• Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Shane Long
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg
    • Michael Obafemi

Redmond very frustrating to be honest.

He's always hesitated in terms of taking players on, it's a part of his game he's never really been able to shake off. Not entirely sure why.

His passing has been dreadful too, and let's not talk about his finishing. He does have good ability on the ball and his pace helps us up the pitch and causes a threat, 100%, but he really needs to improve the final key elements of his game otherwise we will be forced to look elsewhere.

21 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, what makes Redmond more frustrating than a lot of players is that one minute he's top class and the next he's fluffing his lines. That said, and to quote an often used SWF phrase: "if he was consistently top notch then he wouldn't be playing for Saints..."

On balance though, I think his pros outweigh his cons

:)

its a tricky one isnt it. We want our players to be good.......but not too good.

52 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Most of Bournemouth's opportunities came from the inside left, which is Vestergaards's area - he was dreadful once again.

No, don’t see that, I thought Bournemouth played to his strength by lobbing everything into the middle. He was very good in the air and made at least two great interceptions. I thought he did well.

Surprised about the positive vibes for Vestergaard. I thought he was poor and liable to give them a goal. It was his dithering that caused the long throw they nearly equalised from. He's just a bit too slow to react for the PL.

11 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

No, don’t see that, I thought Bournemouth played to his strength by lobbing everything into the middle. He was very good in the air and made at least two great interceptions. I thought he did well.

To be honest, given his height, I'd expect him to win most in the air by default. He did still lose a few headers though.

On the ball and positionally he wasn't great, as per. He doesn't react to danger quick enough for me, seems like 3 yards behind the game in his head all the time - and it doesn't help that he has no pace to recover with either!

11 minutes ago, benjii said:

Surprised about the positive vibes for Vestergaard. I thought he was poor and liable to give them a goal. It was his dithering that caused the long throw they nearly equalised from. He's just a bit too slow to react for the PL.

Yes, exactly. He seems to dither in his head way too much, he's very reactive rather than proactive in his positioning and given that he has no pace then he can't really react most of the time, this is a constant from him. On the ball, and off the ball.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

To be honest, given his height, I'd expect him to win most in the air by default. He did still lose a few headers though.

On the ball and positionally he wasn't great, as per. He doesn't react to danger quick enough for me, seems like 3 yards behind the game in his head all the time - and it doesn't help that he has no pace to recover with either!

Heading’s as much about anticipating the trajectory and positioning as it is about height, so you have to give him some credit. Chris Perry used to win a fair few headers for us and he was about 5’9". Contrast through with Darren Powell who was a good 6’2" and useless.

Not that I rate Vest, just saying.

1 hour ago, Hawkswood said:

:)

its a tricky one isnt it. We want our players to be good.......but not too good.

That’s why JWP is great. He’s good enough so he’s a top player for us but s*it enough not many clubs better than us will want him, especially for what he’d cost. If we had a team of 8 of those plus 3 players we can sell for top money every couple of years and repeat we’d be in a great place. Ings is probably the only one who ticks that box right now.  That’s why the PEH situation is so amusing he’s not even our best midfielder, maybe his 40 yard passes to no one will find a teammate at spurs but I doubt it.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

McCarthy (8) - Very solid once again. He's a very good shot stopper, not so good at kicking though.

KWP (9) - We need to sign this lad. I was a little sceptical when he first joined but he gives us so much energy down the right and for his size he seems to get stuck in a fair bit. Man of the match for me.

Stephens (7) - Had a slightly nervy start but felt he grew into the game and was pretty solid.

Vestergaard (5) - He was bordering on diabolical during that first half. Slow, rash, struggled in the air despite his size. Second half he did improve and put in a potential goal saving block.

Bertrand (8) - He's been top class since the restart. Just so dependable. He does very well for the second goal.

Romeu (7) - Solid as usual, albeit I wish he would stop trying these ambitious diagonal balls when he's not very good at them. 

JWP (7) - I thought he had a better game today than against Brighton. His passing was better and actually wins more headers than he seems to get credit for.

Armstrong (7) - A decent game again, seems like a player you will generally get 7/10 from every week. Tired a bit towards the end but what do you expect after this run of games.

Redmond (6) - Overall I thought he had a poor game. He did get the assist for the goal but it wasn't really a tricky pass. I think his finishing and decision making leaves a lot to be desired. He is actually decent going backwards and doesn't give up, so I'll give him that. Hopefully a bit of a break will help.

