Coronavirus

whelk

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

Oddly no mention that we will all be working in his mines. And be doing it willingly!

I don’t believe all these conspiracy theories around him. Bill Gates is an amazing guy who really cares deeply about humans and wants to do what is best for the global society. He is a voice that must be listened too, if everyone did what Mr Gates said the world would be far better place. I’ve had my vaccine and he is right, it has been a triumph for science, I’m so grateful he contributed towards their development with kind donations.

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

I don’t believe all these conspiracy theories around him. Bill Gates is an amazing guy who really cares deeply about humans and wants to do what is best for the global society. He is a voice that must be listened too, if everyone did what Mr Gates said the world would be far better place. I’ve had my vaccine and he is right, it has been a triumph for science, I’m so grateful he contributed towards their development with kind donations.

I actually met him and Melinda when I was working on a research project funded by their foundation through the Medicines for Malaria Venture. Very pleasant people (and I'm yet to be vaccinated/chipped so not just saying that!).

Edited by Trout-Tickler
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Trout-Tickler said:

I actually met him and Melinda when I was I was working on a research project funded by their foundation through the Medicines for Malaria Venture. Very pleasant people (and I'm yet to be vaccinated/chipped so not just saying that!).

I've never met him but have benefitted from the foundation. This is a world where a man who's given 90% of his wealth away to charity is evil and the conspiro weirdos who seek to undermine trust in medicine are the saviours.  

14 minutes ago, Trout-Tickler said:

I actually met him and Melinda when I was I was working on a research project funded by their foundation through the Medicines for Malaria Venture. Very pleasant people (and I'm yet to be vaccinated/chipped so not just saying that!).

Im sure it’s coincidence but I liked him a lot more straight after my vaccine 

12 hours ago, buctootim said:

I've never met him but have benefitted from the foundation. This is a world where a man who's given 90% of his wealth away to charity is evil and the conspiro weirdos who seek to undermine trust in medicine are the saviours.  

Watched Steve Jobs doc Man in the Machine recently. The love for Apple is incredible considering so many dodgy practices.Steve J was pretty much a bastard and appears not a philanthropic bone in his body. Also happy to stitch up those closest to him. Yet beloved by so many and Bill Gates vilified. 

12 hours ago, buctootim said:

But you do realise he is behind creating the Virus to help sales of Teams?

This is ironic. In The Sunday Times today,

Woman died in fall at jab clinic

A woman died after tripping over a mat on her way into a clinic in Shrewsbury to get her COVID-19 jab, an inquest heard. Margaret Ann Reilly, 84, a retired VAT inspector, had gone to get vaccinated in December when she fell over the mat designed to prevent slips in the snow.

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

This is ironic. In The Sunday Times today,

Woman died in fall at jab clinic

A woman died after tripping over a mat on her way into a clinic in Shrewsbury to get her COVID-19 jab, an inquest heard. Margaret Ann Reilly, 84, a retired VAT inspector, had gone to get vaccinated in December when she fell over the mat designed to prevent slips in the snow.

Cause of death - covid 

• Like 1

Had my jab this morning. Derby Arena incredibly efficient. Absolutely gobsmacked yesterday to get the invite, was expecting late April or so.

If they are already getting to the likes of me in March then they really are smashing it. I would think this will do Boris's local election prospects no harm at all. Basically a huge majority of the active electorate (turnout) will have a jab in their arm already.

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Had my jab this morning. Derby Arena incredibly efficient. Absolutely gobsmacked yesterday to get the invite, was expecting late April or so.

If they are already getting to the likes of me in March then they really are smashing it. I would think this will do Boris's local election prospects no harm at all. Basically a huge majority of the active electorate (turnout) will have a jab in their arm already.

Be interested to see what side effects you get. i read there are two different views about this, basically the worse side effects you get are how bad you'd be effected if you got Covid, the other is that the side effects are irrelevant and dont mean anything. Been a real mixed bag, i know quite a few people who have had cold/flu like systems, one guy who was really ill for a couple of days and a few, myself included that didn't even get the sore arm. 

