Israel

egg

The behaviour of the Israeli government is going from appalling to worse. Air strikes and army raid resulting in 5 deaths (including a kid), and 91 injured today. All to arrest 2 people. On no assessment is that proportionate or necessary.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/6/19/deaths-injuries-as-israeli-forces-raid-jenin-2

They've also given the nod to built almost another 5000 settlement homes. 

Is there any prospect of western governments taking a stand on this? 

It seems that you can’t criticise the Israelis nowadays without being labelled an antisemite or Holocaust denier.

The was going to be a film screened at Glastonbury about Jeremy Corbyn and the “conspiracy theory” about him being antisemitic but the Board of Deputies of British Jews has lent on the organisers and they have pulled it. Pure censorship and if this had been the other way round you can imagine the uproar.

It is a massively complex situation and goodness knows how you reach a compromise that would satisfy both sides, but given the way that Jewish people have been discriminated against through the ages their treatment of the Palestinians does them no credit. You don’t get a free pass to crush someone or displace them just because it has happened to you in the past.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/jeremy-corbyn-board-of-deputies-of-british-jews-labour-jewish-los-angeles-b2361117.html

Edited by sadoldgit
Correction and added link

24 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

It seems that you can’t criticise the Israelis nowadays without being labelled an antisemite or Holocaust denier.

The was going to be a film screened at Glastonbury about Jeremy Corbyn and the “conspiracy theory” about him being antisemitism but the British Board of Jewish Deputies has lent on the organisers and they have pulled it. Pure censorship and if this had been the other way round you can imagine the uproar.

It is a massively complex situation and goodness knows how you reach a compromise that would satisfy both sides, but given the way that Jewish people have been discriminated against through the ages their treatment of the Palestinians does them no credit. You don’t get a free pass to crush someone or displace them just because it has happened to you in the past.

Spoken like a true antisemite 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The was going to be a film screened at Glastonbury about Jeremy Corbyn and the “conspiracy theory” about him being antisemitism but the British Board of Jewish Deputies has lent on the organisers and they have pulled it. Pure censorship and if this had been the other way round you can imagine the uproar.

It is interesting you say that. One might also ask, why it is you cannot disagree with Labour views and policies without being labelled a bigot, racist, gammon right wing nutter. If we want to do away with labels, perhaps first we need to ALL stop using them?

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

It is interesting you say that. One might also ask, why it is you cannot disagree with Labour views and policies without being labelled a bigot, racist, gammon right wing nutter. If we want to do away with labels, perhaps first we need to ALL stop using them?

You can, you only get called those things if you are those things 😉.

I would suggest that this particular label is a lot more emotive. People get called Pinko’s, Lefties, Blobs, Enemies of the People, Remoaners and the above all the time and no one bats an eyelid. Once you get labelled an antisemite it packs more punch, which is what hurt Corbyn and why he should have taken it much more seriously and fought his corner harder.

The term is weaponised and is used to shut down criticism of Israeli actions all of the time.

As for removing labels, good luck with that! 

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

given the way that Jewish people have been discriminated against through the ages their treatment of the Palestinians does them no credit. You don’t get a free pass to crush someone or displace them just because it has happened to you in the past.

You need to be more careful with your language here Soggy. It looks like you're portraying the entire Jewish diaspora as a single homogeneous entity and blaming them all for the actions of the Israeli government.

There’s a word for that. Can you guess what it is?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Beautiful country, well it was 40 years ago when I visited. Incredibly safe & crime free where we stayed despite its neighbours wanting to obliterate it. 

Also worked for an Israeli guy who owned a hotel / night club in ‘87/‘88. Fuck me, he had some dodgy associates & his head of security was the hardest bastard I ever met in my life. Nobody fucked around with him. Nice people though, very loyal to people who worked hard & were straight with them.

I wonder if modern woke pony has infested their society. Got the Aussies & Canadians, so probably has. Thinking of taking the snap dragon there one of these days. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

You need to be more careful with your language here Soggy. It looks like you're portraying the entire Jewish diaspora as a single homogeneous entity and blaming them all for the actions of the Israeli government.

There’s a word for that. Can you guess what it is?

