General Election 2015

trousers

How was the SNP allied to Labour? Milliband said again and again he would not deal with them, that he was a Unionist. The only people that said otherwise were the Tories and their friends in the press.

Shhh......in this island of red (Southampton) in a sea of blue facts like that just get in the way!

How was the SNP allied to Labour? Milliband said again and again he would not deal with them, that he was a Unionist. The only people that said otherwise were the Tories and their friends in the press.

Probably because the raw electoral arithmetic for Labour never added up and any prospect of forming a government required some kind of arrangement with the SNP. Everybody knew it, despite Miliband's earnest enough protestations.

Probably because the raw electoral arithmetic for Labour never added up and any prospect of forming a government required some kind of arrangement with the SNP. Everybody knew it, despite Miliband's earnest enough protestations.

Ahhhh! I've got it! so slaughtering the Lib Dems was a very shrewd way of ensuring that would have been their only choice!...Rupert Murdoch is a genius!

Voters just didn't believe that when push came to shove he wouldn't do a deal if it was his only way to be Prime Minister. As far as I was concerned that was the reality. I didn't believe him and it looks like a lot more didn't either.

He said, on QT, that he would rather not form a Governement at all than deal with the SNP. I honestly don't know how much clearer he could have been about it.

there would be riots up there if that happened. Even sturgeon acknowledged this morning that many people who voted NO in September and would always vote No opted for her party a few days ago. mate, you need to calm down. the world or the UK is not going to end because the conservatives won this election

People's opinions do change though, and Cameron's demonising of the Scottish in the election wouldn't do anything but make more of them want independence. Plus we have the English only vote rule they will put through which will just increase the divide, not to mention the fact that we (England) might vote the UK out of the EU.

The biggest factor will be the SNP though, they will stoke up the hatred to suit their agenda. They wanted a Tory government because they knew it would suit their aim which will always be independence.

Ahhhh! I've got it! so slaughtering the Lib Dems was a very shrewd way of ensuring that would have been their only choice!...Rupert Murdoch is a genius!

Most of the Lib Dem seats lost outside Scotland were reverting to Tory which they had been previously. In any event the protest party was no longer and there were loads of other destinations for that vote. I suspect most of those that switched to Tory were reverting to their roots.

Most of the Lib Dem seats lost outside Scotland were reverting to Tory which they had been previously. In any event the protest party was no longer and there were loads of other destinations for that vote. I suspect most of those that switched to Tory were reverting to their roots.

That would adhere to Tony Blair's arguement that the voter defaulted to the conservatives as opposed to actively seeking them out.

People's opinions do change though, and Cameron's demonising of the Scottish in the election wouldn't do anything but make more of them want independence. Plus we have the English only vote rule they will put through which will just increase the divide, not to mention the fact that we (England) might vote the UK out of the EU.

The biggest factor will be the SNP though, they will stoke up the hatred to suit their agenda. They wanted a Tory government because they knew it would suit their aim which will always be independence.

I am a huge believer in the UK. Goes with the job

However, after the general whining from the yes side last year and the blatant lies and moaning of the SNP/salmond. Good luck to them I'd say.

However, after the general whining from the yes side last year and the blatant lies and moaning of the SNP/salmond. Good luck to them I'd say.

Me too. The people I feel sorry for are all those good, honest traditionalists who are proud to be Scottish but also want to stay British. The drive for independence seems to be centred among the younger ones in the southern cities.

Getting tired of hearing this nonsense. Name a party or even a group of parties that you would support in coalition that scored more than 50% of the total votes.

People who currently either vote tactically, or feel that their vote cannot count due to their local demographics, ( a Labour voter in Whitney for instance ), would be able to vote for their party of choice. Such an election would not have produced the result we saw last week.

We had a referendum on changing to an Av system in 2011. 67% chose to stay with fptp.

There is a recent mandate for this system and it should not change.

We have never had a vote on PR - the Electoral Reform Society said that a change to AV based on the current constituency map would probably change nothing.

I'm not really bothered either way but if you look at the huge difference politically between us and Scotland now it probably makes sense to go our separate ways. The SNP and Tories are polar opposites.

The sooner the jocks eff off the better . They can have their " progressive" nation without the English . Its a win win really , we get rid of the whining layabouts and hopefully lefties like Toynbee & little Owen jones will move up there .

