Southampton City Thread

The Cat

Thought it worthwhile having a thread where we can post about stuff that's happening in the city and surrounding area seeing as most of us either live here or used to.

There's already a Southampton group on Reddit but that's largely questions from people moving to the city, others asking what the best restaurants are or posts about helicopters.

Let's start with the news that some of us may be under water by 2030.

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/23444608.areas-southampton-underwater-2030/

Not sure if that's more annoying than the Itchen Bridge toll going up to £1 in peak times, but neither are great news!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Unity brewery is coming back in some form or another which is great news.

I'm cynical, based upon who's purchased it. But would be delighted to be wrong.

A number of the staff are returning - so if nothing else then for their sake.

Edited by ant

42 minutes ago, ant said:

I'm cynical, based upon who's purchased it. But would be delighted to be wrong.

A number of the staff are returning - so if nothing else then for their sake.

Interesting. Is it a bigger brewery?

8 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

Does anyone know when the bar gate development will complete? Or when the toysrus will start?

Bargate in 2024, ToysRUs was meant to start 'early 2023' it's now 'sometime in 2023'. Demolition hasn't even started yet (was meant to be last year). With the cost of building materials escalating, they're probably getting a bit nervous about the £200m completion figure. Shame, that and the failed Nelson Gate redevelopment would have significantly improved the area around the Central station.

The Leisureworld, Debenhams and Britannia Road Gasworks projects also appear to have stalled.

Edited by alehouseboys
Typo

3 minutes ago, alehouseboys said:

For those interested, this city masterplan maps out how they want Southampton to develop over the next couple of decades

https://www.southampton.gov.uk/media/bulfgzn2/mayflower-quarter-masterplan-c.pdf

spacer.png

...good luck with that, it takes an age to get anything off the ground in this city, probably not in my lifetime!

Been waiting for the mono-rail for 40 years. Remember the grand designs being front page of the Echo when I were a lad

• Like 2

On 27/04/2023 at 17:34, benjii said:

Anyone seen The Laughing Paki lately?

N.B. it's not racist, that's his Nom De Guerre.

I came on here to post about him funnily enough! Someone posted a photo on Facebook not long ago as he’s been spotted in town recently. Someone in the comments was asking what his new “woke” name could be.

7 hours ago, bpsaint said:

I came on here to post about him funnily enough! Someone posted a photo on Facebook not long ago as he’s been spotted in town recently. Someone in the comments was asking what his new “woke” name could be.

Must be knocking on a bit by now. He was no spring chicken when I was a nipper!

I understand he remains resolutely anti-woke.

On 29/04/2023 at 06:29, benjii said:

Must be knocking on a bit by now. He was no spring chicken when I was a nipper!

I understand he remains resolutely anti-woke.

Clearly has severe mental and physical health difficulties, I'm amazed he's still about. Feel sorry for the guy. What a life, spending your entire time being tormented and abused by kids and divs.

51 minutes ago, Saint Mikey said:

Clearly has severe mental and physical health difficulties, I'm amazed he's still about. Feel sorry for the guy. What a life, spending your entire time being tormented and abused by kids and divs.

Probably oblivious to it. I assumed he was bi polar and was laughing when at manic stage and no one saw him when he wasn’t laughing. Maybe he is ageless and put there as an angel to see how folk treat him?

• 5 weeks later...
On 25/04/2023 at 05:16, ant said:

Smaller, interestingly. Albeit with other backing.

A bit late back to this but after speaking to other people I wonder if we can expect to see the new Unity beer served in the Social, The Loft, Heartbreakers, Xoxo and Papillon in future?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Anyone going to the beer festival at St Mary's this weekend? Might pop down tomorrow and spend the evening complaining about the beer normally served in the stadium.

Not myself, as I'm running an Omnipollo tap takeover at The Butcher's Hook, Friday to Sunday.

Copped some flak from one of the CAMRA guys for daring to put something on at the same time as the festival.

But surely fringe events are a good thing? 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Unity 2.0 pans out. Good beer in more places isn't to be sniffed at. Just hope they remain authentic to the brewing as-was.

6 hours ago, ant said:

Not myself, as I'm running an Omnipollo tap takeover at The Butcher's Hook, Friday to Sunday.

Copped some flak from one of the CAMRA guys for daring to put something on at the same time as the festival.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how Unity 2.0 pans out. Good beer in more places isn't to be sniffed at. Just hope they remain authentic to the brewing as-was.

Good luck, hope the takeover goes well. Some of the CAMRA lot do seem a bit strange.

I really should make the effort to pop in to Butcher's Hook, I'm just never really in Bitterne Triangle.

On 24/04/2023 at 17:45, buctootim said:

You'd think the National Oceanorgraphy centre would have planned it better. 

image.thumb.png.7742ad741e44807412295fd5c22098f6.png

I really have trouble with these projections.

Go to Bournemouth or Brighton piers and see how much the water has risen in over 100 years. Are they telling us water levels are going to surge 3 to 4 feet or more in 7 years?????

Edited by OldNick

36 minutes ago, whelk said:

Some poor incontinent pensioner just trying to keep warm and occupied I guess? Or a niche sex game? Hard to know which 

It says at the end it was GM - so definitely incontinent pensioner.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 02/06/2023 at 01:05, ant said:

Problem Unity had was the location and charging over £6 a pint doesn’t draw people down. 

2 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Problem Unity had was the location and charging over £6 a pint doesn’t draw people down. 

Energy cost + ingredients cost means that's where the price is for anything that's not macro-brewed swill.

If the market's not willing to pay it then fair enough. But if the inference was that it was naked profiteering then that's very much not the case.

