The Alderweireld has signed for Spurs so who should we sign instead thread?

I was listening to Talksport some weeks ago and a member of Celtics backroom staff said they had a fantastic young centreback (not Van Djyk) who will be a fantastic player.Perhaps we should buy him

Edited by OldNick

Think these are the centre-back's we've been linked with this summer:

- Bruno Martins Indi

- Terence Kongolo

- Sven van Beek

- Virgil van Dijk

- Fabian Schar

- Aleksandar Dragovic

- Papy Djilobodji

- Hector Moreno

- Angelo Ogbonna

- Ron Vlaar

Think these are the centre-back's we've been linked with this summer:

- Bruno Martins Indi

- Terence Kongolo

- Sven van Beek

- Virgil van Dijk

- Fabian Schar

- Aleksandar Dragovic

- Papy Djilobodji

- Hector Moreno

- Angelo Ogbonna

- Ron Vlaar

These 2 are mustard

Another 3 names if we fancy being really ambitious.

Chancel Mbemba, Aymen Abdennour, Antonio Rudiger

Would old Radhi Jaidi be able to have a word with him joining, haven't seen much of him but he's class on all the FM's

Would old Radhi Jaidi be able to have a word with him joining, haven't seen much of him but he's class on all the FM's

People will sneer at that comment, but I still love it when we get linked with a quality FM player!

Had the same feeling with Gradel the other day - Played his part in many promotion campaigns for me :)

Good point actually. I imagine he'll probably only move to a club in the Champions League though.

Has anyone actually watched Van Dijk? Other than in matches with Celtic wiping the floor against league 1 level opposition?

Not saying he's pants, he may well be excellent.

Saw him play against hearts a couple of years ago at Tynecastle, looked a beast and very good that day along with Fraser, but as others have said not exactly been tested against quality opposition.

out of interest, that tunisian defender we nearly signed in 2011 (presumably influenced by jaidi) before he got upset at cortese trying to cheat his former club out of their cut has ended up back in tunisia playing for the club he started at. i don't think we lost out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammar_Jemal

out of interest, that tunisian defender we nearly signed in 2011 (presumably influenced by jaidi) before he got upset at cortese trying to cheat his former club out of their cut has ended up back in tunisia playing for the club he started at. i don't think we lost out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammar_Jemal

I nearly ran him over once... he walked out into the road opposite the red funnel entrance just as I was turning the corner. He did look rather unhappy and gave me some serious evils, wouldn't have messed with him that's for sure!

Edited by ErwinK1961

Is there any good English players available? I miss having an English core.

Scott Dann

Shawcross

Curtis Davis

James Tomkins

Not saying they are of Toby's level, but they are proven; would add depth; and be useful with the extra games this season.

Scott Dann

Shawcross

Curtis Davis

James Tomkins

Not saying they are of Toby's level, but they are proven; would add depth; and be useful with the extra games this season.

Scott Dann would do a job, but at 28? Probably.

Shawcross... ugh.

Davis is 30 and didn't do a lot for Hull last season from memory.

Tomkins perhaps.

I don't particularly care if players are English though. Just decent.

Shawcross... ugh.

Tomkins perhaps.

These were just a few names off the top of my head, who are English and experienced in the premier league so come with a fair amount of "you know what you are getting".

Any of those 4 would give us added depth to the squad more injuries, suspensions, Europe, cup runs given the apparent lack of confidence in Gardos and Steohens & Turnbull going on loan lat year to a L1 side

Scott Dann

Shawcross

Curtis Davis

James Tomkins

You've set your sights extremely low. They are all a drop in quality from Alderweireld, lacking in technical ability on the ball and we have no need to "add depth", that is what Yoshida, Gardos & youngsters like Stephens, McCarthy, Turnbull, Wood are for. Saints will need a 1st choice centre back of high quality to partner Fonte.

