General Election 2015

trousers

Not half as bad as the hysterical bed wetting from the right about the SNP taking over the running of the UK and holding us all to ransom before the election. Now that was really pathetic.

Nearly as stupid as Duckhunters claims regarding how many seats UKIP would get.

Perhaps you would be kind enough to repost my prediction of ukip seats .

England clearly wants a centre-right government. It took labour to be almost that to get into power. that is what England wants and has done for god knows how long.

Even UKiP have seen a massive surge in their votes and took a good chunk from labour and beat them into 2nd in a higher number of seats.

All the bleating from brand, charlotte church and the like will not really change that.

Even in Wales, where that welsh bird had a very high level of publicity this election, they pretty much rejected what she offered as it was the Conservative best result over there for 30 years.

Except this is the first time the Tories have won outright since 1992. It just goes in cycles with this FPTP system, the Tories will spend the next 5 years butchering our public services, enough people will get ****ed off and Labour will get in again at some point again.

I actually think this is probably not a bad time for Labour to be in opposition, the amount of cuts that still have to be made and the state of the economy mean the next term will be probably be tough for anyone. The Tories are probably the natural choice for doing the cuts anyway.

Edited by aintforever

Except this is the first time the Tories have won outright since 1992. It just goes in cycles with this FPTP system, the Tories will spend the next 5 years butchering our public services, enough people will get ****ed off and Labour will get in again at some point again.

I actually think this is probably not a bad time for Labour to be in opposition, the amount of cuts that still have to be made and the state of the economy mean the next term will be probably be tough for anyone. The Tories are probably the natural choice for doing the cuts anyway.

Its not cyclical at all. As Batman said England is clearly a right of centre country. Whenever labour tack to the left , whether under foot, Kinnock, brown or milliband they lose. The only time they've won since Mrs t changed the country was when they moved right under Blair. The left are out of touch with England .

Will everybody PLEASE acknowledge that this Government, like almost all of those that went before it, was NOT elected by a majority - of either the votes cast or the total electorate. Most voters, in fact nearly 2 thirds of them, did NOT vote Conservative.

FACT.

Will everybody PLEASE acknowledge that this Government, like almost all of those that went before it, was NOT elected by a majority - of either the votes cast or the total electorate. Most voters, in fact nearly 2 thirds of them, did NOT vote Conservative.

FACT.

What's your point? This government has been selected to govern by the electorate, just as virtually every previous government of any flavour has been.

England clearly wants a centre-right government. It took labour to be almost that to get into power. that is what England wants and has done for god knows how long.

Even UKiP have seen a massive surge in their votes and took a good chunk from labour and beat them into 2nd in a higher number of seats.

All the bleating from brand, charlotte church and the like will not really change that.

Even in Wales, where that welsh bird had a very high level of publicity this election, they pretty much rejected what she offered as it was the Conservative best result over there for 30 years.

Typically muddled.

FACT.

I think people realise that badgerx16 and as far as me being a bleating leftie. I'm sad to say at the election before I voted conservative because Brown was a shambles. I think I've made my reasoning clear on the other "10 year" thread that view from the top put up.

I just do not understand the mentality that if we have to make cuts, why we have to start at the bottom, it's not particularly fair is it?

Its not cyclical at all. As Batman said England is clearly a right of centre country. Whenever labour tack to the left , whether under foot, Kinnock, brown or milliband they lose. The only time they've won since Mrs t changed the country was when they moved right under Blair. The left are out of touch with England .

Moved to the centre ground but we're still Labour, more left wing than the Tories. Extremes of either side will never be in power long.

Labour was centre-right under Blair?

Fantasy fuc king island.

FACT.

Getting tired of hearing this nonsense. Name a party or even a group of parties that you would support in coalition that scored more than 50% of the total votes.

Labour was centre-right under Blair?

Fantasy fuc king island.

Thats how he won Labour three elections - getting Tories to vote Labour because he wrapped it up and spooned it in the right way. Miliband couldnt / didnt want to master the same trick.

