Unbeaten runs for Saints

SaintBobby

On 15/01/2024 at 13:02, gio1saints said:

Longest unbeaten run

• 19 matches, 5 September 1921 – 31 December 1921

NB Millwall away was match 7 of Saints record breaking 30 matches unbeaten run in the Championship during the 2023-24 season that culminated in their automatic promotion to the EPL.

Edited 31 October, 2023 by gio1saints

We are getting there. Thirty league matches unbeaten is still on - 12 league matches later. 

Shout out to all the gentle people who laughed at my prediction. Please do it again. It’s obviously a good luck charm. 😇

The full post to check my other “insane” predictions: 

We are STILL getting there. Thirty is still on. Five games later. Five to go. All winnable matches. 
Please continue to laugh at my insanity. It’s working. 🤭😇

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

We are STILL getting there. Thirty is still on. Five games later. Five to go. All winnable matches. 

Just to recap, your original prediction thing had a total of two confused reaction emojis and one person quoted it with a half joke about Bazunu.

Most people completely ignored it. So not sure who you think you are "proving wrong" because, at best, at most it is three entire people.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Nope, currently 21 unbeaten in the Championship. So 9 Championship games to go for your prediction. You can't count Cup games in the unbeaten run in the Championship. To get to your prediction we have to remain unbeaten up to and including Leicester (away) on 16th March (assuming no rearrangements). Its possible but there are some tough games, WBA and Leicester stand out.

Our longest ever unbeaten League run stands at 24 (1894/5?), need 4 more league matches unbeaten to set an all-time club record (it was set in the Southern League rather than the Football League).

We have already beaten our longest ever unbeaten run (all competitions, league and FA Cup) which was 21, record now stands at 24 and counting, Liverpool is the obvious one that might end the record run, but we also have WBA (A) before that, which will be a real test of how good this team is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Most people completely ignored it. So not sure who you think you are "proving wrong" because, at best, at most it is three entire people.

As opposed to a negative misery guts like you who is much more experienced at putting people down and "proving them wrong".. Obviously you yourself couldn't manage to ignore it.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 24/12/2023 at 08:32, Kingsland Codger said:

Am I alone in believing our unbeaten run will come to an end sometime in mid/late December 2026 when we lose the World Club Championship thanks to a congested fixture list and a very dodgy linesman?

This thread is brilliant to look back on. I am beginning to think that Kingsland Codger is onto something. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Also, fifty is still on.  So is one hundred.  Also one billion.  Every match we will play from now until the end of time is winnable.

Please continue to laugh at my insanity, my doctors do.

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Also, fifty is still on.  So is one hundred.  Also one billion.  Every match we will play from now until the end of time is winnable.

Please continue to laugh at my insanity, my doctors do.

If you ever need to reach out Nathan, I’m here…

• Like 1

11 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Just to recap, your original prediction thing had a total of two confused reaction emojis and one person quoted it with a half joke about Bazunu.

I know who I am - it’s a positive saints fan who crazily predicted a thirty match unbeaten run back in October - over three months ago. Know anyone else who did that and got this close? Ever??  In our entire history as club? Do you? Well now you do. 

Thats who I am Mr. Fry  😂

Incidentally and it really should go without saying but if that crazy prediction ( or was it a prophecy of divine origin?🤣) is close to coming true it is exciting and could be mildly interesting to saints fans - and even to someone with your lack of grace don’t you think? 😁.

11 hours ago, suewhistle said:

As opposed to a negative misery guts like you who is much more experienced at putting people down and "proving them wrong".. Obviously you yourself couldn't manage to ignore it.

Thank you @suewhistle. I’d private message my thanks but this will have to do. Being “put down” by that chap for essentially being a positive enthusiastic saints fan who made a silly mad prediction that has still got life in it so far is at least tolerable when we are doing well. 
If we lose before 30 unbeaten I’m sure someone ( guess who?) will bring it up to “ taunt” me when it’s just harmless fun we should all be laughing about! I will of course apologise for making that mad prediction if so. 😂😇

Edited by gio1saints

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

I know who I am - it’s a positive saints fan who crazily predicted a thirty match unbeaten run back in October - over three months ago. Know anyone else who did that and got this close? Ever??  In our entire history as club? Do you? Well now you do. 

Thats who I am Mr. Fry  😂

Incidentally and it really should go without saying but if that crazy prediction ( or was it a prophecy of divine origin?🤣) is close to coming true it is exciting and could be mildly interesting to saints fans - and even to someone with your lack of grace don’t you think? 😁.

No problem with it at all, as long as you have the correct information. 9 Championship games to go, not 5.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

Main problem we have now is that if we get to 100 the word doesn't fit properly in the song so we'll need a new one.

Hundred games, hundred games undefeated. 

Have we actually beaten the all time record now not just football league record?

Edited by Saint_clark

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

Main problem we have now is that if we get to 100 the word doesn't fit properly in the song so we'll need a new one.

Think one hundred fits okay really but 27 might be difficult which will hopefully be Friday. 30 doesn't fit either so would have to be '30 games'.

Nice problem to have though!

It's just occurred to me (and apologies if someone has already made this point elsewhere) that the last season we played in this kit design - 1988/89 - we had a lengthy, possibly our worst ever, run of games without a win. 23 was it? 

I vividly remember the wild celebrations in the Milton end when we finally broke the run with a 1-0 win against Newcastle thanks to a last minute penalty from new signing Neil Ruddock.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

It's just occurred to me (and apologies if someone has already made this point elsewhere) that the last season we played in this kit design - 1988/89 - we had a lengthy, possibly our worst ever, run of games without a win. 23 was it? 

