General Election 2015

trousers

And so a lesson on how many people you can get to believe utter Bull...well, it turns out quite a few. I am very disappointed in my country right now. It's lost it's compassion and essentially it's heart...soon the NHS will probably be lost too but hey, if you're fed the same line for 5 years you get a lot of people who believe it.

It's the out of work, poor, working poor, disabled and minorities I now feel sorry for. Don't get me wrong, Labour lost it by not listening to it's core voters but slaughtering the lib dems for essentially copying the tories and then giving them a massive pat on the back is very odd indeed.

:lol: so so bitter. You lost, suck it up and move on.

maybe just ask someone who works in the NHS their view of what this government is doing to it and how long it has left the way it's going.

Will do. My wife and sister-in-law work in the NHS so I'll consult them over the weekend. Can't think why they haven't mentioned its all going tits up before now though. Must have skipped their mind.... ;)

As for my thoughts on everything, I was utterly shocked that the Tories got such a comfortable majority. The media has got Cameron back through that door, he wouldn't have achieved that without the constant fear-mongering from the papers and pundits as to what unthinkable things might happen if he wasn't re-elected. Just goes to show that the few that control the media in this country (Murdoch, Rothermere, Desmond et al) can spin anything to their advantage. And everyone lapped it up like the f*cking supplicants we are.

Heaven forbid that he actually won because people made a choice that he was the better leader and that the Tories are the better choice right now. No it has to be because we are all mindless sheep doing whatever Murdoch says. Give it a rest.

Will do. My wife and sister-in-law work in the NHS so I'll consult them over the weekend. Can't think why they haven't mentioned its all going tits up before now though. Must have skipped their mind.... ;)

Most of my family do also and they mention it all the time....it's a recurring theme.

Also, did I not mention that so far the conservatives have not dismantled the NHS because of public opinion? Ah, selective reading again. I am also not bitter, more worried about the great many disabled people I know who's lives are going to be made a living hell thanks to this actually.

But hey, you're a right wing voter so, of course you have to be completely right don't you.

*To elaborate, my sister-in-law also works as a ward sister in a very intense London A&E and I know a great many junior doctors since I belong to a university of Southampton group who all say so please, if you're wife never mentions this to you...

Edited by Hockey_saint

Or anyone in the Labour party that left the system unchanged for 13 years?

Plenty of us have been saying for years that it's unrepresentative & needs changing but alas neither London based Labour or the tories will change it. I just cannot see how it's right that UKIP polls nearly 4m votes but ends up with just 1 seat. I dislike them immensely but those 4m voters deserve a voice, same is true for the Greens.

As for my thoughts on everything, I was utterly shocked that the Tories got such a comfortable majority. The media has got Cameron back through that door, he wouldn't have achieved that without the constant fear-mongering from the papers and pundits as to what unthinkable things might happen if he wasn't re-elected. Just goes to show that the few that control the media in this country (Murdoch, Rothermere, Desmond et al) can spin anything to their advantage. And everyone lapped it up like the f*cking supplicants we are.

Oh behave yourself.

Actual people voted the Conservatives in for actual reasons, and as you get older you'll understand that is what happens in the real world.

It's not quite the result I'd have liked but it is the result. Get over it.

Edited by CB Fry

Heaven forbid that he actually won because people made a choice that he was the better leader and that the Tories are the better choice right now. No it has to be because we are all mindless sheep doing whatever Murdoch says. Give it a rest.

I think that's fair. So many women today at my work and my wife's saying how they simply couldn't vote for Ed. I said on here when he won that they'd elected the wrong brother and that it would cost them the election. I had hoped to be wrong.

I think that's fair. So many women today at my work and my wife's saying how they simply couldn't vote for Ed. I said on here when he won that they'd elected the wrong brother and that it would cost them the election. I had hoped to be wrong.

This. This was an election Labour could have won - we're talking about marginals and percentage point swings to do it, plus sitting duck Lib Dems - if they had a compelling, articulate and credible leader. They simply didn't.