Long (7) - Shane put in a good shift. Held it up well, ran the channels and won flick ons. What he does best really. Sadly he's just not really a threat in the oppo's box.

Ings (8) - He just keeps on going. What an incredible professional. You just know when he turns inside the ball is going to arrow into the bottom corner. For some odd reason he didn't seem confident about the penalty at all.

Adams (7) - Another promising cameo. He holds it up well and is decent at linking the play, possibly a bit slow at decision making but a lovely finish at the end. 

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That’s why JWP is great. He’s good enough so he’s a top player for us but s*it enough not many clubs better than us will want him, especially for what he’d cost. If we had a team of 8 of those plus 3 players we can sell for top money every couple of years and repeat we’d be in a great place. Ings is probably the only one who ticks that box right now.  That’s why the PEH he’s not even our best midfielder, maybe his 40 yard passes to no one will find a teammate at spurs but I doubt it.

Totally agree with this

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Redmond very frustrating to be honest.

He's always hesitated in terms of taking players on, it's a part of his game he's never really been able to shake off. Not entirely sure why.

His passing has been dreadful too, and let's not talk about his finishing. He does have good ability on the ball and his pace helps us up the pitch and causes a threat, 100%, but he really needs to improve the final key elements of his game otherwise we will be forced to look elsewhere.

Was that not what the Pep arms round his shoulders chat as they left the pitch at City was reputedly all about?

2 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

Bit random this but I watched the game on NBC and I was listening to Robbie Mustoe. I had no idea he was a saints fan and was a saints mascot in the 84-85 season. But anyhow, this tweet is a thing of beauty, 

tweet.PNG

I heard the commentator say he was a Saints mascot & saints were trying to convince him to join them but didn't catch the commentators name. Was hoping he'd expand on his reason for not joining Saints.

On VAR, I know it's raised it's questions this season and there aren't universal fans - it annoys me in many ways, but the goal it intervened in today is exactly what it's there for.

That was a potentially huge goal at the bottom of the league, could have cost Watford or Villa millions if it came down to a point. It was a shit miss by the lino first off, but this is what VAR is for - clear and obvious errors and removing huge game changing/season defining official errors such as that.

Bournemouth will be sick, but the game will be much fairer if VAR is used like this.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

I heard the commentator say he was a Saints mascot & saints were trying to convince him to join them but didn't catch the commentators name. Was hoping he'd expand on his reason for not joining Saints.

Yeah, I think he was gloating a bit. I just did a quick wiki on him and he played for Oxford United's youth team the season after that so reasonably close I'd assume and not beyond the realms of possibility although the random draw from the Junior and then Young Saints probably hadn't started then for mascots.

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

On VAR, I know it's raised it's questions this season and there aren't universal fans - it annoys me in many ways, but the goal it intervened in today is exactly what it's there for.

That was a potentially huge goal at the bottom of the league, could have cost Watford or Villa millions if it came down to a point. It was a shit miss by the lino first off, but this is what VAR is for - clear and obvious errors and removing huge game changing/season defining official errors such as that.

Bournemouth will be sick, but the game will be much fairer if VAR is used like this.

Totally, but as you say, how on Earth did the lino miss such a clear offside in the first place...

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

Totally, but as you say, how on Earth did the lino miss such a clear offside in the first place...

Referee's assistants have been told not to flag for tight decisions and leave it to VAR for such incidents. It was only his leg offside so wasn't that clear, especially at full speed in a crowded box to see both the moment it left the head and where Wilson was at the same time.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Referee's assistants have been told not to flag for tight decisions and leave it to VAR for such incidents. It was only his leg offside so wasn't that clear, especially at full speed in a crowded box to see both the moment it left the head and where Wilson was at the same time.

Fair point

24 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

Yeah, I think he was gloating a bit. I just did a quick wiki on him and he played for Oxford United's youth team the season after that so reasonably close I'd assume and not beyond the realms of possibility although the random draw from the Junior and then Young Saints probably hadn't started then for mascots.

Pretty sure it was Matt Holland that was the co-com, he of course was ex Bournemouth.

23 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Also, at full speed, there may have been doubt from Lino's view of who had flicked on the throw, defender or attacker. Definitely a good example of what VAR is for.

KWP running full speed back from the halfway line when they broke down their right late second half AND somehow clearing the ball when it came into the box was v. impressive.