Shawcross is the only one close enough to what we'd need, and although he is a good centre back I think he is a little limited technically and we'd need better. Plus I doubt we could get him from Stoke. The others aren't remotely good enough for us and a huge drop in quality.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Shawcross... ugh.

Tomkins perhaps.

Basically gave Shawcross the lowest rating haven't you? Miles better than the other three.

Is there any good English players available? I miss having an English core.

Just imagine if we were able to somehow persuade Steven Gerard to come to us on loan for a season! Imagine if he scored against Liverpool and celebrated wildly, kissing his Saints badge and jumping over the barriers to hug our fans! Aaaah, if only life could be like my imagination....

Edited by Brave Sir Robin

You've set your sights extremely low. They are all a drop in quality from Alderweireld, lacking in technical ability on the ball and we have no need to "add depth", that is what Yoshida, Gardos & youngsters like Stephens, McCarthy, Turnbull, Wood are for. Saints will need a 1st choice centre back of high quality to partner Fonte.

Shawcross is the only one close enough to what we'd need, and although he is a good centre back I think he is a little limited technically and we'd need better. Plus I doubt we could get him from Stoke. The others aren't remotely good enough for us and a huge drop in quality.

Yeah as we are the mighty Saints. We shouldnt be signing players from these midtable sides now we are the best of the rest

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint_Tony

Who have we been linked with? Ogbonna seems to be off to West Ham, Van Dijk rumours have gone quiet but then, in The March documentary they said they'd been in talks with Soares (or was it Juanmi?) for a month before rumours broke, so we may already be in discussion with people / clubs but keeping it out of the media. Personally, I'd like to see us get someone like Marian Saar from Dortmund, or Stefan de Vrij from Lazio (Koeman link, don't know if he'd work with him again after stripping him of Feeyonords captaincy...)

Who have we been linked with? Ogbonna seems to be off to West Ham, Van Dijk rumours have gone quiet but then, in The March documentary they said they'd been in talks with Soares (or was it Juanmi?) for a month before rumours broke, so we may already be in discussion with people / clubs but keeping it out of the media. Personally, I'd like to see us get someone like Marian Saar from Dortmund, or Stefan de Vrij from Lazio (Koeman link, don't know if he'd work with him again after stripping him of Feeyonords captaincy...)

See post #57

It depends on how much we're prepared to spend. A really good Toby class CB will cost us a fair sum unless there's someone towards the end of his contract that all the "big clubs" don't know about.

The Toby Class was introduced in 2014 and was designed to be a modern variant on the classic 'utility' unit, with 'can-play-across-the-back' and 'holding-midfielder' modes built in as standard. It even had a 'slightly-further-forward' option that could be deployed in emergencies and overtly attacking formations..

The Toby Class proved popular in it's first year of operation on the South Coast Mainline however it was withdrawn shortly after an incident where it came off the rails.

It was later discovered that, despite it's initially positive service, the Toby Class suffers from a faulty cock.

I think we'll go young and Dutch, possibly 1 of these 3

1-Sven van beek 20, youth apps for Holland, 41 apps Dutch League-Played under Koeman

2-Terence Kongolo 21, 2apps Holland 54apps Dutch League-Played under Koeman

3-Virgil van Dijk 23, youth apps for Holland 62 apps Dutch League, 71 apps Scottish League- From Celtic who we always seem to buy players from!

We have no chance of top 4 in the short-medium term so we might as well sign young players and develop them, hope they're loyal or sell them off to the highest bidder. That's the way it is, if you don't like it go support one of the elite. We are not them.

1-Sven van beek 20, youth apps for Holland, 41 apps Dutch League-Played under Koeman

3-Virgil van Dijk 23, youth apps for Holland 62 apps Dutch League, 71 apps Scottish League- From Celtic who we always seem to buy players from!

We have no chance of top 4 in the short-medium term so we might as well sign young players and develop them, hope they're loyal or sell them off to the highest bidder. That's the way it is, if you don't like it go support one of the elite. We are not them.

Again though, it shouldn't be a choice of go and support a top 4 team or accept we are going to sell off a load of players every summer. Other teams manage not to do this, look at the likes of Everton and Swansea.

Again though, it shouldn't be a choice of go and support a top 4 team or accept we are going to sell off a load of players every summer. Other teams manage not to do this, look at the likes of Everton and Swansea.

Because Everton are bigger than us and Swansea's players don't turn out to be as good as ours, except Bony oh and Allen, apparently

Also Mirallas won't sign a new deal and Lukaku won't be there forever. We just seem to buy/Develop more high quality players than them, which is a good thing surely

Edited by Saint IQ

Lazio finished 3rd in Serie A and are in the Champions League next season. I can't see us getting him.

So we shouldn't be lowering our sights to sign West Ham or Stoke players, but you don't think we can get anyone from a team in the Champions League. Who does that leave, Liverpool and Spurs?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Maybe van Dijk although he failed when he was tested for the Dutch national team. It will be a gamble which can go wrong but that was also the case with Alderweireld who wasn't that great at Ajax and usually had to sit on the bench when he was at Atletico.

Van Beek is the rising star among the Dutch defenders but he won't leave Feyenoord for another year or two because he knows he has to learn more. After that I expect him to be sold to a big club, especially when he's a regular in "Oranje".

Kongolo had a very bad year and is clearly not ready to go abroad.

Edited by van Hanegem

Maybe van Dijk although he failed when he was tested for the Dutch national team. It will be a gamble which can go wrong but that was also the case with Alderweireld who wasn't that great at Ajax and usually had to sit on the bench when he was at Atletico.

Van Beek is the rising star among the Dutch defenders but he won't leave Feyenoord for another year or two because he knows he has to learn more. After that I expect him to be sold to a big club, especially when he's a regular in "Oranje".

Kongolo had a very bad year and is clearly not ready to go abroad.

Well if Van Beek has more to learn and is expected to move to a big club in a year or two then Southampton is the perfect place :lol:

We seem to sign Celtic players with ease and I just wonder if Charlie Mulgrew could fill a few of our spaces in one go ?

He can play LB, CB and DM and when fit is a real asset ! He played for Scotland recently (against ROI) after a long lay off and was excellent !

Just thinking out of the box so please don't slag me off unless in a constructive manner :)

We seem to sign Celtic players with ease and I just wonder if Charlie Mulgrew could fill a few of our spaces in one go ?

He can play LB, CB and DM and when fit is a real asset ! He played for Scotland recently (against ROI) after a long lay off and was excellent !

Just thinking out of the box so please don't slag me off unless in a constructive manner :)

I'm a Scotland fan and while Mulgrew is good he's not quite good enough for us. Very versatile and would be a handy squad player, but we don't need squad players.

Well if Van Beek has more to learn and is expected to move to a big club in a year or two then Southampton is the perfect place :lol:

Right now it sure is for players from the Eredivisie who are ready for the next step and want to play in the PL ;) Especially with Ronald and Erwin Koeman to coach them...

But a lot of Dutch youngsters (Rekik, Bruma, Ebecilio etc.) went to clubs like Chelsea and Mancity and failed to break through so there's a tendency going on among new talents to stay in Holland and first prove themselves in the Eredivisie (Depay, Wijnaldum, de Vrij). There still are youngsters going to England like Terence Kongolo's little brother Rodney who decided to leave Feyenoord for Mancity U18 but van Beek is not one of them. He had to struggle through the Feyenoord academy, he wasn't the exceptional talent then but he's getting better and better and he has got a great mentality. He's better than de Vrij was at his current age and because Lazio Roma is very pleased with de Vrij, it's expected that van Beek will be sold to a club like Lazio or even bigger. However, if the Saints are willing to splash a lot of cash in about two years time, who knows... :)

would be happy with the lad from Celtic to be honest he looks decent and should prove a good investment wouldn't say no to Vlaar as well provided wages are sensible he might not be absolutely top draw but he is a solid experienced defender at this level.