Personally would like to see the now free-to-run Yvette Cooper get the job, have always liked her. But she's up against the 2020 Boris bus so probably a poisoned chalice anyway.

Welcome back the natural party of government.

Yep, Ed was unelectable we all knew that. It's still perplexing though, still at least we don't have to pretend the Libs are trying to stop Cameron from savage cuts to the welfare state (why do the rich always see fit to hit the poor the hardest?) anymore.

This. This was an election Labour could have won - we're talking about marginals and percentage point swings to do it, plus sitting duck Lib Dems - if they had a compelling, articulate and credible leader. They simply didn't.

Personally would like to see the now free-to-run Yvette Cooper get the job, have always liked her. But she's up against the 2020 Boris bus so probably a poisoned chalice anyway.

I'd like her too. Canny operator and sharp as a tack. I think she'd best Boris and, importantly, bring women back into the fold.

Yep, Ed was unelectable we all knew that. It's still perplexing though, still at least we don't have to pretend the Libs are trying to stop Cameron from savage cuts to the welfare state (why do the rich always see fit to hit the poor the hardest?) anymore.

What is the matter with you, did a rich boy steal your action man when you were younger?

And so a lesson on how many people you can get to believe utter Bull...well, it turns out quite a few. I am very disappointed in my country right now. It's lost it's compassion and essentially it's heart...soon the NHS will probably be lost too but hey, if you're fed the same line for 5 years you get a lot of people who believe it.

It's the out of work, poor, working poor, disabled and minorities I now feel sorry for. Don't get me wrong, Labour lost it by not listening to it's core voters but slaughtering the lib dems for essentially copying the tories and then giving them a massive pat on the back is very odd indeed.

No party seriously touches the NHS, it's the guaranteed Holy Grail for any party. Check the current spend.

Why are you concerned for 'minorities' as a result of this election (what are they?)

If you're so concerned about the working poor I assume you're campaigning to cut immigration?

What is the matter with you, did a rich boy steal your action man when you were younger?

Nup, they raped and pillaged the world for hundreds of years and you know....new world, new systems of politics, I'd prefer a fresh approach as opposed to voting in people who essentially have been lording it over the common man for a very long time.

It wasn't just Milliband, ed balls was his right hand man. I wouldn't trust him with the petty cash tin, let alone the economy. Had Alan Johnson stayed in post, I think it would have been a much better bet.

Millibands issue was that he appeared geeky and a bit awkward, he was always going to be fighting an uphill battle.

yep the nhs is going to disappear, they're all plotting it now, sat down laughing in No 10 like a Bond villain. Those nasty tories are going to close all the hospitals, followed by all the schools and sell the land to their friends.

you know what if you're fed the same line for years that the tories are evil baby snatchers then you'll probably believe it, fortunately it would seem that most of Britain has got a brain and haven't been brain washed into thinking, they're posh they must be an ass hole.

I'm very disappointed that labours biggest argument is 'they're all posh', you know what I'm sure just because they're rich and posh doesn't mean they don't care about people, the biggest problem is that labour supporters all seem to have some sort of chip on their shoulder that rich people are evil

They have their own ideas of how to run the country and it is different than labours, your opinion is that they're wrong, well I'm afraid most of the country disagrees with you, I guess we'll find out in 5 years, trouble is people like you will always be looking for an instance of where someone has suffered and point at this yelling 'those nasty tories, this would never happen under labour' well you know what, in a country of 65 odd million people, some things won't work quite as well and some people will get the rough end of the stick, but don't tell me it wouldn't be the same under labour.

What I hate about labour supporters is their self righteousness, acting like they're so enlightened and anyone who dares not agree with them is in some way an inferior person with no moral compass or any compassion

ironic comment really coming someone who themselves is being self righteousness, acting like they're so enlightened and anyone who dares not agree with them is in some way an inferior person with no moral compass or any compassion

I'm more left than right wing but even I found it hard to see Milliband and Balls in charge of our country.

Also moving to the left was a wrong move, even with Scotland on side you need to reach Middle England to get a majority, lurching to the left when Scotland was a lost cause was suicidal.