The Labour party made a great issue of the NHS. To me that smacked of hypocrisy because the Labour run NHS in Wales performs abysmally compared with the English NHS. As for the Liberal vote collapsing, many of their seats were originally won from the conservatives eg Eastleigh. The coalition worked in some respects but I'm sure many were turned off by the duplicitous Clegg and Cable and decided to ditch them and return to their Conservative origins.

Sturgeon and her comments about locking the Conservatives out of Downing Street were key for me. How dare she presume with about 9% of MPs to tell the English she was going to dictate. That made my mind up to vote Conservative. The Labour party was unelectable especially allied to the SNP and got what was coming to them.

The Labour party made a great issue of the NHS. To me that smacked of hypocrisy because the Labour run NHS in Wales performs abysmally compared with the English NHS. As for the Liberal vote collapsing, many of their seats were originally won from the conservatives eg Eastleigh. The coalition worked in some respects but I'm sure many were turned off by the duplicitous Clegg and Cable and decided to ditch them and return to their Conservative origins.

Sturgeon and her comments about locking the Conservatives out of Downing Street were key for me. How dare she presume with about 9% of MPs to tell the English she was going to dictate. That made my mind up to vote Conservative. The Labour party was unelectable especially allied to the SNP and got what was coming to them.

But don't you think that will polarise the Scots into wanting to go it alone even more? Essentially breaking up the union? I mean, I'm just worried that we've shown the xenophobic Scots that we too can be just as xenophobic as them?

Getting tired of hearing this nonsense. Name a party or even a group of parties that you would support in coalition that scored more than 50% of the total votes.

It didnt matter so much when we had a 2.5 party system with the winner getting 43% or so. Now with four or five national parties a winner takes all system where 37% is enough makes the case for electoral reform more pressing imno.

I thought that we had a referendum in 2011 and a large majority opted to stay with the present system. Not perfect but it mostly gets a result instead of a coalition.

But don't you think that will polarise the Scots into wanting to go it alone even more? Essentially breaking up the union? I mean, I'm just worried that we've shown the xenophobic Scots that we too can be just as xenophobic as them?

I think Cameron should offer them home rule. What they raise they spend, pay for any services, no more subsidies. their worst nightmare I think.

I thought that we had a referendum in 2011 and a large majority opted to stay with the present system. Not perfect but it mostly gets a result instead of a coalition.

32% Yes against 68% No which is a resounding result - although there was some appalling propaganda going around from the No campaign. These 2 for example:

yCyLv.jpg

_51400389_avbabypic304.jpg

Tbh this election has just gone to further illustrate the problems with FPTP. Feeling a bit of smug vindication now as somebody that voted Yes to AV, given that the general consensus now is that FPTP isn't a fair system - guess it just took an election for people to realise that..

Thats how he won Labour three elections - getting Tories to vote Labour because he wrapped it up and spooned it in the right way. Miliband couldnt / didnt want to master the same trick.

I'm perfectly aware of what Blair did.

It was mass appeal and centrist. But it wasn't centre right, it was centre left (clue: John Prescott existed) and 13 years of it not that long ago doesn't make us a "centre right nation" which was the point I am challenging.

The UK will go with pragmatic centrist politics either way.

I think Cameron should offer them home rule. What they raise they spend, pay for any services, no more subsidies. their worst nightmare I think.

I mean, I have a few Scottish relatives and they've told me that it just appears to be a great big "we f cking hate you too" by electing the Tories back in (a party essentially the whole country loathes). And with the majority the SNP now have, one would think they can pretty much call the shots up there. I don't know if it would be a major surprise if they started calling for a UDI.

It was mass appeal and centrist. But it wasn't centre right, it was centre left (clue: John Prescott existed) and 13 years of it not that long ago doesn't make us a "centre right nation" which was the point I am challenging.

He had Clare Short in the cabinet for a while! Can't quite see that happening under Cameron...

