• James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Shane Long
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg
    • Michael Obafemi

We should have been out of sight before we gave Boscombe a sniff of a point towards the end, but a delightful win none-the-less.

Good to see Adams doing a mighty fine  Danny Ings impression at the end there. Carbon copy :)

Voted for KWP as man of the match, even though Ings probably deserves it every single game.

That puts us 4th in the form table since the November break. 

Would it be mad of me to predict a top half finish next season...? :)

Screenshot_20200719-162739.png

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, markr27 said:

Phew, Thankfully Gosling didn't score! He shouldn't have been allowed to come on as Bournemouth had already made their three permitted substitution breaks (Harry Wilson 45,  Solanke and Cook 70 and Surridge 82).

Imagine the kerfuffle if he had actually done something!

Half time doesn't count as one of the sub windows.

6 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

My lad and I were very pleased at the result (ironically I was quite nervous through the game) but had to feel a tad sorry for Bournemouth being denied by VAR having suffered a number of injuries.
We could imagine if that had happened to us.
Meantime what a fantastic recovery from the Leicester game and the record beating away form especially from the 1st day Burnley debacle.

That is why VAR is for.

we have been too often on the wrong end of incorrect decisions. 
Do not feel sorry one bit for Bournemouth.

Howe spent a lot of money there and could not get them To the requiered lrvel with that level of money.

Solanke Ibe were bought for loads of money.

They ll struggle next if they go down as no more prem money and they ll have trouble getting rid of some average players on prem money

It just feels so good to be a Saints fan at the moment. Great to tweek the noses of the big boys and grind out results elsewhere. If it seems that we are getting a bit of luck it is because we have earned every bit of it. Ralph doing a fantastic job. But why didn't Danny just belt it? 

31 minutes ago, Saint Pete said:

Get that Redmond is frustrating and he's not in his best form at present. But folks should keep in mind that he is still at the heart of much of our good attacking play and I think he's still a key player who we miss when he's not out there. He still has assists for the Ings goals in last couple of games. But probably needs a rest given the number of games lately and expect he would have been given one if we had Djenepo or Boufal available.

Great to see a good finish from Adams at the end. Signs that he is growing in confidence now.

We simply don't have a fit replacement for Redmond available. Only he and JWP of the outfielders have played every minute since the restart.

• Like 1

Well we made hard work of that game, but a fair scoreline in the end. Pleased for Adams, good shimmy and finish for his goal, but did little else. Ings class strike again, followed by an inexplicably poor penalty. I have to say Bournemouth were very poor, playing league one football for most of the game, and deserve to go down. Despite being a local club I've no feelings either way, I admire what EH has done over the past few seasons but I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped even further down the leagues if they don't win at Everton.

Thought Vest had a good game, usually the fall guy on here but he was solid enough coping with their aerial game quite well.

Our form since the "restart" has been outstanding, I feel we are a couple of decent signings away from being a solid top 10 club.

1st Half the Bournemouth game plan was to hit those channels and expose JV. 2nd half we addressed that a lot better. More comfortable and should have been out of sight before the injury time drama.

Hope we can finish the season with a win and then look at some good recruitment in the TW.

Good to see we didn't need Ings on the pitch to get the 2nd as well :)

7 minutes ago, stevegrant said:

Didn't hear that, but it would certainly be true - we had a 7-7-7 record in 83/84, 28 points.

It's also our biggest overall points total since Koeman left and the 6 match unbeaten run is one of our best ever final run-ins in the top flight. If we don't lose our final game, it will be our 4th best in 43 seasons at the top:

1983/84 10 match unbeaten run (6 wins, 4 draws)
2015/16 6 match unbeaten run (5 wins, 1 draw)
1986/87 9 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 6 draws)
1988/89 6 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 3 draws)
1998/99 5 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 2 draws)

It's certainly a great finish to the season and we did better against Bournemouth today than Spurs, Leicester and Man City did in their last 3 games.

