What Roma did

OldNick

Just now, skintsaint said:

I'd be up for that, give me Djenepo's chance against Newcastle or Redders against Burnley.

Thats what the Roma fan said. He was given 3 chances to prove that 'He could do that' and failed miserably. Im sure most of the people on the match thread would be unable to pass the ball let alone take a chance

11 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Thats what the Roma fan said. He was given 3 chances to prove that 'He could do that' and failed miserably. Im sure most of the people on the match thread would be unable to pass the ball let alone take a chance

They’d be too busy typing things into their speadsheets to be able to able to get on the end of any crosses 

1 minute ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

If this is what they do when the fans criticise, I wonder what's in store for when their board gets sick of Mourinho's moaning.

Some football manager addict will get the job that’s taken Sorrento FC to European champions

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Managers make comments as well sometimes as well as fans when a player makes an embarrassing balls up.

Like Harry Redknapp did when Darren Bent missed a very close range header late on in a Spurs game and Harry said even Sandra could’ve scored it. Imagine if there’d been a pre match penalty shoot out between Darren Bent and Sandra Redknapp at WHL the next game. 

4 hours ago, OldNick said:

Roma took a fan who criticised the team and got him on the pitch and he was useless, 

This would be so good if our club went to the match thread and picked a few of our goons out to do this

I volunteer if I get Theo’s £75k 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OldNick said:

Roma took a fan who criticised the team and got him on the pitch and he was useless, 

This would be so good if our club went to the match thread and picked a few of our goons out to do this

It's been a while since I've seen the word goons used on here. Love it.

8 hours ago, OldNick said:

Kind of a silly concept, you don't have to be a professional chef to know something tastes bad and you don't have to be a pro footballer to know one is playing poorly. 

If the only people who could watch a football game and have opinions were good enough to actually replace the players on the pitch then it isn't really a spectator sport. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Why? Has a fan said they'd be a better player? Should all journalists and football analysts be sacked if they aren't good players? What about managers? 

I hear way more insightful stuff from some journalists than analysts that people who played professionally. Most former pros are absymal are analysing the game because they're completely different skills. 

I'm sure anyone with any sense knows you're an amazing footballer if you've been paid to play at any level. But that doesn't mean you can't discuss the players and teams you watch and think some are relatively shit for that level. 

Agreed. Give me the opinions of someone who has studied football tactics and statistics professionally over that of a buffoon like Michael Owen or Paul Scholes any day, despite the fact they were both incredible footballers. They are simply different skills. Anyone who doesn't get that should watch Owens commentary for 10 mins or so. 

3 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Can you kick the ball straight?

Can you pass more than 10 yards?

And finally can you take penalties?

If the answers no then I guess the 75k is yours.

Reminds me of the old Kit Kat TV commercial. Manager to an aspiring band: " You can't sing, you can't dance, you look terrible... you'll go a long way!"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Agreed. Give me the opinions of someone who has studied football tactics and statistics professionally over that of a buffoon like Michael Owen or Paul Scholes any day, despite the fact they were both incredible footballers. They are simply different skills. Anyone who doesn't get that should watch Owens commentary for 10 mins or so. 

Michael Owen is one of my favourite commentators. "One man's poison is another man's meat" I suppose.

Agree about Paul Scholes, I don't like listening to him at all.

Edited by Singapore Saint

7 hours ago, Singapore Saint said:

Michael Owen is one of my favourite commentators. "One man's poison is another man's meat" I suppose.

Agree about Paul Scholes, I don't like listening to him at all.

I find Owen to be a buffoon, albeit a funny one. Heres a list of his best quotes:

15) “To stay in the game, you have to stay in the game.”

14) “That’s a fantastic penalty, but he’ll be gutted it went wide.”

13) ”I doubt Everton are going to get anything out of this game.” (when 4-0 down against Liverpool in the dying minutes)

12) “What a feeling it is to be a manager and bring someone on.”

11) “It’s definitely hit Defoe’s hand as it’s gone in, but it’s not a handball for me.”

10) ‘Footballers these days often have to use their feet’

9) ‘He looks like a footballer’

8 ) ‘He’s elbowed him in the head, but there’s nothing in it for me’

7) When speaking about the Belgian Toby Alderweireld, the Englishman spoke about his inclusion in the squad as if Spurs and Tottenham were different teams.

6) “That would’ve been a goal had it gone inside the post.”

5) ‘It’s hit the facial part of his head, there’

4) ‘If there’s a bit of rain about, it makes the surface wet’

3) ‘That’s completely unstoppable, but the keeper’s got to do better for me’

2) ‘It’s a good run, but it’s a poor run if you know what I mean?’

1) ‘When the ball is that still, it’s wobbling in the air’

Shamelessly stolen from - https://www.novibet.co.uk/blog/top-15-best-michael-owen-quotes-commentary/ - but Owen normally has a funny line or two in him. Also a big proponent of "he knows where the goal is" and "they just want it more" style of crap old school commentary with little insight!

• Haha 2

I presume ex-footballers become commentators when they don't want to do the hard work getting their coaching badges. Mind you, I watched a bit of a programme the other day whilst I was looking for a Saints stream where two ex-pros (I think..) were dissecting Manchester United's (non) performance against Liverpool.  It was quite detailed stuff but also highlighted and contrasted for me how well Saints do their press.

I was very late in learning to drive but I could still tell who was and wasn't a good driver! Obviously more experience in any field enables a more detailed critique, but you don't have to be a professional in anything to be able to comment in at least a slightly informed manner.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

. Mind you, I watched a bit of a programme the other day whilst I was looking for a Saints stream where two ex-pros (I think..) were dissecting Manchester United's (non) performance against Liverpool.  It was quite detailed stuff but also highlighted and contrasted for me how well Saints do their press.

From the commentary I'd heard, I felt Karen Carney really struggled. Cliches even the others had long given up on, struggling to put a point together to fill the commentary gaps etc.

But in one game she gave a 90 second breakdown of the midfield tactics both sides were employing in an evenly matched game. Best bit of commentary by a mile.

I've since heard her do this on a couple of other occassions. If anything, it might be the tedious lack of insight in most commentaries that's getting in the way, as she's tried to adopt that training for her own work.