You have fallen into the same trap! As I am sure you know, it is entirely possible to be against a nation’s policy against another without hating its populous. I will call out the Russian invasion of Ukraine all day long but doesn’t mean that I hate Russians.

Moving back to the Glastonbury situation, Corbyn has been accused of antisemitism, a charge he denies. It seems to me entirely fair for his position to be defended. If the Board of Deputies of British Jews have a problem with the film’s  content, they are at liberty to raise their concerns. Quite rightly, they will have views of their own which they expect to be given a platform, why then deny another the same courtesy?

30 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You have fallen into the same trap! As I am sure you know, it is entirely possible to be against a nation’s policy against another without hating its populous. I will call out the Russian invasion of Ukraine all day long but doesn’t mean that I hate Russians.

Moving back to the Glastonbury situation, Corbyn has been accused of antisemitism, a charge he denies. It seems to me entirely fair for his position to be defended. If the Board of Deputies of British Jews have a problem with the film’s  content, they are at liberty to raise their concerns. Quite rightly, they will have views of their own which they expect to be given a platform, why then deny another the same courtesy?

Should Tommy Robinson be allowed a platform at Glastonbury?

and FFS SOG the Russian analogy - Russians are cunts!

50 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You’ve clearly never been to Thailand or Sharm El Sheikh.

48 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I assure you I haven't. I abhor the persecution that successive Israeli governments have visited on the Palestinian people, but I am always careful to aim my criticism directly at them rather than at Jewish people on the whole.

I'm sure you did not intend to tar all Jews with the same brush, but the way you worded it could have made it look like you were. And in so doing, you invite accusations of antisemitism. 

6 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

but given the way that Jewish people have been discriminated against through the ages their treatment of the Palestinians does them no credit. You don’t get a free pass to crush someone or displace them just because it has happened to you in the past.

Seeing as Isreal has only existed since 1948, you appear to be blaming the Jewish race for Israeli treatment of Palestinians. The mask slips again…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I assure you I haven't. I abhor the persecution that successive Israeli governments have visited on the Palestinian people, but I am always careful to aim my criticism directly at them rather than at Jewish people on the whole.

I'm sure you did not intend to tar all Jews with the same brush, but the way you worded it could have made it look like you were. And in so doing, you invite accusations of antisemitism. 

A pound to a penny he did....

20 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

So, by that rationale, is it not possible that some right wing conservatives can agree with some of their policies without being bigots, gammon's and right wing nutters?

19 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Semantics. We talk about the Russian invasion of Ukraine and no one jumps up and down and insists that it should only be referred to as Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. He would look pretty stupid invading Ukraine on his own and clearly needs a lot of help! I know you aren’t as dumb as some of the others on this thread and understand my point. But for the hard of thinking on here, I am sure there a plenty of Jewish people who just want this conflict over and want to live in peace with the Palestinians. It doesn’t alter the fact that their leaders and military are aggressors. My beef is with the way the Palestinian people have been treated and with those who are responsible and their enablers. If that makes me an anti-Semite, then I will be on a very long list.

Just to spell it out for Duckhunter. I am sure that many people on here were against our (the UK’s) participation in the invasion of Iraq. It doesn’t automatically mean that we hate the British people. When we criticise it, we are not criticising every person in the country.The people we elected made the decision and our military carried it out but it doesn’t mean that the rest of us supported, are warmongers and hate Iraqis (although we all have an overall responsibility as members of the electorate who voted the decision makers in).

I don’t know why I am to having to point out the obvious again but I do know that there are a few very dim posters here who are desperate to twist and misinterpret everything to suit their own agendas. Please don’t be one of them.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

But for the hard of thinking on here, I am sure there a plenty of Jewish people who just want this conflict over and want to live in peace with the Palestinians. It doesn’t alter the fact that their leaders and military are aggressors. My beef is with the way the Palestinian people have been treated and with those who are responsible and their enablers.

If that makes me an anti-Semite, then I will be on a very long list.

Yes, unfortunately you are on a very long list of Anti-Semite’s. It is something a lot of people need educating on , with the worst culprits not even able to comprehend that this is what they are.

