Blasphemy and Duck Rape

Yorkshire Saint

13 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I used to be on “flexi time” in the CPS. You were allowed to carry over 2 hours every month. I used to lose time every month because my flexi clock would be well over the 2 hours. I never got to use the 2 hours either. When I worked in the private sector I earned a lot more money and there were more opportunities to take the piss. I am sure we all have different experiences but the usual nonsense of tarring everyone or everything with the same brush just because you know of one or two examples doesn’t prove an argument. I currently know many manual (private sector) workers who earn over £200 “a day” but their “day” often finishes at 2pm or 3pm after a 9 am start, plenty of tea breaks and a lunch hour. My wife works in the private sector from 9am to 5:30pm with half an hour for lunch and earns well below the national average wage. She has a few days off so didn’t get home until 7:30pm last night because she was getting her work sorted for the person covering - no overtime. It used to be the same when she worked in the public sector (only she was a higher grade and was on a higher salary). My point is that you cannot compare the private sector with the public sector unless you research the vast majority of jobs in both sectors. Throwing in the odd anecdotal reference when there are hundreds of thousands of different working practices across both sectors means nothing. The public sector has been squeezed massively in the austerity years. The infrastructure of this country is crumbling, not because civil servants are in cushy jobs, but because their are not enough of them to get the work done. This has absolutely nothing to do with working from home or flexi hours. In both public and private sectors, if you do not employ enough people to do the job properly, you are going to struggle.

The thing with personal experiences SoG is that we can only reliably draw on our own. My previous post addresses the staff numbers point... having less staff than you previously had doesn't mean that you don't have enough. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, egg said:

The thing with personal experiences SoG is that we can only reliably draw on our own. My previous post addresses the staff numbers point... having less staff than you previously had doesn't mean that you don't have enough. 

Don't forget, Soggy still lives in a world where offices had 'typing pools' of 20 workers.  He won't accept that 1 person can now duplicate the work of 20 with copy and paste skills.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Don't forget, Soggy still lives in a world where offices had 'typing pools' of 20 workers.  He won't accept that 1 person can now duplicate the work of 20 with copy and paste skills.

Soggys former team of filing clerks would be redundant these days as well, those damn computers doing away all those administrators and their manager. 

3 hours ago, egg said:

No it doesn’t. But in our case and in the case of my colleagues in the police, probation and court service, we were all told to reduce our wage bills. There was no work done on the numbers needed to provide a satisfactory service what so ever. If the workload doesn’t decrease in line with staff numbers ( or if it goes up) any department will struggle after year after year of cuts. We were expected to hit the budget and were told specifically that we couldn’t use lack of staff as an excuse if we didn’t hit our performance targets. In order to hit our annual budget targets we had to hope that the more experienced staff on higher wages would volunteer to go, which many of them did as they were fed up with the increasing workload, which left us with the more inexperienced staff members, many of whom were poor performers. If this is happening throughout the civil service and other government agencies, no wonder that our infrastructure is going downhill rapidly.

I should add that the number of people off sick with mental health and or mental health related issues climbed dramatically over the period too. If you have an ever shrinking team and people on long term sick leave and are unable to recruit cover it puts an even higher burden of the workforce giving you a vicious circle. To label all civil servants as lazy workers in cushy jobs is absolute nonsense. There will always be people who take the piss but the problems that I see locally in the hospitals, at the doctors, in the local services etc is too few people with too high a workload.

Edited by sadoldgit

18 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

No it doesn’t. But in our case and in the case of my colleagues in the police, probation and court service, we were all told to reduce our wage bills. There was no work done on the numbers needed to provide a satisfactory service what so ever. If the workload doesn’t decrease in line with staff numbers ( or if it goes up) any department will struggle after year after year of cuts. We were expected to hit the budget and were told specifically that we couldn’t use lack of staff as an excuse if we didn’t hit our performance targets. In order to hit our annual budget targets we had to hope that the more experienced staff on higher wages would volunteer to go, which many of them did as they were fed up with the increasing workload, which left us with the more inexperienced staff members, many of whom were poor performers. If this is happening throughout the civil service and other government agencies, no wonder that our infrastructure is going downhill rapidly.

I should add that the number of people off sick with mental health and or mental health related issues climbed dramatically over the period too. If you have an ever shrinking team and people on long term sick leave and are unable to recruit cover it puts an even higher burden of the workforce giving you a vicious circle. To label all civil servants as lazy workers in cushy jobs is absolute nonsense. There will always be people who take the piss but the problems that I see locally in the hospitals, at the doctors, in the local services etc is too few people with too high a workload.

Welcome to the real world. That’s how it is pal, year after year we’re expected to hit budget targets whilst reducing costs. We often just don’t replace leavers or promote from within as it’s significantly cheaper.  I guess the difference is not much staff turnover in the public sector as people don’t leave of their own accord due to being a cushy number. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Welcome to the real world. That’s how it is pal, year after year we’re expected to hit budget targets whilst reducing costs. We often just don’t replace leavers or promote from within as it’s significantly cheaper.  I guess the difference is not much staff turnover in the public sector as people don’t leave of their own accord due to being a cushy number. 

You really are talking out of your back passage now. Have you any idea of attrition rates in nursing?

