Unbeaten runs for Saints

SaintBobby

Sorry, am probably cursing this....but Sky are reporting that this (11 matches) is our best unbeaten run in 29 years.

Anyone know how to find out what a 12, 13, 14, 15+ match unbeaten run would look like? 

I think our longest unbeaten run is something crazy like 28 matches....not expecting that....but am wondering at what point no one alive has seen a Saints run of this length without defeat (currently anyone under 29 years of age!)

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Didn't we have a crazy home run in league one and the championship where we were unbeaten for something like 23 games

In the League 1 promotion season, it was a 2-0 defeat at Rochdale which stopped us going 15 games unbeaten. The last 21 games of that season were W17, D2, L2, just ridiculous form compared to anything we’ve done since. After the Rochdale game, we won our last 6, followed by the first 4 of the Championship season, so 10 consecutive wins, followed by a 5-2 defeat at Leicester.

I think you’re referring to our unbeaten home run, which basically stretched the whole of 2011 until we lost against Bristol City three days before new year.

• Like 1

On 05/12/2023 at 06:01, Nolan said:

I think this is the next one on the list to beat (from Southampton match record: 1981 (11v11.com)

image.png.d17fc0ca62863d7e133c5cf8c50df024.png

and heres a run of 20 unbeaten from 1921/22 season (from Southampton match record: 1922 (11v11.com))

image.png.f1e97e9a162b1ff4a6a4dd86ac1dc3bd.png

Remember the 1980/81 season well, some good results and games in there, 4-4 away v Spurs on Boxing Day for example.

Incredible looking at the fixtures, 80/81 playing on 26th and again on 27th December.

Also in the earlier era how games would often be home and away against the same opponent in consecutive games. 

Amused and annoyed me when I heard the likes of Wenger and Klopp bleating about fixture pile ups !

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So he's right, it is over 100 years. 2023 - 1921 is 102 years, or am I missing something?

Yes, I think you are missing something. It won't be 19 unbeaten if we remain unbeaten this weekend. I think you may have missed the point. The record is 19 which has stood for over 100 years.

1 hour ago, teamsaint said:

The cup winning season we went 16 unbeaten in league and cup , starting with this beating of Sunderland, and ending at York.

But 5 of the 16 were FA Cup matches.

Only 11 were league.

Arguably, as this run is specifically 12 unbeaten in the league, it beats 1976.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm super positive, but can see our unbeaten run coming to an end away to Norwich. 2 days after our game against Plymouth, the players will be fatigued and I seem to remember Norwich's direct runs causing us all sorts of issues at home. Unless we pull off something crazy, it'll come to an end at some point before the end of the season.

Edited by sfc4prem

54 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

I'm super positive, but can see our unbeaten run coming to an end away to Norwich. 2 days after our game against Plymouth, the players will be fatigued and I seem to remember Norwich's direct runs causing us all sorts of issues at home. Unless we pull off something crazy, it'll come to an end at some point before the end of the season.

We play Plymouth Friday evening and Norwich on Monday so there are two empty days between.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sfc4prem said:

It's actually 3 days after our match against Plymouth. And Norwich have a match 3 days before ours as well. Also we have a much deeper squad.

2 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Yep - Carrow Road is a bogey ground for us too.

2 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

Both Swansea or Plymouth could do it before then. Just takes a bad day.

However agreed Norwich away is the toughest fixture for a while. Get past that unscathed and this team will be in uncharted waters.

Runs like this can become a curse. You know it will end eventually, and after a while you want to get it out of the way.

Injuries, suspensions and fatigue are probably going to have an impact on every team. Need to ride the storm.

Love this league, the games just keep on coming.

9 minutes ago, JRM said:

Any idea how many games unbeaten we had that season? 

It was 1950 and it was 15 games. 

Longest ever unbeaten run was 19 games in the 20s, which would mean we need to stay unbeaten up to the reverse Swansea fixture on 20th january. Can't see us getting that far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

It was 1950 and it was 15 games. 

Longest ever unbeaten run was 19 games in the 20s, which would mean we need to stay unbeaten up to the reverse Swansea fixture on 20th january. Can't see us getting that far.

