Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

They can't now, but they can still get Astra Giurgiu, who they lost to last season in 3QR when we were in Arnhem, or Qabala of Azerbaijan which is a fair old trek in its own right. They also could have the pleasure of a trip to Albania to play Tirana. I'll be annoyed if they knock out Slavia Prague, Grasshoppers or Brondby, all of which are hoped-for opponents of mine, to different degrees.

Astra again it is then. Must be very annoying to get the same trip again, especially when they lost there last year

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

A quick rejigging... With 3 teams already below us in the Group Stages, we need another 9 from these below:

5 will come from these EL Play-Off Round games where both teams are below Saints:

Midtjylland vs Osmanlıspor - either

Astra vs West Ham United - either

Sassuolo vs Red Star Belgrade - either

Brondby vs Panathinaikos - either

AIK Gothenburg vs Qarabag - either

So we need another 4 to go our way from this lot (teams we want to win in Bold):

Champions League Play-Off Round (losers drop into the EL Group stage)

Dundalk v Legia Warsaw

Ajax v Rostov

Celtic v Hapoel Be'er Sheva

Europa League Play-Off Round (winners go into the EL Group Stage)

Astana vs BATE

Larnaca vs Slovan Liberec

Arouca vs Olympiacos

Dinamo Tbilisi vs PAOK

Austria Vienna vs Rosenborg

Beitar Jeruselum vs Saint Etienne

Lokomotov Zagreb vs Genk

Trencin vs Rapid Vienna

Vojvodina vs AZ Alkmaar

Maribor vs Qabala

Gent vs Shkendija

Slavia Prague vs Anderlecht

Istanbul Basaksehir vs Shakhtar Donetsk

Sonderjysk E vs Sparta Prague

Fenerbahce vs Grasshopper

Krasnodar vs Partizani Tirana

Maccabi Tel-Aviv vs Hajduk Split

A quick rejigging... With 3 teams already below us in the Group Stages, we need another 9 from these below:

5 will come from these EL Play-Off Round games where both teams are below Saints:

So we need another 4 to go our way from this lot (teams we want to win in Bold):

Dundalk v Legia Warsaw

Ajax v Rostov

Celtic v Hapoel Be'er Sheva

Astana vs BATE

Larnaca vs Slovan Liberec

Arouca vs Olympiacos

Dinamo Tbilisi vs PAOK

Beitar Jeruselum vs Saint Etienne

Lokomotov Zagreb vs Genk

Trencin vs Rapid Vienna

Vojvodina vs AZ Alkmaar

Maribor vs Qabala

Gent vs Shkendija

The three CL look probable to me (but Cultic maybe not so), so hopefully just need one upset from the EL.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

For those wanting us to avoid Midtjylland, you need around 4 more upsets than Saints need (lower coefficient to begin with and they don't get West Ham and Panathinaikos as automatics as they're not below them to begin with), so actually it does look fairly like we'll be in Pot 3 and them in Pot 4. :o

Of course they have to beat the Turkish side I've never heard of first...

What difference does the pot we're in really make? Is it one team from each pot per group?

Think so, so if we're seeded fourth, then we'll have three teams with a higher coefficient than us (better teams).

If we're seeded third, then we could get a crap team in our group...basically.

Think so, so if we're seeded fourth, then we'll have three teams with a higher coefficient than us (better teams).

If we're seeded third, then we could get a crap team in our group...basically.

Does a higher coefficient mean that though? We got done by Midtjelland last year and their coefficient wasn't better than ours. I don't think it matters what pot as we'll play a good side (pot 1) a pretty good, but beatable side (pot 2) and a not so good side (3 or 4) and if we want to progress we need to beat them all at SMS at the very least anyway.

What difference does the pot we're in really make? Is it one team from each pot per group?

Yes, and you can't be drawn against another club from the same nation.

The difference in Pot obviously determines the probability of us playing a better team. If we're in Pot 4, theoretically everyone is better than us and if we're in Pot 3 theoretically we're better than at least one team.

Of course coefficient accuracy isn't an exact science, and we're probably significantly underrated compared to our actual potential due to our sporadic European history anyway, so really the Pot we're in is more relevant to the teams we know we can and can't play for planning purposes. Like we're unlikely to play Mainz because our coefficients are very similar and they're likely to be in the same Pot, so I'm not going to bother checking how to get there in any kind of detail.

Does a higher coefficient mean that though? We got done by Midtjelland last year and their coefficient wasn't better than ours. I don't think it matters what pot as we'll play a good side (pot 1) a pretty good, but beatable side (pot 2) and a not so good side (3 or 4) and if we want to progress we need to beat them all at SMS at the very least anyway.

Inter are in Pot 1 and just lost 6-1 to Spurs preseason, and they've been gash for about 4 years. Probable Pot 1 team Braga are at best a vaguely decent Portuguese side, we're probably one of the top 10 teams in the competition and our lack of European experience costs us when it comes to seeding. It's not an exact science though, there are plenty of unseeded teams beating seeded ones every season because the seedings are over 5 years and the performance is only over two legs.

Pfft, draws probably are fixed- more so for the CL I reckon.

Didn't Blatter or someone say they used a method of hot and cold balls when doing the draw?

Yeah but Blatter will say anything to anyone depending on how beneficial it is to him and he's going to be slating UEFA and Platini in particular until he dies to try and undermine their integrity.

You'll note he didn't name anyone involved or specify when exactly it happened, because then he'd be open to legal action from UEFA and/or the people being slandered.

