Influence of Matt Crocker?

washsaint

Some of our signings since the start of last season have been really good buys.  Many of the players have needed time to bed in but in their 2nd season are starting to look real stars.  Salisu and Diallo look exceptionally good.

Add in the purchase of Tino and loan signing of Broja and we seem to be getting back to the inspired buys rather than dross on inflated salaries.

With the U18s looking so much better this year just how much has Crocker's influence played a major part in our (embryonic) growth as a club?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Club have done well to get this squad together with the money, lack of money, we have had. Crocker is the main addition to that team.

This team is better at the back than last season, has a forward threat down both flanks, much more balance to our play. We, so far, have lacked the finishing we had with Ings but Broja has looked good and I liked what I saw from Armstrong today, 5 decent attempts just needs to find the finish.

Add to the young first team players, Small and Simeu and there is a clear change in the type of player we are bringing in both in profile and quality.

Got to think Crocker has had a big input on that front, hope it continues. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I don't want to be doom and gloom but I think it's in my DNA...

No head of recruitment, now Matt Crocker leaving only after 2 years in the job.. It's as if they can't wait to get out. Add in we're in a proper relegation dog fight and things don't look too rosy at the moment. 

It's a nervy time. (when isn't it?)

12 minutes ago, SaintLondon said:

No head of recruitment, now Matt Crocker leaving only after 2 years in the job.. It's as if they can't wait to get out. Add in we're in a proper relegation dog fight and things don't look too rosy at the moment. 

Not really, not with two thirds of the season left. We are at risk of relegation but with most of the season left, two points off safety and 7 off top half too early to start thinking about dog fight. 

You normally have a good idea after Christmas but with the world Cup it will be nearer February before you can really see who is going to be battling to the end. 

I'm pretty optimistic we will slowly ease out of bottom 3 with out Jan fixtures, but let's see. 

I have no idea what Crocker adds to the club, so have no opinion on him going but could be new owners trying to improve and be positive... Just maybe? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SaintLondon said:

From his point of view, nobody wants a relegation on their CV.; from ours, he's been a part of the management team that's got us into the bottom 3. 

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 2

What I find interesting about Sheldon is that he supposedly covers the Manc clubs now, yet he still is involved in loads of Saints pieces.  Indicates to me that he is the one with all of the contacts at the club and his replacement Tanswell doesn’t appear to be able to establish these himself.

1 minute ago, Barsiem said:

What I find interesting about Sheldon is that he supposedly covers the Manc clubs now, yet he still is involved in loads of Saints pieces.  Indicates to me that he is the one with all of the contacts at the club and his replacement Tanswell doesn’t appear to be able to establish these himself.

Although Tanswell landed the interview with SR…

Jumped or pushed? There is always a back story to these events that we never get to hear about until years later. If he was a believer in Ralph the changes that have been made to the coaching staff may have been foisted upon him rather than being his decision. That certainly would have made his position untenable.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

Great news about David Thomas. From everything I’ve heard from people at the club, he was a prize knob and won’t be missed. Definitely not a loss. 

Crocker is an interesting one, Ralph had so much first team power that his influence would’ve been less that it could’ve been, the academy wasn’t a focus despite the need for it to be. 

Sports Republic making room for their own. 

Both of these fellas were Semmens appointments so will he be next? 

• Like 1