Blasphemy and Duck Rape

Yorkshire Saint

• 3 weeks later...

Prayer to God 

Vaccines made by humans 👍

A California man who mocked Covid-19 vaccines on social media has died after a month-long battle with the virus.

Stephen Harmon, a member of the Hillsong megachurch, had been a vocal opponent of vaccines, making a series of jokes about not having the vaccine.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-57958358

Edited by Matthew Le God

I did not really care that there was no god until I moved to America. The conjunction of religion and politics with its opposition to scientific fact is what made me a more strident atheist. Young earth creationism is very much the default position for a very large section of the Evangelical churches, to continue to hold this position requires the rejection of certain scientific knowledge, which then leads to the wholescale rejection of science in general, and to do so there are significant home school programs and religious schools and universities, who have staff required to sign statement that they will agree to certain facts being true, which would rather hinder scientific or historical study, and the information that may be taught.

We now have a large and voting wise powerful (due to geographical distribution and rules in place) that  have been a hindrance to dealing with a real world demonstration of science. Trumps position on the virus was locked in a self reinforcing position with the evangelical leaders, egging each other on. Science did not have all the answers, but there is a well worn path of how knowledge is acquired, ideas are tested and models improved. This general rejection of science had consequence for how the population reacted to the pandemic.

in England I would say that for the most part church is benign gathering place for people, and there is no real requirement to be a certain way. That is not the case in the parts of America I have lived. Despite the times we live in, being an avowed atheist was pretty rare in the Midwest, or Appalachians. Even people who do not go believe it to be true. Where as in the UK most people would these days be indifferent, our religious politics being confined to the past. They are certainty not requiring political choices to only be done in accordance with their religious beliefs.

So for you guys back home religion is really not so important a consideration in the practical everyday, that cannot be said to be the same here in the political and cultural, it effects laws, it effects education and it affects who will die.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

I did not really care that there was no god until I moved to America. The conjunction of religion and politics with its opposition to scientific fact is what made me a more strident atheist. Young earth creationism is very much the default position for a very large section of the Evangelical churches, to continue to hold this position requires the rejection of certain scientific knowledge, which then leads to the wholescale rejection of science in general, and to do so there are significant home school programs and religious schools and universities, who have staff required to sign statement that they will agree to certain facts being true, which would rather hinder scientific or historical study, and the information that may be taught.

We now have a large and voting wise powerful (due to geographical distribution and rules in place) that  have been a hindrance to dealing with a real world demonstration of science. Trumps position on the virus was locked in a self reinforcing position with the evangelical leaders, egging each other on. Science did not have all the answers, but there is a well worn path of how knowledge is acquired, ideas are tested and models improved. This general rejection of science had consequence for how the population reacted to the pandemic.

in England I would say that for the most part church is benign gathering place for people, and there is no real requirement to be a certain way. That is not the case in the parts of America I have lived. Despite the times we live in, being an avowed atheist was pretty rare in the Midwest, or Appalachians. Even people who do not go believe it to be true. Where as in the UK most people would these days be indifferent, our religious politics being confined to the past. They are certainty not requiring political choices to only be done in accordance with their religious beliefs.

So for you guys back home religion is really not so important a consideration in the practical everyday, that cannot be said to be the same here in the political and cultural, it effects laws, it effects education and it affects who will die.

Absolutely!

I Went from who cares to strident atheist in under a year after arriving here. Nothing changed in my beliefs, they simply became suddenly important to my general well being. 

In america we are accused of being aggressive shit stirrers, when in reality we are trying to resist a problem in the minds of others that should not even exist. 

Just now, benjii said:

It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

If you have ever seen on youtube "The Atheist Experience" I am firmly of the opinion the only bit of that show that will cause people to change their mind would be the opening song rather than any of the arguments made to the callers. It has bene shown that when you use music you can get ideas past the reasoning part of the brain. That is why music and singing features so  prominently in worship services.

10 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

If you have ever seen on youtube "The Atheist Experience" I am firmly of the opinion the only bit of that show that will cause people to change their mind would be the opening song rather than any of the arguments made to the callers. It has bene shown that when you use music you can get ideas past the reasoning part of the brain. That is why music and singing features so  prominently in worship services.

