Coronavirus

whelk

Secondary school children are now self administering the hugely unreliable PCR test at home (if they feel like it).

/edit I saw the cat‘s post as I was writing this. My daughter is at secondary school and this is the same for her.

Edited by Plastic

2 minutes ago, Plastic said:

Secondary school children are now self administering the hugely unreliable PCR test at home. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4941

As I said above they don't have to do them anyway. 

The tests they are doing are my kids school are LFT, if it comes out positive they do a PCR test. At least half of these confirm the original LFT as negative. 

Would useful if they broke the deaths down as to those that have been vaccinated or not. Again shit they won’t do dare anyone becomes ‘complacent’ or possibly avoiding the vaccine believing them not to be effective.

40 minutes ago, whelk said:

Would useful if they broke the deaths down as to those that have been vaccinated or not. Again shit they won’t do dare anyone becomes ‘complacent’ or possibly avoiding the vaccine believing them not to be effective.

Would be good if it was deaths of people who were vaccinated over 2 weeks ago.

Judging by the massive drop in deaths there surely can't be many who have died after having it? 

45 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Would be good if it was deaths of people who were vaccinated over 2 weeks ago.

Judging by the massive drop in deaths there surely can't be many who have died after having it? 

I don't know but I guess this is where the dying with covid rather than dying from covid issue becomes more relevant. On a smaller number of deaths its going to have a bigger skew.  

9 hours ago, Plastic said:

Secondary school children are now self administering the hugely unreliable PCR test at home (if they feel like it).

/edit I saw the cat‘s post as I was writing this. My daughter is at secondary school and this is the same for her.

Lol.

You say that as if it somehow proves your misguided claim that teachers are surrounded by hundreds of symptomless, yet infected, children.

If a LFT test is positive, the child testing positive and their family . bubble have to self isolate - ergo the kid is NOT in school.

In some areas (like North Somerset), a LFT test is not backed up by a PCR test (note, you haven't even got the types of test right), so everyone has to isolate for 10 days!

If anything, that policy will keep not only the infected kids but also some falsely positives kids out of school.

So, any actual evidence yet that teachers are surrounded by hundreds of symptomless, yet infected, childred?

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

If a LFT test is positive, the child testing positive and their family . bubble have to self isolate - ergo the kid is NOT in school.

The assumption here is that the children are (a) conducting the tests (b) performing the tests correctly and (c) reporting the correct results.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

you haven't even got the types of test right

You are correct, lateral flow. We all make mistakes...

Edited by Plastic

4 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

In some areas (like North Somerset), a LFT test is not backed up by a PCR test (note, you haven't even got the types of test right), so everyone has to isolate for 10 days!

That was the case here for LFT's done during the first 2 weeks in school before they moved to home tests. Anyone who has a positive LFT from one of these then has a PCR test to confirm the original.

Hamble have had 1 positive test since they went back and that was a false positive LFT. 

Unless North Somerset are still doing the tests in school I can't see why the rules wouldn't be the same there. 

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

That was the case here for LFT's done during the first 2 weeks in school before they moved to home tests. Anyone who has a positive LFT from one of these then has a PCR test to confirm the original.

Hamble have had 1 positive test since they went back and that was a false positive LFT. 

Unless North Somerset are still doing the tests in school I can't see why the rules wouldn't be the same there. 

I was told that the tests have a false positive rate of about 0.1%. At a school with a thousand students that would mean about one positive result for each  round of testing.

Back of on the subject pay rises which we spoke about a month or so ago my company have just announced for the second year in a row no one would get a pay rise. They have also said that to save redundancies then we will rely on natural wastage, ie people leaving or retiring and not being replaced. This leaves the UK team around 10% down year or year in terms of work force but they’re expecting 8% growth. I had to deliver the news today to my guys to share with their teams. Happy Easter, so much for the private sector being guaranteed bonuses every year with an easy life.

Edited by Turkish

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Back of on the subject pay rises which we spoke about a month or so ago my company have just announced for the second year in a row no one would get a pay rise. They have also said that to save redundancies then we will rely on natural wastage, ie people leaving or retiring and not being replaced. This leaves the UK team around 10% down year or year in terms of work force but they’re expecting 8% growth. I had to deliver the news today to my guys to share with their teams. Happy Easter, so much for the private sector being guaranteed bonuses every year with an easy life.

So a pay freeze and having to do more with less resource. Similar to many public sector areas.

Don’t  think anyone would generalise about bonuses and easy lives as that will be down to how each individual company is run.  

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

For many businesses, turnover is down, outgoings are up, so something has to give. Pay freezes are very much the norm in the real world of the private sector. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

For many businesses, turnover is down, outgoings are up, so something has to give. Pay freezes are very much the norm in the real world of the private sector. 

Of course but we were told when the public sector were moaning about theirs that the private sector get pay rises every year and spend all their time on jollies whilst in the public sector everyone wets themselves if they get a free pen. Reality is different. 

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Of course but we were told when the public sector were moaning that the private sector get pay rises every year and spend all their time on jollies whilst in the public sector everyone wets themselves if they get a free pen. Reality is different. 

