Blasphemy and Duck Rape

Yorkshire Saint

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

You’re getting your knickers in a twist about homophobia and sexism, whilst displaying those traits yourself, it’s not my fault you’re a bigot!

No I'm not. I've already answered your nonsense claim regarding God's gender in my previous post.

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

I know the Bible says God is a he... because the Bible says God is a he in the opening of the book and throughout the rest of it! :mcinnes:

Genesis 1

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

That’s what the writers of the books in the bible said, had god ever personally confirmed their gender?

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That’s what the writers of the books in the bible said, had god ever personally confirmed their gender?

I don't even know where to start unpacking the flaws in your current line of nonsense, but I'll give it a go. Until it is shown otherwise, the written description of the character of the Christian God is all we have to go on. The Bible describes God as 'he', so the claim that 'the Christian God as written in scripture is male' is demonstrably true and separate from any God actually being male (because you'd first have to prove existence.

Edited by Matthew Le God

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't even know where to start unpacking the flaws in your current line of nonsense, but I'll give it a go. Until it is shown otherwise, the written description of the character of the Christian God is all we have to go on. The Bible describes God as 'he', so the claim that 'the Christian God as written in scripture is male' is demonstrably true and separate from any God actually being male (because you'd first have to prove existence.

Very poor attempt Matthew. So let me get this straight, you’re trying to convince me of the sexuality of something you aren’t even sure exists. And you say there are flaws in current line 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Turkish

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Very poor attempt Matthew. So let me get this straight, you’re trying to convince me of the sexuality of something you aren’t even sure exists. And you say there are flaws in current line 🤣🤣🤣

English comprehension is letting you down again. I've made no comment on God's sexuality. Plus, the character of God as described in the Bible is undeniably male as the scripture uses male pronouns, that is completely separate from the issue of God existing or not.

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

English comprehension is letting you down again. I've made no comment on God's sexuality. Plus, the character of God as described in the Bible is undeniably male as the scripture uses male pronouns, that is completely separate from the issue of God existing or not.

Oh dear, you did, you said god was a he

“He is also instructing death for those who disobey, is that a suitable punishment for the crime”

another fail MLG 

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Oh dear, you did, you said god was a he

“He is also instructing death for those who disobey, is that a suitable punishment for the crime”

another fail MLG 

There is no fail, apart from your failure with comprehension of your native language.

- The character as described in the Bible is a 'he'.

- The character of Harry Potter in the Harry Potter book series is a 'he'.

Two fictional characters, both are characters in a book described as being a 'he'.

he-man GIF

Edited by Matthew Le God

37 minutes ago, Turkish said:

In bible times men and women were treated differently, men were head of the house. Therefore telling a lie to a fellow head of house would likely have been deemed more serious that telling a lie to a woman. I’d have thought you’d have know that what with teaching RS to kids the only mention of sex and homosexual  in your perverted little mind . I fear for our kids if you’re an example the standard of teaching. 

It says "lie with", not "lie to". In Olde English, the term "lie with a woman" undoubtedly refers to intercourse.

You realise that it's only when you translate the passage into English that the word "lie" takes on the second meaning you are suggesting, right?

I don't speak ancient Hebrew so can't be 100% certain, but I'd be willing to bet that the original word used doesn't have the same dual meaning.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It says "lie with", not "lie to". In Olde English, the term "lie with a woman" undoubtedly refers to intercourse.

You realise that it's only when you translate the passage into English that the word "lie" takes on the second meaning you are suggesting, right?

I don't speak ancient Hebrew so can't be 100% certain, but I'd be willing to bet that the original word used doesn't have the same dual meaning.

Don't confuse @Turkish for someone able to take on board any of of those very good points and form any kind of coherent rebuttal.

47 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I know the Bible says God is a he... because the Bible says God is a he in the opening of the book and throughout the rest of it! :mcinnes:

Genesis 1

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

Glad you are starting at the beginning and doing some sort of prep

4 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Because he made some good ones, so there is no need for me to also use them. Give it a try and actually answer his points, as he completely unpicked your nonsense.

No he didn’t. He started with “undoubtedly” then said “can’t confirm” so not undoubtedly at all! How can you take that sort of post seriously. 

anyway, too bad you need the big boys to step in and help you. 