39 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Be interested to see what side effects you get. i read there are two different views about this, basically the worse side effects you get are how bad you'd be effected if you got Covid, the other is that the side effects are irrelevant and dont mean anything. Been a real mixed bag, i know quite a few people who have had cold/flu like systems, one guy who was really ill for a couple of days and a few, myself included that didn't even get the sore arm. 

Same here. I went straight back to work, but a mate of mine had 2 days in bed rough as fuck. 7 of us have had it at work, 5 suffered nothing worse than a sore arm, 1 had shivers and a bit rough and another had a day in bed. I wonder wether the ones that didn’t suffer any reaction were asymptotic people previously. I guess we’ll never know. 

Your reaction is due to your immune response rather than from suffering from 'a little bit' of the virus. There could be a connection beween vaccine reaction and how bad you get covid, if some of the covid symptoms are caused by your immune response as well as the virus. The Spanish flu mortality was influenced by the strength of your immune response, meaning the under 40's who have a stronger immune response were the vulnerable group that time.

I haven't a clue, just thinking aloud, but I'm sure the eggheads are looking into this type of stuff.

I started feeling a bit rough around 12 hours after having the jab and that lasted for another 24 hours.  Nothing really serious though - bit like a mild hangover and didn't stop me working.  Anecdotally seems like women and younger people are more prone to side effects but it's still a bit of a lottery.  From what I've read the side effects aren't thought to have any indication as to whether you would get COVID worse or on the protection you get from the vaccine. 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Think that must be everyone on Saintsweb vaccinated now

Nope. Also my wife is a teacher in her 40's, no offer of a jab there.

Being as she comes into contact with circa 140 kids a day, you would think she would get on some kind of priority list at this point, but apparently not.

3 minutes ago, Plastic said:

Being as she comes into contact with circa 140 kids a day, you would think she would get on some kind of priority list at this point, but apparently not.

It is odd how they are not prioritising teachers and other occupations that have to face up to the general public everyday. You would think that would make more of a difference to the r rate than vaccinating a load of slightly olde people who can work from home and not have to come into contact with anyone.

I’m in my 40s and have yet to have it, makes little difference to me because I can work from home.

12 minutes ago, Plastic said:

Has she been tested? She must have been exposed and built up antibodies by now surely. 

8 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It is odd how they are not prioritising teachers and other occupations that have to face up to the general public everyday. You would think that would make more of a difference to the r rate than vaccinating a load of slightly olde people who can work from home and not have to come into contact with anyone.

I’m in my 40s and have yet to have it, makes little difference to me because I can work from home.

Not sure you've really understood the principles behind vaccinating the older people, but no shock there!

The priorities around vaccination haven't been about making sure people in public facing roles are nice and safe.  From the outset the priorities have been around making sure the NHS isn't overwhelmed in order to avoid much worse consequences.  I imagine that's why they decided to vaccinate the older people first to protect them, you know, to stop them from getting ill and ending up in hospital because they have far worse symptoms.

Maybe they should have just ignored all the older people, especially those in care homes because they don't have to go out to work at all, what with their pensions and all :mcinnes:

Edited by Weston Super Saint

12 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not sure you've really understood the principles behind vaccinating the older people, but no shock there!

The priorities around vaccination haven't been about making sure people in public facing roles are nice and safe.  From the outset the priorities have been around making sure the NHS isn't overwhelmed in order to avoid much worse consequences.  I imagine that's why they decided to vaccinate the older people first to protect them, you know, to stop them from getting ill and ending up in hospital because they have far worse symptoms.

Maybe they should have just ignored all the older people, especially those in care homes because they don't have to go out to work at all, what with their pensions and all :mcinnes:

I get the fact that high risk people need vaccinating first, fuck me it’s not rocket science.

When it comes to people in their 40s and 50s it surely must make sense to vaccinate those who spend their whole day in contact with other people first. Like I said, it doesn’t matter in the slightest when I get my jab because I don’t need to leave the house, much better a teacher or cab driver has it before me regardless of age.

49 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I get the fact that high risk people need vaccinating first, fuck me it’s not rocket science.

When it comes to people in their 40s and 50s it surely must make sense to vaccinate those who spend their whole day in contact with other people first. Like I said, it doesn’t matter in the slightest when I get my jab because I don’t need to leave the house, much better a teacher or cab driver has it before me regardless of age.