Probably should have scored 4 but all the misses were worth it because they contributed to that hilarious final few minutes.

Would have been a proper good away end today. 

Thought McCarthy was very good apart from the spillage in the build up to their non-goal. Made a few decent saves and dealt with everything launched into the box.

Please sign Walker-Peters. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kyle04 said:

Well we made hard work of that game, but a fair scoreline in the end. Pleased for Adams, good shimmy and finish for his goal, but did little else. Ings class strike again, followed by an inexplicably poor penalty. I have to say Bournemouth were very poor, playing league one football for most of the game, and deserve to go down. Despite being a local club I've no feelings either way, I admire what EH has done over the past few seasons but I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped even further down the leagues if they don't win at Everton.

Thought Vest had a good game, usually the fall guy on here but he was solid enough coping with their aerial game quite well.

Our form since the "restart" has been outstanding, I feel we are a couple of decent signings away from being a solid top 10 club.

Vestergaard is clearly a flawed player but he was actually suited to this sort of game. Won lots in the air. Whoever we buy to replace I hope they have that element too.

Don't mind Bournemouth. Hope they beat everton last game. If that saves them that's fine by me.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Vestergaard is clearly a flawed player but he was actually suited to this sort of game. Won lots in the air. Whoever we buy to replace I hope they have that element too.

Don't mind Bournemouth. Hope they beat everton last game. If that saves them that's fine by me.

And would help to keep Everton below us.  That would be a nice result.

25 minutes ago, Manuel said:

And would help to keep Everton below us.  That would be a nice result.

My dream scenario now is Watford lose both games, Bournemouth beat Everton, Villa get a point against Arsenal then a 98th min winner v West Ham, and stay up.

Feared for us when I saw Vestergaard in the line up, but by and large he did ok. Although I still can get over the amount of times he’s outjumped. Both full backs excellent again, keeper looked solid as well. 

Should have been done & dusted earlier, but the VAR call funny as fuck. Don’t like penalties like that, I know it’s the modern way, but I prefer they pick a spot and drive the ball into it. If the keeper makes a great save, so be it. 

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Don’t like penalties like that, I know it’s the modern way, but I prefer they pick a spot and drive the ball into it. If the keeper makes a great save, so be it. 

I just think the percentages in that kind of scenario is down the middle. Relegation threatened keeper isn't going to stand still.

What you don't do is stare to a corner making it pretty obvious you aren't going to that side in reality.

• Like 2

Did our best to throw that away, and should've been out of sight but for wasteful finishing. Could feel that equaliser coming, good old VAR. 

Redmond is infuriating - slows it down when we're in good attacking positions and is scared of shooting when in good positions. Confidence issue?? 

Solid back four today and JV was pretty good. Some nice periods of play and decent passing. KWP motm for me. 

Edited by Viking Saint
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Feared for us when I saw Vestergaard in the line up, but by and large he did ok. Although I still can get over the amount of times he’s outjumped. Both full backs excellent again, keeper looked solid as well. 

Should have been done & dusted earlier, but the VAR call funny as fuck. Don’t like penalties like that, I know it’s the modern way, but I prefer they pick a spot and drive the ball into it. If the keeper makes a great save, so be it. 

Yeah, I can never understand why a quality finisher like Ings doesn't trust his ball striking technique enough that he can score from a penalty by just picking his spot and putting it there with a good strike, just as he does in open play. Just don't like all this stutter run up shite, often seems to confuse the taker more than the keeper, certainly did in Ings case!

Sir Ricky had the right approach. Strike it well in the right place and the keeper ain't stopping it!

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

He did win lots in the air when balls were being launched in towards the end but he gets beaten to flick ons a lot, often by players who are a lot shorter than him.  He also gets turned very easily.  That said, this was probably one of his better games.

If Bournemouth had drawn against us, would it really have changed as much as they were celebrating like?

The scenario still would have been a must win at Goodison Park against Everton. 

I suppose its more the psychological side of things I guess. 

