Coronavirus

whelk

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

As said up the thread I had mine today.

Personally as someone who qualifies as a home-working low risk 40-something I would have happily let every teacher nurse etc have it before me, but havivg been to a large scale vaccination centre today I understand why they didn't do the kind of classification and additional admin you're suggesting.

All of that fannying around with work IDs and documentation and paperwork would just interfere with the primary objective of vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Just get on with it. I saw today that is what is happening. I was in and out. I didn't need to justify my existence or upload documents to be cross checked and inspected. 

And, not to mention the inevitable tiering that would come in - are Dinner ladies working for Sodexo not as worthy as professional teachers, someone working all day in a Co-Op deprioritised vs a mainly home based school administrator who can flash an NUT card about etc etc. The sharp elbowed middle classes would happily push aside the bus drivers, shop staff and cleaners.

It's not perfect, but I get why they've done it like this.

I agree mostly. The first priority, rightly, was simply to get highly vulnerable people vaccinated as quickly as possible. But once you get into the below 50 and healthy group other factors besides how likely you are to die come into play. Adding a group of security guards checking IDs to an already existing operation wouldn't slow things down.       

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

They manage to do it in the US, in California for example, people in occupations with a high chance of exposure (including teachers and the police) are in the same group as the over 65s. Now we have got to the stage where we are vaccinating 40 something print cartridge salesmen, it makes sense to me to prioritise certain professions.

How are they going to print out prescriptions or vaccine certs if no doctors or hospitals  have any ink or paper in their printers? You haven’t though it through have you Mr Thicko

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

As said up the thread I had mine today.

Personally as someone who qualifies as a home-working low risk 40-something I would have happily let every teacher nurse etc have it before me, but havivg been to a large scale vaccination centre today I understand why they didn't do the kind of classification and additional admin you're suggesting.

All of that fannying around with work IDs and documentation and paperwork would just interfere with the primary objective of vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Just get on with it. I saw today that is what is happening. I was in and out. I didn't need to justify my existence or upload documents to be cross checked and inspected. 

And, not to mention the inevitable tiering that would come in - are Dinner ladies working for Sodexo not as worthy as professional teachers, someone working all day in a Co-Op deprioritised vs a mainly home based school administrator who can flash an NUT card about etc etc. The sharp elbowed middle classes would happily push aside the bus drivers, shop staff and cleaners.

It's not perfect, but I get why they've done it like this.

Good post. The government has kept this simple, and that's one of the reasons it's worked so efficiently. Faffing about with work related criteria and/or ID would have made it less efficient and divisive. 

The government have got a lot wrong, but they've got this right. 

• Like 3

Just now, egg said:

Good post. The government has kept this simple, and that's one of the reasons it's worked so efficiently. Faffing about with work related criteria and/or ID would have made it less efficient and divisive. 

The government have got a lot wrong, but they've got this right. 

Agreed. It’s hilarious how some on here can’t bring themselves to give the government any credit whatsoever, instead they’d rather invent scenarios about what they should have done. 30 fucking million people vaccinated, amazing. Yes Boris is still a prick and the tories (and labour) are mainly wankers bit round of applause for something I bet not a single person thought was possible back in January 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How are they going to print out prescriptions or vaccine certs if no doctors or hospitals  have any ink or paper in their printers? You haven’t though it through have you Mr Thicko

Was surprised when I got my vaccine that they had printed out paper with my name on clearly cut manually. Quite old school.

Just now, whelk said:

Was surprised when I got my vaccine that they had printed out paper with my name on clearly cut manually. Quite old school.

Without printer cartridge sales guys it would have slowed everything down. I don’t know any but credit to them too.

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Agreed. It’s hilarious how some on here can’t bring themselves to give the government any credit whatsoever, instead they’d rather invent scenarios about what they should have done. 30 fucking million people vaccinated, amazing. Yes Boris is still a prick and the tories (and labour) are mainly wankers bit round of applause for something I bet not a single person thought was possible back in January 

And whilst France have their ICUs at highest capacity ever. Always better to fuck up early and recover.

