What colour is this dress?

pap

This bugged me last night when the wife showed me last night, so I did some forensic photo CSI in Lightroom and solved it... ;)

I thought it was white and gold at first - the photo looks like it's taken outside and the dress is in the shade... I assumed the camera was white balancing for the sunlight making the colour temperature of the dress 'colder' and appearing more of a blue shade of white.

It turns out I was giving the godawful camera sensor far too much credit. I looked at it on the computer and realised that that it is actually taken inside a shop of some kind. So that golden 'sunlight' is actually mostly fluorescent indoor light, which is a lot 'colder' - so I decreased the colour temperature until it matched what the inside of a department store usually looks like.

It's also massively over exposed, and once you bring it down and recover some of the detail in the highlights, you can start to see how the dress is black and blue.

The 'gold' is what happens when the worst camera in the world takes the worst photo in the world of something black. It's so massively over exposed and way too warm that it no longer looks like black. Just a sad noisy mess. Turn your SLR up to it's highest ISO setting and take a picture in a dark room, add in the wrong white balance and your blacks won't look black. The 'noise' is so crazy and the pixels are so colourised that the warm color temp makes it look 'gold'. Once you do some noise reduction they look a bit more... Black.

So, in summary. This picture is the result of a horrible camera committing a crime against photography.

Most people who think the dress is white and gold are compensating for the fact that the light in the background looks like sunlight and the dress looks like it's in the shade. That's what my eyes assumed at first.

The freaky weirdos who see it as blue and black are somehow able to bypass what the evil camera did to the image and are immune to the colour temperature of light. I can see that a camera absolutely trashed the black, but how the hell do you guys actually see it as black??? I'm glad I'm not you or I would have to find a different job....

This was just a quick 2 minute recovery job in Lightroom, but i'm betting the real dress looks a lot like this.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-26%20at%208.52.22%20PM.png

gcmrcydrfpdfyamqbp8w.jpg

Edited by Cascadia Saint

So apparently the dress is actually blue and black.

They showed it on C4 news. It is unbelievably (to me) Blue and Black. Darker than an Inter Milan kit. Really blue, really black.

All the images on this thread I see as White/Gold. Just nuts.

This bugged me last night when the wife showed me last night, so I did some forensic photo CSI in Lightroom and solved it... ;)

I thought it was white and gold at first - the photo looks like it's taken outside and the dress is in the shade... I assumed the camera was white balancing for the sunlight making the colour temperature of the dress 'colder' and appearing more of a blue shade of white.

It turns out I was giving the godawful camera sensor far too much credit. I looked at it on the computer and realised that that it is actually taken inside a shop of some kind. So that golden 'sunlight' is actually mostly fluorescent indoor light, which is a lot 'colder' - so I decreased the colour temperature until it matched what the inside of a department store usually looks like.

It's also massively over exposed, and once you bring it down and recover some of the detail in the highlights, you can start to see how the dress is black and blue.

The 'gold' is what happens when the worst camera in the world takes the worst photo in the world of something black. It's so massively over exposed and way too warm that it no longer looks like black. Just a sad noisy mess. Turn your SLR up to it's highest ISO setting and take a picture in a dark room, add in the wrong white balance and your blacks won't look black. The 'noise' is so crazy and the pixels are so colourised that the warm color temp makes it look 'gold'. Once you do some noise reduction they look a bit more... Black.

So, in summary. This picture is the result of a horrible camera committing a crime against photography.

Most people who think the dress is white and gold are compensating for the fact that the light in the background looks like sunlight and the dress looks like it's in the shade. That's what my eyes assumed at first.

The freaky weirdos who see it as blue and black are somehow able to bypass what the evil camera did to the image and are immune to the colour temperature of light. I can see that a camera absolutely trashed the black, but how the hell do you guys actually see it as black??? I'm glad I'm not you or I would have to find a different job....

This was just a quick 2 minute recovery job in Lightroom, but i'm betting the real dress looks a lot like this.