You're just a ray of sunshine aren't you? You know half of the reason that independence is a fairly popular notion in Scotland is that they don't feel represented by Westminster? It's a notion that's shared across many parts of the UK including the North of England, down in places like Cornwall and especially in parts of Wales. Would you suggest getting rid of those places as well so you can form your nice little garrett consisting solely of the South-East of England?

You're just a ray of sunshine aren't you? You know half of the reason that independence is a fairly popular notion in Scotland is that they don't feel represented by Westminster? It's a notion that's shared across many parts of the UK including the North of England, down in places like Cornwall and especially in parts of Wales. Would you suggest getting rid of those places as well so you can form your nice little garrett consisting solely of the South-East of England?

The southwest is very represented thank you very much

One step at a time . Let's have an English & Welsh parliament first .

Can you imagine the Sweatys grievance if there was an English one and not a jock one . Hopefully Cameron will give them full fiscal autonomy and they can set their own income tax rates . Of course being such a " progressive " country they'll all willingly pay a lot more tax for great public services . They'll be no bedroom tax and no austerity and everybody will live happily ever after . What can possibly go wrong?

The sooner the jocks eff off the better . They can have their " progressive" nation without the English . Its a win win really , we get rid of the whining layabouts and hopefully lefties like Toynbee & little Owen jones will move up there .

It's so weird reading your comments with Willie Nelson staring back at me.

Poor old Willie - he'd be horrified!

well, you claimed that the southwest is very represented thank you very much....just asking to give us a ball-park figure on how you came to that??

if it was from a newspaper clipping or a tele interview then fine. If not, how do you know?

Not sure the separatists would agree with you on that one!

One step at a time . Let's have an English & Welsh parliament first .

Can you imagine the Sweatys grievance if there was an English one and not a jock one . Hopefully Cameron will give them full fiscal autonomy and they can set their own income tax rates . Of course being such a " progressive " country they'll all willingly pay a lot more tax for great public services . They'll be no bedroom tax and no austerity and everybody will live happily ever after . What can possibly go wrong?

I agree with you on English & Welsh parliaments - I think it's only fair that matters solely concerning those countries should be decided solely by representatives of those countries as opposed to the UK as a whole deciding something that will only affect a smaller area of it. That's one of the issues that I disagree with the SNP on.

In terms of taxation - I would happily pay more tax in return for better public services. I think that should be the case across the board in the UK, although some people seem to equate taxes with an attack on personal freedom and moan about all their money going to the state, but then complain about the state of the NHS or that the buses don't run properly or whatever. In order to have a properly funded and well-maintained public service system there has to be proper funding which comes from proper taxation. I think anybody that knows anything about politics will see that's always going to be the case if these things are controlled by the state. That's the price you pay for not having your public services controlled by for-profit organisations that will always put their profits first and the service they provide second.

Also you seem to mock the "progressive" Scots but i'm not sure why that's a cause for scorn? It must be horrible living in a country that's been a leading light for gay rights, pushes for drug reform and wants a fairer distribution of wealth through the proper taxation that the Tories are incapable of delivering. I'd rather be progressive than living in a nice time bubble like UKIP supporters seem to be, desperately clutching onto the ideals of the 50's as the times go by them..

Not sure the separatists would agree with you on that one!

I agree with you on English & Welsh parliaments - I think it's only fair that matters solely concerning those countries should be decided solely by representatives of those countries as opposed to the UK as a whole deciding something that will only affect a smaller area of it. That's one of the issues that I disagree with the SNP on.

In terms of taxation - I would happily pay more tax in return for better public services. I think that should be the case across the board in the UK, although some people seem to equate taxes with an attack on personal freedom and moan about all their money going to the state, but then complain about the state of the NHS or that the buses don't run properly or whatever. In order to have a properly funded and well-maintained public service system there has to be proper funding which comes from proper taxation. I think anybody that knows anything about politics will see that's always going to be the case if these things are controlled by the state. That's the price you pay for not having your public services controlled by for-profit organisations that will always put their profits first and the service they provide second.

Also you seem to mock the "progressive" Scots but i'm not sure why that's a cause for scorn? It must be horrible living in a country that's been a leading light for gay rights, pushes for drug reform and wants a fairer distribution of wealth through the proper taxation that the Tories are incapable of delivering. I'd rather be progressive than living in a nice time bubble like UKIP supporters seem to be, desperately clutching onto the ideals of the 50's as the times go by them..

