Protests

Pamplemousse

10 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Maybe we can invite Just Stop Oil and ask them to disrupt our next match at St Mary's. At least it would be entertaining for us.

Could we then take a 3-0 defeat if it's cancelled? 

Maybe they can do that on the final day, rather than than Liverpool tearing us for 6 or 7.

On 15/04/2023 at 17:47, Pamplemousse said:

Genuine question. At what point do the fans start to organise against the board, who I think most agree are responsible for this mess?

Look at clubs like Everton for example, whose fans have been far more vocal against their leadership.

I can't see that protesting is going to achieve anything at this point tbh.

It isn't so much the board, as the ownership... and in particular Mr "i won't get involved" rasmus ankerson.

Reality is under Semmens and Ralph were stable despite no owner input for years. SR have come in, and in one year of decision making, they've totally changed the coaching setup, ended our attacking press style of play, dismantled the scouting set up, lost a load of important academy staff, sacked ralph and hired jones (entirely on rasmus seemingly based on the fans forum), and then lamped us with the players best mate in selles. Its clear that all of that is under Rasmus' decision making, and its clear as well that Semmens has disagreed with parts of it (particularly jones) but has no power to disagree with Rasmus.

But, SR / Solak himself have ultimately been committed and put a lot of money into the club -and in reality have put in more than i think saints fans ever reasonably hoped to see. Protesting that is not constructive ultimately? Especially as if they did actually walk away / lose interest, the club itself would be left servicing the debt accrued on player contracts, transfer spend, agents fees, and manager costs whcih have been accrued under their short tenureship - we should all actually be quite happy that SR remain committed.

And we surely can all see the issue is Ramus? and we just have to hope that Rasmus takes a step back from the decision making process in the summer. To give him some benefit of the doubt, i think shields leaving has forced him to get more involved this year... but clearly he has been out of his depth. Going foreword (whether he is made to, or through his own personal choice) he has to step back. We cannot continue to have him involved in important decisions at club level. Semmens was doing a reasonable job previously (albeit with limited resources), and we can only hope that Wilcox knows what he is about.

Huge rebuild on the cards this summer and it really is last chance saloon to make something out of the investment made to date. Players like Lavia, Bazunu, ABK, Sulemana, Edozie, Alcaraz remain very promising youngsters and they are on long contracts. A good year in the championship will ultimately do them a lot of good as players and as a team, and immediate promotion back to the top flight will mitigate the financial impact (alongside a few key sales and parachute payments)... But if we stay down in the championship everything will be undone sadly.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

Interesting Athletic article HERE if you can access it . Basically virtually every one outside the top 6 follows the a similar cycle of promotion, over acheiving, making tweaks to management/playing staff as that group get stale/too old/get poached by big 6, become established and lose the underdog spirtit,  make a few mistakes in recruitment, struggle, eventually go down. Anything over 5 years and you're doing well. We've done better than most - outside traditional top 6 and Everton we are longest serving with West Ham at 11 seasons. We might not like it, but we've overstayed our welcome, it's simply our turn. ☹️

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Now I have some more posts available, may I ask who/what the above is?

Someone who sits in the Chapel End i believe.

I have another question for you, have you ever done any charity events, you know, standard sort of stuff like a 5k walk?

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Someone who sits in the Chapel End i believe.

I have another question for you, have you ever done any charity events, you know, standard sort of stuff like a 5k walk?

Did he upset this DMan poster then?

Not charity work like that, why do you ask?

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this seeing as we’re effectively down and have 2 home games left. Given the apathy and despondency of the home crowd I don’t see any sort of protest being supported energetically so wonder if there’s appetite for simply not turning up to the next 2 games? 
People have suggested nothing will speak more to the board than an empty stadium.

Of course, with football tourism I imagine it’d result in a load of away fans turning up (certainly Liverpool) instead but I’m not sure Rasmus, Semmens etc quite ‘get it’ about what a cluster f*** they’ve made - even now - so a very visible signpost might help? 
Probably pointless, know … just thoroughly depressed and in need of an outlet  I guess 😞

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Bumping this seeing as we’re effectively down and have 2 home games left. Given the apathy and despondency of the home crowd I don’t see any sort of protest being supported energetically so wonder if there’s appetite for simply not turning up to the next 2 games? 
People have suggested nothing will speak more to the board than an empty stadium.