Just now, whelk said:

Turkish MBE?

As a wise man once said to me do something you’re passionate about and you’ll never work a day in your life. When you get that little bit of paper confirming youre now one of bill gates subjects think of me, for without me and my like that bit of paper with its clear crisp text telling you who you are might never have been in your ungrateful, sweaty little fingers 

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Yep, this vaccine rollout has been a monumental success. Sure, there's been errors galore, but the lack of gratitude from many is staggering. Give credit where its due. 

7 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, this vaccine rollout has been a monumental success. Sure, there's been errors galore, but the lack of gratitude from many is staggering. Give credit where its due. 

Seriously where are you finding the many who show lack of gratitude? Not one person I know has been anything but grateful and impressed. Literally not heard one gripe. I don’t count listening Head of Police Federation or Teaching Unions on the news but friends and work colleagues.

Edited by whelk

7 hours ago, buctootim said:

I agree mostly. The first priority, rightly, was simply to get highly vulnerable people vaccinated as quickly as possible. But once you get into the below 50 and healthy group other factors besides how likely you are to die come into play. Adding a group of security guards checking IDs to an already existing operation wouldn't slow things down.       

Why below 50? Why not below 60? or even 40?

Let me guess, now you have been vaccinated, it should NOW be opened up to treat people in a different order?

7 hours ago, egg said:

Shows what can be done when you use a public body like the NHS to run things.

A pity that local authorities who have track and tracing services in place weren't given that gig. Instead we had / have private companies costing a fortune and not providing a very good service.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, aintforever said:

They manage to do it in the US, in California for example, people in occupations with a high chance of exposure (including teachers and the police) are in the same group as the over 65s. Now we have got to the stage where we are vaccinating 40 something print cartridge salesmen, it makes sense to me to prioritise certain professions.

Brilliant post!  Your answer to how your cunning plan should be implemented is that 'they do it in the US', despite the fact that they don't actually do it in the US!

US priorities for vaccinations are :

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm695152e2.htm

On December 1, ACIP recommended that 1) health care personnel§ and 2) residents of long-term care facilities be offered COVID-19 vaccination first, in Phase 1a of the vaccination program

Approximately 49 million persons, including frontline essential workers (non–health care workers) and persons aged ≥75 years are recommended to receive vaccine in Phase 1b 

In Phase 1c, vaccine should be offered to persons aged 65–74 years, persons aged 16–64 years††† with medical conditions that increase the risk for severe COVID-19, and essential workers not previously included in Phase 1a or 1b

Phase 2 includes all other persons aged ≥16 years not already recommended for vaccination in Phases 1a, 1b, or 1c

Pretty similar to our own rollout wouldn't you say?  Can't see any mention of mental plans regarding work IDs - I guess the yoghurt knitters working for the local councils just expect everyone to have a work ID and haven't factored in the possibility that the majority of workers in the country don't actually have them!

8 hours ago, Plastic said:

No, but you clearly are. The point made by Weston was that 20 year olds are not at risk. 
You go ahead and hit that straw man though.

Really, I thought the point made was that they are at a lower risk of developing severe symptoms?

9 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Do you honestly think that a 20 something teacher is more at risk of developing severe symptoms than a 50 year old "housewife"?

The argument cuts both ways, but it's pretty obvious you cannot vaccinate all of the population at the same time, so you have to prioritise by risk (of potentially overwhelming the hospitals).

Nice try though.  Now, where's that man made of straw?

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Seriously where are you finding the many who show lack of gratitude? Not one person I know has been anything but grateful and impressed. Literally not heard one gripe. I don’t count listening Head of Police Federation or Teaching Unions on the news but friends and work colleagues.

