Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

Worth remembering it's split in two sections, so for example Man City can't be drawn against Dundalk.

Champions Route:

Seeded - Viktoria Plzen, RB Salzburg, Celtic, APOEL, Legia Warsaw

Unseeded - Dinamo Zagreb, Ludogorets, Copenhagen, Hapoel Be'er-Sheva, Dundalk

League Route:

Seeded - Man City, Porto, Villarreal, Ajax, Mönchengladbach

Unseeded - Roma, Young Boys, Monaco, Steaua Bucharest, Rostov

Interesting by using this method it seems to ensure that some of the bigger names will drop into the Europa league.

Monchengladbach would be good for those half and half scarf collectors amongst us, Hapoel Be'er-Sheva also top notch for the half time falafel.

I like the look of Villarreal as a trip.

Interesting by using this method it seems to ensure that some of the bigger names will drop into the Europa league.

Monchengladbach would be good for those half and half scarf collectors amongst us, Hapoel Be'er-Sheva also top notch for the half time falafel.

I like the look of Villarreal as a trip.

We're all hoping for Plzen, can't wait for a trip around the brewery. Ludogorets would be interesting: Razgrad is about the size of Romsey and the top attraction, an archeological reserve, has a factory built in the middle of it.

I'd take a trip back to Bucharest as it would be interesting to see how much it's changed in the last 10 years, plus I didn't see enough of the city last time with the alternative attractions on offer.

Teams higher than us:

AZ Alkmaar Ned 43.612 (NOT AT RISK winning away in PAS Giannia who now need 3)

Racing Genk ** Bel 36.000 (AT RISK not Kicked off - narrow 1-0 lead against Cork)

Lille OSC Fra 29.549 (AT RISK Losing in Azerbaijan to Qabala but only need 1 goal)

AS Saint-Étienne Fra 26.049 (AT RISK 0-0 v AEK Athens after 0-0 1st Leg - I'm watching this and AEK look better)

AA Gent Bel 25.000 (NOT AT RISK after 5-0 1st leg win)

FK Krasnodar Rus 24.216 (ALREADY THROUGH 7-1 agg)

Rapid Wien Aut 23.520 (AT RISK Not kicked off but 0-0 after 1st leg vs Topedo Zhodino but at home)

Slovan Liberec Cze 22.085 (ALREADY THROUGH on tuesday)

NK Maribor ** Slo 21.625 (AT RISK 1-1 vs Aberdeen who need an away goal)

Maccabi Tel-Aviv * Isr 20.225 (NOT AT RISK 3-1 from 1st leg and already 1 up agains Tagu Jiu)

Spartak Moscow Rus 19.216 (OUT! After losing 0-1 to AEK Larnica of Cyprus - That is one long trip gone)

Austria Wien ** Aut 19.020 (AT RISK were heading out till 88th min goal v Trvana looks like ET 0-1 1st Leg 0-1 2nd Leg)

AZ Alkmaar (Currently 3-1 up on Aggregate after 45 minutes)

Racing Genk (Currently 1-0 up after the 1st leg against Cork)

Lille OSC (Currently 2-1 down with 12 minutes left)

AS Saint-Étienne (Currently 1-0 up after 23 minutes of 2nd leg)

AA Gent (0-0 after 1st leg)

FK Krasnodar (Won 6-1 on aggregate)

Rapid Wien (0-0 after 1st leg)

Slovan Liberec (Won last night)

NK Maribor (1-1 after 1st leg)

Maccabi Tel-Aviv (Currently 4-1 up on aggregate)

Spartak Moscow (Lost 2-1 to Larnaca)

Austria Wien (Currently in extra time)

Zaglebie Lubin (2-2 on aggregate but currently losing on away goals rule)

If we want to be looking at going into a higher seeding pot than pot 4 we need these teams to lose

Duplicate with adysaint..... great minds think alike! :)

Lille OUT after losing to Qabala - trip to Azerbaijan could be on.

St Eitienne scored while I was typing and AEK Athens now need 2.

Genk score in Cork who now need 3

Lubin I'm not sure would keep their coeff cos they basicaly stole Partizan Belgrades by knocking them out. I think its reset for Play off

but I'm happy to be corrected - they are 1-1 and looking out to SonderskE (wonder why that E is capital on the end?)