Watched Documentary on Scientology recent. Mental how daft people can become. You’d think you’d be smart if you could donate $25m and might sense it was a scam.

fuck knows what Cruise was playing at - weird fucker

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Watched Documentary on Scientology recent. Mental how daft people can become. You’d think you’d be smart if you could donate $25m and might sense it was a scam.

fuck knows what Cruise was playing at - weird fucker

Is Tom Cruise any more weird than Mel Gibson, who is a "traditionalist" Catholic who believes that Mass can only ever be held in Latin because "the Creator instituted something very specific, and we can’t just go change it," and rejects all modern, ( ie post 1900 ), reforms of the Catholic faith ?

Edited by badgerx16

14 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Is Tom Cruise any more weird than Mel Gibson, who is a "traditionalist" Catholic who believes that Mass can only ever be held in Latin because "the Creator instituted something very specific, and we can’t just go change it," and rejects all modern, ( ie post 1900 ), reforms of the Catholic faith ?

They are both nuts, but followers of Scientology are more nuts.

Scientology is the creation of a science fiction writer who was convicted and sentence to jail for fraud. Takes a special kind of bonkers to be brainwashed by L.Ron Hubbard.

jumping tom cruise GIF

14 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

They are both nuts, but followers of Scientology are more nuts.

Scientology is the creation of a science fiction writer who was convicted and sentence to jail for fraud. Takes a special kind of bonkers to be brainwashed by L.Ron Hubbard.

jumping tom cruise GIF

I actually think it takes people how have discovered how to psychologically manipulate people either by careful study or by trial and error for centuries to be able to pull this off. People are drawn into believing these things slowly over time, being persuaded of a little bit more without noticing how far they have actually gone. Or alternatively passing on the belief system to children who do not have a capacity to question, but by the time they are grown up it becomes part of their makeup and hard to reject. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
12 hours ago, Golactico said:

When is it?

The Western Christian churches use Dec 25th, which was previously the date of the Roman festival Natalis Solis Invicti, but the Eastern Orthodox churches use Jan 6th. Additionally, most evidence points to the year of Jesus' birth as being 5bc.

51 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

The Western Christian churches use Dec 25th, which was previously the date of the Roman festival Natalis Solis Invicti, but the Eastern Orthodox churches use Jan 6th. Additionally, most evidence points to the year of Jesus' birth as being 5bc.

Thanks. I had a feeling that the picture was somewhat confused. In the absence of a shred of evidence that JC was born at this time of year, seems more logical to tie our celebrations to actual historically verifiable events. Happy Saturnalia, one and all!

I am merely celebrating because it is cold outside and it is nice to do something to cheer us all up when it is dark out for so much of the day. Which made up entity being responsible does not matter to me. Because of course we should all really be self castrating ourselves as followers of Attis.

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, whelk said:

Desperate to believe anything but the truth. God bless you Matthew

I will believe anything if the evidence supports it/is demonstratable/repeatable, I'm not close minded.

What is the 'truth' you are saying I don't believe in? And how can you prove it to be the 'truth'?

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

@Turkish has seemingly in another thread finally admitted he believes in a God. I wonder which one and why he picked that one? 

Interesting that rather than use the thread in question to show you’re condolences about the death of a baby you’re trying to use it to goad me. Says a lot about you. 

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Interesting that rather than use the thread in question to show you’re condolences about the death of a baby you’re trying to use it to goad me. Says a lot about you. 

Not goading, until that point you refused to say you believed in a God or not. I'm now intrigued as to which one and why you picked that one out of the tens of thousands of Gods you could have picked.

There is no point in showing condolences on that thread. Those concerned are extremely unlikely to be reading through threads on Saints web forum.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not goading, until that point you refused to say you believed in a God or not. I'm now intrigued as to which one and why you picked that one out of the tens of thousands of Gods you could have picked.

There is no point in showing condolences on that thread. Those concerned are extremely unlikely to be reading through threads on Saints web forum.

Why your first thought on a thread about a baby dying was which god one of the posters on the thread picked is pretty odd.