• Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Targett
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Tadić
    • Romeu
    • Martina

Another really good win and have to say I was dubious about the formation again and the midfield changes. So pleased for JWP whose free-kick was sublime and one he has been threatening for some time. Interesting that he got to take the pen, but hey he did good with that too. Davis was immense - he covered so much ground and played some great through balls. Overall it's seems the Christmas lethargy has been shaken and we're back on track.

I wonder how Bertrand feels about playing in this centre back role. He is doing a great job, but will it effect his England position?

That's a very interesting question.

If he carries on like he is I would hope Roy actually considered him as a centre back!

It's not as though England are blessed there and having a CB who can play full-back is useful in a tournament squad.

We need to get Stones in the national team add his potential is enormous. Stones and Bertrand could be a cracking, well-balanced partnership.

I couldn't easily decide on MOM with so many players playing excellent team football. JWP for his goals, then Davis, and Long were all excellent, Mane made some brilliant jinxing runs on the left even though he missed a difficult acute shot on goal, or Tadic for his impact, and then there is Victor who, despite some misplacing, made 60 passes with 88% accuracy, according to the Indie. Then the new back three with lively VD on the right and Targett on the left wing beside Bertrand.

So i've decided that the tremendous improvement during our last two wins might have a lot to do with Forster in goal. What a presence he is and how important he is to the renewed confidence of Fonte and our whole defence, even though he had nothing to do.

So just for being there I'm making Forster my MOM. Welcome back! Contradict me everyone, with reasons.

Good performance and a good win. Really appreciated the chants for Rickie!

'You know you want to return' or 'There's only one Rickie Lambert' followed by ironic "****e Rickie Lambert when he skied the ball? Hilarious.

Yes it was good to see him again.

I must admit that I was not too optimistic about this game, especially after last seasons nil-nil bore. But JWP's early goal set us on course for an easy win. The defence was hardly tested & it was great to have the big man back in goal again. You could see the confidence that he instills is priceless. My MOM was Davis. Although Vic & Matty Targett weren't far behind. A different team than a few weeks ago. We March On!

I couldn't easily decide on MOM with so many players playing excellent team football. JWP for his goals, then Davis, and Long were all excellent, Mane made some brilliant jinxing runs on the left even though he missed a difficult acute shot on goal, or Tadic for his impact, and then there is Victor who, despite some misplacing, made 60 passes with 88% accuracy, according to the Indie. Then the new back three with lively VD on the right and Targett on the left wing beside Bertrand.

So i've decided that the tremendous improvement during our last two wins might have a lot to do with Forster in goal. What a presence he is and how important he is to the renewed confidence of Fonte and our whole defence, even though he had nothing to do.

So just for being there I'm making Forster my MOM. Welcome back! Contradict me everyone, with reasons.

Ah, so that's why I was Player of the Season for my club [a few years back]!! "Least involved" :p

It was a shame that Ricky didn't get any match time, but that was some tribute that our fans gave him. He could be in no doubt about the affection that we have for him and his contribution towards our climb up the divisions and our re-establishment as PL side.

But Rickie did have a little, and it was good to see him. As time goes by, Ricky's importance to our rise from the ashes and back to the Premiership seems more important than ever. One day, when he has retired, (and I hope not for a long time) this has to be commemorated at St Mary's.

If he carries on like he is I would hope Roy actually considered him as a centre back!

It's not as though England are blessed there and having a CB who can play full-back is useful in a tournament squad.

We need to get Stones in the national team add his potential is enormous. Stones and Bertrand could be a cracking, well-balanced partnership.

Now theres a thought, England emulate Saints and play a back three, but using players that are extremely comfortable on the ball rather than just 'tall defenders'. Everyone says of Greece can win the euros then there is always a chance of doing it. I seem to recall they played three at the back in 2004 on occasions. To be honest as long as don't play Jagielka then it will be an improvement on Brazil WC.

Bertrand is doing well, but he is essentially throwing himself at the attackers and letting Fonte and Van Dijk pick up the second ball. He'd struggle as one of two.

No, you just didn't have the same presence.

I do agree that having a 'solid' (for want of a better word) 'keeper gives the rest of the team a boost. If you know the last line of defence is dependable, it gives you the freedom to play with more confidence.

A great result to cap a very good week, topped off by signing Charlie Austin for the price of a packet of crisps!:lol:

Now we are right back in contention for one of the European spots. It is going to be very tough but we have nothing else to distract us between now and the end of the season, so you never know.

Good all round performance again, Targett terrific in new role, Soares got forward well, CBs and Fraser untroubled. Victor had best non-Arsenal game for a while, Davis excellent, Romeu unlucky to be dropped though and hope he returns for Man U away. Mane and Long a handful.

Looking forward to the rest of the season with a big gap to the bottom 3 now and key players coming back and summer signings such as Romeu, Cedric, Clasie and even Martina improving and Austin to come.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35339614

_87760874_garthstotw.png

James Ward-Prowse had only scored twice in 114 matches and he had doubled his career tally in just 30 minutes for the Saints against a very ordinary West Brom. His first goal was a beautifully taken free-kick and his second was a penalty that he looked so comfortable scoring he could have done it in carpet slippers.However it looks like manager Ronald Koeman has bowled himself into a selection nightmare. With Shane Long in good form, Graziano Pelle still to return and Dusan Tadic and Ward-Prowse scoring goals, it will be very interesting to see where he plays new signing Charlie Austin.

Austin can score goals but not without a particular type of service. The other players mentioned have more than goals to their repertoire - so it looks like Sadio Mane could be on his way.

An excellent performance all round, Davis got my MotM because of the number of occasions his excellent passing stood out. Sometimes Mane needs to release a pass a bit earlier (or at all...) - it's great that he picks up the ball and runs at defenders but when you have a man over in acres of space they really need to be put through. It's encouraging that we're playing well for more than a half, although we were still a bit profligate. Hard to tell if Watford and West Brom have been poor or if we've been too good - it's always a bit of both I guess, how often do you say "one team was great, but the other team was even better"?

Targett played for the penalty but it was a foul. Putting yourself between the defender and the ball and then being kicked is not the same in my book as 'winning a penalty' by sticking your foot out and deliberately tripping over the defender. I often see Martin Atkinson calling difficult decisions correctly (the sort of decisions most people need a replay to decide) and while I'm sure he'll cost Saints some points in future (!), I think in general he seems one of the better refs.