That said I think this election was a victory for English and Scottish nationalism more than anything, fair play to the Tories, they played it very well. I think they also got a bit lucky with low oil prices making the economy seem in a better state than it is.

Edited by aintforever

ironic comment really coming someone who themselves is being self righteousness, acting like they're so enlightened and anyone who dares not agree with them is in some way an inferior person with no moral compass or any compassion

Have you not noticed that he's not the brightest of bulbs?

No party seriously touches the NHS, it's the guaranteed Holy Grail for any party. Check the current spend.

Why are you concerned for 'minorities' as a result of this election (what are they?)

If you're so concerned about the working poor I assume you're campaigning to cut immigration?

I know the spending for the BS reorganisation they implemented and the cost of all the outsourced private health care organisations vying for NHS contracts. And minorities.....well, that's a very leading question.

First of all, I don't begrudge people their votes - people can choose who they want to govern. I also agree that Cameron's the better leader but if you ask Tory voters why they chose him they'll probably mention how the Tories are "the best choice" and "a safe pair of hands" when they've had an appalling record over the last 5 years of failing to hit their targets. Cameron asked us to kick him out if he hadn't got rid of the deficit and reduced immigration to tens of thousands. He also promised no top-down reorganisations of the NHS (and then did one straight away) and no cuts to front-line services (which have suffered immensely). I don't think your average guy on the street will have that in their mind when they go to vote - they'll have the picture of Miliband eating a f*cking bacon sandwich sitting there.

Forgive me for sounding like a raving lunatic going on about media moguls controlling the electorate but it just dismays me that we're so easily led to believe something that is clearly not accurate based on recent performance. Our media is a closed ideology echo chamber where the same mantras are repeated again and again until it becomes accepted as the norm.

I'd like her too. Canny operator and sharp as a tack. I think she'd best Boris and, importantly, bring women back into the fold.

Absolutely. I think she's only ever made one mistake that I know of, and he lost his seat at half eight this morning.

Clearly you didn't, as he was chosen and supported as the Labour leader.

Unless you're one of the few that made an absolute fortune from the election results.

We wasn't elected by either the majority of Labour MPs or ordinary members. He won because of the union vote, especially UNITE. The downside of collegiate style voting.

It was a stick that was used wisely by the tories to beat him from day 1.

Clearly you didn't, as he was chosen and supported as the Labour leader.

Unless you're one of the few that made an absolute fortune from the election results.

Ed Milliband was elected thanks to a major union vote so you could say we didnt. I knew he wouldn't get in but as I say, I believe in a non-elitist society so I avoided voting for Cameron's chums.

First of all, I don't begrudge people their votes - people can choose who they want to govern. I also agree that Cameron's the better leader but if you ask Tory voters why they chose him they'll probably mention how the Tories are "the best choice" and "a safe pair of hands" when they've had an appalling record over the last 5 years of failing to hit their targets. Cameron asked us to kick him out if he hadn't got rid of the deficit and reduced immigration to tens of thousands. He also promised no top-down reorganisations of the NHS (and then did one straight away) and no cuts to front-line services (which have suffered immensely). I don't think your average guy on the street will have that in their mind when they go to vote - they'll have the picture of Miliband eating a f*cking bacon sandwich sitting there.

Forgive me for sounding like a raving lunatic going on about media moguls controlling the electorate but it just dismays me that we're so easily led to believe something that is clearly not accurate based on recent performance. Our media is a closed ideology echo chamber where the same mantras are repeated again and again until it becomes accepted as the norm.

I agree that the media are very influential, however there wasn't a lot of whinging from labour supporters about media influence when Murdoch threw his weight behind Blair.

Nup, they raped and pillaged the world for hundreds of years and you know....new world, new systems of politics, I'd prefer a fresh approach as opposed to voting in people who essentially have been lording it over the common man for a very long time.

so because some posh people hundreds of years ago were out of order, David Cameron is going to shut the NHS, I suppose I should apolgies for their behaviour back then as well what with being English and all.

