General Election 2015

trousers

I agree that they got what they deserved, but they are not the only Party to ever renege on Election promises. I guess us liberal folk take it more personally. The growth in the UKIP vote is scary.

You've never seen the like of it in the UK but here in France people who are basically disatisfied with their lot tend to go for an alternative, in our case it's the Front National, they will of course never obtain power in any shape or form but they're an alternative so they appeal to 30% ish of the electorate. When it comes to the crunch though they always fall short because reasonable people always apply the brakes just in time.

Labour must be kicking themselves now for picking the wrong Miliband. Ed seems like a decent chap but didn't have the umph to take on Cameron - and lets face it, he is hardly the toughest opponent. Still, he was "pumped up" for this so perhaps that made the difference? :(

Boris must be licking his lips today.

The unions - YET AGAIN - have a lot to answer for. All they seem to do is shoot themselves in the foot.

But wouldn't that require an equal number of declarations?

Obviously. ?

The result from Luton was on one and not the other I think because it was a very recent result at that time, only the disparity

between 324 and 325 can be explained by the speaker.

England, outside of pockets of London/northern slums, just isn't a very left-wing place. You only have to look at what Blair had to do to the Labour Party to get it elected - abandon everything it believes in. Saying the words 'progressive', 'change', and banging on about the NHS just doesn't cut it in the marginals.

England, outside of pockets of London/northern slums, just isn't a very left-wing place. You only have to look at what Blair had to do to the Labour Party to get it elected - abandon everything it believes in. Saying the words 'progressive', 'change', and banging on about the NHS just doesn't cut it in the marginals.
Pretty much sums the whole thing up nicely.

Good luck with that btw - have you got another job to go to?

Not yet. The Mrs is a teacher, so I'm going to take a loooong summer break for once, and look for something starting in September. Luckily I won't need to go straight to JSA.

Having seen a lot of interviews with SNP politicians over the past 24 hours Im not surprised they did so well. People who speak well, answer a question directly and apparently honestly and mostly are elected for the area they come from. A real mix of Scots from different backgrounds within a single party. Not the bland clones the Tories and Labour have turned into. I have respect for maybe only 6 of the 60 or so people on the front benches of the four main English parties combined.

If Labour want to regain respect and support they need to ditch their candidate selection process which rewards long careers behind the scenes as an activist and start advertising in the press for candidates - "This is what we believe in you. If you agree apply to be a candidate". You cant persuade voters you are competent if the best your representatives can do on camera is ramble and be thrown by simple questions.

One must ask 'would the Liberal Democrats vote have collapsed so alarmingly if they had spent the last 5 years in bed with Labour instead of the Tories?'

Onbiovuly very hard to say as we don't know what of their policies they would have had to forego on agreeing to backing Labour.

I voted LD previously and did so this time - although Ed Davey lost - and I am pretty ******ed off that he did.

He was a good constituency MP and Environment Secretary.

We now have Tories in Kingston something the LD canvassers were warning about.

You do feel that if Labour had a more credible figure head then more of the LD vote would have gone their way.

The Lib Dems will take a long time to recover from this if they ever do.

I wonder how the Lib Dem voters ever thought they would get into power without going into a coalition - I always assumed this would be the case as I never saw them as a 326 seat party.

The Scottish people have just told those of us south of the border to go away.

There will be a new cry for a referrendum on independence up north soon.

I'll stop now. Just kind of repeating what others are saying.

Labour need to learn that lurching to the left does not generally appeal to the electorate. It would be better for them to be a centrist Government than a left wing opposition. Ed Milliband shouldn't be the sole fall guy in this, he actually campaigned pretty well. But he was the wrong choice of leader, and the unions, particularly Unite are to blame for this. I voted for his brother and was pretty upset when he lost.

Ed Balls losing his seat is good for Labour. He is a walking car crash.

Labour need to reclaim the centre-ground. It would be good if they could get David Milliband and James Purnell back into Government.

Good luck to David Cameron. They fought a little bit dirty but this is politics, not a tickling contest. I hope his cuts are aimed at the feckless work shy, and not the disabled, ill or needy. They have a slender majority, and governing the country will be far from easy. I wish them well and hope they do a good job for the whole country, not the privileged few.

Still gutted that Labour lost though!

I wonder where those votes will return to at the next election?

probably shrink quite a bit assuming we DO have an EU in/out vote. That is what they wanted and they would have had a huge part in bring that to us

One must ask 'would the Liberal Democrats vote have collapsed so alarmingly if they had spent the last 5 years in bed with Labour instead of the Tories?'

Onbiovuly very hard to say as we don't know what of their policies they would have had to forego on agreeing to backing Labour.

I voted LD previously and did so this time - although Ed Davey lost - and I am pretty ******ed off that he did.

He was a good constituency MP and Environment Secretary.

We now have Tories in Kingston something the LD canvassers were warning about.

You do feel that if Labour had a more credible figure head then more of the LD vote would have gone their way.

The Lib Dems will take a long time to recover from this if they ever do.

I wonder how the Lib Dem voters ever thought they would get into power without going into a coalition - I always assumed this would be the case as I never saw them as a 326 seat party.

