New no. 7

Paulwantsapint81

I'm presuming JWP moved to 8 when it became available after being 16 because he wanted 8. I'd reckon if he really wanted 7 he'd have probably got 7.

Maybe give it to Dibling, might convince him to stay.

But realistically I can see it going to whatever striker or no.10 we sign. 

14 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Not for me, he’s an 8.

To be fair, so is Kante, but he wears 7. 

But agreed, 8 is probably the ‘right’ number for him, but 7 holds a bit of prestige for us and you’d have to say he’s probably the most influential player for us.. seems a natural fit. 

Although; Like someone else said, if he wanted it I’m sure he would have been given it. 

20 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Are you joking or serious?

Give a 16 year old 1st year scholar the 1st team squad number that is the most iconic number at the club to convince him to stay?

I'm not sure that is a precedent the club should be setting, nor do I think it would work as if he leaves it'll be because of money and a 1st team squad number doesn't really matter much.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I'm presuming JWP moved to 8 when it became available after being 16 because he wanted 8. I'd reckon if he really wanted 7 he'd have probably got 7.

But realistically I can see it going to whatever striker or no.10 we sign. 

A million pounds over 3 years at Newcastle or the no 7 jersey and a pittance at saints ….. hmmmm

i’d take the money that’s an insane number for a kid who could wash out and be playing Ryman league by the time he is 20!

Edited by a1ex2001

On 02/07/2022 at 12:15, The Cat said:

Should probably retire it now Long has left, anyone inheriting it will crumble under the pressure of living up to his legacy.

Jesus H, way to support players who give their all for years.👏 one of the booboys on the terraces too I suppose

• Like 1

On 02/07/2022 at 12:15, The Cat said:

Should probably retire it now Long has left, anyone inheriting it will crumble under the pressure of living up to his legacy.

On the flip side when a new number seven gets in a position he might think “what would Shane do?” Then he’d know Instinctively to do the opposite is the right decision 

7 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Jesus H, way to support players who give their all for years.👏 one of the booboys on the terraces too I suppose

Was tongue in cheek. Look on the Long thread, that's where my real thoughts about him are.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Was tongue in cheek. Look on the Long thread, that's where my real thoughts about him are.

Fair play, just get annoyed at the constant haranguing of a solid player for us. I don’t get the mentality of some of our fans who berate him so much. Never heard any criticism from him nor any billy big bollocks hissy fits, just professional behavior and for him to have snarky comments from certain folks is just embarrassing. 

Im sure some will say “it’s a board, we’re meant to criticise, banter or stop crying your eyes out but it’s been going on for years and it gets tired very quickly.

Shane deserves a better send off. There rant over

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

No, a post can make and have a point. Some just make absolutely no point

and you seem to have missed both tounge in cheek posts on here, sometimes you need to understand the point. :facepalm:

On 02/07/2022 at 12:09, Matthew Le God said:

Are you joking or serious?

Give a 16 year old 1st year scholar the 1st team squad number that is the most iconic number at the club to convince him to stay?

I'm not sure that is a precedent the club should be setting, nor do I think it would work as if he leaves it'll be because of money and a 1st team squad number doesn't really matter much.

You misunderstand the fundamental saints fan  psychology in these times, to be a Saints legend you must fulfil one or more of the following criteria:-

a) Leave the club having never played, or hardly ever played for the first team

b) Do not sign for the club despite a high degree of potential rumours / fantasising / unfounded speculation

c) Be a Saints transfer target no one had ever heard of before we expressed an interest (However, the SWF intelligence will swear blind they have been avidly following his career to date).

It's far easier to lose legendary status, this can be achieved in the following ways:-

a) age and injuries catch up (he was never any good)

b) you see your future somewhere else you perceive as up the food chain

c)  having your own views on things 

d)  General point - Just by playing for Saints = he is the the worst player evva'  and is stealing a living in the premier league

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d love it if some team gave their #1 jersey to a midfielder or something. Just to mess with all the anal pedants out there.

It's been done. In the '78 world cup (and maybe others) Argentina allocated numbers in alphabetical order, so Ardiles was #1.

32 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

It's been done. In the '78 world cup (and maybe others) Argentina allocated numbers in alphabetical order, so Ardiles was #1.

and the keeper had number 5.   it was Argentina I had in mind when I suggested Bazunu,   And they Won the World cup,   so it may be lucky.

Dic11UhVQAAWF2e?format=jpg&name=4096x409

48 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’d love it if some team gave their #1 jersey to a midfielder or something. Just to mess with all the anal pedants out there.

Is there actually any rule that says an outfield player can't have #1?

1 hour ago, Hatch said:

and the keeper had number 5.   it was Argentina I had in mind when I suggested Bazunu,   And they Won the World cup,   so it may be lucky.

Dic11UhVQAAWF2e?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Funny first post, followed up by interesting follow ups, with something I didn't know. Who says the posts are pointless? 🙂