25 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Sheaf, you're far too smart to have fallen for that quite obvious wind up. MLG I would expect it from, he likes to correct people even when he knows they're being deliberately inaccurate.

The actual literal Hebrew translation is actually to 'LAY with', which is a key but subtle difference. It is a reference to laying patio slabs and was considered by the Israelites as needing a woman's input, so as best to position a raised planter for hardy perennials.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The actual literal Hebrew translation is actually to 'LAY with', which is a key but subtle difference. It is a reference to laying patio slabs and was considered by the Israelites as needing a woman's input, so as best to position a raised planter for hardy perennials.

comedy good job GIF by CBC

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Sheaf, you're far too smart to have fallen for that quite obvious wind up. MLG I would expect it from, he likes to correct people even when he knows they're being deliberately inaccurate.

You need to remember Sheaf works in the public sector so not easy for them to spot people taking the piss when most of them make a career from it 

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

You need to remember Sheaf works in the public sector so not easy for them to spot people taking the piss when most of them make a career from it.

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Well I'm definitely not taking that bait.

It was quite obvious you were just trying to get a rise out of MLG because that's pretty much your raison d'être in the lounge. Shame you couldn't detect my attempt to turn the tables. Perhaps you're not the master WUM you thought you were 😉

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Well I'm definitely not taking that bait.

It was quite obvious you were just trying to get a rise out of MLG because that's pretty much your raison d'être in the lounge. Shame you couldn't detect my attempt to turn the tables. Perhaps you're not the master WUM you thought you were 😉

Think you’ll find that was lighthouse Bexy 😃

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

You need to remember Sheaf works in the public sector so not easy for them to spot people taking the piss when most of them make a career from it 

A sad, pathetic, and misinformed trope. So typical of you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Come on then badge, tell us how tough it is on those flexitime hours

Like I said, sad, pathetic, and misinformed.

However, let us consider the Public Sector workers; the Military, the Police, the NHS workers, teachers, children's social workers, and many more areas of over-worked and under-staffed essential services, where budgets are constantly being cut, and people hold perceptions of them like yours.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

However, let us consider the Public Sector workers; the Military, the Police, the NHS workers, teachers, children's social workers, and many more areas of over-worked and under-staffed essential services, where budgets are constantly being cut, and people hold perceptions of them like yours.

Having worked in both the public and private sectors, Turkish's perception isn't wrong. People working to rule, Flexi time being enjoyed even though there was work still work to be done, mass overtime at the year end just to spend money, etc. I wouldn't employ one of my former public sector colleagues. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Teachers! Are you having a laugh. On this very forum we’ve got an example of an “overworked” teacher in MLG! So overworked he manages to spend all day on here and Twitter correcting people and has another job as a computer game researcher. It’s a wonder how he manages to get any marking done when he spends all his time checking this forum waiting for people to make a minor factual error on the most mundane of subjects 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, egg said:

Having worked in both the public and private sectors, Turkish's perception isn't wrong. People working to rule, Flexi time being enjoyed even though there was work still work to be done, mass overtime at the year end just to spend money, etc. I wouldn't employ one of my former public sector colleagues. 

Not sure where that was, but it sure isn't typical of my experience over 33 years.

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Teachers! Are you having a laugh. On this very forum we’ve got an example of an “overworked” teacher in MLG! So overworked he manages to spend all day on here and Twitter correcting people and has another job as a computer game researcher. It’s a wonder how he manages to get any marking done when he spends all his time checking this forum waiting for people to make a minor factual error on the most mundane of subjects 

Yet again, so typical of you.

32 minutes ago, egg said:

Speaks volumes for your skills if you worked amongst people none of which you would employ. Assume you were the stand out stellar performer the public sector must have been in awe that you made your self available for public service?

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Are you the sort of parent who berates teachers at parents evenings thinking it is them and not your little offspring’s fault? If only they worked harder!

Just now, whelk said:

Are you the sort of parent who berates teachers at parents evenings thinking it is them and not your little offspring’s fault? If only they worked harder!

What’s my little offsprings fault? They are performing very well at school and in sport!