I mean, I have a few Scottish relatives and they've told me that it just appears to be a great big "we f cking hate you too" by electing the Tories back in (a party essentially the whole country loathes). And with the majority the SNP now have, one would think they can pretty much call the shots up there. I don't know if it would be a major surprise if they started calling for a UDI.

there would be riots up there if that happened. Even sturgeon acknowledged this morning that many people who voted NO in September and would always vote No opted for her party a few days ago. mate, you need to calm down. the world or the UK is not going to end because the conservatives won this election

Im not saying they were centre right. My point was that some voters arent very sharp. They'll buy anything as long as the packaging is good.

He had Clare Short in the cabinet for a while! Can't quite see that happening under Cameron...

Claire Short has a lot to answer for. It was her that informed Robert Mugabe that the country were changing the rules of the "willing buyer, willing seller" land sale in Zimbabwe since her family were Irish and she felt no need to subsidise such sales any more and this pretty much kicked off the Robert Mugabe reappearing as he once did to the whites up until the Lancaster House agreement in 1980 arghh.

there would be riots up there if that happened. Even sturgeon acknowledged this morning that many people who voted NO in September and would always vote No opted for her party a few days ago. mate, you need to calm down. the world or the UK is not going to end because the conservatives won this election

Did I say the world would end? It's going to be very tricky dealing with them now though. Let's not play this down as a tiny change. A lot of em up there were deeply offended that one mention of the SNP made a lot of voters down here run to the tories.

Did I say the world would end? It's going to be very tricky dealing with them now though. Let's not play this down as a tiny change. A lot of em up there were deeply offended that one mention of the SNP made a lot of voters down here run to the tories.

how many exactly...what numbers are we talking about?

maybe people voted for the conservatives that had nothing to do with scotland.

I voted for them as I like my local MP and to a lesser extent, I thought Miliband was/is an utter goon

where I live and the surrounding area is as far as you can get from Scotland, the lowest average wage region wise in the UK yet it is all blue

Edited by Batman

Would you please stop being so bleedin pedantic. If I asked for figures from you for every claim you made. Isn't the fact that the SNP won all but one or two seats up there enough for you to give you a slight clue that they despise the centre right parties and their politics

Claire Short has a lot to answer for. It was her that informed Robert Mugabe that the country were changing the rules of the "willing buyer, willing seller" land sale in Zimbabwe since her family were Irish and she felt no need to subsidise such sales any more and this pretty much kicked off the Robert Mugabe reappearing as he once did to the whites up until the Lancaster House agreement in 1980 arghh.

I'm not a fan of Clare short by any stretch of the imagination. I was just illustrating CB Fry's point that Blair's Government wasn't centre-left.

Would you please stop being so bleedin pedantic. If I asked for figures from you for every claim you made. Isn't the fact that the SNP won all but one or two seats up there enough for you to give you a slight clue that they despise the centre right parties and their politics

well, you claimed that a lot of people were offended...just asking to give us a ball-park figure on how you came to that??

if it was from a newspaper clipping or a tele interview then fine. If not, how do you know?

I'm not a fan of Clare short by any stretch of the imagination. I was just illustrating CB Fry's point that Blair's Government wasn't centre-left.

Well I think trying to throw away vestiges of empire like she did would certainly smack of maybe slightly more than centre left. But that was Claire Short as foreign minister I believe. I assume she had to get the ok from Blair on it but I wouldn't say that he was in any way further left than to the centre.

Well I think trying to throw away vestiges of empire like she did would certainly smack of maybe slightly more than centre left. But that was Claire Short as foreign minister I believe. I assume she had to get the ok from Blair on it but I wouldn't say that he was in any way further left than to the centre.

Clare Short was a far left as you could imagine! Blair only put her in his cabinet to keep his enemy close at hand. Blair was centre-left, which is what he is recommending the Labour Party return to. He may have appealed to the middle classes, but he definitely wasn't centre-right.

Clare Short was a far left as you could imagine! Blair only put her in his cabinet to keep his enemy close at hand. Blair was centre-left, which is what he is recommending the Labour Party return to. He may have appealed to the middle classes, but he definitely wasn't centre-right.

Ye gods. This forum has gone through the looking glass when people start making out the Clare Short is in any way right wing, centre or otherwise.

well, you claimed that a lot of people were offended...just asking to give us a ball-park figure on how you came to that??

if it was from a newspaper clipping or a tele interview then fine. If not, how do you know?