Lille OUT after losing to Qabala - trip to Azerbaijan could be on.

St Eitienne scored while I was typing and AEK Athens now need 2.

Genk score in Cork who now need 3

Lubin I'm not sure would keep their coeff cos they basicaly stole Partizan Belgrades by knocking them out. I think its reset for Play off

but I'm happy to be corrected - they are 1-1 and looking out to SonderskE (wonder why that E is capital on the end?)

The E stands for Elitesport. Sonderjysk means South Jutland in Danish

Incidentally anyone managed to find a decent score tracker which has both on the night AND aggregate score showing on the multi-match screen? There's a decided dearth of easy-access info out there, too many only with today's score or needing to click into the document to see who won on aggregate.

Incidentally anyone managed to find a decent score tracker which has both on the night AND aggregate score showing on the multi-match screen? There's a decided dearth of easy-access info out there, too many only with today's score or needing to click into the document to see who won on aggregate.

The BBC and the Uefa websites are poor in this respect.

The best one I find is using the sky sports score centre app on my phone

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Worth remembering it's split in two sections, so for example Man City can't be drawn against Dundalk.

Champions Route:

Seeded - Viktoria Plzen, RB Salzburg, Celtic, APOEL, Legia Warsaw

Unseeded - Dinamo Zagreb, Ludogorets, Copenhagen, Hapoel Be'er-Sheva, Dundalk

League Route:

Seeded - Man City, Porto, Villarreal, Ajax, Mönchengladbach

Unseeded - Roma, Young Boys, Monaco, Steaua Bucharest, Rostov

We need Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Rostov and Dundalk to lose in the CL Play Off matches, nothing else makes any difference to us as every other team in the competition outranks us anyway. Any of those three get into the CL Group Stages and we'll need one more EL Play Off Round qualifying upset to offset it.

Aberdeen out, to a remarkably daft own goal.

They'd have been out on away goals even if they hadn't conceded it though. I'm sitting here listening to Domzale lose in (probably) Slovenian with the West Ham game minimised, the BBC videprinter tab, Facebook and the Europa League Wikipedia page open. :)

Here are the teams in the Europa League Play Off Round

SEEDED TEAMS

Ukraine Shakhtar Donetsk CC: 81.976

Greece Olympiacos CC: 70.940

Belgium Anderlecht CC: 54.000

Netherlands AZ CC: 43.612

Turkey Fenerbahçe CC: 40.920

Czech Republic Sparta Prague CC: 40.585

Greece PAOK CC: 37.440

Belgium Genk CC: 36.000

Belarus BATE Borisov CC: 34.000

Belgium Gent CC: 25.000

France Saint-Étienne CC: 26.049

Russia Krasnodar CC: 24.216

Austria Rapid Vienna 23.520

Czech Republic Slovan Liberec CC: 22.085

Slovenia Maribor CC: 21.625

Israel Maccabi Tel Aviv CC: 20.225

Austria Austria Wien CC: 19.020

********SAINTS' COEFFICIENT 16.756**********

There are 12 teams in each pot, so 12 teams in Pot 4. For Saints to be seeded in Pot 3 there therefore need to be 12 teams in the Group Stages with a lower coefficient than Saints:

There are 3 teams directly qualifying into the EL Group Stages alongside Saints which have lower coefficients than Saints already: OGC Nice, Zorya Luhansk and Konyaspor.

Assuming the 3 teams in the CL qualifiers with lower coefficients also lose in the CL Play Off Round - (Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Rostov and Dundalk), we need 6 teams below this line to win their EL qualifiers to confirm Saints are in Pot 3 for the Group Stages -

However as 5 of these teams are seeded there are already another 5 teams definitely in the Group stages with a worse coefficient than Saints). This means we only need one upset with an unseeded team beating a seed who is ranked above us for Saints to be in Pot 3 (provided none of the 3 CL teams also manages an upset)

