Mason Holgate

Edmonton Saint

I reckon there are at least 6 championship teams better than Sheffield United, they've got a worse squad this season than they had in the Championship last season.

The most pointless promotion in the history of football.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I reckon there are at least 6 championship teams better than Sheffield United, they've got a worse squad this season than they had in the Championship last season.

The most pointless promotion in the history of football.

Promotion is never pointless when you can pocket £100m for finishing bottom.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

But that tackle today was 😀.

So glad to have got rid of him. It's not just the signings Wilcox has done well, he's also been good at offloading our dross.

Was Wilcox not involved in bringing him here in the first place? 

• Like 4

On 03/02/2024 at 19:34, Sheaf Saint said:

Two debuts, two 5-0 defeats.

Poor Mason, I'm sure it's not his fault.

Looks like he's gonna play a pivotal role in yet another 5-0 defeat.

The question is - would it have been worse had he stayed on the pitch?

• Haha 1

I thought Holgate was a good standard of player to bring in to fight for places, and give depth across the back.

Clearly took time to get up to speed, with some less than great decision making. And, with everyone else doing well, rightly slipped down the pecking order.

By the time he left, I wasn't that alarmed with his involvement.

Today's challenge showed no thought whatsoever, about the game in front of him, or the impact on his team. To do it, when they are fighting for every point, and get suspended. Wilder may be looking at other options he can trust there.

I don't begrudge him looking for minutes. But he's not made the best of impacts at 3 clubs this season.

23 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I thought Holgate was a good standard of player to bring in to fight for places, and give depth across the back.

Clearly took time to get up to speed, with some less than great decision making. And, with everyone else doing well, rightly slipped down the pecking order.

By the time he left, I wasn't that alarmed with his involvement.

Today's challenge showed no thought whatsoever, about the game in front of him, or the impact on his team. To do it, when they are fighting for every point, and get suspended. Wilder may be looking at other options he can trust there.

I don't begrudge him looking for minutes. But he's not made the best of impacts at 3 clubs this season.

I think he's finished as a top level player, he was always a dodgy signing imo.

Might perform okish at an also-ran in the Champ or top of L1, but there is no way I'd have trusted him with our promotion hopes. Thank god we no longer have to 'count' on him.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think he's finished as a top level player, he was always a dodgy signing imo.

Well, I thought Maintland-Niles would also offer some versatility and cover too. It just takes me a while to realise that, just because a top level club signed/ kept them, doesn't mean they aren't deadwood.

🙂

• Like 2

What's the game come to when the ref thinks that was a foul, he got the ball.

The Brighton guy made the most of it and should have been booked for simulation.

He'll probably walk again, it didn't even break his thigh bone - modern players need to man up.

And woman-up.  😎

Edited by rallyboy
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

That was a clumsy challenge. 

I just checked and clumsy isn’t another word for terrible, awful, dire or stupid.  What really got me was the way he was protesting to the referee when he got a yellow when he should have been thanking his lucky stars!  I’m can’t stand VAR but that is a perfect example of how it should work, the ref makes clear and obvious error the TV picks it up and quickly corrects the on field decision.

Edited by a1ex2001
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, a1ex2001 said:

I just checked and clumsy isn’t another word for terrible, awful, dire or stupid.  What really got me was the way he was protesting to the referee when he got a yellow when he should have been thanking his lucky stars!  I’m can’t stand VAR but that is a perfect example of how it should work, the ref makes clear and obvious error the TV picks it up and quickly corrects the infields decision.

Yes a the sheer anger of his team mates, at half time and still at the end of the game. It must be more frustration than anger, but it should not be allowed. VAR did work correctly on this occasion. 

12 hours ago, HKsaint said:

He makes me think of Jankewitz who got a red card and costed us 0-9 defeat to Manchester United.

Jankewitz was less than a minute into his career at top level, Holgate has been around a lot longer.