General Election 2015

trousers

I know I get ticked-off by the forum thought police for posting links to other people's opinions, but I'm thinking I might just get away with this one as its by a Labour voter (purportedly)...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11597436/Stop-your-whinging-why-the-Left-are-such-bad-losers.html

This bash the left stuff is pathetic the moment you put a minute's thought into it. With respect to the war memorial monument, I could just as easily link some footage of the EDL and pretend that they are somehow representative of the right, but I don't, because they aren't, and it's pathetic.

This bash the left stuff is pathetic the moment you put a minute's thought into it. With respect to the war memorial monument, I could just as easily link some footage of the EDL and pretend that they are somehow representative of the right, but I don't, because they aren't, and it's pathetic.

Point well missed.

The right wing loonies aren't in the Conservative Party, they have to go and form their own, BNP, UKIP and the like.

The left wing loonies, on the other hand, are all a part of that rainbow coalition that the Labour Party has become in order to try to compete.

I am a former Labour Party supporter and voter, but this lot are going nowhere until they sort themselves out. If you need a reminder, go back and have a look again at the results of all of the different votes in the last leadership election in 2010.

Point well missed.

The right wing loonies aren't in the Conservative Party, they have to go and form their own, BNP, UKIP and the like.

The left wing loonies, on the other hand, are all a part of that rainbow coalition that the Labour Party has become in order to try to compete.

I am a former Labour Party supporter and voter, but this lot are going nowhere until they sort themselves out. If you need a reminder, go back and have a look again at the results of all of the different votes in the last leadership election in 2010.

How do you know that the perpetrators of this incident didn't belong to some far left group?

You don't, but you're still happy to assume that they are part of some mythical rainbow coalition you've just invented. In truth, the left is just as fragmented as the right. No point has been missed, but I did enjoy the projection and the creative writing.

I know I get ticked-off by the forum thought police for posting links to other people's opinions, but I'm thinking I might just get away with this one as its by a Labour voter (purportedly)...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11597436/Stop-your-whinging-why-the-Left-are-such-bad-losers.html

Brilliant article. This bit sums it up well:

This caterwauling about the process being undemocratic is breathtaking in its glibness; it is the kind of thing that would get a politician lynched (and how unusual that the politicians have been more honourable in defeat than many of their supporters). Because the really undemocratic thing here is the process of trying to bully and silence people who happen to have opinions that differ from yours. It is screaming and shouting that everyone should use their democratic right to vote, and then boohooing when they use their democratic right to vote for a party you don’t happen to like.

How do you know that the perpetrators of this incident didn't belong to some far left group?

You don't, but you're still happy to assume that they are part of some mythical rainbow coalition you've just invented. In truth, the left is just as fragmented as the right. No point has been missed, but I did enjoy the projection and the creative writing.

Laurie Penny is a Labour party member and was quite happy to defend the vandalism of the war memorial in the name of party politics. That's pretty low and a little bit loony.

Laurie Penny is a Labour party member and was quite happy to defend the vandalism of the war memorial in the name of party politics. That's pretty low and a little bit loony.

And? It's classic exception proves the rule stuff. You're using the contents of a deliberative provocative article to say that this is somehow indicative of the Labour Party because a Labour Party member said it. Yeah, that's member. Not MP, MEP or anything official. Labour Party member. Who happens to be a journalist. That wrote a provocative article.

Even in the midst of the UKIP witch-hunt, those seeking to discredit UKIP targeted politicians. That should really give an indication of how far you've had to go to make this point. Labour Party member.

Arf.

I think there's a degree of truth in what he's saying. Jeremy Vine's role wasn't great on election night, and anything that could be said in simple terms had to be over-illustrated and rammed down our throats. It was telling that the man who came up with the swingometer said that he didn't like it anymore.

I thought the best bit about the whole evening of coverage on the BBC was John Curtice, and all he did was stand and talk. He didn't use hyperbole, he was rational, and he put things in simple terms. Best of all though he was right, and he didn't have to be sat at a desk, partially obscured by a laptop or waving his hands at blue screen.

Also strong anti-gay ministers in the Equalities & Arts posts. But it's ok, being a homophobe really won't have any issues in those roles.

I thought equality legislation was intended to dictate how you act, not how you think.

Depends on the women, really. Maggie as PM had little to no (many even argued a negative impact) on women in society.

I think volume of women is a positive thing, across all parties, regardless of their politics.

I'm not going to agree with all their points of view, but I don't with men either, and that's fine. It should be completely normal to have women in power. And you should be completely free to vehemently disagree with woman in power in the same way you would do a man.

I struggle to understand why some on this forum find this notion so radical.

The way you belittle me, and then try to bait me, is kind of creepy. I wish you'd take interest in someone else.

You make it sound like I'm following you around and replying to you. A quick look at my post history will confirm that is not the case. Where do you feel belittled?

I think volume of women is a positive thing, across all parties, regardless of their politics.

I'm not going to agree with all their points of view, but I don't with men either, and that's fine. It should be completely normal to have women in power. And you should be completely free to vehemently disagree with woman in power in the same way you would do a man.

Excellent news. Well done the Tories for increasing the number of women in powerful positions. Yes?

