Im getting ads on screen

OldNick

No ads but the Privacy Settings option still appears bottom right of the screen.

(Full member by the way).

Yep, that will still appear - legal requirement, as it covers things like session cookies, site analytics and that sort of thing. If you're a full member, you won't see ads.

Yep, that will still appear - legal requirement, as it covers things like session cookies, site analytics and that sort of thing. If you're a full member, you won't see ads.
but why do you have to go to those settings to turn things off. Everytime Ive saved the settings and it still turns back on when I log in

but why do you have to go to those settings to turn things off. Everytime Ive saved the settings and it still turns back on when I log in

It's the QuantCast platform that's been deployed to gain consent to the use of cookies. Personally, I don't think it's compliant with PECR (the law governing cookie deployment) as it doesn't produce informed consent (it says it will apply your choices to your interactions with all its other customers and it's not clear who they are unless you go digging around).

Bascially they jumped on the GDPR-bandwagon to sell a "GDPR-compliant" solution to a non-GDPR problem and loads of people fell for it.

It might be that by accepting certain session cookies you can avoid it popping up every time whilst still saying "no" to advertising cookies.

I am NOT a paid member but this site is all over the place! - ads popping up all over the place, java script error's, screen moving up down !

What's going on??

Same here although since I changed the privacy settings turning all the options off it seems to be mainly empty shells where ads should be. Constantly getting an "X" about 3cm up 4cm across in bottom left of screen (laptop, firefox browser) seems to be approximately top right corner of where a floating ad kept appearing before I changed the settings. Clicking it makes it disappear but it's back every time a page loads.

Also every page load runs through loads of "transferring data" "waiting for" and "loading" messages followed by various names in bottom left corner despite settings switching them all off.

This doesnt seem to be happening for most people, so let me explain what I think it happening

1) Consent window pops up.

2) It asks you "can we keep some cookies to remember your preferences on ads etc"

3) User select "no, bugger off" etc.

4) Because you've told the consent plugin it's not allowed to keep cookies on you, it's not allowed to remember who you are.

5) You revisit site. Go to step 1.

This doesnt seem to be happening for most people, so let me explain what I think it happening

1) Consent window pops up.

2) It asks you "can we keep some cookies to remember your preferences on ads etc"

3) User select "no, bugger off" etc.

4) Because you've told the consent plugin it's not allowed to keep cookies on you, it's not allowed to remember who you are.

5) You revisit site. Go to step 1.

the same doesn't happen with other websites I visit. I suggest that a lot of users beleive they have done it once and it says save and so they don't need to do it again, Also I get ads before I have logged in. None of this happened befiore you changed things.

If anyone else is having this happen can you list here so Baj can see as I feel he thinks it may only be a couple of us. If so fine then it must be my 2 computers

I’m still getting redirected to ads on a daily basis. Making it pretty tedious to try and read anything
its having to turn off the privacy settings everytime I log in is also tedious. I would have thought once it had been turned off the first time and saved that should be enough. Im sure plenty of users on here are having info taken off their computers that they wouldn't really want. Eg their viewing habits for the advertisers. Its not right IMO but it seems nothing is going to be done to rectify it. Im not sure if this is what the authorities expect when they set up the regulations

being a full member I dont get that thankfully. With help from Marsdino it seems today I dont have to click on the privacy settings each time I log in here. It may be worth paying the £5 so you dont have the ads. Steve and Baj are going to be the new Bill Gates with all their advertising income coming in

Can't your grandchildren come round to fix it for you?
A bit ageist there Jonnyboy. When I was young I wasnt a geek sitting behind a computer, I was out playing sport, building a good business and chasing more interesting things.

My grandchild may be able to help but as only 7 may not on this matter.