Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

:-) depends what you need the car for.. I'm not really practical enough but bangernomics works for many.. Might do Man U away, see various friends upt' north, do a bit of flyfishing and hit Canal Street to flirt with the butches! At least with the group stages planning is easier and you can choose as I'll probably only be able to afford 1.

For those interested in the draw for the 3rd round, it will take place at 12noon and will be streamed live on the UEFA website.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2390237.html

West Ham are in group 5 and will play one of the following non seeded teams.....

Unseeded

7: Grasshoppers (SUI) 9.755 or KR Reykjavík (ISL)

8: Videoton (HUN) 8.725 or Čukarički (SRB)

9: Shakhtyor Soligorsk (BLR) 7.500 or Domžale (SVN)

10: IFK Göteborg (SWE) 6.475 or Piast Gliwice (POL)

11: Admira Wacker Mödling (AUT) 6.020 or Käpäz (AZE)

12: Viitorul Constanţa (ROU) 5.076

West Ham have been drawn against a Slovenian team I've never heard if or a Belarusian team I've never heard of. they are due to play the first leg at home which would be their first game at the Olympic Stadium. Trying to get it moved to 2nd leg because they've got an athletics event there the week before. Seems more like they're concerned the first game there will be in front of a sparse crowd which would be somewhat embarrassing. Second leg might at least draw a few extra people in. Perhaps I'm just being cynical though.

If I was UEFA I'd tell them to bugger off.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36802169

West Ham have been drawn against a Slovenian team I've never heard if or a Belarusian team I've never heard of. they are due to play the first leg at home which would be their first game at the Olympic Stadium. Trying to get it moved to 2nd leg because they've got an athletics event there the week before. Seems more like they're concerned the first game there will be in front of a sparse crowd which would be somewhat embarrassing. Second leg might at least draw a few extra people in. Perhaps I'm just being cynical though.

If I was UEFA I'd tell them to bugger off.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36802169

It's because it takes a week to turn it from an athletics stadium to a football stadium.

My dream of going to Kazakhstan is in trouble after Kairat were held 1-1 to Macabi Tel Aviv in the 1st leg. Yossi Benoyun with

an injury time equalizer.

Trust P****y scum to ruin your day.

Astana can still drop in from CL as long as they see off Zalgaris Vilnius in the 2nd leg. They will likely play Celtic in CLQ3.

As a reminder:

Draw date 26th August

Match dates:

15th September

29th September

20th October

3rd November

24th November

8th December

Given this, I take it we can assume that the following fixtures will be moved, even though they haven't on the official site?

SAT 1 OCT Leicester (A)

SAT 22 OCT Man City (A)

SAT 5 NOV Hull City (A)

SAT 26 NOV Everton (H)

SAT 10 DEC Middlesbrough (H)

Given this, I take it we can assume that the following fixtures will be moved, even though they haven't on the official site?

SAT 1 OCT Leicester (A)

SAT 22 OCT Man City (A)

SAT 5 NOV Hull City (A)

SAT 26 NOV Everton (H)

SAT 10 DEC Middlesbrough (H)

Saints did make this clear when TV games were announced, but obviously not got around to updating fixture list yet

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160707-southampton-tv-selections-august-september-3172193.aspx

Cheers! I thought I'd read it somewhere, so was rather surprised to see the fixture list as it was!

They've marked them with * on the printed fixture lists too. The reason they haven't announced the other games as moved is because they haven't announced tv matches after September and they don't want to have to announce moving any of them again.

Reminder of this with the final 2nd qualifying round happening tonight.

And we want the following teams to lose, because they have a higher co-efficient than us:

Genk currently 2-2 on aggeragate

Maribor won on away goals

Maccabi Tel Aviv won 3-2

Austria Wien won 5-1

Partizan currently 0-0 on aggeragate

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Edited by marc_saint

Maccabi Tel Aviv through 2-1 watched it on the stream. Kairat (who had Arshavin and Tymochuk playing for them) looked to have got to ET

but MTA captain crashed one in from edge of the box in 86th minute.

Funny Stadium that one in Tel Aviv, think Huddesfield but nowt behind the goals. Wouldn't mind going to Israel.