I do have a lot of family beyond the border and whilst a few dislike Salmond and his politics, even they, who I would consider more conservative Scots feel it's time to break away. Let alone the rest who go to rallies attended by thousands calling for a break so if I balanced the two I'd say the feelings I mentioned are pervasive. Don't forget all the history they have of the clearances and stuff brought about by conservative governments and whilst Labour got kicked out in this election so did the Tories in the previous one.

I'm also looking at the historic precedence of a majority Scottish ex-patriot community being very quick indeed to call something like UDI as soon as they reach a disagreement with what the view as an over-arching Westminster (this would be the Smith and UDI example, but they were mostly Scots). I could probably dig up some newspaper clippings of such polls too but since this isn't an academic thesis, I don't see the need to justify my opinions in this way.

Tbh this election has just gone to further illustrate the problems with FPTP. Feeling a bit of smug vindication now as somebody that voted Yes to AV, given that the general consensus now is that FPTP isn't a fair system - guess it just took an election for people to realise that..

Hockey_Saint:

Sweeping generalisations here about the general consensus about the voting system and dear Hockey still blubbing on about those nasty Tories and how everybody despises them, even if he is presumably talking of Scotland. It really is strange that considering that they were elected as the government with a clear majority of seats that they can be so universally despised. Or are these just the opinions of some posters on a football forum rather than the country at large?

I do have a lot of family beyond the border and whilst a few dislike Salmond and his politics, even they, who I would consider more conservative Scots feel it's time to break away. Let alone the rest who go to rallies attended by thousands calling for a break so if I balanced the two I'd say the feelings I mentioned are pervasive. Don't forget all the history they have of the clearances and stuff brought about by conservative governments and whilst Labour got kicked out in this election so did the Tories in the previous one.

I'm also looking at the historic precedence of a majority Scottish ex-patriot community being very quick indeed to call something like UDI as soon as they reach a disagreement with what the view as an over-arching Westminster (this would be the Smith and UDI example, but they were mostly Scots). I could probably dig up some newspaper clippings of such polls too but since this isn't an academic thesis, I don't see the need to justify my opinions in this way.

I think you need to chill out.

The Scots making a declaration of UDI would be like the turkeys voting for Christmas. As far as I'm concerned they can fill their boots in that direction, it's their funeral, the English would be so much better off without them. How's the oil thing going up there? for example. I'm sure we can find a home for Trident, the Navy and RAF.

sturgeon acknowledged this morning that many people who voted NO in September and would always vote No opted for her party a few days ago. mate, you need to calm down.

Given LESS people voted for the SNP than voted 'Yes'' in the referendum, that must mean that "many" people who voted for separation didn't vote for the SNP in the general election. (37% of the electorate voted for separation compared to 35% of the electorate that voted for the SNP)

Excellent, I say let them go, in fact can we declare independence from them and their skirt wearing whiney ways. In fact how many jobs could be created down here rebuilding Hadrians Wall, then we can have border patrols to make sure they don't try and scale the wall to get here when they realise that salmon and sturgeon haven't a clue what they're doing and have left them all skint.

Excellent, I say let them go, in fact can we declare independence from them and their skirt wearing whiney ways. In fact how many jobs could be created down here rebuilding Hadrians Wall, then we can have border patrols to make sure they don't try and scale the wall to get here when they realise that salmon and sturgeon haven't a clue what they're doing and have left them all skint.

All I'm saying is that we can't fight their xenophobia with our own. We've just got to show them that we'd welcome them into something like a federation. I just think if we continue rhetoric like that we all lose.

Given LESS people voted for the SNP than voted 'Yes'' in the referendum, that must mean that "many" people who voted for separation didn't vote for the SNP in the general election. (37% of the electorate voted for separation compared to 35% of the electorate that voted for the SNP)

Surely all it means that some of those that voted for separation voted for one of the other parties in the election. I don't think your statistics prove anything, really ;)

Yep, perceived economic competence and credible leadership and, in return, the electorate will allow you to dabble in a few of your ideological hobbyhorses, whether that's moderately on the right or the left.

