Rooney new Birmingham manager

OldNick

13 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Didn't Birmingham do this about a decade ago? Sacking Gary Rowett and bringing in Zola.

Yes. 2 Birmingham supporting friends of mine were apoplectic when Rowell was replaced. They are apoplectic again with Rooney's appointment.

To be fair the wheels were probably already in motion when they went 6 games without a win (including the cup) but possibly Rooney wanted to finish the MLS season first and that’s made the timing look a bit stupid. 

Lots of pressure on Rooney to hit the ground running now though with the 2 results they got recently. 

44 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

To be fair the wheels were probably already in motion when they went 6 games without a win (including the cup) but possibly Rooney wanted to finish the MLS season first and that’s made the timing look a bit stupid. 

Lots of pressure on Rooney to hit the ground running now though with the 2 results they got recently. 

My long suffering Birmingham City friend said the Norwich performance was pretty poor and if a decision hadn't already been made, it would have been after that game. He's pretty miffed now though, as the last two games have seen them play very well. I watched the WBA game and they did well to come from behind. Showed good character and togetherness - playing for Eustace. Genuine doubt from fans as to whether Rooney brings much to the table. Hopefully he doesn't get off to a flyer.

47 minutes ago, Saint Billy said:

How does Rooney do it?, he has done feck all as a manager but still gets work.

Dunno, I thought he did a good job at Derby. 

He earned a ton of respect from me for staying on without a wage through all their financial woes etc.

This will be his first proper test and I have a feeling he will do OK. Could be wrong of course 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Dunno, I thought he did a good job at Derby. 

He earned a ton of respect from me for staying on without a wage through all their financial woes etc.

This will be his first proper test and I have a feeling he will do OK. Could be wrong of course 

I also think he did a decent job at Derby given the situation they were in, kept them up by a point and there are many teams with who have "legendary" managers for pulling off similar great escapes. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

I also think he did a decent job at Derby given the situation they were in, kept them up by a point and there are many teams with who have "legendary" managers for pulling off similar great escapes. 

He didn't really "keep Derby up by a point" it's far more realistic to say he nearly relegated them.

Their end to that season was fucking dreadful, I think they lost like six or seven on the spin before the final day and they drew their last game to scrape up.

He didn't achieve an escape, he took them into the relegation zone. The previous manager was poor but Rooney took over well before Christmas so had plenty of time. He was a big reason they were in the shit, he didn't swoop in and rescue them.

All he did at Derby was a bit of "they're all against us" seige mentality stuff the following season when they were skint and had the points deduction. Did okay. But to be honest he had nothing to lose. He won a few Derby fans over that didn't like him the previous season.

Good luck Birmingham.

18 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

Also think that when they went down, without the massive 21 point deduction they would have easily stayed up. He had a young team with an average age of 22 I think.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Also think that when they went down, without the massive 21 point deduction they would have easily stayed up. He had a young team with an average age of 22 I think.

Thats what most jornos were saying yesterday, that 21 point deduction holed him below the waterline.

In one piece the whole Rooney coming in is purely down to him having a bigger public circus than Eustace, that Birmingham can ride on the back of.

On 13/10/2023 at 20:01, bangkoksaint said:

In fairness he’s doing his apprenticeship in the lower divisions. Gerrard and Lampard didn’t set the world alight thinking they were only good enough at PL level. 

The same Lampard that started at Derby and the same Gerrard that started at Rangers? 

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2023 at 22:48, Colinjb said:

Didn't Birmingham do this about a decade ago? Sacking Gary Rowett and bringing in Zola.

Not even that. It would have been about 2016/17 because I lived with a fellow who was a Blues fan at the time and he was fuming with it. Still, it did make me realise how funny Zola's name is in a Brum accent. It was "Zowwwwwwwwwwwww-La"