40 Years ago Today

alehouseboys

He didn't actually sign for us on 11 Feb 1980 either, it was announced that he would sign and join us in the Summer of 1980. His transfer must have happened some time later. He actually made his debut on 23 July at Lansdowne Road in a friendly against Shamrock Rovers. 

So other than it wasn't 40 years ago today and he didn't sign, good shout. 🤣 

I have only a vague idea where I was 40 years ago today, probably working in Bracknell, but cannot be sure. I know 41 years ago today I was in Maryborough in Queensland but I may have been asleep by the time the announcement was made, probably did not hear about it until at least the next day, probably a while after that in them there pre-internet days.

4 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

He didn't actually sign for us on 11 Feb 1980 either, it was announced that he would sign and join us in the Summer of 1980. His transfer must have happened some time later. He actually made his debut on 23 July at Lansdowne Road in a friendly against Shamrock Rovers. 

So other than it wasn't 40 years ago today and he didn't sign, good shout. 🤣 

That really is worth a few MLG points from the higher end of the MLG spectrum.

Irrespective of the date he signed I think most of us around at the time will remember the day it was announced as something special in the club's history and worth the memory.

Thanks Alehouse, remember the day well and how it abruptly brought an end to studying/revision for the afternoon to listen to every sports news on the radio that afternoon. Main feature on the national news at 6pm, and bought four papers the next day to read up about it.

No internet or even Ceefax to pour over in those days of course. 

In terms of excitement over signings, nothing has come close since and sadly don't think it ever will.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Beat them four times that season, they must have been sick of the sight of us!

But I must say, that night was my favorite. Leaving the ground all singing 'on our way to wemb........'

Something very pure about those days, not like now. 

was an easy win, IIRC. Their manager had been going on about how we had disrespected them by celebrating the 1-0 win at their ground in the first leg, how they'd be up for the 2nd leg. We outclassed them, 3-1 i think. the thing that sticks in my mind was they only brought at 500 fans so we had pretty much all the Northam which was superb that night, full, loud and celebrating our first trip to Wembley since 1992.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

was an easy win, IIRC. Their manager had been going on about how we had disrespected them by celebrating the 1-0 win at their ground in the first leg, how they'd be up for the 2nd leg. We outclassed them, 3-1 i think. the thing that sticks in my mind was they only brought at 500 fans so we had pretty much all the Northam which was superb that night, full, loud and celebrating our first trip to Wembley since 1992.

Didn't we score after a minute ?

Yes - good atmosphere.

Been covered many times before on this forum but I never tire of reminiscing over this.

I was at my office at work. Large office of about 200 people. It started with me getting a phone call from my mum (not a football fan). Mum :"Have you heard", Me: "Heard what?" Mum: "Kevin Keegan has signed for Saints" I don't remember my exact response but I found it hard to believe her but my Mum does not lie. The rest of the afternoon was spent wandering around the office and everyone repeating the exact same words: "Have you heard?" Then everyone going home at the first opportunity to check it out on TV, Radio and any other means possible. It really was true. Southampton had arrived.

To those who don't remember or don't understand it was equivalent to Saints signing Lionel Messi or Christiano Ronaldo, not today but 5 years ago. Totally remarkable and nobody knew until that press conference.    

• Like 4

I was a Herald captain, landed at Southampton. Met by the BA SDO, a season ticket holder, Keegan had just flown in and met by LM etc. He was told there was a news conference at the Potters Heron at Ampfield later. Everything happened as he said.. The most exciting signing in my time. The current European footballer of the year signing for Saints on a FREE.

Edited by derry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Badger said:

That really is worth a few MLG points from the higher end of the MLG spectrum.

Irrespective of the date he signed I think most of us around at the time will remember the day it was announced as something special in the club's history and worth the memory.

Thanks Alehouse, remember the day well and how it abruptly brought an end to studying/revision for the afternoon to listen to every sports news on the radio that afternoon. Main feature on the national news at 6pm, and bought four papers the next day to read up about it.

No internet or even Ceefax to pour over in those days of course. 

In terms of excitement over signings, nothing has come close since and sadly don't think it ever will.

Unlike MLG my reply was meant to be humorous. Ceefax was definitely a thing by the way, 1974 it was launched. Of course we didn't have it on the Isle of Wight until much later 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, derry said:

I was a Herald captain, landed at Southampton. Met by the BA SDO, a season ticket holder, Keegan had just flown in and met by LM etc. He was told there was a news conference at the Potters Heron at Ampfield later. Everything happened as he said.. The most exciting signing in my time. The current European footballer of the year signing for Saints on a FREE.

I’m sure he wasn’t free. Maybe wrong, but I’m sure keegan negotiated a set fee to leave. 

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Unlike MLG my reply was meant to be humorous. Ceefax was definitely a thing by the way, 1974 it was launched. Of course we didn't have it on the Isle of Wight until much later 😉

Didn't realise about Ceefax although don't know anyone who had it or spoke about it then.

Fully accept your comment wasn't in MLG spirit...

58 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’m sure he wasn’t free. Maybe wrong, but I’m sure keegan negotiated a set fee to leave. 

£400,000 or £440,000 sticks in my mind. Think this was our joint or  record signing at the time, Osgood £275,000, and Charlie George £400,000. 

I was ski ing in Italy and there was a group of Watford fans in our hotel. One of them told me one morning in the queue for the ski lift that Keegan has signed for Saints.
Of course I didn't believe it and as there were no mobile phones or internet, I had to wait for the morning newspapers  to be delivered the next day to confirm the news.
They were exciting times which unfortunately me having to work most Saturdays so could really only see mid week games!!

3 hours ago, Toussaint said:

So, what would be the current equivalent statue of signing? Messi? 

Maybe Messi is rose tinted specs although Keegan was European Footballer of the Year twice before joining us so not far off. Current equivalents, personally I'd liken it to signing Gareth Bale whilst at his Real Madrid peak, without a single press/media/internet rumour that he even wanted to leave let alone  connected to us. Sadly there's probably not a possibility of that sort of surprise ever happening again at any club.

Edited by Wurzel
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, derry said:

His contract had had a clause of a return to Liverpool, They chose not to exercise it and he joined us for £420,000 written into his contract,

I remember reading that we had to seek Liverpool's agreement to Keegan signing for us as they still held his registration in England. To their credit they kept quiet on this without leaking to the press as that would have spoiled the impact of his signing for us. 

I remember it so well, my mum was waiting for me outside of school, which was unusual. She had driven over to tell me about Keegan, I dismissed it and all the way home I insisted that she must have heard it wrong and it would have been Kevin Keelan, the ageing Norwich keeper. My mum's gone now and it remains a brilliant memory.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I’d have said Beckham after a couple of seasons in Madrid. 

I said Bale, but Beckham probably a better shout. Similar on field status but Keegan was probably more like Beckham than Bale off the field as Englands biggest sporting media star at the time - advertising Brut (has that really just has a relaunch?) , hit single, falling off his bike on Superstars  etc.

Edited by Wurzel

21 hours ago, Wurzel said:

I said Bale, but Beckham probably a better shout. Similar on field status but Keegan was probably more like Beckham than Bale off the field as Englands biggest sporting media star at the time - advertising Brut (has that really just has a relaunch?) , hit single, falling off his bike on Superstars  etc.

My dad was the sports centre manager in Bath - when they did Superstars there - I walked around in a daze with all these sporting hero's around me (i was young!)

Wish they would bring back superstars but its all about the insurance and people getting injured - so it wont happen

After we moved to the IOW - Kevin Keegan singing for Saints was the reason I started supporting us :adore: