• Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Targett
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Tadić
    • Romeu
    • Martina

Very happy with that, really didn't think 6 points was acheivable at the beginning of the week but I'm very to be proven wrong. All but kills any worries of relegation now too so we can set our sights a bit higher up the table now. Whole team played well, noticed Pelle never came out to warm up at half time don't know why, injured perhaps?

I was expecting the usual dire, drab, boring match that usually occurs when we play West Brom down here. I also questioned why J. W-P was playing when I heard the team announcement. I am very happy to have been proved wrong on both accounts. We really did need that early goal, as it forced WBA to come forward, but even then they didn't venture out very far. What it did do though, was give us a massive confidence boost and the belief that if we kept on pressing them, we might gain our rewards. It made a nice change to have a decent referee too and especially one that wasn't afraid to award us a penalty. I can't recall the last one that we had and a glance at that table that assesses the number of refereeing decisions that either benefit or penalise a team, has us down in the bottom two or three places of teams wrongly punished by incorrect decisions. J.W-P dispatched it confidently and all of a sudden, the lad was on for his hat trick. That is something that would have been more likely from a free kick or another penalty to be fair, but all of a sudden this week, we have carried a goal threat from several positions throughout the team.

Chief among those providing the impetus has been Shane Long. His tireless closing down, running into space, tenacity in the tackle and chasing of lost causes has proven a thorn in Watford's and WBA's defences. Mane could and should have scored at least 3 or 4 goals in the last two matches, with the potential for netting 5 or 6 times had he taken the chances he had on a plate more often than not.

The bedrock for the attack and the protection of the defence was provided by some superb midfield performances over the two matches, especially from Davis, but honourable mentions to Clasie, and Romeu against Watford and subsequently from Wanyama and J.WP today.

When we lost against Palace playing a back three, there were dark mutterings about Koeman's lack of tactical nous, but these past two matches have seen it work like an inspired plan, partly maybe because Forster returning has given the defence a confidence boost and partly because having Bertrand covering Targett's back has shown us a side of him that we didn't know existed, although Koeman must have realised the potential from the training ground. Cedric acquitted himself well again on the other flank, but didn't have the forward movement or tracking back protection in front of him that was employed on our left flank. The play was unbalanced towards the left side of the pitch for much of the game, leaving acres of space on the right flank which could have been exploited better. But it wasn't down to us to make those adjustments tactically, as we were comfortably in the lead and having most of the play confined to half of the pitch width probably suited us more than it suited them.

Once again, the defence was rock solid pretty well throughout the game, with Forster virtually a spectator. All three were solid, with V.V-D impressing more with each game with his calmness and great ability in the air.

It was a shame that Ricky didn't get any match time, but that was some tribute that our fans gave him. He could be in no doubt about the affection that we have for him and his contribution towards our climb up the divisions and our re-establishment as PL side.

The matches against United, Arsenal and West Ham look far less daunting prospects now than they did a week ago. United will be back to thinking that they have a difficult fixture ahead of them, whereas Arsenal will have too recent memories of their last match against us, wondering whether we are back to the battling ways that destroyed them.

Another great performance.

I have to say I wasn't expecting us to play the same system as we did against Watford but it worked a treat. Westbrom where fecking awful I expected a tough game it wasn't at all Lambert must be really bad if he can't get a run out ahead of Westbrom's truly awful forwards.

Wasn't sure about the double change in midfield before the game but you can't argue with the result so fair play Ronald.

JWP was decent today. Free kick was brilliant and if he could produce that on a regular basis he probably play more games. As for his outfield play I still think Clasie and Romeu offer more at the moment.

Long, Davis and Mane are a great combo upfront loads of pace and movement. I'm a fan of Pelle but right now I'm in no hurry to see him back in the starting 11

Shout out to Tadic two goals in two games not bad for a player I described as "scared to shoot" a couple of weeks ago :lol:

I bet our other three keepers are wondering why the defence has suddenly got mean as soon as Forster gets fit two games back in has hardly had to break a sweat.

Finally VVD was an absolute beast today one everything in the air on the ground.

Long proved beyond any reasonable doubt that premiership players can easily play twice a week with no problems. He ran his heart out on Wednesday, but he covered every blade again. Terrific display. I love that effort and it seems to have rubbed off on our midfield. The work rate and closing down has increased greatly and the results are obvious, more ball, more control, more chances and more points...

The club have no ambition and will not sign a decent player in January,

Ronald Koeman is a poor manager and we should get rid.

JWP cant score.

Tadic is pants.

Steve Davis doesn't provide assists.

It is a good day to be a Happy Clapper.

TBF Sog one swallow doesn't make a summer however what pleased me today was JWP passing he was actually probing and going forwards.

Something that was missing - loved his challenge on Fletcher.

Davis this week has been outstanding .