Maccabi Tel Aviv through 2-1 watched it on the stream. Kairat (who had Arshavin and Tymochuk playing for them) looked to have got to ET

but MTA captain crashed one in from edge of the box in 86th minute.

Funny Stadium that one in Tel Aviv, think Huddesfield but nowt behind the goals. Wouldn't mind going to Israel.

I've always fancied going to Isreal too. Security getting in and out the country can be a nightmare though lol

Meanwhile, Hearts are currently losing at home to a team from Malta. Hibs lost on penalties so they're out, leaving Aberdeen the only Scottish side left.

The last Welsh side, Connah's Quay Nomads, also lost, as did Northern Irish side Cliftonville.

Cork City won against Hacken from Sweden

Dundalk from the Republic of Ireland are in the 3rd qualifying Round of the Champions League, so if they lose, they drop in to the Europa League play-off round (likely since they play BATE Borisov)

Full Third Qual round fixtures (predictions on likely teams to progress in bold):

Lokomotiva Zagreb (CRO) v Vorskla Poltava (UKR)

Saint-Étienne (FRA) v AEK Athens (GRE)

AEK Larnaca (CYP) v Spartak Moskva (RUS)

Pandurii Târgu Jiu (ROU) v Maccabi Tel-Aviv (ISR)

Vojvodina (SRB) v Dinamo Minsk (BLR)

Zagłebie Lubin (POL) v SønderjyskE (DEN)

Austria Wien (AUT) v Spartak Trnava (SVK)

Hertha Berlin (GER) v Brøndby (DEN)

West Ham United (ENG) v Domžale (SVN)

Luzern (SUI) v Sassuolo (ITA)

AIK Solna (SWE) v Panathinaikos (GRE)

İstanbul Başakşehir (TUR) v Rijeka (CRO)

Videoton (HUN) v Midtjylland (DEN)

Slavia Praha (CZE) v Rio Ave (POR)

Osmanlıspor* (TUR) v Nõmme Kalju (EST)

Heracles (NED) v Arouca (POR)

IFK Göteborg (SWE) v HJK Helsinki (FIN)

Birkirkara (MLT) v Krasnodar (RUS)

Aberdeen (SCO) v Maribor (SVN)

Torpedo-Belaz Zhodino (BLR) v Rapid Wien (AUT)

Admira Wacker Mödling (AUT) v Slovan Liberec (CZE)

AZ Alkmaar (NED) v Giannina (GRE)

Lille (FRA) v Qäbälä (AZE)

Genk (BEL) v Cork City (IRL)

Gent (BEL) v Viitorul Constanţa (ROU)

Jelgava (LVA) v Beitar Jerusalem (ISR)

Oleksandriya (UKR) v Hajduk Split (CRO)

Shkëndija (MKD) v Mladá Boleslav (CZE)

Grasshoppers (SUI) v Apollon Limassol (CYP)

~Osmanlispor currently under investigation for irregularities so may not progress further

These are the teams with a higher co-efficient than us, and therefore the teams who we want to lose

Maccabi Tel Aviv

Genk

Maribora

Austria Wien

AZ

Lille

Saint-Étienne

Gent

Krasnodar

Rapid Wien

Slovan Liberec

Spartak Moscow

Also, it's now at the stage of the Champions League where the losing teams drop into the Europa League, so ideally, the teams with the higher co-efficients win and the teams with lower co-efficients drop down. Unfortunately, there are only 11 teams left in the Champions League who have a lower co-efficient than Saints.

I've created a map with all the possible teams we could face. I've split them up at the stage at which they enter the competition so you can choose if you want to see the Champions League teams, or if you just want to only see the teams that are so far confirmed to be in the group stages with us.

Also, some of the teams play at different stadiums than their home venues (and some in different cities), and some play at different stadiums in different rounds (for instance, Lille are playing at a smaller stadium than their normal home stadium in the 3rd qualifying Round, and there's a stadium in Switzerland which changed because of a Bruce Springsteen concert). I don't know either what the stadium regulations are for the group stages, so some teams may change stadiums if they make it that far. Issues like that will probably become clear nearer the time.