3 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

You really are talking out of your back passage now. Have you any idea of attrition rates in nursing?

Soggy doesn’t work in nursing. How is they relevant to when he was manager of a team of administrators in the CJS?

57 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

We beg to differ SoG. We worked in related areas of the civil service. Where I worked could have operated well with half the staff working hard and efficiently. Those staff numbers have reduced, and technology has improved. The fact that they have less staff now does not make them understaffed. 

The NHS is a different issue I think. There seems to be a genuine issue of insufficient staff for the number of people to be looked after. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

The NHS is a different issue I think. There seems to be a genuine issue of insufficient staff for the number of people to be looked after. 

True.  Some roles can't be replaced by technology, especially within the care sector.  Equally, we are developing our ability to keep people alive longer which adds extra pressure by increasing the number who need care.  

1 hour ago, egg said:

We beg to differ SoG. We worked in related areas of the civil service. Where I worked could have operated well with half the staff working hard and efficiently. Those staff numbers have reduced, and technology has improved. The fact that they have less staff now does not make them understaffed. 

Exactly that. Greater efficiencies plus improved technology means staff numbers are reduced. I’ve been at my company for 8 years and in that time we’ve closed down 3 offices in the UK and reduced staff by about 30%, we simply don’t need as many admin staff now as lots of what we do is automated. 

also agree that the NHS is separate issue and also appreciate how hard and stressful jobs like social workers are, was (obviously) taking the piss with teachers

sounds to me like being left with inexperienced, poor performing staff as good people are getting fed up with the work load is more a training and development issue, plus people not liking being challenged. Unfortunately that’s life these days. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

As a non practising cultural pagan I will be celebrating the winter solstice a few days late because that is when I get given the day off work. By erecting a fake coniferous tree, and sharing gifts with my family to indicate my surplus bounty. I will then pass out after eating to many mince pies, as they hark back to a time when only dried fruits were available this time of year before modern preservation and shipping methods were available, if you wanted consume some form of fruit.

However at no time will I or my family care that a made up story about a real person is said to have happened on this day.

Oh and I might tune in to see if Charles will complain that everyone gifted him a pen this year because they thought it would be funny.

Edited by Mystic Force

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

So how will you be celebrating the festive period this year? Assume some will still be buying presents for each other and celebrating the christian festival but dont believe in Jesus or god

All my gifts, food, confectionary and movements in and around the festive period....will all be carbon neutral - the true meaning of xmas

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

All my gifts, food, confectionary and movements in and around the festive period....will all be carbon neutral - the true meaning of xmas

I’ll be switching Turkey for cauliflower hash, that’ll save the planet 

• 1 month later...

So, the recent census results show that the majority of people in the UK no longer identify as Christian. Seems to confirm that most people are just observing a cultural/historical tradition at this time of year after all, rather than marking the (very unlikely) date of birth of a man with magic powers whose mother was a virgin.

15 minutes ago, Golactico said:

So, the recent census results show that the majority of people in the UK no longer identify as Christian. Seems to confirm that most people are just observing a cultural/historical tradition at this time of year after all, rather than marking the (very unlikely) date of birth of a man with magic powers whose mother was a virgin.

Doubters will always doubt.

1 hour ago, Golactico said:

No MLG it doesn’t confirm that at all

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Is not the reverse also true ? You posting about or after Soggy ?

Only when he’s being a bellend, which is most of the time. I call out his bullshit, hypocrisy, self righteousness and piety. Plus he’s liar. I don’t like liars 

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Anyone think God is more interested in doing the occasional toast imprint than helping England win a competition?

As Christianity is now a minority in the UK his will was for Kane to miss that penalty. We’ve got MLG and his like to thank for our suffering 

47 minutes ago, egg said:

What's a bucket and a teapot got to do with it?!

It’s always amusing when a poster who has had an account for years but rarely posted in that time then suddenly starts posting prolifically, usually being very argumentative, following around a few select posters. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Have a great festive period fellow saints. Even those of you that are hypocrites who celebrate it anyway despite not believing in Jesus. Here is the day our top boy was born 

39206CC1-08D9-44D7-8B0F-58FF9D7059AD.jpeg

Sorry Turks, but Jesus was not born on Dec 25th. That date was set by the Church circa 350 years after Jesus' birth.

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Sorry Turks, but Jesus was not born on Dec 25th. That date was set by the Church circa 350 years after Jesus' birth.

Thanks for that badg, I’d have no idea if you hadn’t just mentioned it. I can’t believe it hasn’t already been discussed on this thread 

Edited by Turkish

5 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Is there the slightest hint of irony in the Pope condemning the "hunger for wealth and power" given the organisation he is head of ?

The Pope seems a decent bloke from what I have seen. Apparently is truly humble chap and think his messages are normally very healthy. 

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Have a great festive period fellow saints. Even those of you that are hypocrites who celebrate it anyway despite not believing in Jesus. Here is the day our top boy was born 

39206CC1-08D9-44D7-8B0F-58FF9D7059AD.jpeg

Does LBJ's (not the US Prez) dad look a bit like Messi, in this pic?

If so, LBJ...CHDAJFU? Is this what our buying nippers plan was leading up to?

Would Nathan be just the manager to get LBJ into our club?

Merry gift swapping and feasting!