Is the Capital One cup still beneath us?

Turkish

If we could pull off a trip to Wembley for the league cup final, I for one would be over the moon. Turks is right, there were loads of posters here deriding it last season as not worth the bother compared to a spot or two up the division, but most of us look back on even the JPT day out as being a fantastic one. A proper shot at a cup would be great.

Why do you support the club? If you can't enjoy a LC win as it is not famous years on amongst other fans I pity you.

Which part of, "I'd love to win the LC," leads you to think I wouldn't enjoy winning the LC?

Not Manchester City, Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool then?

Nope. Nobody will be comparing us to those teams if we win the LC, they will be comparing us to other such mid table teams who have won it.

Can't recall people saying it was below us, do recall MP 'resting' two starters and only bringing them on after an hour.

How many did RK rest tonight? Two again?

Fans enjoying getting to latter stages of a cup shock!

Apparently not all according to Turks.

would be great to reach the final.

best thing about LC is 2 leg semi final

78 against Leeds was a classic

was a post the other day saying OWTSGMI was not a rousing song , that poster should have been at The Dell on the night of the 2nd leg against Leeds, after Terry Curran scored, the place was bouncing with the song

Which part of, "I'd love to win the LC," leads you to think I wouldn't enjoy winning the LC?

Nope. Nobody will be comparing us to those teams if we win the LC, they will be comparing us to other such mid table teams who have won it.

Why do you care what clubs "people compare us to" anyway?

Can't recall people saying it was below us, do recall MP 'resting' two starters and only bringing them on after an hour.

How many did RK rest tonight? Two again?

Fans enjoying getting to latter stages of a cup shock!

You "can't recall" statements you posted, yourself, even when they are quoted directly back at you. So not sure you are a reliable witness.

My favourite posts of all are when the forum's geniuses get together and pretend "no one ever said that". Nice to see the tradition is alive and well. No one ever described the LC as Micky Mouse on here. No one ever said that.

You "can't recall" statements you posted, yourself, even when they are quoted directly back at you. So not sure you are a reliable witness.

My favourite posts of all are when the forum's geniuses get together and pretend "no one ever said that". Nice to see the tradition is alive and well. No one ever described the LC as Micky Mouse on here. No one ever said that.

As long as we've got someone vigilant like yourself to pick people up on it that's all that matters. Keep up the good work sir.

I can't speak for others but I'm very grateful for your endeavours

:)

Edited by trousers

As long as we've got someone like yourself to pick people up on it that's all that matters. Keep up the good work sir.

I can't speak for others but I'm very grateful for your endeavours

:)

Sometimes I think it's all pointless but occasional comments like this give me the strength to keep going.

Personally I couldn't give less off a hoot. I'm just pointing out that a LC win, whilst fun, would hardly send shockwaves through the world of football.

What can Saints do that would send shock waves through the world of football? Finishing fifth in the league?

As an aside, if we do manage to get past the Blades, to deal with the rush of JCLs, will number of away trips of any kind count favourably for tickets, or will prior LC trips get priority? If the latter, would help reward people who did give a ****e from the off

Edited by Bucks Saint

As an aside, if we do manage to get past the Blades, to deal with the rush of JCLs, will number of away trips of any kind count favourably for tickets, or will prior LC trips get priority? If the latter, would help reward people who did give a ****e from the off

I love it when there's a sudden mad scramble for tickets from people that couldn't be arsed to go in previous rounds, especially those who bang on about how much they'd like to see us win this cup.

Thoroughly enjoyed the the JPT adventure as a League One side and glad we won it.

I would take the League Cup win over fourth place. Great to win some silverware to add to the honours list, fourth only gets a Play-off game to the the Champions League and it'll be against a team that has a high co-efficient so is likely to be a difficult opponent.

I love it when there's a sudden mad scramble for tickets from people that couldn't be arsed to go in previous rounds, especially those who bang on about how much they'd like to see us win this cup.