”Their” leaders, “their” enablers. Who are these Jewish leaders?

i know the Israeli ones, but who are the Jewish ones?

If Kenya bombed Tenerife would you be criticising Kenyan leaders or would you aim your criticism at Black leaders and “their” black enablers ? You clearly wouldn’t, which illustrates exactly what you are…

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

55 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Semantics. We talk about the Russian invasion of Ukraine and no one jumps up and down and insists that it should only be referred to as Putin’s invasion of Ukraine. He would look pretty stupid invading Ukraine on his own and clearly needs a lot of help! I know you aren’t as dumb as some of the others on this thread and understand my point. But for the hard of thinking on here, I am sure there a plenty of Jewish people who just want this conflict over and want to live in peace with the Palestinians. It doesn’t alter the fact that their leaders and military are aggressors. My beef is with the way the Palestinian people have been treated and with those who are responsible and their enablers. If that makes me an anti-Semite, then I will be on a very long list.

Just to spell it out for Duckhunter. I am sure that many people on here were against our (the UK’s) participation in the invasion of Iraq. It doesn’t automatically mean that we hate the British people. When we criticise it, we are not criticising every person in the country.The people we elected made the decision and our military carried it out but it doesn’t mean that the rest of us supported, are warmongers and hate Iraqis (although we all have an overall responsibility as members of the electorate who voted the decision makers in).

I don’t know why I am to having to point out the obvious again but I do know that there are a few very dim posters here who are desperate to twist and misinterpret everything to suit their own agendas. Please don’t be one of them.

Lots of ‘dumb’ (offensive term btw as those that cannot speak are not stupid) ‘hard of thinking’ etc but this really is vacuous guff you are posting completely missing the point. And childlike analogies illustrating no sort of point whatsoever.

So wouldn’t be throwing the ‘you lot are stupid’ line

• Like 1

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Lots of ‘dumb’ (offensive term btw as those that cannot speak are not stupid) ‘hard of thinking’ etc but this really is vacuous guff you are posting completely missing the point. And childlike analogies illustrating no sort of point whatsoever.

So wouldn’t be throwing the ‘you lot are stupid’ line

Thank you for your assessment of my posts. It is a shame you didn’t bother to point out why you think that my argument doesn’t hold water. Do you agree that I am an anti-Semite because I haven’t made it clear that I only hold certain Jewish people responsible for their actions?

I throw those accusations around because they are true. Duckhunter for example has been trying to pin the racist tag and anti semitic  tag on me for a while now based on nothing but his twisted logic. What makes it even more laughable is that him and the pile on crew have spent months poking me for being too woke!

I stand by my point and the Glastonbury film censorship just adds more weight. In any civilised democracy it should be perfectly acceptable to speak critically of something or to defend yourself if criticised. This place is a case in point. Plenty of different opinions shared here with plenty of name calling on both sides too (and I have been called plenty of names).

My use of the word “dumb” had nothing to do with not being able to speak. It has been widely used for many years towards people who aren’t very bright.

Anyway, more pertinently, how do you feel about the escalation of violence in the West Bank and the censorship of the Jeremy Corbyn film at Glastonbury?

Oh and regards abuse, unlike you Whelk, I don’t call people “cunts”.

Edited by sadoldgit
Typos
  • Confused 1

43 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Thank you for your assessment of my posts. It is a shame you didn’t bother to point out why you think that my argument doesn’t hold water. Do you agree that I am an anti-Semite because I haven’t made it clear that I only hold certain Jewish people responsible for their actions?

I throw those accusations around because they are true. Duckhunter for example has been trying to pin the racist tag and anti semitic  tag on me for a while now based on nothing but his twisted logic. What makes it even more laughable is that him and the pile on crew have spent months poking me for being too woke!

I stand by my point and the Glastonbury film censorship just adds more weight. In any civilised democracy it should be perfectly acceptable to speak critically of something or to defend yourself if criticised. This place is a case in point. Plenty of different opinions shared here with plenty of name calling on both sides too (and I have been called plenty of names).

My use of the word “dumb” had nothing to do with not being able to speak. It has been widely used for many years towards people who aren’t very bright.