The Scottish people have just told those of us south of the border to go away.

There will be a new cry for a referrendum on independence up north soon.

I'll stop now. Just kind of repeating what others are saying.

You Do feel that if the LD had a more credible figure head then more of the LD vote would have gone their way.

Labour need to learn that lurching to the left does not generally appeal to the electorate. It would be better for them to be a centrist Government than a left wing opposition.

This. You can be a progressive alternative without being a 'left wing' throwback

I'm Mrs Profoundly Depressed of Buckinghamshire. However, there are 3 results I'm overjoyed about:

1. Esther McVey lost her seat

2. Nigel Farage didn't win

3. That chinless wonder, Danny Alexander, lost his seat

At the time of the last election, I said I thought the Tories would never get a majority again. I was so, so wrong and I'll admit it. But I genuinely fear for the future of this country now.

good old Russel brand...lol

The best result of the night was to see Ed Balls lose his seat, he couldnt get the faith of his local constituents let alone run our economy.

Rejoice, rejoice, rejoice

Remind me again, exactly which bits of Labour's manifesto were actually 'red'?

Stay in NATO

Keep polaris

Not repeal trade union law

Not re-nationalise the railways

Keep tax and spend broadly where it is now

Maintain and improve the NHS

Encourage the private provision of houses (both for sale and social housing)

Not take back academies and free schools into local democratic control.

There must have been lots in there I missed cos I'm not seeing any red there.

Lobour are in a really interesting place. They need to work out what they stand for fast - if they spend too long in fighting or not having clear direction, they wont get in next time.

IIt took the tories a decade out of power before the various factions were happy to line up behind cameron, the same to a certain extent with Labour and Blair

Quite how the Libs are going to come back from this is anyones guess.

Stay in NATO

Keep polaris

Its more to do with presentation than actual policies. Ed allowed himself to be seen as a bash the rich leader put in place at the behest of the unions.

Stay in NATO

Keep polaris

Blair turned New Labour into an orange rather than red outfit. All the parties now fight for the middle ground and you would think that would play into the LibDems hands but it has just squeezed them out. We need new Party leaders with vision and fight but all we get is the bland who can trot out meaningless soundbites and look squeaky clean on TV.

Lobour are in a really interesting place. They need to work out what they stand for fast - if they spend too long in fighting or not having clear direction, they wont get in next time.

IIt took the tories a decade out of power before the various factions were happy to line up behind cameron, the same to a certain extent with Labour and Blair

Quite how the Libs are going to come back from this is anyones guess.

As a liberal with a small L I think that the LibDems have had it. Game of Thrones style they got it wrong big time last time round and I think they have lost the trust of a lot of their voter base. As someone said earlier, the Tories are laughing now - they can blame the LibDems for all that went wrong in the last 5 years and take credit for anything that went right. It is very had to see how theLibDems can bounce back any time soon.

Has Brand tweeted yet btw? I'm interested to hear how he believes his endorsement of the Labour Party helped (or hindered) their performance.

I'm at a complete loss to understand why anyone, anywhere has even a passing interest in the political opinions of russell brand.

As a liberal with a small L I think that the LibDems have had it. Game of Thrones style they got it wrong big time last time round and I think they have lost the trust of a lot of their voter base. As someone said earlier, the Tories are laughing now - they can blame the LibDems for all that went wrong in the last 5 years and take credit for anything that went right. It is very had to see how theLibDems can bounce back any time soon.
I feel sad for the Libs, they can hold their heads up high as they put the nation first.Sadly the spectre of the SNP took them down

Can someone explain to me how Scotland voted against devolution but voted the SNP in with a landslide?

because people pick and chose who they vote for and for what reasons. as said before, the vast majority are not 'anyone but....'

they will vote for what they want at the time

friends of mine up there were very much a NO in the referendum last year but voted SNP yesterday. They will always be a NO in any referendum

They got around 50% of the vote, which isnt too disimilar to the referendum result.

if the referendum was first past the post result, the YES/SNP would have lost by something 56-3 (or something like that I think)

I'm Mrs Profoundly Depressed of Buckinghamshire. However, there are 3 results I'm overjoyed about:

1. Esther McVey lost her seat

2. Nigel Farage didn't win

3. That chinless wonder, Danny Alexander, lost his seat

At the time of the last election, I said I thought the Tories would never get a majority again. I was so, so wrong and I'll admit it. But I genuinely fear for the future of this country now.

Jesus, could you be any more dramatic? :lol:

They got around 50% of the vote, which isnt too disimilar to the referendum result.

Indeed. Or, put another way...

37% of the Scottish electorate voted for separation last year whereas 35% of the electorate voted for the SNP last night.

And yet the media will continue to hold up the SNP as representing the views of the majority of Scotland when, in fact, its roughly a third.

Edited by trousers
Jo

The SNP must be happy bunnies today - much more influence in Westminster. :(

I think that is a good thing. They traded loads on opposing those nasty people down in 'Westminster'...and how it was all corrupt.

They are now part of that will will be subject to much more scrutiny I reckon