FA Cup Third Round - Alfreton/Walsall (h)

Pamplemousse

11 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

It isn't impossible of course but you'll need a few upsets and the big boys to face each other. And then, as above, it's likely one of the mid-table teams would win it.

When the 2008 winners won the FA Cup, the other semi-finalists were three Championship teams! As well as cheating, they got lucky in that aspect.

And that's the only time that it's not been won by one of the 'top 6' clubs since the turn of the century.

Last second tier winner was 1980 and only four have reached the final since. None in 15 years.

The notion that a championship side could win the FA Cup this year is for the birds when you consider the above and how much bigger the gap is these days.

8 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Remember, he didn't mean Saints, that would be preposterous, calm down everyone.

He meant the team one place and one point above them in the table. They might win it.

I do think we are one of the better championship sides that with a favourable run could go far, my point was that I wasn't saying what I said because I'm getting giddy with excitement about Saints winning the cup. Just that the Prem is weaker, the draw looks good for 6 of the Prem sides being out before the 4th round, and the top championship sides are stronger than they've been in years. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I do think we are one of the better championship sides that with a favourable run could go far, my point was that I wasn't saying what I said because I'm getting giddy with excitement about Saints winning the cup. Just that the Prem is weaker, the draw looks good for 6 of the Prem sides being out before the 4th round, and the top championship sides are stronger than they've been in years. 

I wrote a long reply but honestly what's the point.

What you're saying is just nonsense.

The Premier League is not "weaker", the FA Cup draw is normal, the Championship is not much different to other seasons, fair play to the strng start made by the top two but Burnley got 101 points and are now contributing to a "weaker" Prem so your point doesn't make sense.

Lastly there is pretty much no correlation between "better Championship teams" and FA Cup performance. The last two finalists were Cardiff and Millwall. Dross Championship clubs who lucked out.

So a Championship team can go I to the competition but at the same level of liklihood of the last 20 years. Not that likely.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The Premier League is not "weaker", the FA Cup draw is normal, the Championship is not much different to other seasons, fair play to the strng start made by the top two but Burnley got 101 points and are now contributing to a "weaker" Prem so your point doesn't make sense.

Lastly there is pretty much no correlation between "better Championship teams" and FA Cup performance. The last two finalists were Cardiff and Millwall. Dross Championship clubs who lucked out.

So a Championship team can go I to the competition but at the same level of liklihood of the last 20 years. Not that likely.

Thank god you shortened your reply.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 05/12/2023 at 06:47, CB Fry said:

Very pessimistic and a short memory, you have to remember that Nathan Jones was on for the treble just prior to being forcibly removed - many of these scar-tissue healed players have played beyond the fourth round.  Plus, this year we canned the League Cup early so Russ can focus on the semi-skimmed double #keepthefaith 

48 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Doesn’t seem we’ve been picked for TV so I’d expect this to be 3pm on the Saturday

The TV picks are a joke. Can't wait to watch Spurs Vs Burnley, Palace Vs Everton and Boro Vs Villa. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Doesn’t seem we’ve been picked for TV so I’d expect this to be 3pm on the Saturday

Not necessarily. International broadcasters can move games, so the full schedule will be announced next week. Last season, our game at Crystal Palace was moved to 12.30pm for international TV. 

9 minutes ago, JRM said:

Our recent record against league Two teams surely makes Walsall the favourites,  at least they don't bring blow up fish to wave at us 

Plus we have a brotherhood with Walsall on the day we were promoted to the championship they stayed in league one. we had that wonderful moment as we celebrated on the pitch and turned towards the Walsall fans singing “you are staying up”. Walsall are our friends 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Plus we have a brotherhood with Walsall on the day we were promoted to the championship they stayed in league one. we had that wonderful moment as we celebrated on the pitch and turned towards the Walsall fans singing “you are staying up”. Walsall are our friends 

The Chris Nichol derby 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

Apart from the game up at theirs midweek when their keeper or one of theirs players got away with a naughty tackle on Schneiderlin that saw him side lined for a few games. Might not have been the keeper, that view might have been skewed by his performance to keep a clean sheet that seemed to down to the fact that being 1-0 up if he let one in he would never see his family again, just like their defence (featuring Ollie Lancashire!) played like they had been told "you concede one, you'll be facing a firing squad up against the gym wall out the back" - We battered them and they held firm.

All that aside I thought the whole club was nicely set up as a family friendly local club, the stuff to do and up coming stuff on the calendar in the match programme was impressive, they appeared to be doing all they could to get folk through the turnstiles despite being up against local bigger boys, Villa, Birmingham, WBA, Wolves. 

That certainly was a nice moment @Turkish even in the game - we were putting them to the sword and their fans were bouncing about because they were getting news from the game that had their fate in its hand, I seem to recall "we are going up" being alternated with "you are staying up" whilst the game was still on. Final whistle their players just collapsed on the pitch with relief and were instantly engulfed by 1000's of us loons.      

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Tickets are on sale already and judging by the queue down the ground you'll need to be quick 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/southampton-vs-walsall

I just had a steward come along the line, counting folk ahead of me, then said to me "you might not get a ticket!".

😁 Anyone remember those days at the Dell just for a normal game? 

17 hours ago, trousers said:

Walsall it is then

Shame as it would have been interesting playing a 6th tier team but hey, even if we play the likes of Edozie, SAA, Mara up top we should have enough to beat Walsall. I mean, if Mara can't score against Walsall then...