All I'm saying is that we can't fight their xenophobia with our own. We've just got to show them that we'd welcome them into something like a federation. I just think if we continue rhetoric like that we all lose.

No scotland will lose, their worst case scenario would be to cut ties with the rest of the UK and they know it, salmond and sturgeon are just blowing hot air, I say if they keep it up just get rid of them, our country has its own problems to deal with, without having to deall with this lot.

You know what, I'm fed up with it to be honest, the way they abuse the English, the massive chips they all seem to have on their shoulders, the way they come out in support whoever we're against, the way they didn;t want to allow their players to join a British team for the olympics. I've always wanted scotland to do well in football tournaments or anything else for that matter and what do we get in return, bitterness and vitriole. Next they'll be asking for Celtic and Rangers to come join the English premier league again.

It's not about fighting their xenophobia with our own, we should give to them as good as we get from them, they seem to act like the bitter less successful brother always wishing us ill.

No scotland will lose, their worst case scenario would be to cut ties with the rest of the UK and they know it, salmond and sturgeon are just blowing hot air, I say if they keep it up just get rid of them, our country has its own problems to deal with, without having to deall with this lot.

You know what, I'm fed up with it to be honest, the way they abuse the English, the massive chips they all seem to have on their shoulders, the way they come out in support whoever we're against, the way they didn;t want to allow their players to join a British team for the olympics. I've always wanted scotland to do well in football tournaments or anything else for that matter and what do we get in return, bitterness and vitriole. Next they'll be asking for Celtic and Rangers to come join the English premier league again.

It's not about fighting their xenophobia with our own, we should give to them as good as we get from them, they seem to act like the bitter less successful brother always wishing us ill.

You know, this is sounding very much like the "New Forest derby"!

I agree that it's for them to lose and that they're clearly not thinking straight. I don't know, I'd just not prefer squabbles like where we're gonna put the nukes, north sea oild and such.

I personally think that the English didn't suddenly decide to vote Conservative because of the SNP. It was just a number of things that added up for most people not least their dislike of Miliband, or Labours incoherence and state of denial over the overspending when in charge. They just weren't trusted. The thought that the SNP would put a minority English party into power against the wishes of the English people scuppered Labour.

I don't think the English care about the Scots at all. They do care about the Barnett formula and what it represents in terms of privilege for the Scots over the English, not least in Education, Health and care of the Elderly with the English paying. If they want to go let them go but when push comes to shove the English will want them to be self funding which I

don't think is part of their calculations. I get the feeling what they want is English funded independence.

Batman asks for evidence. Well I never.

You know, this is sounding very much like the "New Forest derby"!

I agree that it's for them to lose and that they're clearly not thinking straight. I don't know, I'd just not prefer squabbles like where we're gonna put the nukes, north sea oild and such.

If by New Forest Derby, you mean Bournemout, then I agree, it seems exactly like that and whilst I'd prefer not to have to squabble about those things I'm sure we'd sort it out and English jobs will most likely be part of that win win.

I personally think that the English didn't suddenly decide to vote Conservative because of the SNP. It was just a number of things that added up for most people not least their dislike of Miliband, or Labours incoherence and state of denial over the overspending when in charge. They just weren't trusted. The thought that the SNP would put a minority English party into power against the wishes of the English people scuppered Labour.

I don't think the English care about the Scots at all. They do care about the Barnett formula and what it represents in terms of privilege for the Scots over the English, not least in Education, Health and care of the Elderly with the English paying. If they want to go let them go but when push comes to shove the English will want them to be self funding which I

don't think is part of their calculations. I get the feeling what they want is English funded independence.

Exactly this, they get a far better deal per person than us and still we hear them whinging about their lot, if they had a vote tomorrow about English independence from Scotland, I'd vote yes

How was the SNP allied to Labour? Milliband said again and again he would not deal with them, that he was a Unionist. The only people that said otherwise were the Tories and their friends in the press.