And yet, oddly, you seem to be confusing someone's profession with their propensity to be affected by the virus.

Haven't you lived like a hermit for the past year anyway? Pretty sure you also got ill at some point, enough to warrant having a test, which should be enough to tell you that even people who spend the majority of their time at home can still catch the virus...

The decision was made to vaccinate the population based on age as well as underlying illness / risk.  Seems pretty logical to me and certainly seems to be effective, especially given that the local surgeries contacting people for their jab have access to those criteria, but don't have a clue what people do for a living :mcinnes:

1 hour ago, buctootim said:

Has she been tested? She must have been exposed and built up antibodies by now surely. 

Yes we have a years supply of the barely-functional rapid tests here, not the most reliable!

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

At this point they are vaccinating 50 year old housewives who only leave home to go to Sainsbury’s. You honestly think those vaccines wouldn’t be better off being prioritised for teachers? 

31 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

And yet, oddly, you seem to be confusing someone's profession with their propensity to be affected by the virus.

Haven't you lived like a hermit for the past year anyway? Pretty sure you also got ill at some point, enough to warrant having a test, which should be enough to tell you that even people who spend the majority of their time at home can still catch the virus...

The decision was made to vaccinate the population based on age as well as underlying illness / risk.  Seems pretty logical to me and certainly seems to be effective, especially given that the local surgeries contacting people for their jab have access to those criteria, but don't have a clue what people do for a living :mcinnes:

Risk of catching and thus spreading the virus is very much linked to profession.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Risk of catching and thus spreading the virus is very much linked to profession.

You'd think that was so obvious it wouldn't need stating. Vaccinating healthcare professionals and carers should have been another clue. Apparently not......

7 minutes ago, Plastic said:

Yes we have a years supply of the barely-functional rapid tests here, not the most reliable!

At this point they are vaccinating 50 year old housewives who only leave home to go to Sainsbury’s. You honestly think those vaccines wouldn’t be better off being prioritised for teachers? 

Can't help thinking it was political rather than epidemiological. If you vaccinate teachers it cuts across the message that schools are safe to open - even if half the kids there are the offspring of people in high risk professions!  Should have done the police too tbf

18 minutes ago, Plastic said:

Do you honestly think that a 20 something teacher is more at risk of developing severe symptoms than a 50 year old "housewife"?

The argument cuts both ways, but it's pretty obvious you cannot vaccinate all of the population at the same time, so you have to prioritise by risk (of potentially overwhelming the hospitals).

15 minutes ago, buctootim said:

You'd think that was so obvious it wouldn't need stating. Vaccinating healthcare professionals and carers should have been another clue. Apparently not......

It is obvious and didn't need saying - aintclever only brought it up to deflect from his stupidity.

At the moment, the majority of public facing roles aren't at work due to lockdown - shop workers, hospitality etc.

Those at more risk of becoming ill are being prioritised, you'd think it was so obvious it wouldn't need saying. Apparently not....

The r rate can be 10 or more if everyone who is likely to become seriously ill has protection, aintclever seems fixated on controlling something that has become largely irrelevant since the vaccines were launched.

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

It is obvious and didn't need saying - aintclever only brought it up to deflect from his stupidity.

At the moment, the majority of public facing roles aren't at work due to lockdown - shop workers, hospitality etc.

Those at more risk of becoming ill are being prioritised, you'd think it was so obvious it wouldn't need saying. Apparently not....

The r rate can be 10 or more if everyone who is likely to become seriously ill has protection, aintclever seems fixated on controlling something that has become largely irrelevant since the vaccines were launched.

The high-risk people have been done you bell-end, I’m talking about now we are down to people in their 40s. Surely it makes sense to vaccinate those who face people every day before those sat at home all day - even a thick old gammon like you should get that.

16 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Do you honestly think that a 20 something teacher is more at risk of developing severe symptoms than a 50 year old "housewife"?

The argument cuts both ways, but it's pretty obvious you cannot vaccinate all of the population at the same time, so you have to prioritise by risk (of potentially overwhelming the hospitals).

Isn’t more a case of administration being simpler and jumping in and out of professions makes it more complex than looking at health record and age?