England West Ham United CC: 16.256

Greece Panathinaikos CC: 14.940

Denmark Midtjylland CC: 14.720

Italy Sassuolo CC: 14.087

Azerbaijan Qarabağ CC: 13.475

-------UNSEEDED TEAMS

Norway Rosenborg CC: 12.850

Kazakhstan Astana CC: 12.575

Romania Astra Giurgiu CC: 11.076

Croatia Hajduk Split CC: 10.755

Portugal Arouca CC: 10.616

Switzerland Grasshopper CC: 9.755

Cyprus AEK Larnaca CC: 9.435

Serbia Vojvodina CC: 7.925

Turkey İstanbul Başakşehir CC: 7.920

Denmark Brøndby CC: 7.220

Serbia Red Star Belgrade CC: 7.175

Turkey Osmanlıspor CC: 6.920

Czech Rep Slavia Prague 6.585

Sweden IFK Göteborg CC: 6.475

Georgia (country) Dinamo Tbilisi CC: 5.875

Croatia Lokomotiva CC: 5.775

Slovakia Trenčín CC: 5.400

Azerbaijan Gabala CC: 5.225

Israel Beitar Jerusalem CC: 4.225

Denmark SønderjyskE CC: 3.720

Republic of Macedonia Shkëndija CC: 2.950

Albania Partizani Tirana CC: 1.575

Edited by The9

Updated the map of all the teams. It's thinned out a bit!

If teams change stadium for example, for capacity reasons then I'll update it. There are a few examples, like Dundalk playing in Dublin and Zorya Luhansk playing in a different city other than a warzone.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15iJR0WBjDR4BeEx7PXTsHLnjQIA&usp=sharing

You probably know this, but Zorya Luhansk are currently playing here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavutych-Arena though it only has a capacity of 12,000 so they might choose to play somewhere else for the Europa League games.

Awesome stuff with the map (plus Lublin are out so I've been robbed of a pedant point cos the marker was in the wrong place - according to my pilot friend. ;) ).

Edited by The9

We're all hoping for Plzen, can't wait for a trip around the brewery. Ludogorets would be interesting: Razgrad is about the size of Romsey and the top attraction, an archeological reserve, has a factory built in the middle of it.

I'd take a trip back to Bucharest as it would be interesting to see how much it's changed in the last 10 years, plus I didn't see enough of the city last time with the alternative attractions on offer.

Yes mate Plzen and Razgrad would be good, the latter especially in remote Bulgarian countryside has good adventure potential.

I'm pleased Spartak Moscow are out, avoids the requirement to have a scrap with a Russian wearing MMA gloves , badly fitting shorts and a GoPro camera.

Still potentially 3 Israeli teams going into Europa group stages , I've heard good things about Tel Aviv.

Shame Cork and Aberdeen are both out.

Sassulo would be good.

To summarise my post above.

There are a maximum of 3 Champions League Play Off Round Teams with lower coefficients than Saints who can be in the Group Stages (they will all be playing teams with higher coefficients, and we need them to lose).

There are also 5 matches in the Europa League Play Off Round that are guaranteed to produce a winner with a lower coefficient than Saints (because there are 5 seeds with lower coefficient than Saints and all the unseeded sides have a lower coefficient too, and all the seeded teams will play an unseeded team).

So 5 of the 12 Pot 4 teams are already guaranteed, we need the 3 lowest seeded CL teams to lose their Play Off games for another 3 to make 8, and then another 4 unseeded teams to beat a seed in the EL Play-Off Round to get us into Pot 3.

Not quite because you are forgetting about Nice, Zorya & Konyaspor who have a lower coefficient than us and have already qualified to the Group Stage, so there are 8 confirmed teams below us not 5.

There will be 17 ties in the Europa playoff featuring clubs with higher coefficients than us as well as 3 Champions League playoffs featuring clubs with lower coefficients.

Of these 20 ties we need 4 to go our way in order to get into Pot 3 and 16 to get into Pot 2.

To summarise my post above.

There are a maximum of 3 Champions League Play Off Round Teams with lower coefficients than Saints who can be in the Group Stages (they will all be playing teams with higher coefficients, and we need them to lose).

There are also 5 matches in the Europa League Play Off Round that are guaranteed to produce a winner with a lower coefficient than Saints (because there are 5 seeds with lower coefficient than Saints and all the unseeded sides have a lower coefficient too, and all the seeded teams will play an unseeded team).