Hopefully it is useful guide for people who are already looking for potential destinations and ideal teams they want us to face. And if there are any errors then let me know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15iJR0WBjDR4BeEx7PXTsHLnjQIA&usp=sharing

I've always fancied going to Isreal too. Security getting in and out the country can be a nightmare though lol

I'll give you a tip there mate. As you approach passport control, if you raise a hand, smile and shout "allahu akbar" they'll chuckle and let you straight through.

Just over 400 quid for a return flight to Astana.

When I checked during last year's qualifiers, it took 18 hours via Moscow to get there and a similar time back with the connections, would have necessitated me leaving on Wednesday morning for a 6pm Thursday kick off in Astana, and not getting back until Saturday lunchtime.

Speaking of 6pm kick offs, ugh, but we'd better get used to them, all group stage matches are either 6pm or 8pm, though I can't remember from my limited Channel 5 and BT Sport Europe watching whether that's local time or 6/8 CET/CEST. Also not sure if it's dictated by UEFA which of the times you can have. I think Liverpool v Man U last season got shifted to 8pm (GMT so that probably answers my other question) at the clubs' request.

When I checked during last year's qualifiers, it took 18 hours via Moscow to get there and a similar time back with the connections, would have necessitated me leaving on Wednesday morning for a 6pm Thursday kick off in Astana, and not getting back until Saturday lunchtime.

Maybe that was why it so cheap. Think my return flight was about an hour after I landed. Whoops. Not used to this foreign travel stuff. I went to Chandlers Ford once and thought that was quite far enough for me.

I've created a map with all the possible teams we could face. I've split them up at the stage at which they enter the competition so you can choose if you want to see the Champions League teams, or if you just want to only see the teams that are so far confirmed to be in the group stages with us.

Also, some of the teams play at different stadiums than their home venues (and some in different cities), and some play at different stadiums in different rounds (for instance, Lille are playing at a smaller stadium than their normal home stadium in the 3rd qualifying Round, and there's a stadium in Switzerland which changed because of a Bruce Springsteen concert). I don't know either what the stadium regulations are for the group stages, so some teams may change stadiums if they make it that far. Issues like that will probably become clear nearer the time.

Hopefully it is useful guide for people who are already looking for potential destinations and ideal teams they want us to face. And if there are any errors then let me know.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15iJR0WBjDR4BeEx7PXTsHLnjQIA&usp=sharing

Good work that!

That's a great piece of work and much appreciated! I love maps anyway, and how great a data layer is that?!

I thought maybe of jumping in the car and getting the ferry for the low countries and northern France, but seeing the queues at Dover maybe not. Anybody got a yacht, I've an Incompetent Crew and radio ticket?.. There's no point in speculating (even though it's fun!), but Italy or Spain would be great. Ideally Roma dropping out of the Champions, but a few days round the museums of Florence or the food in Bilbao.. or...exciting, isn't it? Still, at least we've got a choice of three this time as I think I'd give £400 to Astana a miss.

That's a great piece of work and much appreciated! I love maps anyway, and how great a data layer is that?!

I thought maybe of jumping in the car and getting the ferry for the low countries and northern France, but seeing the queues at Dover maybe not. Anybody got a yacht, I've an Incompetent Crew and radio ticket?.. There's no point in speculating (even though it's fun!), but Italy or Spain would be great. Ideally Roma dropping out of the Champions, but a few days round the museums of Florence or the food in Bilbao.. or...exciting, isn't it? Still, at least we've got a choice of three this time as I think I'd give £400 to Astana a miss.

For Holland the Stena Line via Harwich is a good route. For France there are plenty of alternatives.

According to this we're only 3 upsets (in our favour) from being in Pot 3 - currently in Pot 4 but that's assuming all the top seeds win all the matches in both Champions League qualifiers (good for us) and Europa League qualifiers (bad for us).

