Saints Pompey playoff final 2025

Esher Saint

Playoff finals are typically considered to be poor entertainment due to the extremely high stakes nature, aren't they? If we end up in the playoffs again it would be a case of having failed to achieve promotion in 2 years. I'd rather not think about it right now, thanks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Esher Saint said:

simple question - if you had the choice, what you you prefer, go up this season or play Pompey at Wembley in next years playoff final?

Not sure how that's even a question. Obviously I'd prefer us to go up this season. Playing the fishy few in a game at Wembley isn't some kind of achievement, thought it would be interesting.

10 hours ago, aintforever said:

Couldn’t think of anything worse than playing them cunts in a play-off final.

This emphasises your loser mentality. First thought it all possible negative outcomes. 

Beat them comfortably to win promotion roared on by 30,000 fans whilst theirs stand in silence, many leaving early to avoid seeing us celebrating wildly

The DEF chasing the mighty 657 all round London whilst the only thing they win that day is world hide and seek champions

Beat them on the pitch, ousting them in the stands, batter them off the pitch exposing 3 Pompey myths in one day. Who wouldn’t want that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Esher Saint said:

simple question - if you had the choice, what you you prefer, go up this season or play Pompey at Wembley in next years playoff final?

I think my preference would be to have not been relegated, with a secondary option of auto promotion at the first attempt (the Sport Republic option).  That combined with the Pompey Scum going into administration, during which process a litany of corruption and depravity is discovered ensuring that they have to relocate to Surrey as the Maritime Dons.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

I think my preference would be to have not been relegated, with a secondary option of auto promotion at the first attempt (the Sport Republic option).  That combined with the Pompey Scum going into administration, during which process a litany of corruption and depravity is discovered ensuring that they have to relocate to Surrey as the Maritime Dons.

i disagree. I hope we go up this season get relegated next season so we can go up again. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Playoff finals are typically considered to be poor entertainment due to the extremely high stakes nature, aren't they? If we end up in the playoffs again it would be a case of having failed to achieve promotion in 2 years. I'd rather not think about it right now, thanks.

only poor entertainment if you lose

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Not even worth thinking about. They are unlikely to be willing to fund a push to avoid relegation, let alone get anywhere near the play offs.

but their support is amazing and they have won so many trophies, as some of our own supporters remind us with great enthusiasm

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, LGTL said:

It would be quite a site to behold. I'd love to see how the plod would manage it.

Saints fans via Reading to Paddington and Pompey to Waterloo i'd imagine. 

After the game would be a nightmare though with both sets of fans trying to get down that road to the same tube station.

In the 30 plus years that there has been a single final to reach the top division the only derby games have been Leicester v Derby in 94 and Palace v West Ham in 2004. So they have never had to deal with the ferocity this game would bring. But there would be so much alignment of the stars needed - Saints and Pompey to finish in top six, both to avoid each other in the semis, both to win their semis - that it is not really a prospect I am worried about.