Saints 3-1 West Brom - Match Thread

Disco Stu

4 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Thanks for looking but I don’t think that’s it. I originally posted the image whilst I was in the stadium using my Samsung S21 phone. It appeared inverted in the post. Eventually I later managed to rotate the photo on my phone and I tried posting this inverted version. This is also displayed inverted, I.e unchanged. I shall have a look on my desktop PC Chrome browser.

It’s almost as though something about the forum mechanism is deciding which orientation the image is going to be.

20240518_174120.jpg

18 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Is it really, it's just a expression of joy. My 13 year old went on and will remember it all his life.

9 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yep, me and my 14 & 9 yo went on for 2 mins, took a couple of pics (nowhere near WBA fans) and left. I said to them about how their fans must be feeling on their long drive home, and mentioned Derby saying it wasn’t a nice feeling.

Not everyone who went on behaved in a despicable way. OTT comments on here generalising the situation.

Can you imagine explaining to them this morning, or on Monday morning, why they won't be going to Wembley , or St Mary's for a while ?  

I understand the euphoria that led to it, but it did end the celebrations for most people and the team prematurely. Also  accept what Billy says that not everyone acted badly, the goading of the WBA fans was unnecessary and pointless.

There are some clubs that merit abuse perhaps, but don't think Albion fans deserved that crap.  Wonder if all the hard cases would have been so keen if it was Milwall, or at Wembley with Leeds ?

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, whelk said:

Should’ve taken them on? Thought you thought of yourself as a hard bastard?  I mean you must be hard to call people cunts eh?

Not at all, you’re coming across as a bit of a prick though.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

One thing I saw last night stuck with me, a bloke ran on with his son (probably 11-12) from the Itchen corner. They went past a WBA player, big black bloke (No 4 I think), and the child stood next to him and said something , the player looked down, and then the lad held out his hand to shook hands with the player. 

Does this represent a better class of hooligan at Saints, or should we call for banning orders and tell them to fuck off and  follow rugby instead, as there is no place for such behaviour at football ?

Edited by Badger
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Likely only arrested those they saw try and punch a steward or a cop.

How are they physically meant to arrest 5000 people in one go?

They don't have a Christmas fund which is topped up from fines. They can't do that.

What's the fine for running on the pitch? £100? Would cost more in police time to do the paperwork, just not worth it when it's done on mass scale.

I reckon they'll watch the CCTV and see if they can nick anyone for public order offences or other assaults but that will be it.

The club may identify some and ban them though, that's up to them.

So a pointless, meaningless "law" then if it's not enforced?

7 hours ago, Elmore Saint said:

Any idea what kicked it off??

A few guys near the front of block 15 stood up, so those behind couldn't see, asked them to move, got told to f off so then more stood up and so it carried on. The stewards weren't up to controlling it, one lone youngish girl who tried, so she called for assistance and it went from there. Two or three refused to sit down, and three or four response team were trying to drag one guy out (they'd fully warned them, sit down or you're out). Not sure if it was a punch or headbutt that apparently (I didn't see it) then happened to the response guy but he had blood running down his face

Have to say, although the overall atmosphere was awesome, some of our regulars (including me) felt threatened by a few around us last night that don't normally sit there. Even asking someone to sit down resulted in an exchange that wasn't pleasant for the girls/women around. Hadn't had that issue at any other game but last night seemed to bring out the worst in some people...those who don't sit in those seats every week

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Badger said:

Can you imagine explaining to them this morning, or on Monday morning, why they won't be going to Wembley , or St Mary's for a while ?  

I understand the euphoria that led to it, but it did end the celebrations for most people and the team prematurely. Also  accept what Billy says that not everyone acted badly, the goading of the WBA fans was unnecessary and pointless.

There are some clubs that merit abuse perhaps, but don't think Albion fans deserved that crap.  Wonder if all the hard cases would have been so keen if it was Milwall, or at Wembley with Leeds ?

I think people are taking this too seriously. The atmosphere was electric last night, an atmosphere we all wanted beforehand and enjoyed in the moment and a cost that exuberance is some people celebrating on the pitch afterwards. Some people are talking about breaking the law, jeez they need to get a life, it terms of naughtyness entering to pitch to celebrate is the same as entering a yellow box junction before the exit is clear. The majority of people on the pitch were good natured and no different to the Coventry time. We were on the pitch away from the away fans, a few brilliant photos and down at Southampton Central by 10.30.

I get that people wanted to cheer the players but others wanted to celebrate on the pitch, two different things and one side won out I'm afraid. But there can't be anyone today who's enjoyment of the result or evening is seriously diminished by the pitch invasion. 