Yep, I have public sector friends who have no idea of the realities of the real world of the private sector. And let's not get started on pensions. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, whelk said:

You know if your conditions are so bad get another job. Simple

I'd expect something more realistic from you than that comment. Other than the Scottish NHS, there aren't too many employers who are or can give above inflation pay rises. Finding another job on better terms is far from simple for most. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

I'd expect something more realistic from you than that comment. Other than the Scottish NHS, there aren't too many employers who are or can give above inflation pay rises. Finding another job on better terms is far from simple for most. 

That is my(flippant) point. Almost everyone’s conditions reflect the current climate. If public sector have it so good market forces would mean we would move there. But in typical Turkish style he want to make it comparative and confrontational against another sector. What he has outlined is routine and not something I am overly sympathetic to. I have had to let many people go and deal with the tears and sometimes begging to keep their jobs so sorry if I don’t start playing the violin for his conditions which still sound much better than many have experienced.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, whelk said:

That is my(flippant) point. Almost everyone’s conditions reflect the current climate. If public sector have it so good market forces would mean we would move there. But in typical Turkish style he want to make it comparative and confrontational against another sector. What he has outlined is routine and not something I am overly sympathetic to. I have had to let many people go and deal with the tears and sometimes begging to keep their jobs so sorry if I don’t start playing the violin for his conditions which still sound much better than many have experienced.

Hang on a minute! When the public sector pay conditions were announced People were complaining about it with you included going on about how in the private sector people get big pay rises with many of them sitting at home of furlough while the public sector carried on working. I’m simply pointing out the private sector isn’t a place where the street are made of gold either. It’s been horrendous at my company this year with loads of people going off with stress. Not asking for violins, just pointing out reality. Sorry you’ve got upset about it.

Edited by Turkish

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Hang on a minute! When the public sector pay conditions were announced People were complaining about it with you included going on about how in the private sector people get big pay rises with many of them sitting at home of furlough while the public sector carried on working. I’m simply pointing out the private sector isn’t a place where the street are made of gold either. It’s been horrendous at my company this year with loads of people going off with stress. Not asking for violins, just pointing out reality. Sorry you’ve got upset about it.

Sounds like you are one getting excitable and upset.  I want everyone to have good conditions especially those that have proved how valuable their roles are caring and saving lives….and even emptying our bins. Not use them as scapegoats so many are keen to do quickly as Egg proves by mentioning pensions when they hit tougher times. Symptomatic of the current climate and politics as everyone seems to need to be in one camp or another.

And yes I am fully aware the private sector isn’t paved with gold and in there are horrendous conditions for many. I take no delight in that either.

Edited by whelk

23 minutes ago, whelk said:

Sounds like you are one getting excitable and upset.  I want everyone to have good conditions especially those that have proved how valuable their roles are caring and saving lives….and even emptying our bins. Not use them as scapegoats so many are keen to do quickly as Egg proves by mentioning pensions when they hit tougher times. Symptomatic of the current climate and politics as everyone seems to need to be in one camp or another.

And yes I am fully aware the private sector isn’t paved with gold and in there are horrendous conditions for many. I take no delight in that either.

It was you that started going on about doing more with less is the same as the public sector. I agree that’s my point but no one is going on about how terrible it is for the private sector, we’re just getting on with it. 

1 hour ago, whelk said:

You know if your conditions are so bad get another job. Simple

Have to agree with this (despite the flippancy). I work for a small business in the private sector, and it’s brilliant. Overheads are down, everyone works from home and the business cares for its employees. We focus on building relationships with like minded organisations and it really feels like we are winning atm. If I was being told to tighten my belt and deliver more, I’d move. But I do have the luxury of being in a role that means I would be able to find another role quite easily (I believe).

my wife on the other hand, as a teacher has had circa 1% pay increase over the past decade. I’ve told here many times to leave and find work somewhere (anywhere) else. She gets paid for 3 days a week but routinely works 60hrs. Think stacking shelves would be more lucrative! 

Edited by Plastic

3 hours ago, egg said:

Yep, I have public sector friends who have no idea of the realities of the real world of the private sector. And let's not get started on pensions. 

My snap dragon must make £500/£600 in enhancements every month. She’s in today & I bet it’ll be double time. 

35 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

My snap dragon must make £500/£600 in enhancements every month. She’s in today & I bet it’ll be double time. 

Have you ever thought that perhaps she gets the enhancements and works so many unsocial hours to get away from her husband? 🤭

• Haha 2

My son went for a bike ride round the village this morning; on the first circuit he passed a group of people discussing the vaccine, and overheard one saying "That Bill Gates is trying to sterlise us all". On the second circuit the same group were still talkihg, "I blame all the Islamic immigrants for spreading it".

13 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

My son went for a bike ride round the village this morning; on the first circuit he passed a group of people discussing the vaccine, and overheard one saying "That Bill Gates is trying to sterlise us all". On the second circuit the same group were still talkihg, "I blame all the Islamic immigrants for spreading it".

Fuck me, he must cycle slowly to hear all that as he rode by. On that basis, I’m calling pony. 

