Coronavirus

whelk

25 minutes ago, whelk said:

Force everyone who has been to Brazil in last 3 months to come forward or is that going to upset the libertarians?

How do you find them?

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

No need for that!

The details of everyone who has been to Brazil in the last three months will be stored on the immigration database.

Simply arrange for a middle of the night knock for them all and stick 'em in a cell for two weeks.

Shouldn't be any issues with civil liberties there ;) 

And what are their addresses?

5 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

No need for that!

The details of everyone who has been to Brazil in the last three months will be stored on the immigration database.

Simply arrange for a middle of the night knock for them all and stick 'em in a cell for two weeks.

Really? how do you know? 

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

No need for that!

You could lock them all up on cruise ships. :lol:

22 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Any side effects? A few people who've had it say been quite poorly for a day or two, majority been fine though.

My wife and daughter had theirs in the !ast couple of days and both have been feeling ill since.

51 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Any side effects? A few people who've had it say been quite poorly for a day or two, majority been fine though.

None for me but my wife thought that she felt a little woozy next day but that might just have been auto-suggestion. I had no effects from the vaccine but this is an intramuscular injection and I really felt the needle going into my upper arm. It's still a bit tender even now three weeks later. Almost like it's been bruised but there's nothing to see.

Anecdotally there are reports that those people who have had the virus and recovered from it have worse side effects. Also anecdotally  there are indications that those who are suffering from Long Covid  fine their symptoms have improved.

8 minutes ago, whelk said:

Personal question but how do you meet the criteria as aren’t they doing 60 yo+ at the mo?

No idea. I would assume it’s the rate they’re going through them where I live. Loads of my age group either with appointments or had texts to say they’ll be contacted shortly to arrange one. 

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Anecdotally there are reports that those people who have had the virus and recovered from it have worse side effects. Also anecdotally  there are indications that those who are suffering from Long Covid  fine their symptoms have improved.

Yep this is the same anecdotal information I have seen from my friends, family, and work colleagues.

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

No idea. I would assume it’s the rate they’re going through them where I live. Loads of my age group either with appointments or had texts to say they’ll be contacted shortly to arrange one. 

Same in Dorset. Lots 55-60’s I know have had their jabs. Poole & Bournemouth still getting through the 60+ but other areas flying through it. I’m actually surprised there hasn’t been more push back . Probably coming along the track, as pretty soon they’ll be poor urban areas with high risk folk still to be vaccinated and middle class 45 year olds getting theirs in the sticks. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Vaccine supply will really ramp up in the middle of the month so it won't be long until most of us have had it.

Some centres are proactively contacting keyworkers for spare viruses. They do it here by ringing the control centre and saying "we have 10 spare doses, can you get anyone here in the next hour or so?"

6 hours ago, Turkish said:

Me eldest daughter had the Oxford 2 weeks ago. Been ill since. Tired, lethargy, and head to toe with a rash that won't go. Steroids, creams, now having blood and other tests to see what's going on. Youngest had the Pfizer and no issues at all. 

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

So how many on here have had the vaccine? due to get mine on saturday.

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Had first AZ jab about 5 weeks ago. Had a bit of a headache and lethargy first day or so, then had something akin to a heavy 48 hour cold on day 2 & 3. Apart from that, all good.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, aintforever said:

A client of mine had the vaccine and ended up in ICU. 😳

Any idea which one? Seems to be the Oxford vaccine causing issues amongst people I know. 

Just now, egg said:

Any idea which one? Seems to be the Oxford vaccine causing issues amongst people I know. 

No idea, just got an email from his daughter saying he had a vaccine and is in ICU.

My Mum and her mates have all been done and they say the same about the Oxford having more side efffects.

1 hour ago, whelk said:

Could it be that those that have more side effects when vaccinated would be the same people who would get poleaxed by severe symptoms of COVID if they got it? 

That's a theory I've heard from medics. My daughter who's having ongoing side effects would probably really struggle with Covid. 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

That's a theory I've heard from medics. My daughter who's having ongoing side effects would probably really struggle with Covid. 