Screen%20Shot%202015-02-26%20at%208.52.22%20PM.png

gcmrcydrfpdfyamqbp8w.jpg

Good comparison pics.

I (I see white and gold) also fiddled with contrast and brightness settings yesterday and eventually came up with an even deeper blue and black dress that I could see. I can also see the (paler) blue and black version in your adjusted pic. It's clear that it's a very poorly exposed picture but still doesn't explain why different people see that same photo differently. Surely we should all see the poorly exposed one. There's some logic in your compensation for the bright light on the top right theory except there seems little difference in that area on both of your pics.

I've often wondered how we know that someone else is colour blind. How do we know who see the colours "correctly". As for dogs only see in b&w, how do we know? (or has QI debunked that one?)

Still baffled.

I was convinced white & gold at first. Then it suddenly changed to blue & black. Thought the pic had been changed.

Now when I look at it, it starts as white and gold, and slowly before my eyes transforms to blue & black. It's firkin weird and gives me a headache :(

An excellent informative post. I noticed that if I look at the image and it appears white/gold, focusing on the 'sunlight' (as I originally assumed) over the shoulder of the dress causes the white to transform into blue before my eyes.

My guess is that my fooled brain is gradually adjusting to the fact that it is looking at fluorescent light, rather than sunlight.

Edited by Plastic

For me, it never changes. Some pictures show white and gold and some blue and black, but that is just the photo and not the dress. I can see how colour correction can change its appearance but not how it can change whilst you're looking at it. I've spent enough time adjusting the colour balance on TV cameras and playing with Photoshop to know what can be achieved but for me any individual photo is only ever one thing.

It's black and blue, but I see white and gold. However as someone said on Facebook, if you look at the white and gold picture on a screen like an iPad or phone, and tilt the device as if you're looking "up" the picture from the bottom, if does appear blue and black. Brains are weird.

I can see how colour correction can change its appearance but not how it can change whilst you're looking at

I can't explain it I'm afraid, colour just seems to seep into the White.

It's like if I have been laying in the sun with my eyes closed for a few minutes.

Sit up and look around and everything has a greenish bluish tint, which fades as my eyes adjust back.

For me, it never changes. Some pictures show white and gold and some blue and black, but that is just the photo and not the dress. I can see how colour correction can change its appearance but not how it can change whilst you're looking at it. I've spent enough time adjusting the colour balance on TV cameras and playing with Photoshop to know what can be achieved but for me any individual photo is only ever one thing.

They showed it on the One Show last night and from the picture I saw white and gold and Mrs SOG saw blue and black. The presenter wore the dress and it looked blue and black to both of us. Spooky.

I can't explain it I'm afraid, colour just seems to seep into the White.

It's like if I have been laying in the sun with my eyes closed for a few minutes.

Sit up and look around and everything has a greenish bluish tint, which fades as my eyes adjust back.

Nope, only ever white and gold on my iPad 2 no matter how I look at it. I've just examined the pixels with a magnifier and it's definitely not blue and black. If you have a colour tint after looking at it then I suspect you gave very low ambient lighting. What you describe is an afterimage.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

I was convinced white & gold at first. Then it suddenly changed to blue & black. Thought the pic had been changed.

Now when I look at it, it starts as white and gold, and slowly before my eyes transforms to blue & black. It's firkin weird and gives me a headache :(

I saw it the same, very odd. Once it changed to black and blue I can't see it as white and gold anymore

Hope, only ever white and gold on my iPad 2 no matter how I look at it. I've just examined the pixels with a magnifier and it's definitely not blue and black. If you have a colour tint after looking at it then I suspect you gave very low ambient lighting. What you describe is an afterimage.

Yes I know it's not the same scenario, just trying to explain the experience of the colour fading in.

Most people seem to see it as blue black, or on later viewing it changes to blue black judging from Twitter / Facebook.

When I first saw it change I was looking at the image on my iPhone, and I thought it was a joke that anyone saw blue / black.

Browsed around a bit, came back and it had changed. No change in ambient lighting.