Also surely a foul when Ryan took an arm to the face and went down in our area not long before the end?

20 minutes ago, mikeyc said:

KWP running full speed back from the halfway line when they broke down their right late second half AND somehow clearing the ball when it came into the box was v. impressive.

Also surely a foul when Ryan took an arm to the face and went down in our area not long before the end?

Even if not a foul the ref should have stopped the game and it should have been our drop ball. Seems like that rule goes against us no matter what.

3 hours ago, adrian lord said:

I hope we sign KWP. Very good game today, getting better every match, and is exceptionally elegant to watch on the move, real class.

Yep - do like him. Just wondering though, is he that good or have we just had really poor RB's that an average one now looks great? One eyed man in the land of the blind and all that! Would any of the other rumoured targets be better?

Wouldn't pay more than 10M for him though - him plus 25M for PEH would be a great deal.

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

It wasn;t Robbie Mustoe.  It was Andy Townsend

8 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

It's also our biggest overall points total since Koeman left and the 6 match unbeaten run is one of our best ever final run-ins in the top flight. If we don't lose our final game, it will be our 4th best in 43 seasons at the top:

1983/84 10 match unbeaten run (6 wins, 4 draws)
2015/16 6 match unbeaten run (5 wins, 1 draw)
1986/87 9 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 6 draws)
1988/89 6 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 3 draws)
1998/99 5 match unbeaten run (3 wins, 2 draws)

It's certainly a great finish to the season and we did better against Bournemouth today than Spurs, Leicester and Man City did in their last 3 games.

Did we not have a 5-game winning streak under Glenn Hoddle?

6 hours ago, Hockey_saint said:

Bit random this but I watched the game on NBC and I was listening to Robbie Mustoe. I had no idea he was a saints fan and was a saints mascot in the 84-85 season. But anyhow, this tweet is a thing of beauty, 

tweet.PNG

That’s funny, because I was watching on Bein and Matt Holland was the co commentator and he said the same thing! He wasn’t a Saints fan but we were trying to persuade him to sign. Made him mascot and sorted him out with signed photos with Peter Shilton.

10 hours ago, Shroppie said:

Dropped in on the Cherries forum. They are mainly resigned to going down. Favourite quote aimed at one eternal optimist:

"You're clutching at straws like a masturbating scarecrow" 😂😂

Makes my day at work a lot nicer today. After the St Marys game the idiots were in full gloat mode.

While all fans are guilty in various degrees of such behaviours, or indeed enjoy a proper old meltdown, the Cherries fans (or more accurately the ones who've come onboard since their promotion to the PL) show a certain naivety if not stupidity..

I look forward to carefully explaining the offside rule and the implementation of VAR to them in detail, then cheering them up by saying its not likely to be used in the Champ next year.

Can anyone confirm the new Sub rules?

I though that Teams were allowed to introduce up to 5 subs but only at three points in the game.

Bornemouth Brought on Wilson at Half-time. Solanke and Cook at 69, Surridge at 82 and Gosling at 87. Ie at four points in the game. Thats obviously at 4 points. Does the Half time change not count or is it something else?

7 hours ago, cambsaint said:

Sorry for Bournemouth, both they and Norwich are decent well run small city clubs.

Increases the PL money is all that matters ethos.

Getting really fed up with the incessant inane commentator 9-0 drivel

Perhaps we’ll see over the next couple of years how well run they are, they’ve spent an awful lot of money on some pretty average players. I don’t wish them ill but things could get very difficult for them if they go down.

12 minutes ago, iansums said:

Perhaps we’ll see over the next couple of years how well run they are, they’ve spent an awful lot of money on some pretty average players. I don’t wish them ill but things could get very difficult for them if they go down.

Being relegated in the year parachute payments are being reduced due to the Covid malarky could push some to the limit if they've not been careful with contracts.

17 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Can anyone confirm the new Sub rules?

I though that Teams were allowed to introduce up to 5 subs but only at three points in the game.

Bornemouth Brought on Wilson at Half-time. Solanke and Cook at 69, Surridge at 82 and Gosling at 87. Ie at four points in the game. Thats obviously at 4 points. Does the Half time change not count or is it something else?

Half time changes don't count towards the 3 times. 

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Agreed, and I'm sure Brentford are sick that it isn't yet used in the Championship. The two penalty claims they had turned down on Saturday could cost them £80m.