Based upon my own experience of the industry and the continuing success of places like Olaf's Tun, The Butcher's Hook, The Bookshop Alehouse, The Dancing Man etc. I feel it's fairly clear that there's still a desire for quality beer in the city, even if the pricepoint's premium.

I've seen successful taprooms in far more obscure areas so am not sure the location's necessarily a critical issue either. And for any brewery worth its salt, the taproom's an extra arm of revenue rather than making up the bread & butter of sales.

49 minutes ago, ant said:

Energy cost + ingredients cost means that's where the price is for anything that's not macro-brewed swill.

If the market's not willing to pay it then fair enough. But if the inference was that it was naked profiteering then that's very much not the case.

Based upon my own experience of the industry and the continuing success of places like Olaf's Tun, The Butcher's Hook, The Bookshop Alehouse, The Dancing Man etc. I feel it's fairly clear that there's still a desire for quality beer in the city, even if the pricepoint's premium.

I've seen successful taprooms in far more obscure areas so am not sure the location's necessarily a critical issue either. And for any brewery worth its salt, the taproom's an extra arm of revenue rather than making up the bread & butter of sales.

The best tap room for me charges nowhere near that Flacks  is £4 a pint and do some great traditional beers. 
As a regular user of number of craft beer places Steel Tank , Steamtown, Bookshop, Witches, Clockwork all do quality craft for far less than £6 a pint that was my point and making an extra trip to Northam isn’t going to be on my list.

The brewing industry is struggling we just lost a good one in Red Cat, Ringwood is being sold off but think that’s different they haven’t kept up trend. Itchen Valley went too.

Thankfully Alfred is back .

Maybe the new owners who have outlets in Southampton mentioned above can  help Unity prosper by selling it .

22 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

The best tap room for me charges nowhere near that Flacks  is £4 a pint and do some great traditional beers. 

That's apples and oranges, though. Trad ales are cheaper to produce.

The dry-hop alone in something like Conflux will likely cost the same as the entire ingredients bill in a Flacks or Steam Town ale.

Can't remember the last time I paid less than £6 a pint for the actual 1:1 equivalent of a Unity beer in, say, The Bookshop.

35 minutes ago, ant said:

That's apples and oranges, though. Trad ales are cheaper to produce.

The dry-hop alone in something like Conflux will likely cost the same as the entire ingredients bill in a Flacks or Steam Town ale.

Can't remember the last time I paid less than £6 a pint for the actual 1:1 equivalent of a Unity beer in, say, The Bookshop.

I just checked a keg price list at one of my usual and yep you are right 5:80 .

It’s probably best I stick to cask being a tight git! Mary only does cask anyway.

🙂

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

I just checked a keg price list at one of my usual and yep you are right 5:80 .

It’s probably best I stick to cask being a tight git! Mary only does cask anyway.

🙂

Lots of fantastic cask about, too - we get through tons of Vibrant Forest, Dark Revolution, Steam Town, Eight Arch, Flower Pots et al at The Hook.

Plenty of less traditional, nationally-recognised breweries dipping their toes into cask, too. Have had some glorious pints recently from the likes Cloudwater, Verdant, Kernel, Vocation...

We don't have it too bad 'round these parts.

1 hour ago, ant said:

Lots of fantastic cask about, too - we get through tons of Vibrant Forest, Dark Revolution, Steam Town, Eight Arch, Flower Pots et al at The Hook.

Plenty of less traditional, nationally-recognised breweries dipping their toes into cask, too. Have had some glorious pints recently from the likes Cloudwater, Verdant, Kernel, Vocation...

We don't have it too bad 'round these parts.

Dead right gone are the days of John Smiths or Doom Bar only and bars like yours have really given us drinkers some great choices.

We are really lucky round here, I like Stonehenge, Downton and Bowman’s especially. 

I believe Dark Revolution are providing all Cunard beers on their ships tried a few like the Gold.
I hear good things about The Hook must get over that way.

Do you know what happened to Tap It?

11 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Dead right gone are the days of John Smiths or Doom Bar only and bars like yours have really given us drinkers some great choices.

We are really lucky round here, I like Stonehenge, Downton and Bowman’s especially. 

I believe Dark Revolution are providing all Cunard beers on their ships tried a few like the Gold.
I hear good things about The Hook must get over that way.

Do you know what happened to Tap It?

I bought a Tap It beer in that posh Indian down the bottom of town a month or so ago so I presume they are still going.

Used to get takeouts from them before COVID but then they seemed to shut the tap room.

On 13/06/2023 at 09:25, Give it to Ron said:

Thankfully Alfred is back .

The King Alf on Old Northam Road is back?

Who remembers the after game entertainment they used to put on upstairs? Are pubs still allowed to do that nowadays?

39 minutes ago, Rut said:

Who remembers the after game entertainment they used to put on upstairs? Are pubs still allowed to do that nowadays?

No sorry I meant the Alfred Brewery in Winchester who make great beer. 
Engineers close to ground is though

3 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

No sorry I meant the Alfred Brewery in Winchester who make great beer. 

Thought this thread was about Southampton - not dirty northern shitholes like Winchester.

Shame it ain't the Southampton King Alf - that was always a handy pub for games & used to put gigs on during the week as well.

• 1 month later...
On 17/06/2023 at 17:36, Rut said:

Ah those were the days. I was just a teenager and my dad would take me in there. By the time I hit my early 20s it was just a normal boozer on match days. 

Seem to remember they tried the same at The Royal Oak a few times. Would never get away with it now! 

17 hours ago, Golden Balls said:

Ah those were the days. I was just a teenager and my dad would take me in there. By the time I hit my early 20s it was just a normal boozer on match days. 

Seem to remember they tried the same at The Royal Oak a few times. Would never get away with it now! 

On behalf of the junior members of the forum, what did they get away with?

• 3 weeks later...