The NHS isn't going to be got rid of, there will be instances of people not receiving the treatment they should but a massive system like the NHS is always going to be like that no matter who runs it. Problem is I can guarantee everytime something happens labour will blame it on the tories and their 'decimation' of the NHS

Wasn't meaning to come across as self righteous, it just ****es me off hearing labour supporters harping on about the nasty tories all the time, giving the impression that if you support the tories you can't be a caring or compassionate person

Anyway that's my 3 gone night all

Are you pis_sed? Many were utterly livid with Blair for getting into bed with Murdock.

Some people are so desperate to make the cheapest "they're all hypocrites" point they don't even think about what they're writing.

Blair/Murdoch tie up probably angered more Labour die-hards than Tories back in the day.

Some people are so desperate to make the cheapest "they're all hypocrites" point they don't even think about what they're writing.

Blair/Murdoch tie up probably angered more Labour die-hards than Tories back in the day.

Er, I think that's what he's saying..

so because some posh people hundreds of years ago were out of order, David Cameron is going to shut the NHS, I suppose I should apolgies for their behaviour back then as well what with being English and all.

The NHS isn't going to be got rid of, there will be instances of people not receiving the treatment they should but a massive system like the NHS is always going to be like that no matter who runs it. Problem is I can guarantee everytime something happens labour will blame it on the tories and their 'decimation' of the NHS

Wasn't meaning to come across as self righteous, it just ****es me off hearing labour supporters harping on about the nasty tories all the time, giving the impression that if you support the tories you can't be a caring or compassionate person

Anyway that's my 3 gone night all

Him and his wife are jointly millionaires thanks to the inherited wealth they gained from said ancestors......didn't stop them trying to claim a benefit for their child of which they've removed from a great many people though.

I also wouldn't be too sure of the security of the NHS. Either way, I kinda prefer the politics of hope as opposed to hate.

I assume you're not aware of how most of the rich got their money in this country then?....I'll give you a clue, it wasn't enterprise.

Edited by Hockey_saint

Another cosseted, career politician who was 'made' by Blair/Brown. Same goes for Burnham, even with the mild scouse accent. She's also bit of a robot who is more comfortable advising than leading.

Your tone right here is why I would find it very difficult to vote Labour again in the future. It's attitudes like this that have wrecked the Labour Party. Class warfare at its ugliest and thankfully the British public have seen right through it.

Your tone right here is why I would find it very difficult to vote Labour again in the future. It's attitudes like this that have wrecked the Labour Party. Class warfare at its ugliest and thankfully the British public have seen right through it.

So there is absolutely, 100% no class element to the tory party then?....None at all? no public schoolboy's club? no let's get one over the oiks? Oh come on. Don't be deluded, there's class warfare everywhere. And their selective cuts wreak of an ideological basis so please....pull the other one.

Edited by Hockey_saint

Or maybe people just simply do not agree with you that the last five years have been appaling? And they can remember the last time labour were in power?

All 25% of them.

Him and his wife are jointly millionaires thanks to the inherited wealth they gained from said ancestors......didn't stop them trying to claim a benefit for their child of which they've removed from a great many people though.

I also wouldn't be too sure of the security of the NHS. Either way, I kinda prefer the politics of hope as opposed to hate.

I assume you're not aware of how most of the rich got their money in this country then?....I'll give you a clue, it wasn't enterprise.

*Yawn* Change the f*cking record. The size of that chip on your shoulder must cause you to walk lop-sided.

All 25% of them.

Isn't it 25% of the 65% that turned out?.......yep, that a vast majority.

Yep Wes....massive chip, I would even consider voting for the tories if their party wasn't propagated by about 70% inherited wealth who wish to keep the status quo.

Edited by Hockey_saint

We wasn't elected by either the majority of Labour MPs or ordinary members. He won because of the union vote, especially UNITE. The downside of collegiate style voting.

It was a stick that was used wisely by the tories to beat him from day 1.

All part of the Labour party process though. There was definite criticism of him, but not exactly huge unrest to get him removed.

The wider point comes back to if Labour can be in govt. without full on Blairite in action?

Ed Milliband was elected thanks to a major union vote so you could say we didnt. I knew he wouldn't get in but as I say, I believe in a non-elitist society so I avoided voting for Cameron's chums.