• Haha 4

I went for a drive this morning with my drivers side window down. As I passed a group of people I heard one say “how many more of our countrymen would have died had we been part of the EU vaccination policy”, before another one added “3 cheers for Brexit”  and they all cheered. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me, he must cycle slowly to hear all that as he rode by. On that basis, I’m calling pony. 

"When I am King you will be first against the wall,

with your opinions which are of no consewuence at all ".

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I went for a drive this morning with my drivers side window down. As I passed a group of people I heard one say “how many more of our countrymen would have died had we been part of the EU vaccination policy”, before another one added “3 cheers for Brexit”  and they all cheered. 

Twat.

Here's a non-paywalled Covid vaccine side effects update from me. 

I had the British-is-best Oxford AZ jab on Tuesday. Four days on, slightly surprised and delighted to say that I've seen no side effects at all. Maybe a bit of a headache on day 2 but really nothing.

The missus had Pfizer the day after, and more of a sore arm and a bit tired on Thursday etc but nothing beyond that.

Not sure what that tells anyone apart from to say that in some cases there is no downside to the vaccine, only considerable upside.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mack rill said:

0r it could tell you they run out of vaccine and you got a placebo just to keep the numbers up 😎

The most severe reactions are the more adverse you are to Microsoft, I’ve heard 

10 deaths yesterday. Are we allowed to become complacent yet? Won’t 10 people choke to death on pickled onions each day so stat is becoming irrelevant? 245 in last seven days.

Edited by whelk

There’s sure to be an element of under reporting due to the bank holiday, but it would definitely look like deaths will be into single figures soon. 

I’m not really sure how the government are going to justify the use of vaccine passports and keeping restrictions in place past June 21st if the next few months are going to see very low deaths and hospital admissions. 

The idea that the vaccine app is not going to be ready until the autumn is not good enough, by that stage the goalposts will have to move again because ‘we can’t risk letting it rip during autumn and winter’ 

Based on the crumbs they keep feeding us I can’t see a return to normal until next summer at the earliest. 

I’d love to be wrong, but the script hasn’t changed for the past year “just a few more months”. 

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

There’s sure to be an element of under reporting due to the bank holiday, but it would definitely look like deaths will be into single figures soon. 

I’m not really sure how the government are going to justify the use of vaccine passports and keeping restrictions in place past June 21st if the next few months are going to see very low deaths and hospital admissions. 

The idea that the vaccine app is not going to be ready until the autumn is not good enough, by that stage the goalposts will have to move again because ‘we can’t risk letting it rip during autumn and winter’ 

Based on the crumbs they keep feeding us I can’t see a return to normal until next summer at the earliest. 

I’d love to be wrong, but the script hasn’t changed for the past year “just a few more months”. 

They’ve known about the vaccine for nearly a year. Shouldn’t they have sorted out their position on vaccine passports by now?

1 hour ago, RedArmy said:

When was the last time a government had so much control whilst not being at war and willingly let it slip? They haven’t and they won’t. 

The hospitality industry is being crushed whilst there are less deaths than the 10 year average from a disease that appears to have cured everything, including normal flu. 

Fing bollocks

Edited by Raging Bull
  • Like 1

If the scientists have their way I think most of them would rather wait until the majority of the worlds population has been vaccinated before we get back to old normal*, which will be years from now. 

*even domestically. 

I think we’ll end up with a consistent level of “freedom” that will be tolerated by most  but the idea of big events and packed out stadiums happening before next summer seems unlikely to me. 

Basically if your life before covid was to venture out for a meal or a couple of pints maybe once a month and holiday once a year in a package holiday Spanish shithole then life will feel fairly normal apart from having to show your vaccine papers. If you liked to enjoy life then you’ll be waiting a little bit longer. 

This is now becoming negligible.  So much so, the COVID stats in England are no longer recorded at weekends.  

However, good news.  We will all get 2 LFT per week to not bother with.

If everyone who wants a vaccines, gets one, why all the fluff?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

More “maybe next year” crumbs being dropped by SAGE. 

You have to wonder why bother with the vaccine, if social distancing and masks are forced Upon us for another a year. 

wait till lockdown is demanded when the inevitable spike occurs in the winter!!!

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You have to wonder why bother with the vaccine, if social distancing and masks are forced Upon us for another a year. 

wait till lockdown is demanded when the inevitable spike occurs in the winter!!!

You do understand that there’s a difference between simply being asked to wear a mask and total worldwide lockdown? I mean, you do understand that going to a shop wearing a mask and not being able to go to a shop are actually two different possibilities?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You do understand that there’s a difference between simply being asked to wear a mask and total worldwide lockdown? I mean, you do understand that going to a shop wearing a mask and not being able to go to a shop are actually two different possibilities?

Why wear a mask at all when we have all been vaccinated?

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Why wear a mask at all when we have all been vaccinated?

Because most of the world won’t have been vaccinated within the next year and there are a reasonable number for whom the vaccine won’t be effective anyway. If we want to start allowing travel between countries which are well behind us, we’re going to have to try and limit the spread of infection wherever possible.

• Like 2