Coronavirus

whelk

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Good work getting the jab. Some areas of oop north do seem to be ahead of down south, my relatives in the north west were all ahead of similar ages down here. I’m checking the vaccine booking site every so often but if I get offered a jab by end of March I’ll be doing very well indeed.

Don't know how old you are but Sussex is currently doing the 56 + age group. Should easily be 50+ by end of March imo  

15 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Don't know how old you are but Sussex is currently doing the 56 + age group. Should easily be 50+ by end of March imo  

46 so quite a bit off. But as I say, I have a relative not much older than me who has been offered, and pretty sure Turkish is of similar age. Relatives in early 50s jabbed already.

If you’d have told me in December I’d be jabbed by summer I’d have been delighted. I reckon there’s a very small chance that by the end of March they will start 45-50 but I’m expecting getting mine done by end of April is more likely. 

Edited by The Kraken

6 hours ago, The Kraken said:

46 so quite a bit off. But as I say, I have a relative not much older than me who has been offered, and pretty sure Turkish is of similar age. Relatives in early 50s jabbed already.

If you’d have told me in December I’d be jabbed by summer I’d have been delighted. I reckon there’s a very small chance that by the end of March they will start 45-50 but I’m expecting getting mine done by end of April is more likely. 

Slightly younger 😏

most of the people there today were my age group, 40-50, so I assume in our area they’ve reached that. It was brilliantly efficient, in and out in 15 minutes, then a 15 minute wait to see if there is a reaction. No side effects so far but we’ll see.

17 hours ago, swannymere said:

Has anyone brought up MLT's opinions on the subject and wether you're able to separate his current profile from that when he was playing. 😷

MLT has been a good part of my footballing life for such a long time and he is a decent bloke that his anti vax views don't change much for me. I guess it's because you allow the people you like the space to have an opinion.

It's almost as if the EU are jealous...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56347716

Boris Johnson has "corrected" European Council President Charles Michel after he claimed the UK had imposed an "outright ban" on the export of Covid-19 vaccines.

Speaking at Prime Minister's Questions, Mr Johnson said the government had "not blocked" any sales to other countries.

2 hours ago, Crab Lungs said:

It's my covid-19 anniversary on the 18th March... can't believe its been a year since it happened. Hope everyone keeps away from it!

Happy anniversary! Have you made a full recovery? My mate came home from hospital 10 days ago. Talking to him now mentally it’s like there was nothing ever wrong with him, he’s even started to do a few hours work a day. Still very weak can’t walk very far, needs help getting out of the bath and up and down stairs but incredible to think only a few weeks ago he was on 100% ECMO with family being told there wasn’t anything else they could do for him. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Happy anniversary! Have you made a full recovery? My mate came home from hospital 10 days ago. Talking to him now mentally it’s like there was nothing ever wrong with him, he’s even started to do a few hours work a day. Still very weak can’t walk very far, needs help getting out of the bath and up and down stairs but incredible to think only a few weeks ago he was on 100% ECMO with family being told there wasn’t anything else they could do for him. 

As far as I can tell, no ill effects from what I was like previous. Diet has improved, though I do wonder whether the bouts of exhaustion is just age or something underlying, left behind from the illness. The exhaustion that lingers though was literally nothing like the level it was during the illness - that was another level; crippling fatigue on a scale I'd never encountered. I have empathy for your friend as it does knock the **** right out of you.

When did you friend contract it? I'm assuming he's a similar age to yourself? It's utterly incredible what it could do to seemingly healthy people.

1 minute ago, Crab Lungs said:

As far as I can tell, no ill effects from what I was like previous. Diet has improved, though I do wonder whether the bouts of exhaustion is just age or something underlying, left behind from the illness. The exhaustion that lingers though was literally nothing like the level it was during the illness - that was another level; crippling fatigue on a scale I'd never encountered. I have empathy for your friend as it does knock the **** right out of you.

When did you friend contract it? I'm assuming he's a similar age to yourself? It's utterly incredible what it could do to seemingly healthy people.

glad you are all well crabby although it does seem to have altered your mental state as you’ve said a few positive things about Fraser Forster.

He tested positive Christmas Eve went into hospital 28th December, they put him on a ventilator and ECMO on the 3rd January so was in a coma for just over 2 months. Recovered slowly in hospital to the point where they said he could go home. Yes, same age as me, a little bit overweight but healthy with no conditions his whole family had it too, wife, kids, bothers and mum all of them were absolutely fine. His younger brother has a heart condition and  few others issues but for all of them it was just a light flu. 