I'm fairly sure that kind of rigging is only worthwhile when you get to the last 8 anyway, and the entire concept of European club football competition is set up to favour the bigger teams to begin with, so it's not like they need to do much as the process eradicates the "undesirables" and everyone gets their own level of success within the box they've been put in.

Edited by The9

West Ham have an Allocation of 600 for their away game at Astra Giurgiu in Romania at £13 plus booking fees.

Interestingly they are charging £10-£30 for the home game (adult prices) so will have a decent attendance.

Last year against Arnhem and Midtjylland we charged £15 (I believe?) so with Virgin's "season ticket" deal I'd hope that we can see full houses again

Edited by marc_saint

Wot no CL fixtures? ;)

Due to the games being played on Tue/Wed, and only 3 CL Playoff round teams being rated lower than us, the only one we care about today is Ajax v Rostov, and we want Rostov to lose, which tbf looks pretty likely.

A reminder that we only need one upset in the EL ties (which start with Beitar Jerusalem on Wednesday, and there are 22 of them) as long as the 3 unseeded CL teams with worse coefficients than Saints lose. The other two in the CL we want to lose are Dundalk and Hapoel Be'er Sheva.

Edited by The9

Tricky opponent but would be a fantastic away day!

Tbh I ended up going there twice watching Saints last year what with Feyenoord and Vitesse, though that's not really a problem as I like the place and I've not actually been to the ArenA.

Ajax coefficient is 58-ish so either Pot 1 or Pot 2, Rostov are in single digits and would be Pot 4.

Edited by The9

Interestingly, Dundalk are playing their game at the Aviva Stadium. They played their previous match at a smaller stadium but also in Dublin, so it would be interesting to see what stadium they use if they do drop down to the Europa League.

At least we would get plenty of tickets if we drew Dundalk at the Aviva Stadium

Interestingly, Dundalk are playing their game at the Aviva Stadium. They played their previous match at a smaller stadium but also in Dublin, so it would be interesting to see what stadium they use if they do drop down to the Europa League.

At least we would get plenty of tickets if we drew Dundalk at the Aviva Stadium

It would be the drunkest thing ever, and would also be the first flight and hotel booking I'd be making of the three aways. :D

It would be interesting to see how is changed in the last 13 years

But not as interesting for me as going somewhere completely different. I'm fairly sure the Ibis will be exactly the same and the potholes will all still be there, for instance. Though I wouldn't mind reacquainting myself with the "price-hiked" 50p pint. :)

We need Hapoel Be'er Sheva, Rostov and Dundalk to lose in the CL Play Off matches, nothing else makes any difference to us as every other team in the competition outranks us anyway. Any of those three get into the CL Group Stages and we'll need one more EL Play Off Round qualifying upset to offset it.

In the CL PlayOffs Rostov drew 1-1 at Ajax last night so might be stitching us up, and yes we want Celtic to beat Be'er Sheva and Dundalk to get beaten by Legia Warsaw.

In addition Beitar Jerusalem are playing Saint-Etienne in the Europa League playoff tonight (we want Beitar to win that one)... and Beitar are 2-1 down at home with about 15 mins left. All the other EL PlayOff first legs are tomorrow night.

I'm currently working my way through potential locations and mapping airports and flights and suchlike, and other things I want to do the following weekend so when the draw is made a week Friday I can just bust out the pre-planned options and book without having to think about it... :D

FWIW, Celtic v Hapoel Be'er Sheva is on BT Sport 2, Dundalk v Legia is on BT Sport 3, and Porto v Roma (tie loser goes into the EL, both seeded above Saints) is on BT Sport ESPNHD.

Edited by The9

Beitar lost 2-1 at home to St-Etienne in EL Playoff first leg. Which is nice if you haven't been to the Geoffroy-Guichard for 18 years like me, but not so great if you want Saints in Pot 3. Still, there are 21 other ties tomorrow to get the upsets started.

Beitar lost 2-1 at home to St-Etienne in EL Playoff first leg. Which is nice if you haven't been to the Geoffroy-Guichard for 18 years like me, but not so great if you want Saints in Pot 3. Still, there are 21 other ties tomorrow to get the upsets started.

Nice for me as St Etiene and Bilbao are my closest options.

They played us off the park that night at St. Mary's, and City have just stuffed them away. How depressing.

It was 13 years ago, a lot has changed for all three teams and there's no particular reason to use that one match as a benchmark for now.

Plenty of EL PlayOff games later, but Astana v BATE Borisov kicked off at 3pm BST, still 0-0 after half an hour. We'd like Astana through (coeff. 12.575 and below Saints) rather than BATE (coeff. 34.000). Saints are 16.756, as a reminder.

All the coefficients can be found here: http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2017/accesslist/listofparticipants/index.html#201617+uefa+europa+league+list+participants

Edited by The9

Repost from earlier in the thread due to there being a heap of games tonight...

With 3 teams already below us in the Group Stages (Konyaspor, OGC Nice and Zorya Luhansk), we need another 9 from these below:

Dundalk 0-2 Legia Warsaw (played yesterday)

Ajax 1-1 Rostov (played yesterday)

Celtic 5-2 Hapoel Be'er Sheva (played yesterday)

Astana vs BATE Borisov

AEK Larnaca vs Slovan Liberec

Arouca vs Olympiacos

Dinamo Tbilisi vs PAOK

Beitar Jerusalem 1-2 Saint Etienne (played yesterday)

Lokomotiva Zagreb vs Genk

Trencin vs Rapid Vienna

Vojvodina vs AZ Alkmaar

Maribor vs Qabala

Gent vs Shkendija

Edited by The9