I vividly remember the wild celebrations in the Milton end when we finally broke the run with a 1-0 win against Newcastle thanks to a last minute penalty from new signing Neil Ruddock.

Was there. Mental scenes. I think. I cannot remember far back much anymore but I remember going mental for a ruddock goal. It was a bit of a wtf is he taking a penalty moment and now of all times. One of a kind I guess 

Edited by gio1saints

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Was there. Mental scenes. I think. I cannot remember far back much anymore but I remember going mental for a ruddock goal. It was a bit of a wtf is he taking a penalty moment and now of all times. One of a kind I guess 

Yes. Great moment, and as you say, a collective gulp around The Dell when the young CB took the ball to take it. Can't remember who had been on penalties previously ( Horne, Case or Cockerill perhaps ?) but we'd missed a couple I think. Ruddock absolutely blasted it, and mental celebrations, one of the all time great celebrations (up there with Moran at Fratton). 

I think many people had accepted we might drop that season until the penalty. 93rd minute rings a bell. 

Ruddock cemented himself into Saints folklore that day (but still missed his next penalty at home to Wimbledon, and don't think he took another one for us after that).

Just a gentle nudge to Saints fans out there who have been known to associate the fortunes of the club with their own lives sometimes : cherish these moments. Live in the present and enjoy the NOW.

Because- If history is anything to go by you will never be able to say your team is 25 matches unbeaten again in your lifetime. 

Mention it at work, mention it to your family, mention it to your friends, most of all enjoy it in your head. Walk with a spring in your stride breathe deeper smile wider because your team are unbeatable. YOU are unbeatable. 

Supporting saints is NOT always like this. It may end Tuesday night but today - 25,undefeated…25 undefeated. Sing it, enjoy it, live it and love it. 😇

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Just a gentle nudge to Saints fans out there who have been known to associate the fortunes of the club with their own lives sometimes : cherish these moments. Live in the present and enjoy the NOW.

Because- If history is anything to go by you will never be able to say your team is 25 matches unbeaten again in your lifetime. 

Mention it at work, mention it to your family, mention it to your friends, most of all enjoy it in your head. Walk with a spring in your stride breathe deeper smile wider because your team are unbeatable. YOU are unbeatable. 

Supporting saints is NOT always like this. It may end Tuesday night but today - 25,undefeated…25 undefeated. Sing it, enjoy it, live it and love it. 😇

If we finish third and finish in the playoffs then no one is really going to give a shit. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If we finish third and finish in the playoffs then no one is really going to give a shit. 

I hear you but that way thinking is shortening peoples lives. If one cannot celebrate the good then will not ever be happy. There will always be something bigger and better. It’s not cause to defer enjoying what we do have, and be grateful for it. 

Saints unbeaten run is a perfect opportunity to show gratitude in the present. Forget that we are usually not good for just a moment and will get beat Tuesday or lose 9-0 if we go up again. It’s quite literally a once in a lifetime thing. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I hear you but that way thinking is shortening peoples lives. If one cannot celebrate the good then will not ever be happy. There will always be something bigger and better. It’s not cause to defer enjoying what we do have, and be grateful for it. 

Saints unbeaten run is a perfect opportunity to show gratitude in the present. Forget that we are usually not good for just a moment and will get beat Tuesday or lose 9-0 if we go up again. It’s quite literally a once in a lifetime thing. 

Just saying it will be a lot easier to look back with fondness if we've gone up. I barely remember long unbeaten runs the last time we were down here but I remember promotion. That's something worth remembering. Promotion please and then we can remember the unbeaten run as part of a pleasant memory rather than when we went ages unbeaten and then ultimately threw it away. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

It is possible to be extremely happy about an unbeaten run yet not view it as particularly significant in the general scheme of things. The two feelings aren't mutually exclusive.

#biggerpicture

Edited by trousers

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

It is possible to be extremely happy about an unbeaten run yet not view it as particularly significant in the general scheme of things. The two feelings aren't mutually exclusive.

#biggerpicture

Very true. 

Im just one of those many people seen suffering and am grateful for the absence of it - when I can remember to be grateful that is. Usually I’m just as peed off at something or other like everyone else. A cynic might say that supporting Saints IS suffering. A Buddhist believes life = suffering so maybe we are onto something being Saints fans! 

When Saints were rubbish ( that’s a controversial trivia comment/question!) I did not feel personally more rubbish- or less- so frankly there’s no reason I should feel better- or worse now they are doing really good.

EXCEPT it seems to me that’s there is a shedload of reasons out there for every single one of us to be unhappy. Life is tough for a lot of people in a lot of ways. Reasons to be happy are sometimes few and far between. Saints unbeaten run is one of those few and far between things…so……celebrate good times come on, we gonna have a party….😂😇

On 12/02/2024 at 11:43, gio1saints said:

Very true. 

Im just one of those many people seen suffering and am grateful for the absence of it - when I can remember to be grateful that is. Usually I’m just as peed off at something or other like everyone else. A cynic might say that supporting Saints IS suffering. A Buddhist believes life = suffering so maybe we are onto something being Saints fans! 

When Saints were rubbish ( that’s a controversial trivia comment/question!) I did not feel personally more rubbish- or less- so frankly there’s no reason I should feel better- or worse now they are doing really good.

EXCEPT it seems to me that’s there is a shedload of reasons out there for every single one of us to be unhappy. Life is tough for a lot of people in a lot of ways. Reasons to be happy are sometimes few and far between. Saints unbeaten run is one of those few and far between things…so……celebrate good times come on, we gonna have a party….😂😇

Bring back the good times! :)