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

glad you are all well crabby although it does seem to have altered your mental state as you’ve said a few positive things about Fraser Forster.

He tested positive Christmas Eve went into hospital 28th December, they put him on a ventilator and ECMO on the 3rd January so was in a coma for just over 2 months. Recovered slowly in hospital to the point where they said he could go home. Yes, same age as me, a little bit overweight but healthy with no conditions his whole family had it too, wife, kids, bothers and mum all of them were absolutely fine. His younger brother has a heart condition and  few others issues but for all of them it was just a light flu. 

Shocking how quickly you can go from feeling a bit under the weather to literally the reaper standing over you. Did the hospital say anything about PTSD? From what I've also read, the ECMO machine is a real life-saver...

14 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Shocking how quickly you can go from feeling a bit under the weather to literally the reaper standing over you. Did the hospital say anything about PTSD? From what I've also read, the ECMO machine is a real life-saver...

Not as far as I know, he had kidney damage which they think will heel over time and the obvious issues with strength. When he could first speak properly he said that he had some really vivid dreams, people dying being ill, also remembers lots of voices, people talking to him, which may be the doctors and video calls some of us had, but didn’t know what was real and what wasn’t. 

Just now, Turkish said:

Not as far as I know, he had kidney damage which they think will heel over time and the obvious issues with strength. When he could first speak properly he said that he had some really vivid dreams, people dying being ill, also remembers lots of voices, people talking to him, which may be the doctors and video calls some of us had, but didn’t know what was real and what wasn’t. 

Oh my... I spent about a month hallucinating, having nightmares and not being able to understand people talking to me; it was strange, like I'd hear the words but couldn't process a response as my mind was so foggy, unclear, scrambled. That took weeks to lift.

Really glad he's on the mend. It does take ages, it's really frustrating but he'll make progress every day I'm sure. Does he have any of the smaller symptoms remaining? Congestion, fizzing skin, toilet troubles?

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

That’s great news. Please advise him to take things slowly. His immune system will have taken a hammering and even though he may feel fine it’s a long road to full health.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
  • Like 2

On 13/03/2021 at 09:35, whelk said:

Vaccinations have been going well and going to ramp up to a higher level now as supply is there. TBH they could work 24/7 and people would probably come. 

Had my first shot on Thursday. Talk about a smooth operation. Parked at the back of the Madejski at 4:40 as instructed, 15 mins before appointment. Was driving away at 5:02 and that included my 15 mins sat in the car afterwards. Impressive.

Latest stats;

• cases down 5%
  • hospital admissions down 27%
  • deaths down 31%

I know deaths and admissions tend to lag behind cases by a couple of weeks but I doubt it accounts for deaths dropping six-fold compared to positive tests. Surely a good indicator of the virus having a positive effect.

On 13/03/2021 at 11:08, Crab Lungs said:

Oh my... I spent about a month hallucinating, having nightmares and not being able to understand people talking to me; it was strange, like I'd hear the words but couldn't process a response as my mind was so foggy, unclear, scrambled. That took weeks to lift.

Really glad he's on the mend. It does take ages, it's really frustrating but he'll make progress every day I'm sure. Does he have any of the smaller symptoms remaining? Congestion, fizzing skin, toilet troubles?

As far as I know it’s just weakness and fatigue although with the kidney damage, no other side effects. It’s so strange how it effects people so differently.

30 minutes ago, whelk said:

Anyone know how India are coping? Watching the cricket in a packed stadium so assuming not too bad.

They have about 4 times more cases a day than we do, although obviously their country is vast so I think some areas are under heavier restrictions while others have practically none. 

What’s with these EU fuckers banning our vaccine. I don’t know much but was saying the blood clot stats are absolutely minute and no correlation. Are they playing politics cos they are so far behind us and trying an angle that we are using a shit one?

13 minutes ago, whelk said:

What’s with these EU fuckers banning our vaccine. I don’t know much but was saying the blood clot stats are absolutely minute and no correlation. Are they playing politics cos they are so far behind us and trying an angle that we are using a shit one?

There was always going to be a correlation like this at some point. Whether there’s an actual cause and effect I’ve no idea but 40 cases in 17 million wouldn’t suggest so. Personally I can’t wait until these vaccines start getting rolled out to late teens and early twenties in USA and we have a whole bunch of people coming out as gay in the days after their first dose. The evangelical conservatives are going to go ape-sh*t about what the liberal vaccines are doing to their children.