Soggy has been particularly impressive in the last 12 months. He posted one of the least self aware things I’ve ever seen last week on TUI, see below 

This utter cretin who has spent the whole of the last year whinging, complaining, bashing the government every chance he gets for everything, slagging everyone off who As Donald Trump or Tommy Robinson fans who Don’t agree with his weird views across multiple forums has got the neck to now criticise other people for not coming together at this time, he has been the worst example of doing exactly the opposite, with his unique blend of a pious wokeness, superiority complex and utter stupidity making him one of the biggest dickheads I’ve ever come across in my forum career

“Human beings are strange creatures. If there was ever a time when we all needed to put aside our differences and come together for the sake of humanity, this it is. And what do we do? We squabble over vaccines. We squabbling over life saving measures like lockdowns and wearing masks. As Jonathan Pie put it so succinctly, we really are shit.”

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Brilliant post!  Your answer to how your cunning plan should be implemented is that 'they do it in the US', despite the fact that they don't actually do it in the US!

Pretty similar to our own rollout wouldn't you say?  Can't see any mention of mental plans regarding work IDs - I guess the yoghurt knitters working for the local councils just expect everyone to have a work ID and haven't factored in the possibility that the majority of workers in the country don't actually have them!

minnesota united own goal GIF by Univision Deportessurely not another stunning own goal from aintclever? :lol: 

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why below 50? Why not below 60? or even 40?

Let me guess, now you have been vaccinated, it should NOW be opened up to treat people in a different order?

Err. Maybe because vaccinating the 50 and over group has been the Government priority since the outset with the rest of the population "to be determined". Yeah maybe its that, Government policy.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Really, I thought the point made was that they are at a lower risk of developing severe symptoms?

So my question still stands then, why vaccinate 20 year old health staff early if the majority of the risk is carried by the elderly?

Personally, I believe the government was right to vaccinate them due to their obvious proximity to the virus, and therefore elevated risk. 
this is also why I believe school staff should be prioritised for vaccination now, despite the logistical concerns.

Separately, I’m pleased for all who have had the vaccine and think the government and specifically the NHS have done a great job.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

13 minutes ago, Turkish said:

minnesota united own goal GIF by Univision Deportessurely not another stunning own goal from aintclever? :lol: 

You two are are a pair of dense fuckers. It's literally there in black and white in the text you quoted. Frontline workers get a higher priority than most age groups - ie people below age 74. Can you really not process written information or are you so excited to be forum warriors that you blow your load without even thinking? 

On December 1, ACIP recommended that 1) health care personnel§ and 2) residents of long-term care facilities be offered COVID-19 vaccination first, in Phase 1a of the vaccination program (2). On December 20, 2020, ACIP recommended that in Phase 1b, vaccine should be offered to persons aged ≥75 years and frontline essential workers (non–health care workers), 
Edited by buctootim

12 minutes ago, buctootim said:

You two are are a pair of dense fuckers. It's literally there in black and white in the text you quoted. Frontline workers get a higher priority than most age groups - ie people below age 74. Can you really not process written information or are you so excited to be forum warriors that you blow your load without even thinking? 

On December 1, ACIP recommended that 1) health care personnel§ and 2) residents of long-term care facilities be offered COVID-19 vaccination first, in Phase 1a of the vaccination program (2). On December 20, 2020, ACIP recommended that in Phase 1b, vaccine should be offered to persons aged ≥75 years and frontline essential workers (non–health care workers), 

Do you know what adding a ? onto the end of a sentence means? Something about being so excited to be a forum warrior that you blow your load without even thinking. Oh dear Timmy, off to a flier today Mr Angry :lol: 

Edited by Turkish

18 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Err. Maybe because vaccinating the 50 and over group has been the Government priority since the outset with the rest of the population "to be determined". Yeah maybe its that, Government policy.  

I guess they have to be careful what they do with only one nurse per doctors surgery slamming the jab in peoples arms, aint that right Timmy?