It's you lefties that are stuck in a time warp . An nhs stuck in the 50's , no private money or god forbid any form of insurance . Stuck in a backward bloc of nations , nothing sums up the 1970's nature of the EUSSR than the CAP. Lefties are still fighting Mrs T , but in their warped view of the world their the " progressive" ones . Labour need to listen to Frank Field and the bloke whose wife has nice tits . There's nothing modern thinking or progressive about chucking money at services and bankrupting the nation . Nothing progressive about making the state bigger & bigger .

People always say they'll pay more tax , who wouldn't ? But the funny thing is nobody gets elected when they promise to do so .

It's you lefties that are stuck in a time warp . An nhs stuck in the 50's , no private money or god forbid any form of insurance . Stuck in a backward bloc of nations , nothing sums up the 1970's nature of the EUSSR than the CAP. Lefties are still fighting Mrs T , but in their warped view of the world their the " progressive" ones . Labour need to listen to Frank Field and the bloke whose wife has nice tits . There's nothing modern thinking or progressive about chucking money at services and bankrupting the nation . Nothing progressive about making the state bigger & bigger .

People always say they'll pay more tax , who wouldn't ? But the funny thing is nobody gets elected when they promise to do so .

UKIP supporter accuses others of being in a time warp, in the same post where he uses the epithet "EUSSR".

Solid gold.

First of all, it's been scientifically proven that every time somebody writes "leftie" on a forum they lose an IQ point so you may want to watch yourself. You're veering dangerously close to BadBoySaint levels.

Secondly, the bit in bold is a ludicrous statement - who says that spending extra on public services would bankrupt the country? The idea is that you only spend what you can afford which is something that Labour failed to heed and is partially the reason why we're in the situation we're in now as a country. As long as any extra spending on top of operational costs is funded by tax revenues there's no problem. Also I would argue that the state should be bigger - after all it is the f*cking state. I feel inherently uncomfortable with the notion of the private sector picking up the slack on services that would traditionally be provided by the state. Means testing for welfare, running hospitals and prisons... I don't think those kind of things should be trusted to organisations that only have a loyalty to deliver profit to their shareholders.

I think you and I have really fundamental differences on this but I fail to see why you're so against the notion of "the state".

LOL. What would Willie do? ........not this. :mcinnes:

So Ed Balls gets an £88,000 pay off of which £33,500 is for redundancy. Except he wasn't made redundant....

Tories at it as well.

I am sorry, but that is disgusting...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3075453/Now-11-5m-golden-goodbyes-ousted-MP-claim-redundancy-package-Ed-Balls-entitled-88-000-payout.html

Edited by Johnny Bognor

So Ed Balls gets an £88,000 pay off of which £33,500 is for redundancy. Except he wasn't made redundant....

Tories at it as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3075453/Now-11-5m-golden-goodbyes-ousted-MP-claim-redundancy-package-Ed-Balls-entitled-88-000-payout.html

It is, the new government will be too busy cutting disability benefits and reintroducing fox hunting to worry about it though.

It is, the new government will be too busy cutting disability benefits and reintroducing fox hunting to worry about it though.

If balls is a true leftie, I am sure he wil refuse it. Yeah right...

Really against the fox hunting bull****. It only effects a few people and there are far more important things to worry about at the moment. Bull**** distractions are not required.

As for welfare cuts, can't comment until we are told what they are. Wasn't happy with the lack of clarity in the Tory campaign

Edited by Johnny Bognor

They would soon find out that this redistribution of wealth will see the wealthy leaving Scotland in their droves or finding ways to avoid paying the increased taxation, and the wealth-creators moving their businesses elsewhere, probably south of the border. I'm very content that the Scottish Parliament should have powers to raise their own taxation. When it all ends in disaster and wrecks their economy, it will be a lesson to those in England who think that austerity measures should be dropped and that it is OK to spend money that we don't have.

We have never had a vote on PR - the Electoral Reform Society said that a change to AV based on the current constituency map would probably change nothing.

If that is true, then the Electoral Reform Society was incredibly short-sighted.

It was never taken as a vote for "no to AV". It was interpreted as "we don't want any electoral reform for the next 40 years".

They would soon find out that this redistribution of wealth will see the wealthy leaving Scotland in their droves or finding ways to avoid paying the increased taxation, and the wealth-creators moving their businesses elsewhere, probably south of the border. I'm very content that the Scottish Parliament should have powers to raise their own taxation. When it all ends in disaster and wrecks their economy, it will be a lesson to those in England who think that austerity measures should be dropped and that it is OK to spend money that we don't have.

Spot on.

And after years and years of " progressive " tax & spend , decline and misery , they'll vote for a party of the right to clear up the mess. They'll need a Mrs McT, to drag them into the 21st century.

Spot on.

And after years and years of " progressive " tax & spend , decline and misery , they'll vote for a party of the right to clear up the mess. They'll need a Mrs McT, to drag them into the 21st century.

Lord Duckhunter, the Scottish voter has been rejecting the conservative party since 1960; the last time it won a majority was in 1955 and since 1997 it's only had one of two seats. How in the name of satan's ikea sofa do you think that is ever going to happen?

Honestly, they could have a disaster and I do not honestly think they would turn to the unionist/conservative party.

highly apt this but... :mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes:

Spot on.

It's just a step to the right....let's do the time warp again.

If that is true, then the Electoral Reform Society was incredibly short-sighted.

It was never taken as a vote for "no to AV". It was interpreted as "we don't want any electoral reform for the next 40 years".

Which is why the in out European referendum is so dangerous.

Edited by hypochondriac

Lord Duckhunter, the Scottish voter has been rejecting the conservative party since 1960; the last time it won a majority was in 1955 and since 1997 it's only had one of two seats. How in the name of satan's ikea sofa do you think that is ever going to happen?

Honestly, they could have a disaster and I do not honestly think they would turn to the unionist/conservative party.

highly apt this but... :mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes::mcinnes:

Because any independent jockistan will have pr elections . In 2005 the Tories were within 2% of the SNP under Michael Howard, and in 2010 they were pretty close to their share . Look at Wales in 2001 there were no Tory MPs , they are slowly building up support as labour make a pigs ear of running the assembly , and the Taffy NHS in particular. Let the Sweatys have 20 years of lefty policies and then see where they vote. They will need someone to clear up the mess.

BTW I didn't say it would necessary be the Tories , just a party of the right. It may even be a new party, not connected to Tories.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Don't understand all the fuss about the vote in repealing Fox hunting.

It's a free vote and there are 20 conservatives against it.

There's no way it will get through, and it was only put in the manifesto to appease the right in the full knowledge that it will never go through.

Tories at it as well.

Technically I think he was made redundant. His post as "Labour MP" is redundant as the job doesn't exist anymore, it has been replaced with the job of "Conservative MP", for which he was unsuitable to apply.

Also, the majority of the payments are for him to pass on to his own staff. Probably a chunk of very junior people who need the money/job.

So going to disagree with you on this one I'm afraid.

Technically I think he was made redundant. His post as "Labour MP" is redundant as the job doesn't exist anymore, it has been replaced with the job of "Conservative MP", for which he was unsuitable to apply.

Also, the majority of the payments are for him to pass on to his own staff. Probably a chunk of very junior people who need the money/job.

There are special arrangements for MPs and ministers in these situations.

It was ever thus so.

I don't understand the question. Tory cuts won't help it at all.

I think the person asking the question was being a bit rhetorical but it was certainly a very childish response.

Lord Duckhunter, doesn't it depend on your definition of right wing? I mean a very militant, nationalistic party that (I don't know how) hates the English more than the SNP could be described as "right-wing" and if one of those got into power...

The job isn't Conservative MP or Labour MP. It is MP and therefore the post is still there. Also, as the term was a 5 year parliament, so it was in effect a 5 year contract. If his employment started in the 2010 election, why is his "redundancy" dated back to the previous election? It still irks me...

I get the expenses for wrapping things up and £55k to get rid of Balls is a small price to pay.

Which is why the in out European referendum is so dangerous.

I think you've sadly got to see all referendums the same way. It is legislation that the government doesn't want to pass itself, so they hand it to the public with a view of getting them to vote it down. Then it is off the agenda for another forty years.

Whether that holds true today remains to be seen. The Scots were promised a lot of stuff for staying in, which hasn't really materialised. Their independence vote was essentially blocked by the over 55s. I don't think it can wait 40 years.

But yeah, the EU referendum. If it happens, just expect more of the same. NO voters will be cast as racist scum, or at best, confused about the issues. We'll be convinced to vote no. That'll be 40 more years of the EU.