Do Saints have a mentality problem?

Fraser Spinney

Yes absolutely. We have had major problems as  long as I have supported Saints - since 1969. Our ability to beat strong teams but to get turned over time and again by really poor teams while constantly conceding late goals, and often two goals within minutes are all signs of a problem with psychology rather than capability.

• Like 1

I think we have a squad of players who have been here for a long time and are basically associated with repeated failure. We also have a lot of players that are streaky as all hell, they go from looking very good and talented, to then having periods of looking like complete clueless cloggers. 

Getting rid of some of the older failed and clearly not good enough faces would be a good idea IMO, the likes of Stephens, Redmond, Forster, McCarthy, Long have been here a long time and are probably considered 'senior' players but they are not very good and its difficult for them to lead the team when they are never confident in their own form. Could probably add Bednerak in there as well, and as the article states JWP is a lead by example captain not a shouty one, but the other 'characters' or 'senior' players in the dressing room are either bad (the players mentioned) or quieter like say Romeu or Armstrong who are solid reliable players, but seem more reserved individuals.

I kind of wonder if you get rid of those sort of players that probably dominate the dressing room dynamic, some of the others like Salisu, KWP etc. might step up and we see a better mentality.

100% as well Ralph needs help, a second set of eyes. The Athletic article on the U18s success this season comments on how well the two main coaches have done, and how they have differing strengths and personalities that compliment each other well. We really need some ying to the yang I think, he needs a trusted assistant.  

• Like 1

Yes no winners or leaders on the pitch. You rarely see a player get ripped a new one for a sloppy pass or mistake by a team mate like successful clubs do. It almost like the players have accepted that as a club mediocrity is success. We are the public sector of football club, can get by and survive without having to bust a gut or have any real drive or ambition 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

100% as well Ralph needs help, a second set of eyes. The Athletic article on the U18s success this season comments on how well the two main coaches have done, and how they have differing strengths and personalities that compliment each other well. We really need some ying to the yang I think, he needs a trusted assistant.  

Saints recruit Ralph's new assistant...

R.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This is what we need, players sacked at half time, “you, you little cunt, and you, you big cunt”. Classic “bring your dinner” 😂😂

Orient went on to lose the match 1–0, and after winning only one of the next 15 games, both Sitton and Turner were sacked two months later. - from wiki.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Problem is the modern day they believe that it should all be about encouragement as shouting at someone makes them worse.

Maybe throw the rule book out and start kicking a few hairdryers about, might just put a bit of fire in the lads coming out defending that usual 1-0 lead.

21 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Orient went on to lose the match 1–0, and after winning only one of the next 15 games, both Sitton and Turner were sacked two months later. - from wiki.

And John Sitton now drives a taxi for a living.

Definitely what we need.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

Definitely a mental (or attitude, if that's not the same thing) problem.  Also a physicality problem. When was the last time we had a Saint Maximin / Michael Antonio* / Adama Traore brick shlt-house type player who you can give the ball to when you're under pressure knowing they will head for goal with the ball and any opposition trying to stop them are just going to bounce off them.

*possibly MA was the last such player but we didn't keep him

25 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Also a physicality problem. When was the last time we had a Saint Maximin / Michael Antonio* / Adama Traore brick shlt-house type player who you can give the ball to when you're under pressure knowing they will head for goal with the ball and any opposition trying to stop them are just going to bounce off them.

*possibly MA was the last such player but we didn't keep him

Stuart Armstrong is very difficult to get off the ball when on a dribble

On 20/05/2022 at 01:03, Holmes_and_Watson said:

So that worked then 😂
Straight out of the Margaret Thatcher Guide to Successful Man Management, 1987.

Edited by sadoldgit

I would say these players are disenchanted, perhaps with the fans too. Recognition and rewards are very important in the modern world. I've seen very often when they get something good going, for instance in the key area of combinations, those combinations are broken up. Sometimes a player will put in a fine performance [I'm thinking of players like Bednerak and Redmond] and get very little praise or recognition ... if they don't do good [which they sometimes don't] they get torn to pieces.

Sometimes a player's good performance is rewarded with being dropped for long spells, not even making the bench. Some players seem to be pets others get treated as ne'er do wells.

Sure they are professionals still they are human. We are usually a happy club and that is when we do well. At the moment I sense they are not happy.

In the olden days the player's place in the team was earned and once they are in the team they stay in, these days they are changed quicker than a kaleidescope.

.... just my thoughts, don't howl at me 😊

• Like 2

On 19/05/2022 at 22:10, Micky said:

Not sure about the mentality, but we've certainly got no bollux. 

We lack leadership................................need a Roy Keane type voice out there to try and galvanize the game plan.

It’s the manager .. players don’t wana play for him anymore…. Foxes will kick our arse tomorrow and he’ll come out with ..we finished staying in the league blah 😑 blah fookin blah !! He’s not getting sacked and i bet Macca will be our no.1 next season.

if you’ve renewed you’re season ticket you must have a total lack of respect for money 💰 

• Like 1