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Do you know what adding a ? onto the end of a sentence means? Something about being so excited to be a forum warrior that your low your load without even thinking. Oh dear Timmy, off to a flier today Mr Angry :lol: 

Amazed not angry. A going to seed IT salesman and a pub manager trying to take the piss out of someone because he can read and they cant. It's comical, laughing at you not with you. 

Edited by buctootim

I guess they have to be careful what they do with only one nurse per doctors surgery slamming the jab in peoples arms, aint that right Timmy?

Yep you failed to understand the one too. Do yourself a favour - go back to shaving your head and taking your all natural non processed protein powder. It's all you can cope with. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Amazed not angry. A going to seed IT salesman and a pub manager trying to take the piss out of someone because he can read and they cant. It's comical, laughing at you not with you. 

I didn't read it, poor form from me admittedly but i'm so used to aintforver making himself look ridiculous i assumed it was another case, please forgive me Timmy. I love the way you try to bring peoples occupations into any discussion when you're getting upset, you still pushing those beds around the hospitals? Got to take it's toll at your age.

Edited by Turkish

1 minute ago, buctootim said:

Yep you failed to understand the one too. Do yourself a favour - go back to shaving your head and taking your all natural non processed protein powder. It's all you can cope with. 

Oh Timmys getting all personal this morning, you're like that spiteful little school girl when getting a little bit of a prodding aren't you. I do love a personal little dig from Timmy, someone who seems to know and relish knowing so much about someone they've never met on an internet forum. Weird. 

Oh Timmys getting all personal this morning, you're like that spiteful little school girl when getting a little bit of a prodding aren't you. I do love a personal little dig from Timmy, someone who seems to know and relish knowing so much about someone they've never met on an internet forum. Weird. 

I'd love to stick around and listen to you lecture more people on health policy, something you know absolutely zero about - but I have to go and conduct job interviews of candidates for a rabies vaccination programme in India and Malawi - funded by Bill and & Melinda Gates. Toodle pip. 

1 minute ago, buctootim said:

I'd love to stick around and listen to you lecture more people on health policy, something you know absolutely zero about - but I have to go and conduct job interviews of candidates for a rabies vaccination programme in India and Malawi - funded by Bill and & Melinda Gates. Toodle pip. 

Enjoy the shift, those beds aren't going to move themselves, great to see you've been promoted to team leader after all these years. Does that mean you you're in charge of matresses too?

There’s some areas of under 50s that it would be nice to prioritise. Emergency services, all nhs, shop workers and such like. That bit seems like it could be manageable for a small number of select industries, if a bit of a work up. Extending it to all of the general population seems like a minefield, how do you categorise it? The company I work for is in manufacturing, it’s a 50 50 split between WFH and can’t wfh (with a few like me who mostly go in but do a day or two from home).  We certainly don’t have any work ID that would identify the difference and it would be a massive work up getting thousands of companies around the country to fit in to what would have to be a complex priority system.

The current system will let some slightly higher risk wait longer than low risk, but overall it enables efficiency to get hundreds of thousands of jabs in arms every day. I’m mid 40s and not jabbed yet but happy to just wait my turn, even though I’m slightly higher risk as I go in to work 3 or 4 days a week.

Edited by The Kraken

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

I know what it says I posted it along with the link.

Frontline essential workers (non-health care workers) does not mean taxi drivers FFS!  

More info can be found here

Essential Non-Healthcare Workers:
Workers who are essential to maintain critical infrastructure and continue critical services and functions

• Frontline essential workers (1b): The subset of essential workers likely at highest risk for work-related exposure to SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, because their work-related duties must be performed on-site and involve being in close proximity (<6 feet) to the public or to coworkers
  • Other essential workers (1c): Essential workers not included in Phase 1a or 1b

Still, good idea about the work passes though :mcinnes:

2 hours ago, Plastic said:

So my question still stands then, why vaccinate 20 year old health staff early if the majority of the risk is carried by the elderly?