I take no joy from that. Really wanted Bournemouth to stay up.

From our perspective, the Ché Adams goal was moment of the match, a really cute bit of play and great finish. So important for us to have another striker firing. It was a routine victory, professionally done.

5 minutes ago, nta786 said:

If Bournemouth had drawn against us, would it really have changed as much as they were celebrating like?

A draw today for them would mean a Watford draw on Tuesday wouldn't relegate them.... today's defeat does mean they can go down on Tuesday!

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Deserved win. Really funny way to finish the game, he was so obviously offside from the very first replay of the goal. 

Redmond is really frustrating. Djenepo would be ahead of him for me if he was fit. 

To be fair to Redmond he's made both of Ings last two goals

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Watford only need a point now. 

Whereas had Boscombe drawn today & then beat Everton ,  they’d have needed to beat one of city or arsenal. Watford could even lose both, and stay up on goal difference despite Boscombe beating Everton. The 0 points also gives Villa a sniff as well. 

Decent win. Should've been comfortably ahead before the injury time chaos. KWP outstanding and Ingsy took his goal well before that iffy pen. Led the line superbly too. Adams looked lively and took his goal very well too. Shame the season is ending really. And nice to see the BT faces as disappointed as those from Bompey. 

The good news, as far as I'm concerned and assuming Bournemouth are down, is that my two longest journeys to matches (again, assuming we ever get to go again) have gone for next season. The trip to St Mary's will once again he further for me than any away game.

43 minutes ago, Cabrone said:

What a job Ralph has done, Europe next season?

If we can maintain our form of the last two thirds of this season for the majority of next season then we'll finish top 4 or thereabouts. "If" being the operative word of course :)

Edited by trousers

Feel a little bit bad for Bournemouth but I think we didnt look in trouble at any particular point.

Really like KWP and thought he was excellent today as was Armstrong. Redmond drives me nuts....why wont he try and penetrate a back four. He always stops, does a couple of rollovers then checks back. I think he holds back some of our attacking momentum.

Properly chuffed for Adams who I also really like and hope he does well for us....really think he offers something allround......and, ohhhh Ingsy........

4 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Redmond drives me nuts....why wont he try and penetrate a back four. He always stops, does a couple of rollovers then checks back. I think he holds back some of our attacking momentum.

We won 2-0, Redmond got the assist for the first goal. Isn't that attacking momentum? 😉🤔

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

We won 2-0, Redmond got the assist for the first goal. Isn't that attacking momentum?

Yup fair enough, and the pass the other night, but do you really not agree that he checks in too much ?

Its fine to point out the times when its gone right....but how many more times do you think something would have come off if he'd acted a little quicker or been a little more direct. I think he lacks a really good footballers brain. Thats just my opinion mate.

Looked ok, not as fluid as previous games but we still should have made it more comfortable than it was.

Bournemouth didn't seem to have any real idea on how to play, it was a mixture of long balls up to small centre forwards/wingers, or passing into the box only to lose it. A very confused performance from Bournemouth, but we did keep them at arms length really.

Most of Bournemouth's opportunities came from the inside left, which is Vestergaards's area - he was dreadful once again.

KWP though, he has changed the dynamic of this team on the right side so much. He has so much energy, so much pace and belief. He's still raw in certain area's of his game, which is why I'd have question marks if the price is too high on him.

Overall, a pretty standard premier league win over a very, very confused and poor side.

5 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Yup fair enough, and the pass the other night, but do you really not agree that he checks in too much ?

Its fine to point out the times when its gone right....but how many more times do you think something would have come off if he'd acted a little quicker or been a little more direct. I think he lacks a really good footballers brain. Thats just my opinion mate.

Yep, what makes Redmond more frustrating than a lot of players is that one minute he's top class and the next he's fluffing his lines. That said, and to quote an often used SWF phrase: "if he was consistently top notch then he wouldn't be playing for Saints..."

On balance though, I think his pros outweigh his cons

• Like 1