23 minutes ago, whelk said:

Aren’t they just suspending it until they know more? As we’ve seen before, not every country has the expertise we do, so while they are probably wrong they have their own systems in place for checking.

Edited by aintforever

59 minutes ago, whelk said:

There are 2 schools of thought regarding the analysis of test results and post-vaccination reactions; one is to be cautious, as there is actually limited evidence from the pre-clinical trials due to the speed at which the vaccines were developed and rolled out, ( at leats 6 months quicker than would normally be expected, with smaller test samples and limnited time to review results and analyse potential side effects ). This is the approach that many European countries are taking after the possibility of a link to blood clots arose - they are pausing the use of the AZ vaccine whilst further analysis is carried out.

The UK took what is viewed by some in the scientific community as a 'bold approach', where the decision was made that the available evidence, if limited, justified going ahead as the benefit of getting a large number of doses delivered outweighed any risk - which is also why we have extended the time between doses, to get as many first doses deployed as we can.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Aren’t they just suspending it until they know more? As we’ve seen before, not every country has the expertise we do, so while they are probably wrong they have their own systems in place for checking.

It’s not as though it’s the only vaccine in town. As long as there are alternatives available perhaps they can afford to be choosy.

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Yep, politics for me, or some kind of convoluted export tax. Either way, politics or money. To ditch it because of 40 or so blood clot cases out of millions of doses makes no sense. 

14 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, politics for me, or some kind of convoluted export tax. Either way, politics or money. To ditch it because of 40 or so blood clot cases out of millions of doses makes no sense. 

On the news this evening some expert said that the blood clot count for AZ and Pfizer were basically identical and what they’d expect to occur naturally in the amount of patients they’d seen anyway. Sounds like playing politics 

Edited by Turkish

2 hours ago, egg said:

Why are some non EU countries doing the same then?

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

God knows, I thought other countries had paused it as well, Thailand and Congo. 

Thailand lifted it. DR Congo have done what they see the EU masses doing, but now Belgium have come to their senses they’ll be sensible.

19 minutes ago, aintforever said:

They are not in the EU so not sure what their political motives are for pausing.

EFTA. Regardless, there’s no scientifically backed reason for the decision. 

Interesting read on the decisions made by the PM and government in the early days. There's a few bits that they probably would have preferred not to see the light of day in the article.

Somewhat pertinent as well because it's written by Laura Kuenssberg who is often seen as a bit of a government cheerleader.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56361599

I wonder what the reaction would have been if let’s say Boris Johnson, with Britain way behind the EU in the vaccine roll out and infections rising rapidly started spreading fake news and putting the vaccine roll out on hold to investigate some totally unfounded story that the vaccine was dangerous and thus risking hundreds of thousands more lives.......

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I wonder what the reaction would have been if let’s say Boris Johnson, with Britain way behind the EU in the vaccine roll out and infections rising rapidly started spreading fake news and putting the vaccine roll out on hold to investigate some totally unfounded story that the vaccine was dangerous and thus risking hundreds of thousands more lives.......

I think we all know where that would go...but would it have been the same reaction if the vaccine was say French? 

Regardless, pathetic behaviour from the Europeans who've now accepted it was a stunt to apply political pressure. 

The sad part is that damage has been done and mud sticks. The sister in law works at a vaccine centre and there was an increase in a no shows after the euro nonsense, and the child has mentioned insta nonsense about avoiding the vax because of blood clot fears. 

Got my jab booked for Friday. Thought I would be at least a few weeks away (under 50 and no underlying health issues). Fair play to govt and NHS because at this rate I can see all adults having at least the first jab well ahead of schedule. French rollout in comparison looks a total mess and I bet their % take up will be much lower as a result.

Got mine booked for tomorrow, received my text today. Just turned 43, no underlying health issues (not used the GP in over seven years since registering).  

Wife, 42, also received hers. No underlying health conditions either. 

Very impressed, and surprised! 

Edited by Behind Enemy Lines

1 minute ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Got mine booked for tomorrow, received my text today. Just turned 43, no underlying health issues (not used the GP in over seven years since registering).  

Wife, 42, also received hers. No underlying health conditions either. 

Very impressed, and surprised! 

good man. I'm a year older than you had mine a couple of weeks ago, i live in Yorkshire and loads our age group have had them so seems they are getting down to our age group everywhere now. i didn't have any side effects at all. Apart from an overwhelming, constant urge to throw away my ipad and do daily microsoft updates on my computer for the last couple of weeks i've been fine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus