All things Labour Party

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I wouldn't sneer too much the actual cabinet hardly has much gravitas, it's nothing like the heady days of Thatchers gang; two political lightweights in Chancellor and Foreigh Secretary, a fairly useless and totally unliked Home Secretary, a health secretary that no one had heard of before Corona, middling defence and education secretaries and then below that a bunch of top scores in Pointless. The only 'names' in Gove and Mogg are such ****s they couldn't be trusted with a proper role. All led by a bloke whose has achieved so little he has to pad his CV out with the London Olympics.
Who said it was? The tory cabinet not being great doesn't make the goons in the shadow cabinet any better. If anything it's more of an embarrassment. Edited by hypochondriac

Jonnyboy what do you reckon about the stellar lineup in the shadow cabinet? Emily Thornberry, David Lammy, jess Phillips, Naz Shah, Rebecca long Bailey. Some serious talent there.

I don't really like any of the parties, but there's also a real lack of decent, trustworthy politicians in the actual cabinet too. Far too many people who are in it for selfish reasons rather than actually working for the better of the country or their constituents.

I don't really like any of the parties, but there's also a real lack of decent, trustworthy politicians in the actual cabinet too. Far too many people who are in it for selfish reasons rather than actually working for the better of the country or their constituents.
Lol is that the only answer to the shadow cabinet being rubbish? I've already answered that one, the cabinet not being great doesn't make the shadow cabinet better.

Lol is that the only answer to the shadow cabinet being rubbish? I've already answered that one, the cabinet not being great doesn't make the shadow cabinet better.

It's not an answer, just an observation. Of course it doesn't make it better. It's mostly terrible, but the cupboard is bare. Who else should be in it instead?

Jonnyboy thinks that dossier proves that all the anti-semitism in Corbyn's Labour was all "made up" because that's how they've reported it on Squawkbox.

Thick doesn't even begin to cover it.

Still waiting for a genuine example of tolerated antisemitism to emerge to justify all the abuse and headlines. It's only been five years or so.

Mate have you read some of the accusations in that article, its ****in laughable, a few WhatsApps from non Corbyn supporters ****ed off with the result. To be electable you have to be a large broad political party and these always have wings and factions. Every major party in or out of government has had to deal with them and Corbyns time is no different, so to claim that it affected their electibility or their ability to deal with antisemitism is a joke.

To me it reads like someone with the hate of CB Fry was entrusted with a very important role in the apparatus. When the staff of such key roles only care about your downfall your hands are pretty tied.

Edited by Jonnyboy

It's not an answer, just an observation. Of course it doesn't make it better. It's mostly terrible, but the cupboard is bare. Who else should be in it instead?
Literally any other labour mp than David Lammy as shadow justice Secretary. Blindfold someone and get them to throw a dart at every Labour mp on a board and you'd get a better candidate.

Can you name a single Labour MP you rate?
Starmer seems like the best choice for leader out of the candidates. I thought Lisa Nandy was a good public speaker with some interesting ideas even if she crashed and burned over the whole trans thing. Liz kendall has been alright in the past and Andy Burnham has earnt a lot of my respect with how he has handled himself. Ian Murray seems like a good bloke. That's just off the top of my head though, I'm sure there are a lot more.

Edit: I forgot Alan whitehead is a great guy. I've had many dealings with him and he's genuinely a good bloke. I like him a lot.

It's not hard to find lots of Labour politicians who would be better than many of the people now in the shadow cabinet and I say that even if I disagree with some of their politics. All they have to be is not be dislikable, race baiters, snobbish or not obsessed with identity politics. Admittedly that does rule out a lot of Labour MPs.

Edited by hypochondriac

Starmer seems like the best choice for leader out of the candidates. I thought Lisa Nandy was a good public speaker with some interesting ideas even if she crashed and burned over the whole trans thing. Liz kendall has been alright in the past and Andy Burnham has earnt a lot of my respect with how he has handled himself. Ian Murray seems like a good bloke. That's just off the top of my head though, I'm sure there are a lot more.

Edit: I forgot Alan whitehead is a great guy. I've had many dealings with him and he's genuinely a good bloke. I like him a lot.

It's not hard to find lots of Labour politicians who would be better than many of the people now in the shadow cabinet and I say that even if I disagree with some of their politics. All they have to be is not be dislikable, race baiters, snobbish or not obsessed with identity politics. Admittedly that does rule out a lot of Labour MPs.

It's good to see Alan Whitehead involved in the shadow cabinet.

What about Ed Miliband? I thought that be quite controversial but there doesn't seem to have been must talk about it.

It's good to see Alan Whitehead involved in the shadow cabinet.

What about Ed Miliband? I thought that be quite controversial but there doesn't seem to have been must talk about it.

I quite like Ed. He's certainly improved since he decided to actually be himself rather than be frightened to show any personality. The point is though that there are plenty of reasonable labour MPs that would make Labour more electable and who don't have the baggage and horrible personalities of jess Phillips, Naz Shah, Emily Thornberry or David Lammy. All of them are terrible choices who are obsessed with identity politics and I don't want them anywhere near government. Like it or not, personalities count for a lot probably even more so than policies and that lot are very easy to dislike. Edited by hypochondriac

I quite like Ed. He's certainly improved since he decided to actually be himself rather than be frightened to show any personality. The point is though that there are plenty of reasonable labour MPs that would make Labour more electable and who don't have the baggage and horrible personalities of jess Phillips, Naz Shah, Emily Thornberry or David Lammy. All of them are terrible choices who are obsessed with identity politics and I don't want them anywhere near government. Like it or not, personalities count for a lot probably even more so than policies and that lot are very easy to dislike.