31 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Not sure where that was, but it sure isn't typical of my experience over 33 years.

That's the thing, you normalise it while you're there and don't see it. I have friends who still work there and just don't understand what me and others who've left can see. Private sector is a different ball game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, whelk said:

Speaks volumes for your skills if you worked amongst people none of which you would employ. Assume you were the stand out stellar performer the public sector must have been in awe that you made your self available for public service?

My skills are unrelated to the fact that I had colleagues who were bred in a culture where they can stroll in almost mid morning despite work piling up, have a 2 hour lunch cos they want to, go home to beat the traffic cos there's Flexi time on the clock, and all with a "the work can wait" attitude. If you've worked for a decent amount of time on both sides of the divide then I'll debate the issue with you, bit if you haven't, I can't see that you're placed to discuss it. 

12 minutes ago, egg said:

That's the thing, you normalise it while you're there and don't see it. I have friends who still work there and just don't understand what me and others who've left can see. Private sector is a different ball game.

Lol - you lump 5.5 million workers in the same camp from your experience. Private sector? Yeah all one big similar culture. And you are talking about background to debate! 

16 minutes ago, whelk said:

Lol - you lump 5.5 million workers in the same camp from your experience. Private sector? Yeah all one big similar culture. And you are talking about background to debate! 

You're a bit defensive Whelk. I've referenced my own experience in the public sector - it's not a perception, it's reality over a number of years.

To be fair, I enjoyed it. What's to dislike about study day release, study leave (all in the knowledge I'd leave afterwards of course), a few pay rises a year, being able to come in late whilst hanging, having a long pub lunch on a Friday, getting home nice and early, slacking off in the week knowing I could do weekend overtime at an enhanced rate,  and a day off in lieu on top, etc, etc? Good times, but all at the tax payers expense. 

I've since worked in the real world of the private sector. Knowing what I now know, that place could've been run at half the cost. 

In my experience, and I can only refer to that, the public sector I worked in was a soft option. Turkish had a perception which is my experience of reality.

I'll assume that you have no experience of both sides of the fence. 

Edited by egg

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Private sector vs Public sector

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

This thread is supposed to be about ducks and toasters!

ducks running GIFghostbusters 2 toaster GIF by Stan.

In the private sector we don't get time for either MLG. I bet you have a pond full of ducks and a variety of toasters at your place. 

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Budgets are constantly being cut in the 'private' sector and being 'overworked' isn't exclusive to the public sector. Shareholders generally want their pound of flesh.

Mrs WSS started a new job in the 'public' sector yesterday having spent the last 11 years in retail.  She was shocked when everyone upped sticks and went home at ten past four (working hours 08:30 - 16:30) and thought she would be 'docked' money for leaving early.  Luckily I was on hand to remind her that she's now on a salary ;) 

45 minutes ago, egg said:

You're a bit defensive Whelk. I've referenced my own experience in the public sector - it's not a perception, it's reality over a number of years.

To be fair, I enjoyed it. What's to dislike about study day release, study leave (all in the knowledge I'd leave afterwards of course), a few pay rises a year, being able to come in late whilst hanging, having a long pub lunch on a Friday, getting home nice and early, slacking off in the week knowing I could do weekend overtime at an enhanced rate,  and a day off in lieu on top, etc, etc? Good times, but all at the tax payers expense. 

I've since worked in the real world of the private sector. Knowing what I now know, that place could've been run at half the cost. 

In my experience, and I can only refer to that, the public sector I worked in was a soft option. Turkish had a perception which is my experience of reality.

I'll assume that you have no experience of both sides of the fence. 

It’s not defensive just a lazy cliche and constantly fuelled by culture war shite of them and us. Services shite not because of mismanagement but because everyone fucks off at 3 - nice and convenient for those in power. Not my experience at all. I have a worked in a number of sectors, engineering and construction, oil and chemicals, insurance and even betting. Have also worked with public sector and whilst not the same entrepreneurial/commercial acumen as they do not have the same accountability for the bottom line, I’ve seen plenty of hard working driven individuals. Some don’t want to be working all hours often in unethical industries and value wellbeing of work life balance. 
My missus works with special needs children and she doesn’t give a fuck about money which is not the same as being lazy.