So 5 of the 12 Pot 4 teams are already guaranteed, we need the 3 lowest seeded CL teams to lose their Play Off games for another 3 to make 8, and then another 4 unseeded teams to beat a seed in the EL Play-Off Round to get us into Pot 3.

Just browsing with an interest on your thoughts of the Europa League.

Worth noting in your calculations that you've also forgotten about Nice, Zorya Luhansk and Konyaspor who are already in the group stages with a lower co-efficient which account for 3 of the 12 you need.

Plus the 3 Champions League, plus the 5 Europa guaranteed.

I reckon you only need one team to cause an upset to go in to the 3rd pot.

Not quite because you are forgetting about Nice, Zorya & Konyaspor who have a lower coefficient than us and have already qualified to the Group Stage, so there are 8 confirmed teams below us not 5.

There will be 17 ties in the Europa playoff featuring clubs with higher coefficients than us as well as 3 Champions League playoffs featuring clubs with lower coefficients.

Of these 20 ties we need 4 to go our way in order to get into Pot 3 and 16 to get into Pot 2.

Funnily enough I was editing it as you posted it. We only need 1 upset in the EL POR as long as there aren't any upsets from the 3 lowest seeds in the CL POR.

Just browsing with an interest on your thoughts of the Europa League.

Worth noting in your calculations that you've also forgotten about Nice, Zorya Luhansk and Konyaspor who are already in the group stages with a lower co-efficient which account for 3 of the 12 you need.

Plus the 3 Champions League, plus the 5 Europa guaranteed.

I reckon you only need one team to cause an upset to go in to the 3rd pot.

You are correct, I'd already edited though. ;)

Someone beat Midgetland FFS.

Please!

We're pretty unlikely to get them as their coefficient is only 2 different from ours (and assuming there's no-one in the CL or of the teams going directly to Group Stages with a ranking between us) there are only 3 teams between our rankings even with 22 sides who aren't making the Group stages included - so we'll probably be in the same pot and therefore unable to draw them even if they do get through.

Yes mate Plzen and Razgrad would be good, the latter especially in remote Bulgarian countryside has good adventure potential.

I'm pleased Spartak Moscow are out, avoids the requirement to have a scrap with a Russian wearing MMA gloves , badly fitting shorts and a GoPro camera.

Still potentially 3 Israeli teams going into Europa group stages , I've heard good things about Tel Aviv.

Shame Cork and Aberdeen are both out.

Sassulo would be good.

Id quite like a trip to Israel tbf !

I would love it if West Ham got Astana

It does seem a bit ridiculous that Kazakhstan are part of UEFA. I'm sure someone will have more info on why it's a good idea, but from the little reading I have done on it, it sounds like countries can apply to whichever federation they like. Israel is more political (and nowhere near as far), but it sounds like Kazakhstan just wanted to be in UEFA.

If we end up in different pots, it'll be written in the stars that we get Nice

I'd be more than happy with that. Lovely place.

The playoff round draw has been pre-grouped again, West Ham have got a REALLY tough set of potential opponents!

Group 1:

Seeded - Genk, Olympiakos, BATE Borisov, Midtjylland, Rapid Vienna

Unseeded - Astana, Osmanlispor, Arouca, Lokomotiva Zagreb, Trencin

Group 2:

Seeded - AZ Alkmaar, PAOK Salonika, Slovan Liberec, Austria Vienna, Saint-Etienne

Unseeded - AEK Larnaca, Rosenborg, Dinamo Tblisi, Vojvodina Novi Sad, Beitar Jerusalem

Group 3:

Seeded - Anderlecht, West Ham, Krasnodar, Maribor, Fenerbahce, Panathinaikos

Unseeded - Qabala, Slavia Prague, Brondby, Grasshoppers Zurich, Astra Giurgiu, Partizani Tirana

Group 4:

Seeded - Shakhtar Donetsk, Sparta Prague, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Gent, Sassuolo, Qarabag

Unseeded - Shkendija, Istanbul Basaksehir, IFK Gothenburg, Red Star Belgrade, SonderjyskE, Hajduk Split

I'd be more than happy with that. Lovely place.

