Southampton club call

Yorkshire Saint

0898 12 11 78

The trouble I got in with my dad for running up the phone bill on this number. Especially the summer Tony Cascarino turned us down for Celtic.

Anyone got any stories or memories from its time.

Kind of sits along side page 302 on ceefax and 140 on teletext watching the scores.

Edited by Nick75Sfc
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, Nick75Sfc said:

0898 12 11 78

The trouble I got in with my dad for running up the phone bill on this number. Especially the summer Tony Cascarino turned us down for Celtic.

Kind of sits along side page 302 on ceefax and 140 on teletext watching the scores.

Kind of magical pre-internet internet.

I mainly remember phoning it to find out if Vialli had signed! 

• Like 1

I worked I some big hotels in London.

I would say I needed to go to one of the rooms that was vacant and ask reception for an open line...and dial up via 9 for an outside line. 
nip back down to reception and get them to clear the switchboard for that room. 
I got away with it for years. I’m amazed they never wondered what the occasional 08 or 03 number was. 
it just got lost in the ether of a huge hotel. 
Cant believe I actually called that rubbish....but I wasn’t paying. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the mid-late 90s when this was the one of the main new sources i was doing a shit entry level sales job where we had to achieve 4 hours of phone time a day. When this number started to appear regularly on my call reports they rang it. I was given a written warning as when i say regularly I was calling it 4 times a day and listening to the whole report to get my telephone time up.

it was shite though, it was just pure speculation. I remember once they announced we’d signed Alun Armstrong from Stockport, he was quite hit property at the time. The next day he was unveiled at Middlesbrough I think it was. 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Kind of magical pre-internet internet.

I mainly remember phoning it to find out if Vialli had signed! 

Ha yeh, I remember us being linked with him. Another think I remember is they were reporting every day we were signing Matt Jansen. It seemed to go on for months, we never did, but everyday you’d have to wait until the end of the call for the latest Matt Jansen update, which was basically saying he was someone we were trying to sign in as many different ways of saying that as you can.

Omg this almost got me the sack.

Worked in the milk trade and at the end of my afternoon round I would dial in every day the club call and listen for about 20 minutes.

I rang up a bill of £938 which they made me pay back in instalments.

PS 95% of it was bullshit..

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Nick75Sfc said:

0898 12 11 78

Haha same. Started listening, heard absolutely fuck all of any substance whatsoever, quadrupled phone bill, got bollocked, never listened again. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Ha yeh, I remember us being linked with him. Another think I remember is they were reporting every day we were signing Matt Jansen. It seemed to go on for months, we never did, but everyday you’d have to wait until the end of the call for the latest Matt Jansen update, which was basically saying he was someone we were trying to sign in as many different ways of saying that as you can.

I remember the Jansen one too.  Good times.

1 hour ago, Nick75Sfc said:

Vialli ? That's a new one

Believe it was the Souness link that made it a small possibility.  (I've no idea if there was any truth in it).

2 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I remember running up bills to learn the latest on our (probably non-existent) attempts to sign Pavel Kuka or Paulo Alves, often encouraged by tempting Teletext adverts...

That was Souness too, right?

2 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

I remember running up bills to learn the latest on our (probably non-existent) attempts to sign Pavel Kuka or Paulo Alves, often encouraged by tempting Teletext adverts...

Who remembers when we were linked with a move for Mendieta when he was at Lazio? 😀

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Who remembers when we were linked with a move for Mendieta when he was at Lazio? 😀

I don't remember that one!

Just now, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Yep, think so. Thank goodness he signed Ali Dia instead...

I'm pretty sure interest in Kuka / Alves was real.  I (very randomly) remember Souness talking about them both on Meridian Tonight. 

Transfers were quite exciting under Souness.   He took about 10 players in on trial early on.  I'm sure Tore Andre Flo was part of that group.

• Like 1

I listened to the last 15 minutes of the Saints 5 - 4 Norwich game live using Clubcall when Monkou scored the winner I went apeshit and danced around the living room. I got a bollocking for running up the bill but it was worth it.

I remember ringing it and they would waffle on for ages before they even said anything of note. I seemed to remember using it to find out about friendly scores as there was no other way then and Ceefax didn’t always display them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

I listened to the last 15 minutes of the Saints 5 - 4 Norwich game live using Clubcall when Monkou scored the winner I went apeshit and danced around the living room. I got a bollocking for running up the bill but it was worth it.

I remember ringing it and they would waffle on for ages before they even said anything of note. I seemed to remember using it to find out about friendly scores as there was no other way then and Ceefax didn’t always display them.

Quality!  I was following the 5-4 on CEEFAX.  Refreshing like mad as the goals were flying in.

• Haha 1

I was asked to investigate the high phone bills at work and they gave me a huge report to go through. Good job they asked me as the worst offending number was from me phoning Saints Clubcall. I managed to bury it all rather than attempting to explain I needed to know whether Tore Andre Flo or Petter Rudi were signing. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Katalinic said:

I was asked to investigate the high phone bills at work and they gave me a huge report to go through. Good job they asked me as the worst offending number was from me phoning Saints Clubcall. I managed to bury it all rather than attempting to explain I needed to know whether Tore Andre Flo or Petter Rudi were signing. 

Petter Rudi!! Blast from the past.

Wasn't there also an Egyptian centre-back we were linked with - Hany Ramzy - after he did so well at the 1990 World Cup? I seem to recall his name popping up a bit on Clubcall too. Hmmm... the number of names I'm starting to recall alongside posts which are prompting me to remember other linked players suggests I really did waste too much time/money on Clubcall!!

• Like 1

On 09/04/2021 at 22:47, SNSUN said:

I listened to the last 15 minutes of the Saints 5 - 4 Norwich game live using Clubcall when Monkou scored the winner I went apeshit and danced around the living room.

The good old days where a goal scored was a definite goal scored pretty much straight-away. Imagine that goal today, those wild celebrations only for it then being ruled out a few minutes later because Matt Le Tiss's nose was offside or something.

I was working on a house refurbishment, the house was unoccupied but a phone was left connected. I called Clubcall at 10 am whilst having  tea break, when I sat down to lunch I could hear a tinny sound that I couldn't identify, until I realised I hadn't put the phone back on the hook! The call duration would have been in excess of 2.5 hours, what was it, 50p per min? It was the days before itemised billing so all the owner knew was she had a horrendous bill. The finger of suspicion fell onto one of the decorators who had a relative in Australia. To my shame I did nothing to quosh the rumour, ho hum, I couldn't afford to either pay the bill or lose my job at the time. No one lost their job or had teh pay, the owner was pretty minted so didn't end too badly.

• Like 1

On 09/04/2021 at 21:59, SuperSAINT said:

I remember the Jansen one too.  Good times.

Believe it was the Souness link that made it a small possibility.  (I've no idea if there was any truth in it).

Vialli met Souness I was told at Los Marinos (remember there folks?) but to go to Torino as Souness was already set on leaving Saints. He’d tried to quit after the Stockport cup defeat but was talked out of it. Word also was that he had people interested in buying the club but then Lowe and Secure Retirement turned up with the strange ‘Reverse takeover’. We all know he didn’t get on with Rupert - only WGS did really and even that wore thin.

Jansen rumour was in Dave Jones’s first season IIRC? Went to Palace instead for a £1m, did well and sold to Blackburn for x4 that. Don’t know if Saints would have got him and Beattie but would have been a better signing than Ripley or Hughes.