Personally, I believe the government was right to vaccinate them due to their obvious proximity to the virus, and therefore elevated risk. 
this is also why I believe school staff should be prioritised for vaccination now, despite the logistical concerns.

Separately, I’m pleased for all who have had the vaccine and think the government and specifically the NHS have done a great job.

Do you really need me to point out why they should vaccinate health care workers (regardless of age)?

Do you think it might have something to do with where they work (hospitals, care homes) and the people they are highly likely to come into contact with (ill and elderly people)?

If you can't figure out why a 20 year old health care worker was vaccinated given that they are way more likely to come into contact with ill and elderly people before a 20 something teacher, who will come in to contact with young people who aren't ill (otherwise they wouldn't be at school!), then there really isn't any help I can give you!

34 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I know what it says I posted it along with the link. Frontline essential workers (non-health care workers) does not mean taxi drivers FFS!  

Despite timmy getting all confused again, the answer is yes, another stunning own goal from aintclever.

Fuckwit

State Examples

Of the 42 states, the District of Columbia (D.C.), Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands that have adopted guidance on who is considered an “essential worker,” the general elements included in the definition of “transportation and logistics” include airlines, railroads, taxis, private transportation providers and public and private mail and shipping services. 

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/covid-19-essential-workers-in-the-states.aspx

Edited by buctootim

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

There’s some areas of under 50s that it would be nice to prioritise. Emergency services, all nhs, shop workers and such like. That bit seems like it could be manageable for a small number of select industries, if a bit of a work up. Extending it to all of the general population seems like a minefield, how do you categorise it? The company I work for is in manufacturing, it’s a 50 50 split between WFH and can’t wfh (with a few like me who mostly go in but do a day or two from home).  We certainly don’t have any work ID that would identify the difference and it would be a massive work up getting thousands of companies around the country to fit in to what would have to be a complex priority system.

The current system will let some slightly higher risk wait longer than low risk, but overall it enables efficiency to get hundreds of thousands of jabs in arms every day. I’m mid 40s and not jabbed yet but happy to just wait my turn, even though I’m slightly higher risk as I go in to work 3 or 4 days a week.

F'sure whatever system you adopt will be imperfect and have some inconsistencies. If the first jab vaccination program will really be completed by July anyway maybe it doesn't matter so much. But if this is going to be an annual thing of new jabs for new variants there will definitely be tweaks to the UK system to include people like police, teachers, bus and taxi drivers.     

50 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Fuckwit

State Examples

Of the 42 states, the District of Columbia (D.C.), Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands that have adopted guidance on who is considered an “essential worker,” the general elements included in the definition of “transportation and logistics” include airlines, railroads, taxis, private transportation providers and public and private mail and shipping services. 

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and-employment/covid-19-essential-workers-in-the-states.aspx

Fuckwit.

There are plenty of regional variations that don't include taxis.

Source = your own link that you only partially read 😉

This maybe a naive question but is this something you could self administer in the future. Get delivered by one of Jeff’s drones and jab your own arn? Or even the drone transforms and then jabs you, Fraught with how idiots may fuck it up I know but seems doable to me. Registration issues of course

Edited by whelk

6 minutes ago, whelk said:

This maybe a naive question but is this something you could self administer in the future. Get delivered by one of Jeff’s drones and jab your own arn? Or even the drone transforms and then jabs you, Fraught with how idiots may fuck it up I know but seems doable to me. Registration issues of course

In principle, I guess. A lot of people with diabetes do it everyday. But for one shot a year its probably not worth the hassle / teaching people how to do it / inevitable mess ups and fake insurance claims.  

45 minutes ago, whelk said:

I thought I read somewhere the other day that one or two of the labs are already working on a tablet form on the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

I thought I read somewhere the other day that one or two of the labs are already working on a tablet form on the vaccine. 

