Letting targett go! 🙄

Roger

At the point of letting Targett go, we had Bertrand who was still fairly established and easily first choice/better than Targett at the time.

Targett wanted to play games to his credit and Villa offered us £17m for his services. That £17m, for who in effect was a squad player, allowed us to buy Che Adams and strengthen up top.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at that moment it was a no-brainer of a deal as Ralph needed to improve the squad.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

At the point of letting Targett go, we had Bertrand who was still fairly established and easily first choice/better than Targett at the time.

Targett wanted to play games to his credit and Villa offered us £17m for his services. That £17m, for who in effect was a squad player, allowed us to buy Che Adams and strengthen up top.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at that moment it was a no-brainer of a deal as Ralph needed to improve the squad.

Exactly.

He wouldn’t have become the player he is at Villa playing in cup games and as a back up to Bertrand for the last two years. 

Forget hindsight, was clearly the correct decision at the time.

• Like 1

He wanted to go and play, and we were offered a load of money for him based on his quality. 

Personally I didn’t see him making a regular prem defender because he’s so slow, but he’s come on a lot at Villa. Fair play to him. Though I’m not sure he’d look as good in our leaky defence! 

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but at that moment it was a no-brainer of a deal as Ralph needed to improve the squad

It still is a no brainier of a deal. If he’d stayed he wouldn’t be the player is now. He’d be a mediocre reserve LB, probably not a lot better than Valery and we wouldn’t have Che Adams’ goals.

I don’t care if Targett wins next season’s Ballon D’Or, that deal will always be a good one for Saints.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Targett was already a solid left back when we let him go, it's absolutely not a ridiculous notion to say that we should have given him the games he wanted and cashed in on an already declining Bertrand.

Er... no he wasn’t. He got constantly caught in the wrong position and opposition teams would just wall-pass their way passed him.

He had a flaky start at Villa too but fair play to him for improving his game. Sometimes a move is the best thing for both club and player.

• Like 7

People bemoaned us not taking the £12mil for Targett from Fulham, only to sell him a year later for £17mil having probably only played about 5 games more in that time. Selling him was a good deal for us, he wouldn’t be the player he is now without leaving us, we needed the money like we always do. I’m pleased for him, he was decent for us, but he was never going to replace Bertrand and needed games.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Roger said:

Named villa player of year today. This one is on Ralph. We now have to buy two left backs. Madness in hindsight. 

Not by their fans he wasnt: https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/Martinez-voted-Supporters-Player-of-the-Season-/

But yes, he's had a great season. Sadly the timing wasnt right for us to be able to keep him for when we needed him a few years down the line.

I wouldnt put any blame on Ralph, as we dont know the circumstances. I'd guess Targett was very keen to move there after a successful loan spell (and knowing he wouldnt get many games with us) and the bean-counters were probably glad of the money for a player who was only backup. Im sure given the choice, Ralph would have kept him.

Edited by St Louis

9 minutes ago, St Louis said:

Not by their fans he wasnt: https://www.avfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/Martinez-voted-Supporters-Player-of-the-Season-/

But yes, he's had a great season. Sadly the timing wasnt right for us to be able to keep him for when we needed him a few years down the line.

I wouldnt put any blame on Ralph, as we dont know the circumstances. I'd guess Targett was very keen to move there after a successful loan spell (and knowing he wouldnt get many games with us) and the bean-counters were probably glad of the money for a player who was only backup. Im sure given the choice, Ralph would have kept him.

Selling Targett meant that we could bring in someone else. 

• Like 1