Anyway, more pertinently, how do you feel about the escalation of violence in the West Bank and the censorship of the Jeremy Corbyn film at Glastonbury?

Oh and regards abuse, unlike you Whelk, I don’t call people “cunts”.

When I call someone a cunt it  is normally a sign of affection SOG

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I only hold certain Jewish people responsible for their actions?

On this thread you’ve blamed;

Certain Russian people for Ukraine.

Certain British people for Iraq

Certain Jewish people for Palestine 

Can you see the difference? 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

SoG, a position that you consider the behaviour of the Israeli government towards the Palestinian people to be unacceptable is understandable (I agree with that by the way). Quite how you manage to fuck up saying something so simple is a mystery.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, egg said:

SoG, a position that you consider the behaviour of the Israeli government towards the Palestinian people to be unacceptable is understandable (I agree with that by the way). Quite how you manage to fuck up saying something so simple is a mystery.

Verbal diarrhea - why use 10 words when you can post up 5 paragraphs.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

On this thread you’ve blamed;

Certain Russian people for Ukraine.

Certain British people for Iraq

Certain Jewish people for Palestine 

Can you see the difference? 

There is the obvious link between the jewish religion and Israel though, it is s grey area. Especially as criticising or being anti-Israel can get one labelled as anti-semitic.

Just now, aintforever said:

There is the obvious link between the jewish religion and Israel though, it is s grey area. Especially as criticising or being anti-Israel can get one labelled as anti-semitic.

To be fair, that appears to be the way it is. If I'm anti the behaviour of the Nigerian government (for example) I'm not branded racist, but if I'm anti the behaviour of the Israeli government then in some quarters I'm branded anti Semitic. However, criticism to the Israeli people, or Jewish people, plainly crosses the line - there's no grey area there. 

9 minutes ago, aintforever said:

True. I'm not sure anyone on here has criticised all Jewish people.

Some on here have interpreted SoG's words that way. For what it's worth I think he was more clumsy than anything. 

6 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

See, all you've done is dig yourself even deeper here. You are conflating Jewish people with Israeli people. Perhaps not deliberately, but language matters in issues as sensitive as this. The Israeli government are not the leaders of the Jewish people. There are plenty of Jewish people, Israeli or otherwise, who abhor the actions of the Israeli government and their despicable and inhumane treatment of the Palestinian people (as do I). 

Have you ever wondered why certain people want to "twist and misinterpret" what you say Soggy? It doesn't come from absolutely nowhere (Turkish aside; his obsession with you is just plain weird) . I do sense from you that you have a strong social conscience and moral compass, and I genuinely think your heart is in the right place. But I also see you frequently trip yourself up by using clumsy language that leaves you open to criticism. This thread is a prime example of that. So I'm not having a pop at you, I'm actually just trying to do you a favour by pointing out that you might want to consider the wording you use more carefully in future to try and avoid this happening.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Soggy has a history of Anti semitic tropes, it’s not just “clumsy” language on this particular thread. 

I CBA to read what he's said previously, but on this thread his words seem clumsy to me, and he's not run down Jewish or even Israeli people. Benefit of the doubt from me. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

See, all you've done is dig yourself even deeper here. You are conflating Jewish people with Israeli people.

To be fair there is a link between the religion and the country.

I used to work for a Jewish family business in North London, I was young at the time and knew precious little (or had any interest) about he situation in Israel but remember the boss telling me how he would happily go out there and fight for the country if he was ever needed. He is as English as you or me, born and bred in London yet he still saw it as his duty.

Edited by aintforever

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

I used to work for a Jewish family business in North London, I was young at the time and knew precious little (or had any interest) about he situation in Israel but remember the boss telling me how he would happily go out there and fight for the country if he was ever needed. He is as English as you or me, born and bred in London yet he still saw it as his duty.

Of course there is a strong link, but not all Jews are Israeli, and not all Israelis are Jews, so whether it is deliberate or just born of ignorance, it's still fallacious (and bordering on antisemitic) to use the words interchangeably. 

3 minutes ago, aintforever said:

There's a link only in so far as Israel is a predominantly Jewish state. It's Zionism which regards Judaism as a nationality as well as a religion, and that Jews deserve their own state in their ancestral homeland. 

