Forster and Bertrand in the England Squad

Mattio

Sorry, just reads like a load of vague platitudes to me.

I've not made any age arguments apart from to suggest the "why don't you play xxx" tends to be about young players.

Being that you've no opened it to all players of any age it seems perplexing that you can't name anyone that would have been better than the "same old names". Who should have gone to Brazil instead of the same old names? Is Lallana a same old name then, or now, or wasn't then and is now or both or neither?

And as you are moaning about successive England managers, who are all these players that would have been so much better?

I'm not asking g for wonder kids, but you seem to think we have teams of unpicked players that could have got us into, say, semi finals of tournaments (or last time out into the group stages) but can't name a single one. Surely you are talking about Premier League players and they're all on TV every week so you must have some idea.

I'll give you, for free, the game changer Mark Noble. And Gabby Ablonglahor. Fresh, dynamic, pushing the boundaries stuff. Give me another twelve and we've got a squad for a friendly.

Steve Bruce

No I don't think that at all. I'm just saying that we'll never know because we've not had an England manager with the balls to drop players who clearly were not performing for England.

It's not about producing lists of names and saying 'oh he could have done so much better than X'.

One of the main reasons England has been a failure for the last 50 years is that we are ****ing shit at taking penalties.

Agreed but I'll take it a bit further that we are not mentally tough or confident enough, and that includes the manager making tough calls.

Agreed but I'll take it a bit further that we are not mentally tough or confident enough, and that includes the manager making tough calls.

Which is exactly what I've been saying all along - without a manager with the balls to drop players England will never improve. NO footballer should believe their spot in the England team is guaranteed. I'm mean we now have the England manager talking about wanting JOHN F*CKING TERRY back. This would be the same player that Sadio Mané made look very ordinary.

Ridiculous.

No I don't think that at all. I'm just saying that we'll never know because we've not had an England manager with the balls to drop players who clearly were not performing for England.

It's not about producing lists of names and saying 'oh he could have done so much better than X'.

But if we just drop players without replacing them then we'd end up with six or seven players on the pitch.

We've got people on this forum without the "balls" to suggest a single player that hasn't been picked that they think should be, so I don't think it's purely an issue for whoever the England manager is.

That's a little harsh on Welbeck, I always fancy him to cause some problems for defenders when he plays for England.

Oh, I quite like him to be fair. But he's a bang average player at international level - this generation's Darius Vassell.

Oh, I quite like him to be fair. But he's a bang average player at international level - this generation's Darius Vassell.

A quick Google reveals at only age 25 Welbeck has already scored nearly three times as many England goals as Vassell did in his career.

A quick Google reveals at only age 25 Welbeck has already scored nearly three times as many England goals as Vassell did in his career.

A quick maths check reveals that 14 goals is not "nearly three times as many" as 6 goals. You could just as well have said "over twice as many" which is closer to the truth.

I like Danny Wellbeck, he's good but he's England good. I have no idea whether he qualifies as one of the "same old faces" that the manager hasn't "got the balls" to drop though or whether he is a player that the manager hasn't "got the balls" to play. Do you know?

A quick maths check reveals that 14 goals is not "nearly three times as many" as 6 goals. You could just as well have said "over twice as many" which is closer to the truth.

I like Danny Wellbeck, he's good but he's England good. I have no idea whether he qualifies as one of the "same old faces" that the manager hasn't "got the balls" to drop though or whether he is a player that the manager hasn't "got the balls" to play. Do you know?

Odd thing to say though. This generation's Darius Vassell.