Koeman has found a formula and we have gone from just one Englishman to 4 and soon 5 that's not lost on me as desire and will is now higher I was low after Spurs at lack of fight no leaders.

We now show we want it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TBF Sog one swallow doesn't make a summer however what pleased me today was JWP passing he was actually probing and going forwards.

Something that was missing - loved his challenge on Fletcher.

Davis this week has been outstanding .

Koeman has found a formula and we have gone from just one Englishman to 4 and soon 5 that's not lost on me as desire and will is now higher I was low after Spurs at lack of fight no leaders.

We now show we want it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You are right, one swallow doesn't make a summer but we have had more than one swallow this season. We showed against Chelsea, Arsenal and recently Watford what we can do and did it again today. We haven't been as bad as many have said this season and have shown again what we are capable of. People should have more faith.

#Pat on the back klaxon#

I predicted 3-0 in the build up thread :)

Great performance again.

I'm inclined to give my MotM to Long again but JWP deserves it for the goals.

This evening I shall be mainly getting my entertainment from reading back over the meltdown threads from a week or so ago. Lol.

Another good game this evening is to count the number of "I'm glad I was proven wrong" posts :)

Just a shame Koeman didn't try this new system a month ago.

Limping ! Fletcher went off because of JWP's tackle no bottling there , also on the subject of their penalty JWP was in control of the ball and the WBA player made a move for it so I'm not sure how a pen could be given in those circumstances . Excellent team performance from everyone today my MOTM Davis

Targett was barged in the back in the area. It was a stonewall penalty. The ref gave it with no hesitation.

Great start from JWP, thought he had one of the best games in a Saint's shirt today and really deserved the plaudits today. Overall, a pretty comfortable win. I must say, I was quite surprised by the lack of threat from West Brom, I don't think they even managed a clear shot on target and a large part of that is due to our solid defense. 2 games, 5 goals and a clean sheet. Fantastic week after last Saturday's doom and gloom.

Here's my perspective of JWP's first goal for anyone who cares:

Terrific performance again following on from Wednesday. Was surprised to see Vic and JWP but it seems like we have two pairs who arr very good. JWP deserves plaudits, great game today, well taken FK and Pen. The back three were supreme today. This system works great and shows Ronald was able to make a fundamental change to get us out of the freefall. Cedric wss brilliant again today. Davis wss brilliant again his dawdling runs made some great openings. Like Shane he never gives up and really makes the team tick. Another assist. For me Long was MOTM though, his tireless running even when getting clattered was brilliant and why beig without the lumbering Pelle has been a blessing in disguise. Forgot Targett, not quite as goid as Wednesday but he is so suited to this position.

Delighted with the performance, i thought we played very well, just as we did against Watford. I am pleased to see players that i have criticised stepping up to the plate. Ward Prowse played very well as did Steve Davis and Big Vic. Defensively Van Djyk won everything. Long worked his nads off as did Mane. Lots of positives.

Two good pairs, IF Wanyama is up for it.

Wanyama or Romeu with Clasie or JWP. You wouldn't want Clasie and JWP together I wouldn't think. Reed probably next in line. Plenty of options anyway and it'd be great if JWP and Romeu add a few goals.

Vic certainly looked up for it today. Maybe Clasie and JWP together might be a bit weaker but that's why I said we had two good pairs, of course you can probably interchange but JWP's previous good game (yes i do mean that) was also with Vic in a similar role. Seems JWP and Romeu are adding goals as well now. The midfield is doing what everyone wanted, 4 out 5 goals from midfield this week, plus 2 assists. Now we need out strikers (Long excepted) to do their job, would be nice to see Sadio get on the scoresheet again, his finishing has become woeful, yet everything else he does is fantastic.

It was very much a case of where we left off after the Watford game, albeit West Brom provided a tiny bit more of a game. Lots of pressing, lots of clever movement, good shape and a good balance.

The tactical shape seems to work really well at the moment, it makes us very hard to break down and we have the numbers to flood the flanks when we need to, so we're very hard to get at. I must admit, I was a bit disappointed to see Victor straight back in the team today, but he was back to the Wanyama of old. As other's have said, if he keeps it simple, he is the most effective player of his position in the league.

Long has taken this prolonged run in the team with both hands, he is in terrific form right now. He's always offered an outlet, runs the channels and generally is a pest. Once he gets a run and his confidence increases, you can see the bit of quality he has to his game as well - some of his control and hold up play was excellent. Mane was ok...but does seem slightly off the boil at the moment.

Special mention for Cedric who I think was terrific. Seems a hell of a lot stronger then he was at the start, very tenacious in his winning of the ball and is now starting to provide a real quality outlet down the flank. Also a mention for Targett, who has come into his own these last few games, the position he's playing seems to work for him - and us as a team. He seems to have a bit more confidence to run and take players on, and his delivery isn't bad at all.

Overall, 2 massive wins which now paints this season in an entirely different colour. The Austin signing is just the cherry on top, the 2nd half of this season could be fun.

Targett was barged in the back in the area. It was a stonewall penalty. The ref gave it with no hesitation.

I'm certainly not complaining but from my view it seemed that Targett just swerved into the defender. There was a moment's thought before the whistle. On the whole I thought he had a reasonable game.

At least I can look forward to watching MOTD without having to cover my eyes this week.

I'm certainly not complaining but from my view it seemed that Targett just swerved into the defender. There was a moment's thought before the whistle. On the whole I thought he had a reasonable game.

At least I can look forward to watching MOTD without having to cover my eyes this week.

Wait till you see join Terry's equaliser!!!

Another great performance and really hope we can go on from here, although next three look very tough. Wanyama did a decent job today but I was disappointed he was the first name on the team sheet again. Very much hope we see Clasie and Romeu back together for the next game. They are technically better players and Wanyama really needs a rocket up him so he realises he can't get away with his regular bouts of 'can't be bothered today'. Solid mid table then, as we thought, but we could be so much more.

Not once this season have we put in a performance as bad as the last 3 PL visitors (Arsenal, Watford and WBA). Pretty much restricted them to zero chances as far as I can recall. Like being back in L1 just rolling over the opposition week in week out at home and been a joy to watch. I conveniently omit the Palace game of course.

Koeman on WBA win......

Very, Very pleased on how we played

it was comfortable. Never easy to score 3 against WBA

early goal made it easy

been a great week after the disappointment against palace

we were focused to make it right and 6 points, 2 home games, 2 cleans sheets is excellent

been very disappointed in the few games before wednesday, results were not good enough

9 points for the last 3 home league games and no goals conceded

we had to just work had through the tough period

we have changed the system, everyone looks comfortable and it restricts the opposition from scoring

WBA are a very defensive side, the early goal made them react as they would usually wait for their chance

Finally, JWP scored from a free kick. Very important goal in the game

we have competition all over the pitch, more so in midfield. Pelle on bench, tadic making an impact again

2-0 mad us for more comfortable

last 2 wins were important. we can now look forward and up the table

we have to fight every week. we are now looking forward to playing man united. we will go there confidently

very positive to get austin, i spoke about getting a new striker and he was our no.1 target. he will make us stronger

we have to see him physically. he has just returned from injury. he will be in training this week

we need to have competition. all our players know they cannot play always.

This has definitely been the week to shut up our moaning weirdos one way or another.

My favourite dinlow was the one adamant that Newcastle were going to finish above us who then decided to start theorising about how we would only win one more game this season sealing our relegation. This was ten days ago or so of course.

They'll be back, that's for sure.

Is it me or do these threads get less posts when we win......

No one wants to look like a Scrooge. And no one wants to read about what players did badly when we have won, so it's best to keep negative comments to yourself.

Maybe I can get the post count up for you.

Forster kicking looks a little suspect, not helped by poor pitch. Is he fully fit and if not, what a risk.

I wonder how Bertrand feels about playing in this centre back role. He is doing a great job, but will it effect his England position?

Great that we can rotate the centre midfield. Either we have lots of quality or no stand out players. Putting the hatred on here from some of of Wanyama to one side, what's the best combination.

Mane can't hit a barn door right now. It will come, but will that be before moaning fans start to get to him? Are we really going to to drop him or Long to play Austin?

Edited by Chez

Another great performance and really hope we can go on from here, although next three look very tough. Wanyama did a decent job today but I was disappointed he was the first name on the team sheet again. Very much hope we see Clasie and Romeu back together for the next game. They are technically better players and Wanyama really needs a rocket up him so he realises he can't get away with his regular bouts of 'can't be bothered today'. Solid mid table then, as we thought, but we could be so much more.

Although I share your opinion that Wanyama should not have started, it might well be that the thinking was that he was fresher than Clasie and Romeu to start the match and that we now had enough strength in midfield to provide some rotation after a mid-week match. Thankfully though, Steve Davis (and indeed Shane Long up front) are not only capable of playing two matches in three days, but able to do it to the same high degree of intensity which epitomises their competitive nature.

I'm sure that Wanyama knows how badly he let his team mates down by his stupidity in getting sent off and losing us that Norwich match, and having learnt his lesson, wanted the chance to make amends as soon as possible. Had he been left out, he might have sulked, but he acquitted himself well without a booking and normal service has been resumed. He must now accept that during his absence, Romeu took his chance to shine and that if he wants to be picked in future matches, (aside from injuries in midfield), it will be because he has turned in the level of performance that means he cannot be excluded from automatic selection.

I thought it was a soft penalty at the time, viewed from my place in line with penalty area, and TV seemed to confirm. I thought Targett leaned into the defender, quite cleverly, to get the pen.