Of course, with football tourism I imagine it’d result in a load of away fans turning up (certainly Liverpool) instead but I’m not sure Rasmus, Semmens etc quite ‘get it’ about what a cluster f*** they’ve made - even now - so a very visible signpost might help? 
Probably pointless, know … just thoroughly depressed and in need of an outlet  I guess 😞

I think this would be a sensible protest because we are not a rowdy fan base so the conventional protest outside stadium wouldn't happen. Ticket sales are clearly not matching actual attendances as so many empty seats so the fans are already not bothering to turn up knowing they will be watching a snoozefest.

Everything just feels a bit apathetic with us right now. The whole feel of the club is just ''oh well, shit happens''. 

I mean there were fans at the Bournemouth game who clapped the players off the pitch FFS. Seriously, they don't deserve our support right now!

Have we been forced into believing the tripe that we have always been lucky to be in the PL or something?

On 15/04/2023 at 19:20, JRM said:

I didn't say that did I. 

Tell you what , experience an away game at Goodison and an away day at St Mary's as a player, you'll understand what I mean then

Having watched the Everton vs Newcastle game in a bar on Thursday, I’m still non the wiser as to what Goodison and Everton fans have that we don’t. The place practically emptied itself in between Schar’s fantastic fifth goal and it being disallowed for offside.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

Our team have done that for over a year now.  That's probably enough people 'not turning up' for one club.

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I think a lot of people have stopped going, I see different faces around me every game now, a lot of our “more recent citizens” seem to be attending in their place. 

There’s only one chap near me who (like me)has his seat since day 1 at SMS. After our loss the other night he basically said he’d had enough. Very surprised given what we’ve seen together over the last 20 years. But that does seem a worrying trend. 
I get that it’s god awful at the moment, but the way I see it, it makes the good times all the better….are we going to see 20k attendances next season do we think??

12 hours ago, LeBizzier69 said:

There’s only one chap near me who (like me)has his seat since day 1 at SMS. After our loss the other night he basically said he’d had enough. Very surprised given what we’ve seen together over the last 20 years. But that does seem a worrying trend. 
I get that it’s god awful at the moment, but the way I see it, it makes the good times all the better….are we going to see 20k attendances next season do we think??

Hopefully, there will be an effective overhaul in the summer, and the chap near you can come back ahead of a brighter, more entertaining season in the Championship. Should we get promoted, then he can consider quitting. At least he can quit when we're on the up. 🙂

20 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Someone bring a pack of danish bacon, a 4 pack of carlsberg (drunk) and a box of Lego and throw it on the pitch in protest.

These danish jokers need to know we are very upset.

Reminds me of the intended plastic duck protest against Rupert. Didn’t materialise. 

• Like 1

Something that grates on me is how accepting we are as a fanbase these days. People clapping the players off after absolute dross. I’ll be honest, I walked 3/4 around the inside of the stadium on Thursday to give some verbal to the directors. I was the only one who made a peep. Everyone just continued to clap the players down the tunnel. They get away with it far too easily. 

• Like 1

On 29/04/2023 at 11:46, Lighthouse said:

Having watched the Everton vs Newcastle game in a bar on Thursday, I’m still non the wiser as to what Goodison and Everton fans have that we don’t. The place practically emptied itself in between Schar’s fantastic fifth goal and it being disallowed for offside.

Flares and some with smoke

37 minutes ago, Golden Balls said:

Something that grates on me is how accepting we are as a fanbase these days. People clapping the players off after absolute dross. I’ll be honest, I walked 3/4 around the inside of the stadium on Thursday to give some verbal to the directors. I was the only one who made a peep. Everyone just continued to clap the players down the tunnel. They get away with it far too easily. 

Question I raised before, which of the directors were attending ? Semmens probably (lost family time, bless him), but what about Rasmus W. and the other Danish bloke ? 

45 minutes ago, Golden Balls said:

Paying to get into a match so you can give some verbal to the directors you're paying will never not make me laugh. Only protests that have any merit involve not going to the games, the rest just look silly even if they do make you feel better about yourself. 

9 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Paying to get into a match so you can give some verbal to the directors you're paying will never not make me laugh. Only protests that have any merit involve not going to the games, the rest just look silly even if they do make you feel better about yourself. 

If ever there’s a good time to protest by not going to the games this is it ..

is there even any point in going .? We are gonna play boring shit .. we are gonna lose .. we are gonna get relegated .. and manager is going to pick the least exciting players he possibly can ..