Funny because I'm sure you've complained many times about him becoming leader and how it should've been David all along.

Plus wasn't it Ed that changed the membership rules that allowed Corbyn to become leader ultimately?

Funny because I'm sure you've complained many times about him becoming leader and how it should've been David all along.

Plus wasn't it Ed that changed the membership rules that allowed Corbyn to become leader ultimately?

I quite like him I didn't say I wanted him to be Labour leader. Quite liking someone doesn't mean you want them to be in charge or agree with some of the things they have done.

I quite like him I didn't say I wanted him to be Labour leader. Quite liking someone doesn't mean you want them to be in charge or agree with some of the things they have done.

OK but you're cool with him being a prominent shadow cabinet member.

It's your party. The internecine warfare in the Labour Party isn't that interesting unless you're on the far left.

Nice to see the grown-ups back in charge of the Labour Party. He's made a good start in challenging times.

The Coronavirus frontline - watch council leaders describe their challenges first hand as ⁦@SkyNews⁩ gets access to Keir Starmer’s meeting with 100+ local government leaders

I've been quite sympathetic when she's got dogs abuse from certain people on twitter in the past but she's certainly been terrible during this especially. Most inane and simplistic questions ever.

That's because you supported her massive bias against Corbyn's Labour. You are quite fickle.

That's because you supported her massive bias against Corbyn's Labour. You are quite fickle.
No I just didn't think she deserved some of the vile abuse from the usual types of people who dish that out. Nothing fickle about it. I find her pretty irritating and not a very good journalist but she certainly doesn't deserve some of the stuff that's been written about her regardless of what she's like.

I doubt the average black people gives much of a toss what some fringe Labour members have written about someone in a WhatsApp group. Most people have more important things to do.

I mean the black people on the receiving end of such abuse.

Funny, if it's so unimportant, why do you care so much as to comment?

No I just didn't think she deserved some of the vile abuse from the usual types of people who dish that out. Nothing fickle about it. I find her pretty irritating and not a very good journalist but she certainly doesn't deserve some of the stuff that's been written about her regardless of what she's like.

She's had a tough old life alright.

She's had a tough old life alright.
Why is that in any way relevant? Or is vile abuse justified for some people purely because they had more advantages in life than others? I know that's what many corbyn supporters think but it's not a view shared by most of the general public.

Sadly it's been jumped on by the usual hard left loons with the #youclapformenow stuff. Shame as it was something wholesome and positive beforehand.

No, it's just that from a Tory voter it's massively hypocritical virtue signalling, an accusation the right love to throw at the left.

"As they note, Kuenssberg and Peston, after years of happily retweeting damaging stories about Corbyn, have gone deathly quiet now the documented evidence shows they were being fed anti-Corbyn spin by Labour officials."

https://www.medialens.org/2020/the-people-have-spoken-bastards-leaked-labour-report-shows-partys-own-senior-staff-acted-to-keep-corbyn-out-of-power/

"As they note, Kuenssberg and Peston, after years of happily retweeting damaging stories about Corbyn, have gone deathly quiet now the documented evidence shows they were being fed anti-Corbyn spin by Labour officials."

https://www.medialens.org/2020/the-people-have-spoken-bastards-leaked-labour-report-shows-partys-own-senior-staff-acted-to-keep-corbyn-out-of-power/

I think there are other slightly more important news stories happening in the UK right this minute, champ.

But we know you love being in a cult so good for you.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/labour-staff-no-longer-confident-partys-general-secretary-as-their-safety-as-her-top-priority-after-leaking-of-antisemitism-report

Nice to see the actual workers in the Labour Party striking out at the despicable behaviour of the abhorrent Jennie Formby.

Her and Uncle Len (with Seamus and Communist Andrew Murray) thought they had the party sewn up in their image but thankfully the membership had other ideas, and it's fantastic that the workers are now fighting back too.

So little?

Won London (a labour city) twice.

Won the Brexit vote

Won the largest Tory majority since the great lady.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not a Brexit supporter but I'll give you brexit as he resolved the argument one way. It remains to be seen if it's beneficial, but that's an overdone argument.

The other two don't count as they are just winning elections, they are only achievements for the Tories, what has he done that has a significant benefit for the country/London. Boris bikes, the Olympics, the cupboard is pretty bare.

Not a Brexit supporter but I'll give you brexit as he resolved the argument one way. It remains to be seen if it's beneficial, but that's an overdone argument.

The other two don't count as they are just winning elections, they are only achievements for the Tories, what has he done that has a significant benefit for the country/London. Boris bikes, the Olympics, the cupboard is pretty bare.

The Olympics were secured by Tony Blair and delivered by an arms length organisation Boris had almost zero to do with.

I sometimes wonder what would have happened in 2015, after Corbyn was elected Labour leader, if he had stuck to his principles about leaving the EU.

Since the 70's Corbyn was very vocal about leaving the EU and even voted to leave. If Corbyn had stood by his conviction took the initiative while Johnson was still dithering and lead the leave campaign in 2016, would Johnson (a remainer at heart) had lead a remain campaign against him?

Fair enough Corbyn would probably of had to give up being the Labour leader but surely fighting for something you have believed in your whole life is better than selling yourself out.

Would Johnson have still beaten Corbyn?