• Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Shane Long
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg
    • Michael Obafemi

28 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

But it's a bit of a "if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle" argument, though, because we DO have Danny Ings and therefore have a potent goalscoring weapon.

How is your Auntie since the op?

Thought it was a good game.

They of course had to throw everything at it and McCarthy pulled off s couple of smart saves (his distribution was woeful).  Thought on play, they were the better side until we scored.  Ings is just an amazing player.  Thought Vestergaard was terrible in the 1st half.

2nd half was better from us (kind of our thing) and we controlled the ball / play more.  Still, they went for it (as you would expect).  We had the chances/patterns of play to put this game to bed early in the 2nd half.  Redmond missed a golden chance and Ings attempted a disgraceful penalty.  Vestergaard much better 2nd half, that was more so due to Bournemouth going more direct.  

KwP was brilliant tthoughout

Hilarious end to the game as I thought the missed chances bit us in the arse but Adams finished nicely - LOL

McCarthy 7 - A few smart save, good in the air, woeful distribution and fumbled the goal that was ruled out.

KwP 9 - Brilliant.  Will be a huge disappointment if we do not sign him permenantly

Stephens 8 - Nice game

Vest 6 - woeful 1st half, better 2nd as they went long.  He is just appalling with the ball.  Would be awesome in the current Burnley side or any Big Sam team

Bertrand 8 - good game

Armstrong 6 - Decent

Redmond 7 - Decent on the ball, terrible choices at times.  Should have put Ings through in the 1st half and should have scored

JwP 7 - Good game, industrious, better in the 2nd half

Rom 7 - As above

Ings 8 - brilliant again but for that appalling penalty.  It was a truly pathetic attempt

Long 6 - meh

Hoj 6 - Did a good job when on

Adams 7 - yes. tidy finish

Obafemi 6 - for the assist but only on a short while

All in all, a good day at the office. I just wish we could put a few more chances away when we are on top in games.  Not sure how their keeper was MoM? The Redmond effort was a good save but the penalty was easy, just had to fall the right way.

LOL at Bournemouth fans though!!!

Edited by Batman

I voted for KWP as MOTM but the last few games have also been a reminder of just how good Bertie is when he's on it - both in defence and attack. That little pass in to Oba at the end, when most players would have gone for the corner flag, created the goal - and he's had some big Prem names in his pocket over the last few weeks. 

I think we often take him for granted - he's one of those we won't realise how good he is until he's gone. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, adrian lord said:

I hope we sign KWP. Very good game today, getting better every match, and is exceptionally elegant to watch on the move, real class.

The lock down had a silver lining - all saints  games on TV since restart

I fully agree with this sentiment all the way from my being  exile in Scotland since I moved up here for family reasons. He is  a real gem and heads well for a small chap

Haven't seen it mentioned in this thread yet, but the xG on Ings' effort was 0.05.

Which (regardless of what you feel about use of stats in analysis) boils down to 'he made something of nothing'.

I think that's part of what makes Danny so potent - you don't have to feed it to him on a plate. Give him the ball around the box and he's more than capable of crafting it into a chance.

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Inga cocked up a penalty in pre season with the same stuttering run up. It was so bad that the keeper just stood there and picked it up. I thought then that letting him take pens was a bit risky. At least the miss yesterday wasn't crucial.

It's no coincidence to me that the best penalty takers are the likes of Beattie, Le Tiss and Ricky Lambert.  They know what they are going to do, they take a proper run up, none of the stuttering, stopping crap.  I've never understood how anyone can strike a ball cleanly if you stop/pause mid run up.

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Finally got a result backing the team with a $10 bet at the TAB (NZ equivalent to a bookie or Ladbrookes). I've never bet against them but lost shilling a few too many times in the last two seasons when I was a bit over-confident.  Won $17. Now only about $300 down.🤑

I always wondered what the TAB was....I saw a few more in Australia than I did in NZ but now I do...cheers.

49 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

I always wondered what the TAB was....I saw a few more in Australia than I did in NZ but now I do...cheers.

The Totalisator Agency Board, universally shortened to TAB or T.A.B., is the name given to monopoly totalisator organisations in Australia and New Zealand. They were originally government owned, but in Australia most have been privatised.

8 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

The Totalisator Agency Board, universally shortened to TAB or T.A.B., is the name given to monopoly totalisator organisations in Australia and New Zealand. They were originally government owned, but in Australia most have been privatised.

Ah, I see now!....Walking down George Street in Sydney I saw loads. Saw a couple down Queen street in Auckland too. Thanks for clearing that one up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I watched the NBC stream: it was Matt Holland, they talked about Matt's connection with Ipswich and how "Ipswich God" Mick Mills played for Saints in the 1980s and how that would be exciting for the young Matt.

The chronology didn't quite work because Matt then started talking about Jimmy Case who I would say was slightly later than Mills. But that was more to do with Peter Drury burbling on.

Anyway, Robbie Mustoe has no link to Ipswich.

Mills and Case played together in the last 10 or so games of the 84/85 season, after Case signed, before Mills left to become player-manager of Stoke.