How much money did you make betting on the election result? I know a few who did well, wish you'd given us the definite heads up before.

Out of interest, what is an "elitist society"?

Isn't it 25% of the 65% that turned out?.......yep, that a vast majority.

Yep Wes....massive chip, I would even consider voting for the tories if their party wasn't propagated by about 70% inherited wealth who wish to keep the status quo.

You sound like Russell Brand mate. Tell you what instead of stamping your feet and throwing a tantrum, why don't you ponder why such a comparatively small amount voted for labour in those key marginals. If your only argument now is about how small the voting turnout was, then that applies to every single party.

I know the spending for the BS reorganisation they implemented and the cost of all the outsourced private health care organisations vying for NHS contracts. And minorities.....well, that's a very leading question.

So you're just not going to answer.

Sixth form common room, Che Guevara t-shirt, following Russel Brand attentively on twitter......

So you're just not going to answer.

Am I sounding like George Osborne on the Andrew Marr show?..."errmmmm....8 billion"

Sour Mash, I would say an elitist society are those with an agenda to demonise the lower echelons of society...which the coaliton have done so well so far....whilst helping their rich banker mates.

Hypochrondriac. I have said, I find the very fact that the tories got such a high percentage odd but I've speculated on it today. I think a few things did it. They circumvented UKIP by offering a referendum at the last minute and Labour's complete lack of even talking about the issue did for them.....And Ed being unelectable.

I also think think that the media played a massive part; I just find it odd because some of those aimed for cuts, the long term unemployed, the sick...they MUST have voted tory so I can't completely explain but it's just shocking.

Yvette Cooper can be credited with a wee bit of nous. She may have married a man called Balls, but she does not have the surname Balls. Perhaps I am wrong on that. Perhaps she really likes the surname Balls, but can't adopt it for practical reasons, such as it not being very ladylike and making you a national laughing stock.

"I just had new business cards printed last week, Ed. Now is not the time"; a phrase often heard in the Balls/Cooper abode, no doubt.

Not PM material for me. Too much baggage, too little personality. Married Ed Balls.

Am I sounding like George Osborne on the Andrew Marr show?..."errmmmm....8 billion"

Sour Mash, I would say an elitist society are those with an agenda to demonise the lower echelons of society...which the coaliton have done so well so far....whilst helping their rich banker mates.

Hypochrondriac. I have said, I find the very fact that the tories got such a high percentage odd but I've speculated on it today. I think a few things did it. They circumvented UKIP by offering a referendum at the last minute and Labour's complete lack of even talking about the issue did for them.....And Ed being unelectable.

I also think think that the media played a massive part; I just find it odd because some of those aimed for cuts, the long term unemployed, the sick...they MUST have voted tory so I can't completely explain but it's just shocking.

Who are the lower echelons of society and how and why are they demonised?

I assume you think more of the poor should have voted UKIP?

Who are the lower echelons of society and how and why are they demonised?

I assume you think more of the poor should have voted UKIP?

The lower echelons being the working class and those living in relative poverty; the single mothers, the disabled (I don't know many disabled people who would openly today say they voted Tory, I certainly wouldn't and most of the disabled people I know are worried sick their lives will now be made a living hell). I don't think the poor should have voted UKIP as I think UKIP actually had a wide appeal across the spectrum. I think the poor should have voted as they saw fit. I think most abstained. I mean, I live near the Avenue and I've not seen so many Tory posters in my lifetime.

Could it be the sleepy tory factor? perhaps or the abstaining labourite? possible. I also think the Lib Dem supporters thought "sod it, if our party are going to act like the tories, we might as well vote for them instead." - I predicted the Lib slaughter (I did, it's in previous pages) I just didn't expect Labour to get it so badly.

But to get back to your UKIP question, why should the poor vote UKIP? They could sure, but the EU allows for free movement and the job markets with it so I probably wouldn't but a lot will have (you know, since, surprisingly, the UKIP vote wasn't that much lower than the tories (actual voter numbers-wise).