If you include Walsall cup game we could get to 19 sooner if that counts, but agree unlikely there's bound to be a game soon where things don't go for us 

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2023 at 12:32, Kingsland Codger said:

Am I alone in believing our unbeaten run will come to an end sometime in mid/late December 2026 when we lose the World Club Championship thanks to a congested fixture list and a very dodgy linesman?

Yes. You're alone, as the earliest we could play in the world club championship would be 2027 (I think).

You've been MLG'd (I think).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

So, we are on the cusp of matching our all time unbeaten run

Yep, if we draw or win in the next two games (Wednesday at hone and Swansea away) we overtake it. 

Although I'm not sure if the 19 game unbeaten streak in the 20s was league only or all comps...if all comps then we have already matched it. 

Edited by Saint_clark

21 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, if we draw or win in the next two games (Wednesday at hone and Swansea away) we overtake it. 

Although I'm not sure if the 19 game unbeaten streak in the 20s was league only or all comps...if all comps then we have already matched it. 

Nolan posted the run earlier in the thread. Looks like 19 league games in a row without defeat, then a win in the FA Cup then a loss.

So beat/draw with Wednesday and we equal both league unbeaten (19) and all comps unbeaten (20). Then we'd need a result vs Swansea to take both records! [I think]

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

Nolan posted the run earlier in the thread. Looks like 19 league games in a row without defeat, then a win in the FA Cup then a loss.

So beat/draw with Wednesday and we equal both league unbeaten (19) and all comps unbeaten (20). Then we'd need a result vs Swansea to take both records! [I think]

Hope we manage it. Be nice to break a positive record for once.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

Reading hold the Championship record with 33 unbeaten in the league. Just a few more to go.

We can do it. Plenty of games left!

(Only commenting so I can get my avatar going down 4 times in a row. Mesmorising.)

Edit: Gold

Screenshot_20240107-173609_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Master Bates
  • Haha 1

Duncan has rightly pointed out on Twitter this morning that this is not the all time unbeaten run record. For League games (Southern League) the record is 24, set from the end of season 1895-6 (4 games) and throughout the 1896/7 season (20 games). The record for "all competitions" (League and FA Cup) would appear to be 21, that run ended in Feb 1897 when we lost to Newton Heath in a 2nd round replay in February.

The record I referred to of 9 away games unbeaten I now realise must refer to Football League only and must also have been beaten in 1896-1897 given that we remained unbeaten in all league matches in that season (10 games) and presumably 2 at the end of the 1895/96 season, so record would be 12. Actually the last 4 games in 95/96 were all at home (strange) so the record appears to be 10.

So we have a few more games to go unbeaten to break our all time records for unbeaten runs and for Duncan to literally rewrite the history books.

Edited by VectisSaint
Checked the away record and updated my comment.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Duncan has rightly pointed out on Twitter this morning that this is not the all time unbeaten run record. For League games (Southern League) the record is 24, set from the end of season 1895-6 (4 games) and throughout the 1896/7 season (20 games). The record for "all competitions" (League and FA Cup) would appear to be 21, that run ended in Feb 1897 when we lost to Newton Heath in a 2nd round replay in February.

The record I referred to of 9 away games unbeaten I now realise must refer to Football League only and must also have been beaten in 1896-1897 given that we remained unbeaten in all league matches in that season (10 games) and presumably 2 at the end of the 1895/96 season, so record would be 12.

So we have a few more games to go unbeaten to break our all time records for unbeaten runs and for Duncan to literally rewrite the history books.

This is starting to get confusing! Guess you can call it a 'league'record still as Southern league was technically not part of the football league pyramid at the time 

Thank you @VectisSaint and Duncan  for the correct details. I would never have thought that night at the Priestfield that Saints away form could be record equalling or breaking this season! 

Even if we do not get promoted - but ESPECIALLY if we do, I think some measure of acknowledgement of this record breaking/ equalling from us is worthwhile. We get precious little to cheer and celebrate about as long term Saints fans to be fair! 

From the club POV I imagine Club Shop merch should be all over this - T-shirts, mugs DVDs, duvet sets etc. 😍. You know the kind of thing - “ 12X years all time league and cup matches unbeaten record - and we still hate Pompey” T-shirts should sell out 😂

From the supporters POV - I doubt a massive banner or banners would be allowed but it’s worth asking ? Or one of those mosaic type signs or pictures made up of hundreds of A3 pieces of paper to hold up at both ends might be fun and get around that. What they say or reveal - argue amongst yourselves! 