I can't believe it's this big a deal.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Ban the hooligans

PXL_20240517_205958839.thumb.jpg.88c5809f272b10079856a4d2dd1d1ba1.jpg

Bet that wheelchair fucked the grass up and some. Back in my day we wouldn't have even considered doing such incomprehensibly selfish and utterly aggressive things.

Edited by sfc4prem
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I think people are taking this too seriously. The atmosphere was electric last night, an atmosphere we all wanted beforehand and enjoyed in the moment and a cost that exuberance is some people celebrating on the pitch afterwards. Some people are talking about breaking the law, jeez they need to get a life, it terms of naughtyness entering to pitch to celebrate is the same as entering a yellow box junction before the exit is clear. The majority of people on the pitch were good natured and no different to the Coventry time. We were on the pitch away from the away fans, a few brilliant photos and down at Southampton Central by 10.30.

I get that people wanted to cheer the players but others wanted to celebrate on the pitch, two different things and one side won out I'm afraid. But there can't be anyone today who's enjoyment of the result or evening is seriously diminished by the pitch invasion. 

I can't believe it's this big a deal.

I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day, what exactly was it a celebration of? We didn't win anything, save for the chance to win another game for promotion. It's something I would expect a League 1 or League 2 club to do if I'm being honest. The sight of grown men sprinting across the pitch to wind up another set of fans just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. The stewards were a complete waste of time, it was pretty obivious it was going to happen, so instead of just watching it, surely it would have been better to form a line or something across the pitch so everyone was kept apart. I'd like to see eveyone try and get on the Wembley pitch next week, should we win. 

• Like 2

Chatting to Gio, he's says in his sports science experience stopping the players over celebrating last night, is a massive boost to our chances of winning on Sunday, massive.

When we win, the invaders should be invited on the pitch in the season opening friendly to do a lap of honour, led by that lovely lady in the wheelchair.

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I get what you are saying, but at the end of the day, what exactly was it a celebration of? We didn't win anything, save for the chance to win another game for promotion. It's something I would expect a League 1 or League 2 club to do if I'm being honest. The sight of grown men sprinting across the pitch to wind up another set of fans just leaves me with a bad taste in my mouth. The stewards were a complete waste of time, it was pretty obivious it was going to happen, so instead of just watching it, surely it would have been better to form a line or something across the pitch so everyone was kept apart. I'd like to see eveyone try and get on the Wembley pitch next week, should we win. 

You are talking about two different, those on the pitch passively and those taunting the wBA fans.

The passive fans were celebrating the result and a cracking night, they were having fun, I don't subscribe to the too school for school approach.

With regards the other guys, yeah they are idiots, but unfortunately idiots go to the football as well.

You want people to be in the sweet spot of not being 'noddy' but also not lairy. That's not going to happen I'm afraid.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

You are talking about two different, those on the pitch passively and those taunting the wBA fans.

The passive fans were celebrating the result and a cracking night, they were having fun, I don't subscribe to the too school for school approach.

With regards the other guys, yeah they are idiots, but unfortunately idiots go to the football as well.

You want people to be in the sweet spot of not being 'noddy' but also not lairy. That's not going to happen I'm afraid.

Maybe its an age thing, but just didn't see the point of being on the pitch when we haven't achieved anything. We just won a game of football that happens to lead to another game where we have a shot of promotion. 

• Like 4

On 17/05/2024 at 12:30, skintsaint said:

Stop their crosses coming in and WBA ain't all that. 

Classic 3-1 win coming ...

ahhhhh should of put a tenner on it!

Great 2nd half performance, shouted out in a restaurant when the first two went in which was a highlight.

Now for the impossible task of a playoff final ticket...😅

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Not at all, you’re coming across as a bit of a prick though.

That’s fair. Apologies

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

On 18/05/2024 at 11:01, Elmore Saint said:

👍

16 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

What a nice bloke. 

Most of these things are a bit egotistical, with some measure of ‘bellendery’ often thrown in.

The WBA pair come across really well don’t they ? And the end product is always quite entertaining and interesting. 

Have thought me and my sons should do one, ‘Badger Uncensored’ but I’d probably have been banned from St Mary’s by now. 

21 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

What a nice bloke. 

Totally. There’s a Dad & son who comment on the Vlog who also do their own too (also equally nice and fair). I like WBA - good club and fans. Great old stadium too. The atmosphere up there was superb. 

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Whilst looking at some of the scenes from Sunday on Youtube I stumbled on this.

Is this the same bloke who did a pre-match dance routine some years ago ?

Edited by Badger

33 minutes ago, Badger said:

Whilst looking at some of the scenes from Sunday on Youtube I stumbled on this.

Is this the same bloke who did a pre-match dance routine some years ago ?

Same guy. Absolutely nailed a dance to a Prodigy song, and it went "viral".