Southampton owner tells Mauricio Pellegrino he has no extra funds (The Times)

GGalpin

In the Echo today - our incoming business is done.

I thought last summer was woeful. the cupboard is BARE up front, there are major questions about our GK options in my opinion, our attacking midefield options are poor, and we are still one decent CB short, again in my opinion.

I thought last summer was woeful. the cupboard is BARE up front, there are major questions about our GK options in my opinion, our attacking midefield options are poor, and we are still one decent CB short, again in my opinion.

I don't know why you don't **** off and support another club which has more financial clout

I don't believe you go to many games if any so you are not providing much revenue for the club to buy and pay better players.

I am a realist and accept SFC are a pretty good second tier PL club where the players are not performing well at the moment but hope they will improve in the next few weeks.

I have been supporting the team since the late 1950's and in general the team has been performing in general as well as it has in the last 60 years except for a period 40 years ago or so when we managed to have some seriously good players playing for the club.

That Period commencing with the FA cup win was a bit of a blip really which could not be sustained especially with the advent of the PL where the big clubs buy the best players

I quite enjoy following and watching the Saints but you don't seem to so why do you do it as you are always whining and whingeing ?

I don't know why you don't **** off and support another club which has more financial clout

I don't believe you go to many games if any so you are not providing much revenue for the club to buy and pay better players.

I am a realist and accept SFC are a pretty good second tier PL club where the players are not performing well at the moment but hope they will improve in the next few weeks.

I have been supporting the team since the late 1950's and in general the team has been performing in general as well as it has in the last 60 years except for a period 40 years ago or so when we managed to have some seriously good players playing for the club.

That Period commencing with the FA cup win was a bit of a blip really which could not be sustained especially with the advent of the PL where the big clubs buy the best players

I quite enjoy following and watching the Saints but you don't seem to so why do you do it as you are always whining and whingeing ?

I truly would like the answer to this question. A while back I looked at some of Alpine's old posts and he always seems so miserable. I don't understand why he puts himself through this.

I truly would like the answer to this question. A while back I looked at some of Alpine's old posts and he always seems so miserable. I don't understand why he puts himself through this.

It's a mental disease caught by people of a certain age in the upper west stand at The Dell :-)

Shopping done ? Kind of normal, we have too many players for our needs anyway. That a fair few of them aren't good enough is a totally different concern. Should have been selling to anyone who was interested in buying all summer long. Hojbjerg, Clasie, Pied etc, all that just isn't up to standard. Why I'd even have tried to offload Boufal cos he really isn't that great, needs to go back to France where powder puffs such as he rule the roost.

Ok...I'll bite....

"Cupboard is "bare" up front"...Gabbiadini, Austin, Long all fighting for one spot... (Agree we should be looking to move on Austin or Long and bring in someone better but thats another discussion...

GK's....Ok Forster has had a bad year, but we're not going to replace him given we have just given him a 5 year contract. Forster, McCarthy (who has played quite a lot of football in his career), Taylor, Rose should be enough depth. Again - whether we should have been trying to move Forster out this summer and bring in someone better is up for discussion.

CB's....VVD, Hoedt, Yoshida, Stephens, Bednarek, Gardos. Can probably write the last two off as not good enough for atleast this season - personally think Gardos will go before the end of the window. Stephens not good enough yet, but will develop. Ideally against a more dominant partner. We're not going to have a CB better than Yoshida who is happy being 3rd /4th choice. Admitedly this does depend on VVD sorting his head out, however we'd probably have one of the best defences in the league if we can play Cedric VVD Hoedt Bertrand....

The biggest gap for me is in attacking midfield. Davis / JWP don't offer enough, and Boufal, Tadic and Redmond are not dangerous enough and don't score enough goals.

It does not sat it is definitely done. One day when it suits your agenda perhaps you will be able to read something other than the headline and think for yourself.

For me it suggests that we have bid for a player or even players but have not negotiated the deal we want and so are putting it out there that we are cooling. However MP clearly states that if a fantastic deal presents itself we are ready to act. So. Not done. Waiting. Ready to act. At the right price. Good business practice.

We are open to a good deal the manager states. This is standard talk to keep the heat off us and manage expectations among fans. I think we need to replace or add to with a attacking central midfielder. Once this is in place and we are ready to go.

I don't like the way some people attack each other on this site because they feel we need more quality. Alpine has a point at times. FFP is a red herring if B'Th can offer £30 million for a player. They are small club compared with us after all.

The Echo today completely misquoted what MP said. Suggest you listen to the press conference then come back!!

Jesus people relax. Do you honestly think Kat has just sold our club down the river and burdened it with a new owner that now has a huge debt to service.

Have people learnt nothing over the last year??? We knew very little about this takeover and when it did finally happen it certainly was not in the form that any of us was expecting.

Kat has retained 20% in the club because she wants to remain part of what her father started and part of what she took us to.....if it was about her just wanting out and as much money as she could possibly make she would already be sailing off into the sunset.

However don't let any of that stop you all jumping on the bandwagon and automatically condemning our new owner because of a NEWSPAPER story!

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I thought I could make a few quid out of a football club and had no emotion or connection for it I'd do as many on here have suggested and take out a loan at a lower rate than what I think I could make out of it.

I'd then sit and wait for the club to pay me off, eventually ending up with a club and no debt. That's not a bad return.

I'd also invest the minimum to keep the club in the PL, the holy cash cow that SFC must be in.

As a fan I hope Gao has something different in mind.

Must be old or dense what does AWM stand for?looking forward to the match was on holiday last week.

Ps put my tickets on ticket exchange last week , my friends said they were used ,anyone know how Saints sort out the refund ?

You have to wait til next season to get money off your next season ticket.ridiculous as ever with saints

What's ridiculous about that?

Nothing if you're the club they have sold the same seat twice and get the money straight into their bank Ak has to wait a year (that's if he decides to renew otherwise he gets nothing)

Don't get your knickers in a twist pal. I have no reason to distrust the Times article - it has a good reputation for business journalism. So what if nobody is picking up the story - the complex financial arrangements of a provincial PL football club are flotsam and jetsam in the ocean of news and of scant interest to the average punter.

Let's be clear: people have some concerns about a fella that as admitted multiple bribery offences and the fact that ownership rules were subsequently changed because the league had no grounds to block him. That may just be a cost of doing business in China; but it shouldn't be swept under the carpet. Likewise some of us have good contextual knowledge of China -unlike it seems some of those of who are blandly parroting the club line such as growth opportunities in China. I can tell you, even now, that the deal will virtually zero impact on our standing in China.

For what it's worth, outside observers (see Mark Dreyer etc) with no emotional connection to the club also believe the deal raises various red flags. Of course, it's too early to say whether the deal will be good or bad for the club. As a result, very few here have made bold, categorical statements or slammed the deal. And of course nobody wants it to turn out badly or is ungrateful for Liebherr's past services. Still there's no harm in asking questions or maintaining some healthy scepticism.

Your three posts out. AK and I are in agreement.

Knickers untwisted but question still lingers.