Memories of Sadio Mane on the OS

Charlie Wayman

Wonderful memories of Sadio as a free scoring Saint and the heady days of Top 4 life under Ronald Koeman. Looking back, what a team we had then.

If only... and remarkably there is our one and only James strutting his stuff amongst the elite.

Nice one OS, really enjoyed watching that again, stirring memories of how elated we felt in those halcyon days. 

49 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Wonderful memories of Sadio as a free scoring Saint and the heady days of Top 4 life under Ronald Koeman. Looking back, what a team we had then.

What Top 4 life was that then? Apart from a bit of early season flirting (much like we've had in, er, this season we're in right now) we didn't have a Top 4 life then.

6 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Wasn't their an agreed fee clause with him though? Might have imagined that.

I have no idea but I remember it well at the time.

We came out fighting with a 'hardline stance' of £50M then let him go for - £20M under that, presumably because Liverpool had already well and truly tapped him up by that time and then it was just a case of taking what we could get.

If @£30M was his release clause I'm pretty sure United would have paid it, because weren't they in for him aswell?

I thought what we let him go for even at that time was completely bonkers, if £50M was what we originally we wanted, we should have some balls and dug in because Liverpool wanted him badly and imo they would have paid it.

But there you go.

2 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

We valued him so much we let him go for the same money as Sissoko to Spurs in the same window, with a full pre-season aswell..

It wasn’t £30m, you’re making exactly the same mistake as this guy called Glasgow Saint, who used to post on here. According to most sources at the time the total fee was nearer £36-38m with add ons, which he will have almost certainly have triggered given that they have won everything since he went there and he’s been banging them in. 

I was there for his three minute hat-trick, I remember saying that it might be a record when the third went in! One of my favourite moments as a Saints fan.

I still wish I’d picked up one of the Super Mané mugs they released to commemorate it!

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It wasn’t £30m, you’re making exactly the same mistake as this guy called Glasgow Saint, who used to post on here. According to most sources at the time the total fee was nearer £36-38m with add ons, which he will have almost certainly have triggered given that they have won everything since he went there and he’s been banging them in. 

Well guess what.

two things.

I said @ that means about.

And I ain't glasgow fucking saint mate.

3 hours ago, Jimmy_D said:

I was there for his three minute hat-trick, I remember saying that it might be a record when the third went in! One of my favourite moments as a Saints fan.

I still wish I’d picked up one of the Super Mané mugs they released to commemorate it!

I was cooking for a wedding and was going to watch the highlights that evening. One of the waiters told me the score and I thought he was winding me up!!

I was there for the hat trick too, and I would never have thought it was within 3 minutes at the time - never crossed my mind it would be the record! That third goal was absolutely brilliant from start to finish, they don’t often show the whole build up. Great team that was.