Yep. I shall be smug with mine (as long as I get them via Northern Saints).

Nipper and I apparently have a dental appointment the afternoon of the Blades game. Odd that.

Yep. I shall be smug with mine (as long as I get them via Northern Saints).

Nipper and I apparently have a dental appointment the afternoon of the Blades game. Odd that.

Yep, I am sure I have a meeting in our Sheffield office that afternoon too, but to save the company money I am fully prepared to stay with my Blades mate overnight and travel back off-peak

What can Saints do that would send shock waves through the world of football? Finishing fifth in the league?

I honestly have no idea what point you're trying to make.

Winning the League Cup would be fun and everyone would love to do it, nobody is arguing otherwise. It wont mean a lot in the grand scheme of things though, cup wins don't bring in big money or attract star players. Winning it wont convince the likes of Morgan, J Rod and Clyne to stay if we end up 7th or 8th in the League.

FWIW my priorities would be top 4, then FA Cup win, then LC win, then Europa League place.

Winning the League Cup would be fun and everyone would love to do it, nobody is arguing otherwise. It wont mean a lot in the grand scheme of things though, cup wins don't bring in big money or attract star players. Winning it wont convince the likes of Morgan, J Rod and Clyne to stay if we end up 7th or 8th in the League.

FWIW my priorities would be top 4, then FA Cup win, then LC win, then Europa League place.

This.

Just worked out that should we win it's nailed on we'll get Newcastle in the semis because the games have been getting progressively more Northern every round. Millwall, Arsenal, Stoke and Sheffield Utd so far. First leg of semi away at the Toon, then bring them back here to seal our place in the final. Perfect.

I feel sorry for you that you would prefer finishing 4th in a competition than actually winning a cup. Cup for me every time please, I want to win something of consequence in my lifetime.

You raised the "sending shockwaves through the world of football" point, saying an LC win would not do it. So you were asked, what would, finishing 5th?

You raised the "sending shockwaves through the world of football" point, saying an LC win would not do it. So you were asked, what would, finishing 5th?

Nothing, short of actually winning the Premier League.

My point is that winning the LC isn't some massive achievement and that you can't really blame people who prioritise the League, especially so early in the season. Yes, I can see the appeal in winning it but I can fully understand people who would rather rest key players for League games.

The latter would surely make sense and be most fair. Then those with other aways, followed by ST holders and general sale.

Edited by ant

I feel sorry for you that you would prefer finishing 4th in a competition than actually winning a cup. Cup for me every time please, I want to win something of consequence in my lifetime.

Last season I remember some people saying they would rather be in Sunderland's position. Safe in about 16th place and in a cup final, rather than Saints position securely in 8th with an outside shot at the Europa League.

It almost seems like League position is just a random number, handed out at the end of the season. Almost as if there is no difference between 5th and 16th.

I would rather finish 4th because

1 - I would love to see Saints in the Champions League. More so than a 1 off cup final.

2 - we would almost certainly be able to keep our best players.

3 - we would have the cash and appeal to bring in more top players

4 - you don't finish 4th without playing some seriously good football, consistently all season.

Should we win it Would we be the only club in England to have won all current domestic cup competitions? If that doesn't send shock waves round world football I don't know what will.

Wolves have already done it, the fact you don't know that suggests it won't be sending any shockwaves.

Last season I remember some people saying they would rather be in Sunderland's position. Safe in about 16th place and in a cup final, rather than Saints position securely in 8th with an outside shot at the Europa League.

It almost seems like League position is just a random number, handed out at the end of the season. Almost as if there is no difference between 5th and 16th.

1 - I would love to see Saints in the Champions League. More so than a 1 off cup final.

4 - you don't finish 4th without playing some seriously good football, consistently all season.

4th or win the LC and the cup gets the vote as you could easily be knocked out in a qualifying game in the CL.

3rd or win the LC brings a whole different dimension into play as you go straight into the group phase.