Sorry to hear about your daughter mate. Has she improved at all? That theory sounds a logical explanation. It only seems to be the AZ one i've heard about where anyone has had side effects, Pzifer seems to be okay. I see the advice is not to drink any alcohol for 2 weeks after as well. 

42 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Sorry to hear about your daughter mate. Has she improved at all? That theory sounds a logical explanation. It only seems to be the AZ one i've heard about where anyone has had side effects, Pzifer seems to be okay. I see the advice is not to drink any alcohol for 2 weeks after as well. 

No improvement sadly. She's having blood and bone marrow tests. I hadn't appreciated the no alcohol advice, and she definitely hasn't been abstaining.

Interestingly, a GP I know has refused the AZ vax and insisted on Pfizer, I know another health professional who's done the same. I'll take the AZ one if its the one offered, but if I can get the Pfizer I will. 

19 hours ago, whelk said:

Personal question but how do you meet the criteria as aren’t they doing 60 yo+ at the mo?

In some areas people are being called forward for other underlying health issues; diabetes, BMI etc. Our friend couldn't understand why she was given an appointment, phoned the doctors and was told it was her BMI. 

22 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Also anecdotally  there are indications that those who are suffering from Long Covid  fine their symptoms have improved.

They think the vaccine clears up the lingering pockets of inflammation to the lung lining. But it's hit and miss who it helps, like covid has been all through out this. It will be interesting to see what the determiner is when they finally work it out. My fit, thin neighbour ended up in ITU for two weeks and now has long covid and can't work.

Having my second Pfizer dose today, had no side effects from the first dose, hopefully the same for this one, although a Friday on the sofa watching American Pickers wouldn't be the end of the world.

6 hours ago, egg said:

No improvement sadly. She's having blood and bone marrow tests. I hadn't appreciated the no alcohol advice, and she definitely hasn't been abstaining.

Interestingly, a GP I know has refused the AZ vax and insisted on Pfizer, I know another health professional who's done the same. I'll take the AZ one if its the one offered, but if I can get the Pfizer I will. 

Fingers crossed for her pal. I'm was told about the no alcohol advice also found it online but that seems to be the default for everything these days, like smoking used to be. 

3 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

In some areas people are being called forward for other underlying health issues; diabetes, BMI etc. Our friend couldn't understand why she was given an appointment, phoned the doctors and was told it was her BMI. 

So maybe Turkish isn’t the athlete after all then?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Fingers crossed for her pal. I'm was told about the no alcohol advice also found it online but that seems to be the default for everything these days, like smoking used to be. 

When your body is fighting something it only makes sense toot to handicap it by pouring in other toxins. The other important boost to your immune system is to get plenty of good sleep.

The advice about no alcohol with antibiotics is mainly to stop you from pissing them out with your urine.

Edited by Whitey Grandad
  • Like 1

The advice of alchol and antibiotics is a bit of a myth. Penicillin was given for STIs and doctors used to say that the patient should abstain, hoping that less drinking would lead to less sex and less spread of the STI whilst the antibiotic did it's business.

I had my jab today and was told not to drink for two weeks as drinking stops the vaccine from circulating properly, whether this is another made up thing is anyones guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Cheers. Sadly she'd have ignored any no booze advice. She had her bloods taken today and she'll hopefully hear soon. Still covered in a rash that won't go but she's up and about. 

14 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

The Italians are revolting?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56279202

Meanwhile, 2.5m doses of the very same jab are sitting in France and Germany unused - presumably because they said it was shit, but then changed their minds and are finding it difficult to convince their citizens!

The joined up central EU policy seems to be working just fine.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1405651/EU-news-Ireland-coronavirus-vaccine-Emmanuel-Macron-Angela-Merkel-AstraZeneca-latest-vn

Mr Murphy added: "We have a million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine in Germany today, not being used and we have 1.5 million in France not being used.

20 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

The advice of alchol and antibiotics is a bit of a myth.

Its not a myth. Its just that it varies a lot drug by drug - the effects are far more specific than your average patient is going to take in, so the advice is just a blanket 'don't drink' for ease. 

