Ray Clemence

whelk

As a goalkeeper of no repute myself, he was one of the legends of my childhood. At a time of genuine goalkeeping talent (Corrigan, Southall, Parks) you had Clemence and Shilton who were head and shoulders above the others. Shilts was my real hero (hence my avatar), due to his saints connection, but in reality there was nothing between them,  if the other hadn't had been around the same time, both could easily have had 150 caps.

A true great. RIP.

39 minutes ago, Dimond Geezer said:

As a goalkeeper of no repute myself, he was one of the legends of my childhood. At a time of genuine goalkeeping talent (Corrigan, Southall, Parks) you had Clemence and Shilton who were head and shoulders above the others. Shilts was my real hero (hence my avatar), due to his saints connection, but in reality there was nothing between them,  if the other hadn't had been around the same time, both could easily have had 150 caps.

A true great. RIP.

Are there any current English keepers who will be legends like those 2?

9 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

Are there any current English keepers who will be legends like those 

That prompted me to find a list of keepers to see who's been around since Shilts. I think the only one to even get a sniff of "legendary " status would be Seaman. As for today's current crop, not a chance. Although I'd like to see no. 113 in the list get a decent crack.😉

http://www.englandfootballonline.com/TeamGkprs/GkprsChron.html

Clemence and Shilton, two great England keepers battling it out for the No1 jersey (as it alway was back then). I narrowly favoured Shilts, couldn’t get over that Hampden howler by Ray, despite Shilts guilty of worse at Wembley in ‘73 v Poland (while Jan Tomawotsname performing heroics down the other end!).

Great keeper, RIP Ray Clemence

Some phenomenal keepers around 1970s and early 1980s - Clemence, Shilts (loved watching for Saints), Parkes (would have been automatic England pick now before the knee trouble) but also Southall, Pat Jennings and slightly before, Bob Wilson. Clemence was ahead of his time in distribution and with his feet. Allison is decent but when was the last really great PL keeper since Schmichael and Seaman? De Gea and Cech had spells but not in the same calibre as the names above IMHO. Even Niemi was better than anyone around today. Kasper probably the best PL keeper now. 

5 hours ago, Dimond Geezer said:

A true great. RIP.

186 caps presumably as that is their aggregate. 

5 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Some phenomenal keepers around 1970s and early 1980s - Clemence, Shilts (loved watching for Saints), Parkes (would have been automatic England pick now before the knee trouble) but also Southall, Pat Jennings and slightly before, Bob Wilson. Clemence was ahead of his time in distribution and with his feet. Allison is decent but when was the last really great PL keeper since Schmichael and Seaman? De Gea and Cech had spells but not in the same calibre as the names above IMHO. Even Niemi was better than anyone around today. Kasper probably the best PL keeper now. 

Last quality keeper in the EPL.

RIP Clemence :(