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2016.html

Pot 1                          coef.              Pot 2                          coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
Schalke 04               Ger  96.035              Sparta Praha @4          Cze  40.585
Zenit St. Petersburg     Rus  93.216              PAOK Thessaloniki @3     Gre  37.440
Manchester United        Eng  82.256              Steaua Bucuresti @3      Rom  36.576
Athletic Bilbao          Esp  75.142              AS Monaco @3             Fra  36.549
Internazionale           Ita  58.087              Racing Genk **           Bel  36.000
Fiorentina               Ita  57.087              BATE Borisov @4          Bls  34.000
Anderlecht @4            Bel  54.000              Lille OSC *3             Fra  29.549
AZ Alkmaar *3            Ned  43.612              Legia Warsaw @4          Pol  28.000
Sporting Braga           Por  43.116              Standard Liège           Bel  27.500
Borussia Mönchengladb @4 Ger  42.035              AS Saint-Étienne *3      Fra  26.049
AS Roma @4               Ita  41.587              Dinamo Zagreb @4         Cro  25.775
Fenerbahçe @4            Tur  40.920              Ludogorets Razgrad @4    Bul  25.625

Pot 3                          coef.              Pot 4                          coef.
------------------------ --- ----------------     ------------------------ --- ----------------
AA Gent *3               Bel  25.000              FSV Mainz 05             Ger  18.035
Young Boys @3            Sui  24.755              FC Zürich                Sui  17.755
FC København @4          Den  24.720              [b]Southampton FC           Eng  16.756[/b]
FK Krasnodar *3          Rus  24.216              West Ham United *3       Eng  16.256
Rapid Wien *3            Aut  23.520              Hertha BSC *3            Ger  16.035
Slovan Liberec *3        Cze  22.085              Panathinaikos *3         Gre  14.940
NK Maribor **            Slo  21.625              FC Midtjylland *         Den  14.720
Celta de Vigo            Esp  21.142              NK Rijeka *3             Cro  14.275
Maccabi Tel-Aviv *       Isr  20.225              Sassuolo *3              Ita  14.087
Spartak Moscow *3        Rus  19.216              OGC Nice                 Fra  12.049
Feyenoord                Ned  19.112              Zorya Luhansk            Ukr  11.976
Austria Wien **          Aut  19.020              Konyaspor                Tur   6.920

You'll note there are lots of teams in these lists who are currently only in the EL or CL 3QR (*3 teams mostly, with a few remaining ** EL 2nd QR sides and a couple of * EL 1st QR like Midtjylland and Maccabi Tel-Aviv) or due to enter in the PO Round (the @4 teams).

Edited by The9

I think that last season our coefficient would've seen us in Pot 3. Not sure about the ones before that though.

Yeah, that's why I'm assuming Pot 3, but it was a relatively close call even last season - though our coefficient is just under 1 point better this year and the 15-25 range we're in is the most compact so that could make a big difference. It'll still come down to whether no-mark teams (like Midtjylland!) can beat sides with better coefficients.

I may do my "we need 12 teams worse than us to get through" list again when the PO round draw is known.

Interesting to note that the 2016/17 version of the (2015-18 ) UEFA EL regulations are out: http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/35/92/45/2359245_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The fixture order is the same as before... unchanged from earlier in the thread.

Matchday 1: 15/09/16

2 v 3

4 v 1

Matchday 2: 29/09/16

1 v 2

3 v 4

Matchday 3: 20/10/16

3 v 1

2 v 4

Matchday 4: 03/11/16

1 v 3

4 v 2

Matchday 5: 24/11/16

3 v 2

1 v 4

Matchday 6: 08/12/16

2 v 1

4 v 3

In real terms are we not likely to face much the same task and largely the same calibre of opponent i.e. those in Group 1 will be very good teams, the others are beatable and we have to get at least 3 wins and a draw to go through? So what does it really matter what pot we are in? Again, look at Midtjyelland's progress last year.

In real terms are we not likely to face much the same task and largely the same calibre of opponent i.e. those in Group 1 will be very good teams, the others are beatable and we have to get at least 3 wins and a draw to go through? So what does it really matter what pot we are in? Again, look at Midtjyelland's progress last year.

What matters is that probability of playing better teams depending on which pot we're in means we're better off being in a higher pot. Midtjylland were very much the exception to the rule.

Also, and more importantly for me, knowing which pot we're in means we know which group of 12 possible opponents we're going to be playing from each other pot, and which 11 teams we definitely won't need to plan a trip to. Narrows down the flight and hotel pre-planning to "only" 35 other teams (we can't play Man U) from the 48.

I'll give you a tip there mate. As you approach passport control, if you raise a hand, smile and shout "allahu akbar" they'll chuckle and let you straight through.

Cheers for the tip. If we play out there i'll give it a go and let you know how I get on. :)