You make it sound like I'm following you around and replying to you. A quick look at my post history will confirm that is not the case. Where do you feel belittled?

Yeah, c'mon Lou, you big narcissist.

Hypo has tried grooming VFTT and Convict Colony in the last week alone (check his post history!).

It's not all about you, Lou :)

I don't think they do, do they?

Most of my family do also and they mention it all the time....it's a recurring theme.

Also, did I not mention that so far the conservatives have not dismantled the NHS because of public opinion? Ah, selective reading again. I am also not bitter, more worried about the great many disabled people I know who's lives are going to be made a living hell thanks to this actually.

But hey, you're a right wing voter so, of course you have to be completely right don't you.

*To elaborate, my sister-in-law also works as a ward sister in a very intense London A&E and I know a great many junior doctors since I belong to a university of Southampton group who all say so please, if you're wife never mentions this to you...

Hmm, my parents spent their entire working life in the NHS, one of them very senior at Soton General... They spit about what labour did to it. Funny that isn't it.

The left wing can't except when they lose. Madness. You only have to look at the vandalism of the war memorial, and what they did to charlotte Leslie's parents house in bristol to be grateful that the left got drop kicked out of power.

If Scotland goes independent I can live my life free of the far left wing until the end of time.

Thatcherism is back, suck it up and move on.

Already today they are capping benefits for a single person at £26k (how much.....) and introducing further free child care benefits for 3 & 4 year old children. Really looking forward to a government that puts money back into the hands of working people and lets them live their own life, rather than taking their money and spending it for them/wasting it. A government that supports families rather than one that gave us a record rise in single parents and broken families.

Hmm, my parents spent their entire working life in the NHS, one of them very senior at Soton General... They spit about what labour did to it. Funny that isn't it.

The left wing can't except when they lose. Madness. You only have to look at the vandalism of the war memorial, and what they did to charlotte Leslie's parents house in bristol to be grateful that the left got drop kicked out of power.

If Scotland goes independent I can live my life free of the far left wing until the end of time.

Thatcherism is back, suck it up and move on.

Already today they are capping benefits for a single person at £26k (how much.....) and introducing further free child care benefits for 3 & 4 year old children. Really looking forward to a government that puts money back into the hands of working people and lets them live their own life, rather than taking their money and spending it for them/wasting it. A government that supports families rather than one that gave us a record rise in single parents and broken families.

How are Labour responsible for single parents and broken families? My parents got divorced under Thatcher's reign - was it her fault??

Lou mentioned greater representation of women in the cabinet. We have more now which is surely a positive step?

It certainly is, yes. But it is just one step (granted a positive one). The next step is to ensure that having a more diverse cabinet (it's still pretty white middle-class) leads to better representation across the board. As I said before, many feel that Maggie had a negative impact for women in society despite her being a woman herself.

As I've also said, it's not worth if the women put in certain positions are then going to harm the interests of other marginalised people in society. For example, Caroline Dineage's appointment as equalities minister given her anti-gay marriage stance previously.

It certainly is, yes. But it is just one step (granted a positive one). The next step is to ensure that having a more diverse cabinet (it's still pretty white middle-class) leads to better representation across the board. As I said before, many feel that Maggie had a negative impact for women in society despite her being a woman herself.

As I've also said, it's not worth if the women put in certain positions are then going to harm the interests of other marginalised people in society. For example, Caroline Dineage's appointment as equalities minister given her anti-gay marriage stance previously.

You're not being very tolerant of her by not accepting her right to oppose calling it marriage.

Whether there's more birds in the government or not its a pretty decent start from Cameron. He's never been my sort of Tory, too wet for my liking , but if he continues like this it looks good. Priti Patel is not just a pretty filly , but has some sound opinions, great he's demoted that plum Shapps . I like the appointment of Gove to ditch the HRA , but the best move is Whitingdale , watch out the Bloated Broadcasting Corporation. He's dropped the ball by ditching Pickles, and I hoped we'd seen the last of Anna Soubry .

Looks like the voters have done him a massive favour by ditching the dead weight of the lib/dumbs and he can press ahead whilst the unions decided which leader to install .

Here's her original thinking on the matter: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/gosport-mp-against-move-for-same-sex-marriages-1-4752446

It doesn't sound like she was against same-sex marriage as a matter of dogmatic principle, rather she had concerns about the potential discrimination of people with religious beliefs. In other words, what she seems to be saying is that same-sex 'civil partnerships' and 'civil marriages' are already of equal status, in her opinion, and as such she didn't see a need to change anything to maintain that perceived level of equality.

Now, one can obviously disagree with her opinion on that, but I'm not sure that her position on same-sex marriages is necessarily incompatible with being an equalities minister.

On your marks, get set.....

#pull Trousers' post to pieces klaxon#

Edited by trousers

I was trying to find you a copy of that famous grandad speech from Only Fool's and Horses about how the government after world war one promised homes fit for heroes but delivered heroes fit for homes....Bugger! Either way, things like PTSD are kinda big issues. It's one thing I'd like to see tackled by this government however I think they'll just fail these tick box tests and be marginalised.

However, I who-heartedly endorse this idea the government want to bring in about removing the criminal element of BBC non-license paying.