Edited by whelk

43 minutes ago, egg said:

My skills are unrelated to the fact that I had colleagues who were bred in a culture where they can stroll in almost mid morning despite work piling up, have a 2 hour lunch cos they want to, go home to beat the traffic cos there's Flexi time on the clock, and all with a "the work can wait" attitude. If you've worked for a decent amount of time on both sides of the divide then I'll debate the issue with you, bit if you haven't, I can't see that you're placed to discuss it. 

I used to be on “flexi time” in the CPS. You were allowed to carry over 2 hours every month. I used to lose time every month because my flexi clock would be well over the 2 hours. I never got to use the 2 hours either. When I worked in the private sector I earned a lot more money and there were more opportunities to take the piss. I am sure we all have different experiences but the usual nonsense of tarring everyone or everything with the same brush just because you know of one or two examples doesn’t prove an argument. I currently know many manual (private sector) workers who earn over £200 “a day” but their “day” often finishes at 2pm or 3pm after a 9 am start, plenty of tea breaks and a lunch hour. My wife works in the private sector from 9am to 5:30pm with half an hour for lunch and earns well below the national average wage. She has a few days off so didn’t get home until 7:30pm last night because she was getting her work sorted for the person covering - no overtime. It used to be the same when she worked in the public sector (only she was a higher grade and was on a higher salary). My point is that you cannot compare the private sector with the public sector unless you research the vast majority of jobs in both sectors. Throwing in the odd anecdotal reference when there are hundreds of thousands of different working practices across both sectors means nothing. The public sector has been squeezed massively in the austerity years. The infrastructure of this country is crumbling, not because civil servants are in cushy jobs, but because their are not enough of them to get the work done. This has absolutely nothing to do with working from home or flexi hours. In both public and private sectors, if you do not employ enough people to do the job properly, you are going to struggle.

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Budgets are constantly being cut in the 'private' sector and being 'overworked' isn't exclusive to the public sector. Shareholders generally want their pound of flesh.

Mrs WSS started a new job in the 'public' sector yesterday having spent the last 11 years in retail.  She was shocked when everyone upped sticks and went home at ten past four (working hours 08:30 - 16:30) and thought she would be 'docked' money for leaving early.  Luckily I was on hand to remind her that she's now on a salary ;) 

All these anecdotes and first hand witnessing is very convenient for those forwarding their side of the discussion.

my mate worked at council and died of a heart attack. Doctors put it down to him doing 90 hours a week for 30 years doing the work of 2 men and never having a days leave or sick. His commitment to public service was incredible unlike his twin brother who worked in private sector. Sat around on arse smoking all day thieving what he could and forging his timesheets. 

19 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Why were you on hand and not sweeping up?

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

All these anecdotes and first hand witnessing is very convenient for those forwarding their side of the discussion.

my mate worked at council and died of a heart attack. Doctors put it down to him doing 90 hours a week for 30 years doing the work of 2 men and never having a days leave or sick. His commitment to public service was incredible unlike his twin brother who worked in private sector. Sat around on arse smoking all day thieving what he could and forging his timesheets. 

Bit melodramatic.

I'm sure there are hard workers and piss takers in both public and private sectors.  Let's just settle on 'human nature' shall we ;) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

It’s not defensive just a lazy cliche and constantly fuelled by culture war shite of them and us. Services shite not because of mismanagement but because everyone fucks off at 3 - nice and convenient for those in power. Not my experience at all. I have a worked in a number of sectors, engineering and construction, oil and chemicals, insurance and even betting. Have also worked with public sector and whilst not the same entrepreneurial/commercial acumen as they do not have the same accountability for the bottom line, I’ve seen plenty of hard working driven individuals. Some don’t want to be working all hours often in unethical industries and value wellbeing of work life balance. 
My missus works with special needs children and she doesn’t give a fuck about money which is not the same as being lazy.

It's not a lazy cliche Whelk. It's a reality that I worked amongst for years. My colleagues took the piss. I took the piss. It was a slack environment. For my friends still there it's a bit tougher as staff levels are down, but their perception of being "under staffed" is bollox - it's just that they had it too easy for too long and are now having to work something like a proper shift.