More likely to get a “yes” might be a parade of surviving old time Saints players on the pitch before our last home match kick off for example to get a round of applause. Might be a nice touch to record both our past and current history making? 

Just a thought..😇

9 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Thank you @VectisSaint and Duncan  for the correct details. I would never have thought that night at the Priestfield that Saints away form could be record equalling or breaking this season! 

Even if we do not get promoted - but ESPECIALLY if we do, I think some measure of acknowledgement of this record breaking/ equalling from us is worthwhile. We get precious little to cheer and celebrate about as long term Saints fans to be fair! 

From the club POV I imagine Club Shop merch should be all over this - T-shirts, mugs DVDs, duvet sets etc. 😍. You know the kind of thing - “ 12X years all time league and cup matches unbeaten record - and we still hate Pompey” T-shirts should sell out 😂

From the supporters POV - I doubt a massive banner or banners would be allowed but it’s worth asking ? Or one of those mosaic type signs or pictures made up of hundreds of A3 pieces of paper to hold up at both ends might be fun and get around that. What they say or reveal - argue amongst yourselves! 

More likely to get a “yes” might be a parade of surviving old time Saints players on the pitch before our last home match kick off for example to get a round of applause. Might be a nice touch to record both our past and current history making? 

Just a thought..😇

Sounds like the sort of thing that tinpot club down the road would crow about... That said.... ;)

STOP THE COUNT GREY T-SHIRT

6 hours ago, gio1saints said:

*More likely to get a “yes” might be a parade of surviving old time Saints players on the pitch before our last home match kick off for example to get a round of applause* Might be a nice touch to record both our past and current history making? 

Just a thought..😇

Agree, get the 1896/97 squad back together as special guests and do a ceremonial handing over of the record to the current squad, also maybe wear a one off kit based on the 1896 design to mark the occasion. 

• Haha 2

Longest unbeaten run

• 19 matches, 5 September 1921 – 31 December 1921

NB Millwall away was match 7 of Saints record breaking 30 matches unbeaten run in the Championship during the 2023-24 season that culminated in their automatic promotion to the EPL.

Edited 31 October, 2023 by gio1saints

We are getting there. Thirty league matches unbeaten is still on - 12 league matches later. 

Shout out to all the gentle people who laughed at my prediction. Please do it again. It’s obviously a good luck charm. 😇

The full post to check my other “insane” predictions: 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Cat said:

What's the record for home wins in a row? Currently on 9.

It looks like we went 19 league wins at home on the trot in Southern League days, 1894 to 1897. Ended by a 1-1 draw with Spurs. There may be later runs of home wins but I doubt none as long as that. Of course 9 includes the FA Cup. In Football League days the season we went 19 unbeaten we didn't get past 6 home wins in succession. That season was part of our longest unbeaten home run in the League, 31 in total, a long way to go (Jan 21 to Aug 22).

Avoid defeat at Swansea and that will be a record unbeaten away run, currently the record is 9 in 1949-50 and 1977-78, so already equal. My source (Saints, A Complete Record) only goes to 1987. I can't think of many times we went unbeaten away after that, indeed winning away was often an unexpected treat.

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

What's the record for home wins in a row? Currently on 9.

2011 we won shit loads in a row, 2nd half of the league one season and started so well in the championship. Think we won all but a couple of league games that calendar year, we won loads in a row to finish the L1 season and at least the first 7-8 in the championship. 

I haven’t looked it up but that’d be at least 15 from memory 

1 hour ago, Jack said:

2011 we won shit loads in a row, 2nd half of the league one season and started so well in the championship. Think we won all but a couple of league games that calendar year, we won loads in a row to finish the L1 season and at least the first 7-8 in the championship. 

I haven’t looked it up but that’d be at least 15 from memory 

You're quite correct. In fact it looks like 19 home league wins on the trot, latter part of 2010/11 (L1) and start of 2011/12 (Champ). So, unless someone comes up with something better 19 seems to be the record for consecutive home league wins, twice. A ways to go for that one.

• Like 3