Table 1: Significant Antibiotic-Alcohol Drug Interactions

Interacting Drug Effect Recommendation
sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim (Bactrim DS, Septra DS) Fast heartbeat, warmth or redness under your skin, tingly feeling, nausea, and vomiting. Avoid alcohol while taking sulfamethoxazole-
trimethoprim.4
metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER); metronidazole vaginal Disulfiram-like reaction: abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, headaches, flushing may occur; also possible with systemic absorption of vaginal cream. Avoid combination with alcohol or propylene glycol-containing products during treatment and for 72 hours after discontinuation of metronidazole treatment.5,6
linezolid (Zyvox) Increased risk of hypertensive crisis (dangerous elevated blood pressure). Avoid large quantities of tyramine-containing alcoholic beverages (tap beer, vermouth, red wine.)6
tinidazole (Tindamax) Disulfiram-like reaction which may include abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, headaches, flushing. Avoid combination with alcohol during treatment and for 72 hours after discontinuation of tinidazole treatment.7
cefotetan (Cefotan) Disulfiram-like reaction which may include abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, headaches, flushing. Avoid combination with alcohol during treatment and for 72 hours after discontinuation of cefotetan treatment.6
doxycycline May lead to a decreased level of doxycycline in patients who consume alcohol chronically by enhanced elimination. The mechanism appears to be induction of hepatic microsomal enzymes by alcohol. The clinical significance is unknown. Modifications to your medication doses may be needed if you drink alcohol while taking doxycycline.14
rifampin (Rifadin) Combination with alcohol may increase risk for liver toxicity. Do not drink alcohol with rifampin.8
isoniazid (Nydrazid) Increased risk of liver toxicity if daily alcohol consumption Avoid alcohol while taking isoniazid.6
benznidazole  Unpleasant side effects such as abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, headaches, and flushing. Do not drink alcohol while you are taking benznidazole and for at least three days after you stop taking it.11
cycloserine (Seromycin) Combination may increase risk of central nervous system toxicity; possible seizures. Avoid alcohol while taking cycloserine.6,9
erythromycin ethylsuccinate (E.E.S.) Alcohol appears to lead to this slowed "gastric emptying" when combined with erythromycin ethylsuccinate. May delay the absorption of the antibiotic into the bloodstream and lower the effect. It is not known if other erythromycin salts are affected in this way. Your doctor may prefer you avoid alcohol if you are taking erythromycin ethylsuccinate.13
ethionamide (Trecator) Combination may increase risk of central nervous system toxicity; possible psychosis. Avoid excessive alcohol while taking ethionamide.6,10
voriconazole (Vfend) (antifungal) Combination with alcohol may either increase or decrease voriconazole levels due to altered liver metabolism. Avoid voriconazole with alcohol.6
ketoconazole (Nizoral)(antifungal) Combination with alcohol may increase risk of liver toxicity and disulfiram-like reaction which may include abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, headaches, flushing Avoid ketoconazole with alcohol.6,11,12
pyrazinamide Combination with alcohol may increase risk for liver toxicity Use caution; avoid use in alcoholics or with chronic daily alcohol use.6,11
thalidomide (Thalomid) Combination with alcohol may increase risk for additive sedation, drowsiness, confusion; use caution if driving or operating machinery Avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with thalidomide

I'm sure there are some antibiotics that you can't drink on and that's why it's a bit of a myth. But the consensus is that alcohol doesn't interact with most https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20130917-truth-about-drink-and-antibiotics 

Drugs have to list all side effects even the rare one and some of the drugs on that list are not antibiotics, like thalidomide.

I guess if you are trying to fight an infection it's probably not a bad thing to not drink.

I’m now carrying Bill Gates microchip. AZ one. I’ve actually supplied AZ with several million quids worth of *printer cartridges* over the years so I guess in a small way I’ve done my bit to save the world.

Edited by Turkish

10 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m now carrying Bill Gates microchip. AZ one. I’ve actually supplied AZ with several million quids worth of *printer cartridges* over the years so I guess in a small way I’ve done my bit to save the world.

Make sure you update Acrobat Reader.

52 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Good work getting the jab. Some areas of oop north do seem to be ahead of down south, my relatives in the north west were all ahead of similar ages down here. I’m checking the vaccine booking site every so often but if I get offered a jab by end of March I’ll be doing very well indeed.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Coronavirus