7 hours ago, cambsaint said:

Sorry for Bournemouth, both they and Norwich are decent well run small city clubs.

Increases the PL money is all that matters ethos.

I would say Norwich and Bournemouth are polar opposites with regard to how "well run" they are.

2 good goals. Vestergard makes me feel nervous all the time. JWP was all over the place and KWP had a good game. Redmond seems loathe to get stuck in and looks as though he hopes the opposing player gets there first when competing for a ball. May be suffering from a lack of confidence still  since his injury and does not want to get down the line.

15 hours ago, Wes Tender said:

All credit to Ings this season but why on earth do penalty takers have to faff about mid-run before kicking the ball? I don't think that puts the goalie off at all but I feel that the penalty taker loses some momentum and often makes a muck up as Ings did yesterday. If he had scored he would be 1 goal behind that little twit Vardy. I do hope Ings hasn't shot himself in the foot. 

Inga cocked up a penalty in pre season with the same stuttering run up. It was so bad that the keeper just stood there and picked it up. I thought then that letting him take pens was a bit risky. At least the miss yesterday wasn't crucial.

10 hours ago, markr27 said:

Pretty sure it was Matt Holland that was the co-com, he of course was ex Bournemouth.

I was watching the NBC US one where it's Mustoe doing the commentary so I assumed it was him plus, 84? Matt Holland is a bit younger than that. - Nah, you're right...I don't where I got Mustoe from.

Edited by Hockey_saint

10 minutes ago, Hockey_saint said:

I was watching the NBC US one where it's Mustoe doing the commentary so I assumed it was him plus, 84? Matt Holland is a bit younger than that.

I watched the NBC stream: it was Matt Holland, they talked about Matt's connection with Ipswich and how "Ipswich God" Mick Mills played for Saints in the 1980s and how that would be exciting for the young Matt.

The chronology didn't quite work because Matt then started talking about Jimmy Case who I would say was slightly later than Mills. But that was more to do with Peter Drury burbling on.

Anyway, Robbie Mustoe has no link to Ipswich.

The sign of a good team is that it can play fairly poorly yet still dig out a win - a bit like Man U over the  years. This was Saints yesterday.

Seems teams can only break down our system by long balls over the top. Not very clever and boring as hell to watch. If this is all that Howe can offer then Bournemouth will do well to pension him off and start again. As it is they are going down and will not be back for quite a while.

Kyle Walker-Peters may well attract interest from other clubs in the close season and signing him on may not be the slam-dunk rescue-him-from-obscurity mission that we thought it might be. The lad looks good, very good and not only is he looking increasingly like International material but his price is going up by the match. What a pair of full backs we have. Are you watching Southgate?

A big shout out too for Romeu who characteristically played out of his skin yesterday. I just don't get why Ralph subbed him yet again at 75 mins when Hojbjerg offered us nothing new. Romeu is loyal, Hojbjerg is not. FFS work it out Ralph!

8 hours ago, musesaint said:

Pleased with today’s result but it should worry us all that without Ings we would probably be in or perilously close to the relegation zone ourselves!

Spot in comment.
Without Ings firing on all cylinders we would be relegated this season.
Unfortunately all three options ie Adams, Long and Obefami are bang on Championship standard.

28 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Spot in comment.
Without Ings firing on all cylinders we would be relegated this season.
Unfortunately all three options ie Adams, Long and Obefami are bang on Championship standard.

But it's a bit of a "if my auntie had balls she'd be my uncle" argument, though, because we DO have Danny Ings and therefore have a potent goalscoring weapon.

Steve,
I cant disagree with your comment.
However I would argue that any Manager worth their salt would look at worst case scenarios (and I am sure Ralph and his team do) and would be concerned about goalscoring options if Danny Ings was injured.
Personally I would like to replace Adams and Long if we had the cash with a quick mobile forward (possibly left footed) and a Pelle type who would provide more options in the air.
However Long has been given an extended contract and I doubt we have the cash to splash out on additional forwards unless Che Adams is transferred.
Of course all this changes if one of the top clubs comes in with a top dollar offer which suits the club and Danny Ings,

• Like 1

Finally got a result backing the team with a $10 bet at the TAB (NZ equivalent to a bookie or Ladbrookes). I've never bet against them but lost shilling a few too many times in the last two seasons when I was a bit over-confident.  Won $17. Now only about $300 down.🤑

Edited by Jeremy
  • Haha 1