I read that. It's a tiny company in a small lock up unit up the road from me. If the technology works a small number of people are going to get very very rich.    

3 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Do you really need me to point out why they should vaccinate health care workers (regardless of age)?

Do you think it might have something to do with where they work (hospitals, care homes) and the people they are highly likely to come into contact with (ill and elderly people)?

If you can't figure out why a 20 year old health care worker was vaccinated given that they are way more likely to come into contact with ill and elderly people before a 20 something teacher, who will come in to contact with young people who aren't ill (otherwise they wouldn't be at school!), then there really isn't any help I can give you!

I already said I agree with them having it you fool. You’ve basically just elaborated on my post.

yes they are more likely to come into contact with “ill” elderly people, and teachers are more likely to come into contact with hundreds of “symptomless but infected” children. 

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

I read that. It's a tiny company in a small lock up unit up the road from me. If the technology works a small number of people are going to get very very rich.    

Are they on nodding terms with a Tory MP?

15 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Lol. You're like Weston, wrong every fucking time. It's a real skill. That's a covid treatment, not what we're talking about which is vaccination by pill rather injection.   

So sensitive Timmy! Been a tough day pushing those beds around?

9 hours ago, Plastic said:

Does your question still stand or is it now purely rhetorical?

3 hours ago, Plastic said:

I already said I agree with them having it you fool. You’ve basically just elaborated on my post.

yes they are more likely to come into contact with “ill” elderly people, and teachers are more likely to come into contact with hundreds of “symptomless but infected” children. 

Any actual evidence for that or have you just made it up to prove some misguided point?

Edited by Weston Super Saint

25 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Any actual evidence for that or have you just made it up to prove some misguided point?

No, no - you have me there. As you pointed out, kids can’t possibly transmit COVID, because if they did, they would be ‘ill’, and therefore not at school!

7 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

a 20 something teacher will come in to contact with young people who aren't ill (otherwise they wouldn't be at school!)

We all know that it’s only ‘ill’ people that are contagious. 
I’m not arguing with you any more, it’s pointless. 

There has been some concession at local level to vaccinating keyworkers. I've never seen it mentioned as part of the Government plan, however my other half was jabbed ages ago because Southampton just did all the teachers and staff at Special Needs schools. 

Loads of the police officers and staff have been done here too now. We've been hoovering up any jabs that would have been wasted. When I went last week I saw more people from work than when I'm actually at work. 

So while it's not official policy there have definitely been moves by local NHS to get some groups of people done due to their work and regardless of age. 

I guess it's easier to ring a school or a control room and say "we've got 50 spare jabs, can you get people here within a few hours" than it is for a receptionist to ring individual patients from their surgery. 

12 hours ago, Plastic said:

No, no - you have me there. As you pointed out, kids can’t possibly transmit COVID, because if they did, they would be ‘ill’, and therefore not at school!

We all know that it’s only ‘ill’ people that are contagious. 
I’m not arguing with you any more, it’s pointless. 

No, no - you have me there.  Fancy me suggesting that teachers couldn't possibly be surrounded by hundreds of symptomless but infected children.

I feel so dumb and you are clearly far more superior.

Imagine making such a suggestion when you know for a fact that kids (in secondary schools at least) HAVE to have at least one, but more commonly TWO covid tests each and every week.  Imagine someone being so stupid as to suggest it is very unlikely that teachers will be surrounded by symptomless kids when you are armed with this freely available information.  What a complete fuckwit I must be to argue against your suggestion :mcinnes:

Kids don't HAVE to have one or TWO tests per week at all.

During the first 2 weeks at school they had a couple a week under supervision. These were not mandatory however most kids did them.

Since then they have been given home testing kits which are completely voluntary. Our kids haven't used them once. 

Therefore no child HAS been forced to do even ONE test since returning if they didn't want to. I just asked my kids and they said hardly any of their friends are doing them now.