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Of course there is a strong link, but not all Jews are Israeli, and not all Israelis are Jews, so whether it is deliberate or just born of ignorance, it's still fallacious (and bordering on antisemitic) to use the words interchangeably. 

Correct, and if it was a one off you could say it was ignorance.

But there are so many examples of his mindset, from spending all day (his words) trying to prove the Jews aren’t a race, to defending Abbott when she compared the holocaust to gingers getting teased at school. So many examples of “clumsy” words around Jewish people, that point in only one direction . I knew where he’d take this thread when I saw the title of it. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it’s a fucking duck. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, aintforever said:

not much has changed then really.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Correct, and if it was a one off you could say it was ignorance.

But there are so many examples of his mindset, from spending all day (his words) trying to prove the Jews aren’t a race, to defending Abbott when she compared the holocaust to gingers getting teased at school. So many examples of “clumsy” words around Jewish people, that point in only one direction . I knew where he’d take this thread when I saw the title of it. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it’s a fucking duck. 

It's become pretty clear over the last couple of years on here underneath this nice guy, voice of reason, calling out the bad guys persona he likes to give off there is a very nasty, spiteful individual with some very questionable views and is absolutely full of shit and his own self importance. the mask slips regularly and the pompous cretin is being outed across several forums now for what he is.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

the continued fascination/hatred of Israel, given everything else that goes on in the world, is just weird.

In the minds of many; Israel = Jews = rich, powerful Americans = establishment, authority, greed etc. Thats why stuff like this pops up:

IMG_0902.png

18 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Soggy has a history of Anti semitic tropes, it’s not just “clumsy” language on this particular thread. 

Ok then, I’ll bite. Apart from the Diane Abbot letter that I said I didn’t think was anti semitic ( for the record she tried to say that black people experienced racism and white people didn’t but accepted that four types of white people experience prejudice, including Jewish people) where is your evidence that I am anti semantic? While you are at it, explain why saying that I don’t think a letter written by someone else is anti-Semitic makes me an anti-Semite.

I am also enjoying the irony of you picking me up for “clumsy” language when you yourself fill your posts with language left over from the 1970’s.

This is an internet forum not the Oxford University Debating Society. I am sure most of us post using a phone using our thumbs to type so little surprise that language is often “clumsy” and points aren’t made perfectly. Throw in a few people like you determine to deliberately misrepresent what others say and you end up with extended threads like this which go off at tangents and end up ignoring the main point and just give the usual subjects an excuse for another pile on.

Yes, I do write too much, a product of only having three posts a day.

I deliberately used Israeli rather than Jewish as I was trying to differentiate between the state and the people.

Edited by sadoldgit

21 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Ok then, I’ll bite. Apart from the Diane Abbot letter that I said I didn’t think was anti semitic ( for the record she tried to say that black people experienced racism and white people didn’t but accepted that four types of white people experience prejudice, including Jewish people) where is your evidence that I am anti semantic? While you are at it, explain why saying that I don’t think a letter written by someone else is anti-Semitic makes me an anti-Semite.

I am also enjoying the irony of you picking me up for “clumsy” language when you yourself fill your posts with language left over from the 1970’s.

This is an internet forum not the Oxford University Debating Society. I am sure most of us post using a phone using our thumbs to type so little surprise that language is often “clumsy” and points aren’t made perfectly. Throw in a few people like you determine to deliberately misrepresent what others say and you end up with extended threads like this which go off at tangents and end up ignoring the main point and just give the usual subjects an excuse for another pile on.

Yes, I do write too much, a product of only having three posts a day.

the fact that you spent an entire day out of your life trying to prove that Jews aren't a race might be a clue.

20 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

This bit is absolutely batshit fucking mental!  Basically, you're saying your thumbs take on a life of their own when typing and take control over the language you use.

Fucking thumbs!  Next they'll be taking over the world!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Anyone who admits to spending all day research whether the Jews are a race has got a serious problem with Jewish people. 

I rest my case.

Given that I have been picked up on my use of language, spending time trying to research a topic is now proof that I am anti-Semitic.

🙄

Edited by sadoldgit
Add text