Personally the silverware does it for me everytime.

I remember people saying they would rather finish high in the table last season than win a cup because then we had a good chance of winning something in future years. I don't understand that logic!

1) I would enjoy us being in the Champions league but we would be knocked out quickly and would most likely only be there a season. In ten years time I want something tangible for my support such as winning something.

2) what good is keeping players if they never win something?

3) but presumably bringing in players would be with the view to being successful and winning something? Why wouldn't you prefer immediate success this season rather than finishing 4th in the hope that you have a better chance of winning something in later years? I find that mentality bizarre. I've supported saints for so many years in order to see us win something not finish 4th and lose away to Roma.

4) in what way is playing good football better than winning a cup? In the 80s we finished second but I would have far far rather won something during that period than finished second wouldn't you?

Exactly. I'd love to win the LC but it would only put us up there with Blackburn, Middlesbrough and Birmingham in recent history.

The exact same line of argument brings you to "I'd love to qualify for the Champions League but it would only put us up with Blackburn, Newcastle and Everton in recent history", by the way.

If we finish 7th/8th, I think were likely to lose 3/4 key players again. Of course we all know that that wouldn't necessarily spell disaster, but the turnover in players is always a risk and I think if we were to finish 5th or 6th, we would have done enough to convince Morgan, Tadic, Alderweireld, Clyne etc. that the club was progressing.

Winning the League Cup would be great don't get me wrong, but it's not going to convince players that we're a club looking for CL football. I'd much rather finish higher, not win a trophy and as a consequence, put ourselves in a great position to keep the current group together.

Winning the League Cup would put us into Europe, not sure how that wouldn't aid the retention of players looking to play in Europe. I've assumed everyone's leaving in the summer again no matter what we do anyway, it's just easier like that.

I actually agree with Turkish for once.

Plenty of mongs on here were applauding Pochettino for putting out a weak team against Sunderland last year to save their legs for the hope of finishing 7th.

I'm glad Koeman values the cups, that shows real ambition. It's also by far our most likely route into Europe which is how you attract and keep your best players.

I remember people saying they would rather finish high in the table last season than win a cup because then we had a good chance of winning something in future years. I don't understand that logic!

1) I would enjoy us being in the Champions league but we would be knocked out quickly and would most likely only be there a season. In ten years time I want something tangible for my support such as winning something.

2) what good is keeping players if they never win something?

3) but presumably bringing in players would be with the view to being successful and winning something? Why wouldn't you prefer immediate success this season rather than finishing 4th in the hope that you have a better chance of winning something in later years? I find that mentality bizarre. I've supported saints for so many years in order to see us win something not finish 4th and lose away to Roma.

4) in what way is playing good football better than winning a cup? In the 80s we finished second but I would have far far rather won something during that period than finished second wouldn't you?

1 - Says who? Liverpool only have to be better than Basel and Ludogorets to go through to the knockout stage. The fact that they aren't is hilarious but you hardly have to be world beaters to make it out the group (assuming we could get through the qualifier)

2 - To watch good football. I would much rather watch the football we've seen over the last 18 months, rather than win a cup sell our best players and have to sit there watching us lose at home to Villa and Sunderland all season.

3 - I wouldn't prefer immediate success if it's at the expense of the future. Birmingham and Pompey both had their 'instant success' look where they both are now. You would honestly rather win a cup and have an average league season? You would happily see our best players and Koeman leaving IF it was following a cup win?

4 - To me a cup is a fun day out but that's about it. If I'm sat watching garbage football, to me it is little consolation knowing there is a tin pot locked in a cupboard somewhere in the stadium. I wouldn't want a season like Sunderland just had, even if they had won the cup final.

1 - Says who? Liverpool only have to be better than Basel and Ludogorets to go through to the knockout stage. The fact that they aren't is hilarious but you hardly have to be world beaters to make it out the group (assuming we could get through the qualifier)

2 - To watch good football. I would much rather watch the football we've seen over the last 18 months, rather than win a cup sell our best players and have to sit there watching us lose at home to Villa and Sunderland all season.