3 minutes ago, Lets B Avenue said:

Mills and Case played together in the last 10 or so games of the 84/85 season, after Case signed, before Mills left to become player-manager of Stoke.

Yeah, that's what I got for having a dodgy connection. I only heard him talking about Shilton being great; I didn't hear the Mills reference or I'd have known he was specifically talking about Ipswich. Mustoe is signed to NBC but he's not on their commentators line up so where I got that I'm not sure.

18 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Redmond very frustrating to be honest.

He's always hesitated in terms of taking players on, it's a part of his game he's never really been able to shake off. Not entirely sure why.

His passing has been dreadful too, and let's not talk about his finishing. He does have good ability on the ball and his pace helps us up the pitch and causes a threat, 100%, but he really needs to improve the final key elements of his game otherwise we will be forced to look elsewhere.

At least he rarely gets injured . He played a blinder when we played MAN U in  the  league cup final during Puel's reign, Didn't get in the English squad that year?

2 hours ago, Batman said:

Thought it was a good game.

They of course had to throw everything at it and McCarthy pulled off s couple of smart saves (his distribution was woeful).  Thought on play, they were the better side until we scored.  Ings is just an amazing player.  Thought Vestergaard was terrible in the 1st half.

2nd half was better from us (kind of our thing) and we controlled the ball / play more.  Still, they went for it (as you would expect).  We had the chances/patterns of play to put this game to bed early in the 2nd half.  Redmond missed a golden chance and Ings attempted a disgraceful penalty.  Vestergaard much better 2nd half, that was more so due to Bournemouth going more direct.  

KwP was brilliant tthoughout

Hilarious end to the game as I thought the missed chances bit us in the arse but Adams finished nicely - LOL

McCarthy 7 - A few smart save, good in the air, woeful distribution and fumbled the goal that was ruled out.

KwP 9 - Brilliant.  Will be a huge disappointment if we do not sign him permenantly

Stephens 8 - Nice game

Vest 6 - woeful 1st half, better 2nd as they went long.  He is just appalling with the ball.  Would be awesome in the current Burnley side or any Big Sam team

Bertrand 8 - good game

Armstrong 6 - Decent

Redmond 7 - Decent on the ball, terrible choices at times.  Should have put Ings through in the 1st half and should have scored

JwP 7 - Good game, industrious, better in the 2nd half

Rom 7 - As above

Ings 8 - brilliant again but for that appalling penalty.  It was a truly pathetic attempt

Long 6 - meh

Hoj 6 - Did a good job when on

Adams 7 - yes. tidy finish

Obafemi 6 - for the assist but only on a short while

All in all, a good day at the office. I just wish we could put a few more chances away when we are on top in games.  Not sure how their keeper was MoM? The Redmond effort was a good save but the penalty was easy, just had to fall the right way.

LOL at Bournemouth fans though!!!

who else could have played in Vesty's place Sunday ?

20 minutes ago, iansums said:

Not quite sure why Vestergaard would be suited to Burnley or Big Sam, in training matches yes but not when they play Man City.

It may be my own bias, but Burnley or a Big Sam team do not tend to play out from the back, probably do not expect their defenders to be nimble on the ball....we kind of do as we use our keeper as a sweeper in many cases and pass around the back line a fair bit as our fullbacks push on...much like Hoj (and others) like to pass backwards.......

That is where vest is pretty crap...pretty good in the air but ask to play....not good at all

Edited by Batman

Brilliant win yet again making it a record 9 away wins for the season! 

The whole team again played very well and Ings, KWP, Bertrand, Stephens and McCarthy all immense again. Ings is just completely on another level - we are very very lucky to have him and Adams took his goal very well too after a great ball to him by Obafemi- I'm chuffed for Che to get his second goal now for us :) another assist for Redmond too :)

Hoping we can now finish the season on a high with a win at Home on Sunday to get 11th.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 2

Watching the highlights, it's mentioned that the VAR decision on the penalty took a minute and a half before the ref received the instruction in his ear-piece and stopped play  for the penalty to be taken.  Does anyone know what happens to that lost time?  Would a minute and a half have been added to the playing time at the end of 90 minutes?

With the controversy  over VAR, I wonder what would happen if there were to be a significant second incident while VAR was assessing the first one.  Would a goal; be disallowed, or a sending-off rescinded?  Presumably these possibilities have been considered but when such an event occurs in a packed stadium, I wonder what the consequences might be. 

Pretty sure this is what happened at Turf Moor........poor old Bournemouth scored but overturned for a penalty to Burnley at the other end!

21 minutes ago, Professor said:

Watching the highlights, it's mentioned that the VAR decision on the penalty took a minute and a half before the ref received the instruction in his ear-piece and stopped play  for the penalty to be taken.  Does anyone know what happens to that lost time?  Would a minute and a half have been added to the playing time at the end of 90 minutes?

With the controversy  over VAR, I wonder what would happen if there were to be a significant second incident while VAR was assessing the first one.  Would a goal; be disallowed, or a sending-off rescinded?  Presumably these possibilities have been considered but when such an event occurs in a packed stadium, I wonder what the consequences might be.