8 minutes ago, whelk said:

Isn’t more a case of administration being simpler and jumping in and out of professions makes it more complex than looking at health record and age?

Exactly. I've tried to get this point across to aintclever, but it's not sinking in.

Local surgeries organising the vaccinations only have health and age records, they have no idea who works where!

Maybe the best plan is to have some nurses stood at the taxi ranks until all the cab drivers have been jabbed. Then they can move on to the night clubs....

17 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The high-risk people have been done you bell-end, I’m talking about now we are down to people in their 40s. Surely it makes sense to vaccinate those who face people every day before those sat at home all day - even a thick old gammon like you should get that.

How do you implement that cunning plan?

True to form though, out with the insults when you've lost your argument.

Edited by Weston Super Saint

31 minutes ago, whelk said:

Probably

49 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Why vaccinate 20 year old nurses then?

22 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You upload a photo of your work ID onto the booking website or you have a system of checking work ID at vaccination centres. 

1 hour ago, Plastic said:

The vaccine programme is not just to protect the population. It’s also to protect the NHS. The vaccination plan is to protect those most likely to suffer if they get ill, not those most likely to catch the disease.

In your example a teacher will get vaccinated if they are over 50.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

23 minutes ago, buctootim said:

You upload a photo of your work ID onto the booking website or you have a system of checking work ID at vaccination centres. 

As said up the thread I had mine today.

Personally as someone who qualifies as a home-working low risk 40-something I would have happily let every teacher nurse etc have it before me, but havivg been to a large scale vaccination centre today I understand why they didn't do the kind of classification and additional admin you're suggesting.

All of that fannying around with work IDs and documentation and paperwork would just interfere with the primary objective of vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Just get on with it. I saw today that is what is happening. I was in and out. I didn't need to justify my existence or upload documents to be cross checked and inspected. 

And, not to mention the inevitable tiering that would come in - are Dinner ladies working for Sodexo not as worthy as professional teachers, someone working all day in a Co-Op deprioritised vs a mainly home based school administrator who can flash an NUT card about etc etc. The sharp elbowed middle classes would happily push aside the bus drivers, shop staff and cleaners.

It's not perfect, but I get why they've done it like this.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

They manage to do it in the US, in California for example, people in occupations with a high chance of exposure (including teachers and the police) are in the same group as the over 65s. Now we have got to the stage where we are vaccinating 40 something print cartridge salesmen, it makes sense to me to prioritise certain professions.

2 minutes ago, Plastic said:

No, but you clearly are. The point made by Weston was that 20 year olds are not at risk. 
You go ahead and hit that straw man though.

Throwing around buzzwords to make yourself look clever 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Asking if a 20 year old is more likely to develop severe symptoms than a 50 year old is not saying 20 year olds are not at risk. 

Nice try though. 

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

As said up the thread I had mine today.

Personally as someone who qualifies as a home-working low risk 40-something I would have happily let every teacher nurse etc have it before me, but havivg been to a large scale vaccination centre today I understand why they didn't do the kind of classification and additional admin you're suggesting.

All of that fannying around with work IDs and documentation and paperwork would just interfere with the primary objective of vaccinate as many people as possible as quickly as possible. Just get on with it. I saw today that is what is happening. I was in and out. I didn't need to justify my existence or upload documents to be cross checked and inspected. 

And, not to mention the inevitable tiering that would come in - are Dinner ladies working for Sodexo not as worthy as professional teachers, someone working all day in a Co-Op deprioritised vs a mainly home based school board who can flash an NUT card about etc etc. The sharp elbowed middle classes would happily push aside the bus drivers, shop staff and cleaners.

It's not perfect, but I get why they've done it like this.

Exactly. Like anything there will always be people not picking saying they should have done it this way or that way, but the way they’ve done it has been fucking brilliant. Incredible efficiency which to be blunt I didn’t think this country was capable of. Had mine 3 weeks ago, I’m also a home working low risk 40 something, sure there are more deserving than me but once the text came through I was all over it. In my area now, North Yorkshire most people I know over 40 have had their first, it’s a 15 minute process and they’re going through them at 1200 a day. It’s incredible how they’ve got half the country done in 3 months or so, I genuinely though they’d fuck it up and we’d still be waiting to a vaccine this time next year 

• Like 1