The playoff round draw has been pre-grouped again, West Ham have got a REALLY tough set of potential opponents!

Group 1:

Seeded - Genk, Olympiakos, BATE Borisov, Midtjylland, Rapid Vienna

Unseeded - Astana, Osmanlispor, Arouca, Lokomotiva Zagreb, Trencin

Group 2:

Seeded - AZ Alkmaar, PAOK Salonika, Slovan Liberec, Austria Vienna, Saint-Etienne

Unseeded - AEK Larnaca, Rosenborg, Dinamo Tblisi, Vojvodina Novi Sad, Beitar Jerusalem

Group 3:

Seeded - Anderlecht, West Ham, Krasnodar, Maribor, Fenerbahce, Panathinaikos

Unseeded - Qabala, Slavia Prague, Brondby, Grasshoppers Zurich, Astra Giurgiu, Partizani Tirana

Group 4:

Seeded - Shakhtar Donetsk, Sparta Prague, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Gent, Sassuolo, Qarabag

Unseeded - Shkendija, Istanbul Basaksehir, IFK Gothenburg, Red Star Belgrade, SonderjyskE, Hajduk Split

Are these the groups they would go into if they qualify or something else? Assume we don't know which one we're going in yet, but if we have to avoid West Ham then we'd be lucky avoiding Fenerbahce.

Are these the groups they would go into if they qualify or something else? Assume we don't know which one we're going in yet, but if we have to avoid West Ham then we'd be lucky avoiding Fenerbahce.

No, it's a knockout draw, but to save time, teams are pre-divided into groups of relatively equal weighting. Then they draw the two 10-team "groups" into their match pairs at the same time (team 1 v team 9, for example), and then the two 12-team groups into their pairs.

We had the same last year, when it came to the playoff round there were only 6 teams we could face instead of the 22 unseeded teams we thought we might be faced with.

I think it's a combination of time and not having a bowl big enough to fit 22 of their oversize balls - they don't just have numbered balls like we do for the FA Cup, they put slips of paper with the team name inside the ball and spend ****ing ages unscrewing the damn thing to reveal the team.

Good God everyone in Group 1 is going to be wanting to play Arouca. When Zagreb is one of your best 3 choices you've not got a good set of possible opponents. Trencin will be ok too. Though I suspect BATE won't mind some of the eastern options.

I should suggest Kinder egg balls to UEFA, they're way quicker, you can just squeeze them.

Also, beats me why they make such a big deal of the unscrewing as if it's a security feature or something, it's not like the things have any kind of seal on them for integrity, and for all you can see from tv they could have printed the name on the outside of the ball if they wanted to cheat it. Plus they've just arbitrarily placed a load of teams in pre-groups already!

I would love it if West Ham got Astana

They can't now, but they can still get Astra Giurgiu, who they lost to last season in 3QR when we were in Arnhem, or Qabala of Azerbaijan which is a fair old trek in its own right. They also could have the pleasure of a trip to Albania to play Tirana. I'll be annoyed if they knock out Slavia Prague, Grasshoppers or Brondby, all of which are hoped-for opponents of mine, to different degrees.

Playoff Round Draw

Teams not in bold we require at least 1 upset to make pot 3.

Astana vs BATE

Larnaca vs Slovan Liberec

Arouca vs Olympiacos

Dinamo Tbilisi vs PAOK

Midtjylland vs Osmanlıspor

Austria Vienna vs Rosenborg

Beitar Jeruselum vs Saint Etienne

Lokomotov Zagreb vs Genk

Trencin vs Rapid Vienna

Vojvodina vs AZ Alkmaar

Maribor vs Qabala

Gent vs Shkendija

Slavia Prague vs Anderlecht

Istanbul vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Sonderjyske vs Sparta Prague

Astra vs West Ham United

Fenerbahce vs Grashopper

Sassuolo vs Red Star Belgrade

Brondby vs Panathinaikos

Gotenhburg vs Qarabag

Krasnodar vs Partizanai

Maccabi Tel-Aviv vs Hajduk Split

Maccabi Tel-Aviv vs Hajduk Split has the potential. Split won there 3rd round fixture 6-1 on agg

Edited by Saint Scott