3 - I wouldn't prefer immediate success if it's at the expense of the future. Birmingham and Pompey both had their 'instant success' look where they both are now. You would honestly rather win a cup and have an average league season? You would happily see our best players and Koeman leaving IF it was following a cup win?

4 - To me a cup is a fun day out but that's about it. If I'm sat watching garbage football, to me it is little consolation knowing there is a tin pot locked in a cupboard somewhere in the stadium. I wouldn't want a season like Sunderland just had, even if they had won the cup final.

How would Saints winning the League Cup "instant success" like Birmingham and Pompey? Wouldn't qualifying for Europe in the league in the same season (this one) be just as "instant"?

I think it jolly sweet that you are carrying on with the laughable assumption that our current players are going to turn down £100k a week pay packets at the likes of Arsenal to stay at Saints because we managed to finished sixth.

Dream the fu ck on.

Bring on the cups. Despite what you want, our manager wants to win the League Cup. So suck it up and stop whining.

I've been to two of the games, expecting football, not Disneyland. We should take it seriously, too. The League Cup hasn't been made worthless by a few big clubs de-prioritising it. Trophies aren't easy to come by in football.

How many times do you hear of players buggering off somewhere else because they want to win things? Win three games, one over two legs, and we've won a trophy. Get it done, Saints.

Totally agree, and that's why league is always more important than cup for me, it is a far greater barometer of actually how good a team you are. Personally I find it hard these days to get excited about cup games compared to league games but each to their own. Weird that some on here get so upset about people who prioritise league position.

Totally agree, and that's why league is always more important than cup for me, it is a far greater barometer of actually how good a team you are. Personally I find it hard these days to get excited about cup games compared to league games but each to their own. Weird that some on here get so upset about people who prioritise league position.

So you'd rather be the 6th best team in the country but without a trophy than the 10th best team with a few to their name, fair enough.

Isn't being a sports club about trying to win things though? Isn't that the whole point? I fail to see the compelling reason why anyone would want to finish the season empty handed and slightly higher in the league than with a trophy in the cabinet. Able to brag about being about being 6th rather than 10th? nah, give me a trophy any day. I cant remember the last club to do an open bus parade waving the cheque for finishing 6th to the joyous crowd so maybe when that day comes it might change my view.

I was kinda down about the LC due to priorities and all that guff.

However, I see from RK's reaction that it is important for him to win something. It would be great for him in his first season, and great for Saints too.

If RK wants it, then I want it too. Jebus, I think my man crush is getting the better of me!

So you'd rather be the 6th best team in the country but without a trophy than the 10th best team with a few to their name, fair enough.

Isn't being a sports club about trying to win things though? Isn't that the whole point? I fail to see the compelling reason why anyone would want to finish the season empty handed and slightly higher in the league than with a trophy in the cabinet. Able to brag about being about being 6th rather than 10th? nah, give me a trophy any day. I cant remember the last club to do an open bus parade waving the cheque for finishing 6th to the joyous crowd so maybe when that day comes it might change my view.

Yes I would, because personally I would get more enjoyment from the many good performances/results that a high league finish would bring than a few hours excitement of a cup win. I just don't get the same buzz with cup matches anymore.

Yes I would, because personally I would get more enjoyment from the many good performances/results that a high league finish would bring than a few hours excitement of a cup win. I just don't get the same buzz with cup matches anymore.

Did you not enjoy Wembley in 76 or going to Cardiff in 2003?

Intresting. I'm pumped to level 7 or 8 when we win a league match, or any match i spose. But if we won cup I would be pumped to the max! I spose the question is if it's better to get pumped every week, just in like a normal fashion, or one massive super-violent pumping at the end of the year. I will check with my sister/gf