifth or the league cup, not League Cup vs a multi match run in the Champions League.

There's a quote on this thread that specifically mentions Mickey Mouse, so you're wrong there.

But then you think 9 points from 10 games is "the level of performance needed to finish 5th/6th", so you're wrong about a lot of stuff.

Strange post, really don't know what you are talking about.

Not sure if you understood the stats for 5/6th, but as with all predictions can't be guaranteed but sure, if you can get your head around theory you will see its not flawed.

Not going to get personal as have no idea if you are young teenager, or have issues but you do seem to just want to snipe at people for the sake of it. Don't know if you realise? Sure no benefit to you in being negative, as all here for same enjoyment.

a fictional European campaign where we go on a unparalleled tour of every major team in Europe in one season deserves no more than sarcasm quite frankly.

a European campaign with two trips to places like Madrid, Barca, Roma, Juve, Bayern, Dortmund, PSG and Porto.

Okay, I'm done talking to a man who backs up his arguments by pretending he can't understand basic sentences. Good night everyone!

If anyone cares, I was talking about Champions League football in response to this post.

but presumably bringing in players would be with the view to being successful and winning something? Why wouldn't you prefer immediate success this season rather than finishing 4th in the hope that you have a better chance of winning something in later years? I find that mentality bizarre. I've supported saints for so many years in order to see us win something not finish 4th and lose away to Roma.

But the cup is by far our most realistic chance of getting into Europe.

Okay, I'm done talking to a man who backs up his arguments by pretending he can't understand basic sentences. Good night everyone!

If anyone cares, I was talking about Champions League football in response to this post.

Hands up, I missed the word two.

Either way, the likelihood of us making the Champions League is utterly miniscule and I am not worried about us ever achieving it because it almost certainly never will happen.

Winning the League Cup can happen and I would love it if we did. And despite what you say it will live long, long in the memory of me and many Saints fans.

And, it gives us potential European trips too. Funny that.

I'll take the League Cup run as far as it goes and think we should field our best team available.

But in January if we are still looking good in the Premiership I would be happy to forego a full-blooded tilt at the FA Cup in the 3rd and 4th rounds. If we got to the 5th round then we could think again dependent on Premiership placing.

Edited by TopGun

I would absolutely love a cup final, let alone an actual win. It is a shame that it does not represent such a big deal in the media, but I think from the viewpoint of a set of fans enjoying the buildup and the day, the experience would be just the same as it always has been.

The only time as a fan that you can imagine not being fussed about a cup run would be in the midst of a championship to premier league promotion campaign, if you believed it was yours to throw away. At our level it has just got so much more exciting because we just have such a great chance in the cups now.

So you'd rather be the 6th best team in the country but without a trophy than the 10th best team with a few to their name, fair enough.

Isn't being a sports club about trying to win things though? Isn't that the whole point? I fail to see the compelling reason why anyone would want to finish the season empty handed and slightly higher in the league than with a trophy in the cabinet. Able to brag about being about being 6th rather than 10th? nah, give me a trophy any day. I cant remember the last club to do an open bus parade waving the cheque for finishing 6th to the joyous crowd so maybe when that day comes it might change my view.

Again, no-one *doesn't* want the cup win, but yeah a lot of people would rather see Saints finish in the Champions League, which the rest of the footballing world seems to value higher than our own domestic competitions.

This is the other thing, if, (completely hypothetically), Saints did finish 4th, kept hold of their better players, added new ones, expanded the stadium/fanbase etc. the club would develop into one that would naturally be in a position to win trophies in the future.

And finally we're not talking about a cup win being on offer here, (hell we haven't played in a 1/4 final of either cup competition for ages now), so whats been on offer is a place in the next round with the very likely-to-encounter problem of the fact that we'll probably just run into a big club that'll easily knock us out anyway.

Now when that doesn't apply, and a cup competition really opens up for us the way it did in last season's FA cup, you'll see a lot of people who'll readily admit they'd rather finish 4th than win the FA cup up in arms and rightly so, as it of course made no sense in that circumstance not to abandon the league and try and go all out for the cup.

Luckily I am not going to ask for "Examples?" because that's your style not mine.

Look up disparaging and then note that handily Turkish has already put some specific quoted disparaging remarks up, that's what I am saying, and that is what happened.

:lol:

You want examples? You mean you want me to present ACTUAL EVIDENCE!? How DARE YOU!

:lol:

...but lets agree to differ on from that point.

Would you perhaps address the second issue I've raised? (and particularly the last question)

"And finally, you're both forgetting that there's a degree of chicken-and-egg to this.

The cups are valued less *because* a great many of the bigger teams don't care that much about them. Manchester City will not fail to beat Newcastle at home in the League, mark my words, yet their defeat tonight isn't *that* surprising.

For my generation; the cups have never been that big a deal, the Champions League has. We didn't decide on this, it wasn't our *choice*. It is simply the way its been throughout most of our lives. As such, yes, many of us would value 4th place in the Premiership over a domestic trophy that you only win, in part, because the bigger clubs aren't all that arsed about anyway.

To what standard do you hold us in terms of saying that we're somehow *wrong* to feel that way?"

• 2 years later...
Well everyone is it???

The micky mouse cup many weren't arsed about a few years back as we were on our unstoppable march to take our rightful place in the champions league.

Whats the view now?

If you're asking if we'd prefer Champions League football or the LC, i'd choose champions league football.

Maybe this is just a sign of how our ambitions have changed ;)